UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Melendez: I'm coming for that UFC title

6/28/13 9:03 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1069 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Gilbert Melendez was the reigning Strikeforce lightweight champion and as such was immediately granted a shot at the UFC lightweight title. He lost a five round decision to champion Benson Henderson, a decision he disagreed with, and Melendez still feels like he's the best lightweight on the planet:

"I think I am the best lightweight fighter in the world," Melendez told Bleacher Report. "I think that I made that goal and I think I've done that. I believe I showed that in my last fight. I think I proved that I am a better fighter than Benson. He's a tough matchup to fight and I feel like I did beat him that night. Maybe I lost on the judge's cards, but I know I won the fight. I held my ground and was ready to fight to the death right there and I don't think he was."

"That said, I'm revamping the goal now. I'm going after that lightweight title and I am going to continue to prove I'm the best lightweight fighter in the world. My goal now is to get that UFC strap. I don't care who has it. I'm coming for that UFC title."

read entire article...

6/28/13 9:05 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Augustus Caesar
916 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 06/28/13 9:17 PM

Gilbert will be fighting for the belt again really soon, he proved himself in his last fight.

6/28/13 9:11 PM
Tom O'Bedlam
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lightweight is a tough division at the moment. Phone Post
6/28/13 9:15 PM
yellow wrkahlc is dead
99 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nope. Phone Post 3.0
6/28/13 9:17 PM
ChaosOverkill
465 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

you proved you are about as good as him but didn't do enough to sway the judges. How is that the best again?

6/28/13 9:18 PM
Bill Pharoni
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He's likely at the back of the line again. It will take a dominant showing to get that shot again.
6/28/13 9:20 PM
Jack Skellington
732 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good, the guy is a killer & should only fight top 5 guys.
6/28/13 9:23 PM
Malvert the Janitor
812 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Comparable, IMO. Phone Post 3.0
6/28/13 9:24 PM
anunaki
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

hes only fighting the best so 2 decisive wins and hes up for another shot
6/28/13 9:25 PM
tdunning
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Gilbert should HAVE that UFC title
6/28/13 9:33 PM
RicGillespie
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

CRMartin11 - List of guys who might get lightweight title shot soon:

Aldo
Thomson
Pettis
Healy

I thought Melendez beat Henderson and I wish he was fighting a higher level opponent than Diego Sanchez. Sanchez is not even top 10! Melendez should have been given a fight with a clear top 5 guy to spring him back into title contention. I doubt he gets a title shot for beating Sanchez, especially with all the other contenders in the division. This sucks for Gilbert.

I think it's a really good showcase fight for him coming off that title loss. Good payday, good exposure, win/win for him. Unless of course he losses.
6/28/13 9:36 PM
Chiron
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

CRMartin11 - List of guys who might get lightweight title shot soon:

Aldo
Thomson
Pettis
Healy

I thought Melendez beat Henderson and I wish he was fighting a higher level opponent than Diego Sanchez. Sanchez is not even top 10! Melendez should have been given a fight with a clear top 5 guy to spring him back into title contention. I doubt he gets a title shot for beating Sanchez, especially with all the other contenders in the division. This sucks for Gilbert.

Ya, Gilbert is right up there but he's going to have to win a couple to get another title shot since he just lost one. And Diego isn't ranked top 10 but he's a tough fight for pretty much any LW. It's higher risk than reward, though I do think Gilbert will probably beat Diego.

The one thing that Gilbert has now is that he went to a razor thin decision with the current champ so he's proven his legitimacy in the top LW ranks to his doubters. If he beats Diego and then a top LW he'll probably get another title shot, which he stands a solid chance of winning.
6/28/13 9:37 PM
Chiron
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Willy the Coyote -  Pettis vs Gil, please Phone Post

That would be a great fight.
6/28/13 9:39 PM
stevekt
561 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Chiron - 
Willy the Coyote -  Pettis vs Gil, please Phone Post

That would be a great fight.

Yes please. WEC champ vs Strikeforce champ.
6/28/13 9:39 PM
Infamous Ed

Sanchez is gonna get obliterated Phone Post 3.0
6/28/13 9:50 PM
LILBROCK

He lost to Bendo and arguably lost to Thomson. You can't call yourself the best in the world when your only top level opponents in years are fights that are that close. He needs to be able to thoroughly beat at least 1 top 10 opponent.
6/28/13 10:18 PM
RKing85
151 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

well he should already be champion.
6/28/13 10:35 PM
Pessimist_Pete

Gil is going to destroy Sanchez. Phone Post 3.0
6/28/13 10:39 PM
MMAtador

No matter what you or that dumbass camp says, you lost that fight. Until you realize that and learn how to take a loss like a man you will never be champion in the UFC. Phone Post
6/29/13 3:59 AM
Anderson P. Sonnen
680 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He did great against Bendo, considering. I think he has more than a chance at getting that belt.

WAR GIL! Phone Post
6/29/13 10:57 AM
used2wrestle
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

it would really make more sense if he said this before the title fight. His last fight was literally for the title and he lost.

also he must have thought he was the champion already because he definitely wasn't fighting to win.
6/29/13 10:59 AM
used2wrestle
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

also i don't think gsp is ready to fight to the death but he wins 50-45 almost every time so that argument would only work if the competition was a "willingness to fight to the death" title, unfortunately the competition is judged on actual fighting.
6/29/13 12:08 PM
JStrongMMA

MMAtador - No matter what you or that dumbass camp says, you lost that fight. Until you realize that and learn how to take a loss like a man you will never be champion in the UFC. Phone Post
Well...most people agree he won that fight so... Phone Post
6/29/13 12:25 PM
Ryan Black
337 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I watched that fight with my daughter, and I remember saying "Geez... I think Benson just lost." Then I was shocked to see that he won. I'd have to go back and watch it again to be sure, but it seemed like a gift decision in my opinion, and I'm a big fan of Bendo's- I was rooting for him in that fight. That's when you know a decision is pretty suspect: when you're convinced that the fighter you're rooting for lost decisively.

But, like I said, I'm gonna go back and watch that fight again to make a better judgement. Phone Post
6/29/13 2:13 PM
ranier wolfcastle
876 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

imo gil edged out the win vs bendo

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.