UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> 'MMA' testimony aids Zimmerman case

6/28/13 10:10 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1106 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

History may prove that the day mixed martial arts went mainstream is when attorneys in the George Zimmerman murder trial spent a full half-hour discussing the nuances of "ground and pound."

John Good, a witness to the fight between Zimmerman and Travon Martin offered a credible account, stating that from what he could see, Martin was raining down blows on Zimmerman. He went further, describing the "darker-skinned person" as doing "ground & pound" on the person on bottom.

Zimmerman's attorney Mark O'Meara pushed further.  "You described the position as MMA-style ground and pound?" said O'Meara.

"That's what it looked like, yes," replied Good.

Good also said that based on the relative position of the two, the cries appeared to be coming from Zimmerman, not Martin. Good then offered further details indicating it was Martin on top.

Later, during cross examination, prosecutor Bernie de la Rionda asked whether it was possible a police officer could have used the term "ground and pound" before Good did.

"It's possible," said Good.

Mixed martial arts also made an appearance for the other side, as the prosecution tried to portray Zimmerman as the formidable fighter.

A physician assistant, Lindzee Folgate, testified about treating George Zimmerman's injuries the day following the incident, and revealed she had treated him previously, mentioning that Zimmerman trained in mixed martial arts.

Folgate testified that Zimmerman had filled out a medical history questionaire in 2011 noting that he was exercising three times a week by doing MMA. Folgate said that he had "difficulty with falling asleep and exercising with MMA, but that has not helped." Prosecutor Bernie de la Rionda asked her to repeat the statement, in an attempt to frame Zimmerman, not Martin as a skilled attacker.

However, a UGer familiar the case, FredEttishFan, noted that Zimmerman trained at a gym that offers MMA conditioning classes, which bear the same resemblance to MMA that cardio kickboxing does to Tyrone Spong. The prosecution was not familiar enough with the sport to know what while an escape from mount (where Zimmerman allegedly found himself vs Martin) is taught in the first week, or even day of real MMA training, it is not covered at all in cardio MMA classes.

Of all the ways MMA could be introduced to the mainstream, it is hard to think of one much worse than attorneys using it to help define a party as guilty in a racially-tinged murder trial, but MMA is now mainstream, for better and for worse.

Any fight fan, or for that matter anyone at all can tell you that Zimmerman looks like someone who lost a fight.

However, it cannot be forgotten that 17-year-old Trayvon Martin was unarmed, doing nothing untoward, and is dead of a gunshot wound to the chest.

6/28/13 11:02 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
EdTheGreat
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Luckily no mention on trane UFC was made
6/28/13 11:09 PM
Kings21
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think the true test how MMA is viewed in this trial will be how much the talking heads on Fox News, CNN, etc jump on it. Saw a clip of two dingleberries who call themselves news anchors act out the supposed struggle between Martin and Zimmerman. With any luck at all, they will have no idea what MMA of GnP is and they'll assume its irrelevant. I hope.

I do however think that I'm personally seeing more and more news articles involving people who train MMA and chase down a robber or someone who just committed a murder. We all know the cable media likes to dwell on the negative though.
6/28/13 11:11 PM
THE CACTUS KID
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

EdTheGreat - Luckily no mention on trane UFC was made

6/28/13 11:23 PM
cswhitey321
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This is about to become the most annoying thread on the UG.... Phone Post 3.0
6/28/13 11:25 PM
thatkidrichard91

Edited: 06/28/13 11:45 PM
Edit
6/28/13 11:26 PM
ShanTheMan
701 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I thought this kind of shit could only ruin the OG........UG too now I guess

For shame UG Blog
6/28/13 11:38 PM
future_jabroni
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

When the case was first reported I assumed that Zimmerman hadn't had any training and I believed that he wouldn't have panicked to the point of shooting someone if he had some basic self defense training.
You know what they say about assumptions.

6/28/13 11:46 PM
LILBROCK

thatkidrichard91 - Edit

^

Knows absolutely nothing about the case or law in general
6/28/13 11:46 PM
LILBROCK

Nice last minute edit
6/28/13 11:47 PM
ChaosOverkill
518 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Floridians doing dumb stuff and being racist to each other and one is dead?

Yeah there's a shock. Anyone who riots no matter the verdict is a knuckle dragger.

6/29/13 12:11 AM
Darup

Classic self defense. You can't bounce someone's head off the the curb and expect him to not defend himself. Phone Post
6/29/13 12:19 AM
ClearwaterFLMMA
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Darup -  Classic self defense. You can't bounce someone's head off the the curb and expect him to not defend himself. Phone Post

Just like you shouldn't pursue someone when you are told not to by the dispatcher. Back the fuck off and you wouldn't get your ass whipped trying to be neighborhood hero to a kid going to get some skittles.
6/29/13 12:23 AM
Darup

ClearwaterFLMMA -
Darup -  Classic self defense. You can't bounce someone's head off the the curb and expect him to not defend himself. Phone Post

Just like you shouldn't pursue someone when you are told not to by the dispatcher. Back the fuck off and you wouldn't get your ass whipped trying to be neighborhood hero to a kid going to get some skittles.
You might want to read up on the actual facts being presented at trial. Phone Post
6/29/13 12:35 AM
FredEttishFan
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I live very close to Sanford and happen to know the defense attorney Mark o'Mara. He was a client of mine for years. I also have been traneing UFC for 8 years. No one in the courtroom has any idea what they're talking about. The gym where Zimmerman went only offers MMA conditioning classes (think: cardio kickboxing). They have kickboxing as well but certainly no developed MMA training program. If the defense had any idea what they were talking about, they would question why a guy that trains 3 days per week couldn't escape the mount against a 17year old with no training whatsoever. I mean, damn. That was one of the first things I ever learned.
6/29/13 12:41 AM
Brian Rule
267 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

FredEttishFan - I live very close to Sanford and happen to know the defense attorney Mark o'Mara. He was a client of mine for years. I also have been traneing UFC for 8 years. No one in the courtroom has any idea what they're talking about. The gym where Zimmerman went only offers MMA conditioning classes (think: cardio kickboxing). They have kickboxing as well but certainly no developed MMA training program. If the defense had any idea what they were talking about, they would question why a guy that trains 3 days per week couldn't escape the mount against a 17year old with no training whatsoever. I mean, damn. That was one of the first things I ever learned.

voted up for great insight
6/29/13 12:44 AM
Darup

Here is a good recap by an attorney with video of every day of the trial.

http://legalinsurrection.com/tag/george-zimmerman-trial/ Phone Post
6/29/13 12:53 AM
ender852
121 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

who cares if he got his ass kicked before he murdered that kid? He stalked a 17 year old kid who bought candy and then he shot him to death. 

fucking florida and their stand your ground law, that whole state needs to fall off into the ocean.

6/29/13 12:55 AM
BTR
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

FredEttishFan brings up a good point. If they were discussing the torque of a type of car used in a hit and run (maybe bad example but let's just say) would they not be smart enough to bring in someone who is an expert in cars?? Ignorant on both sides really. Whichever side did their homework on that (if it's such a crucial point in the case) could have really come out on top (no pun intended) if they'd have brought in an MMA expert and asked the right questions.

That said, why is it always public assumption that the guy who lost the fight could not have started it?
6/29/13 12:59 AM
Darup

ender852 -

who cares if he got his ass kicked before he murdered that kid? He stalked a 17 year old kid who bought candy and then he shot him to death. 

fucking florida and their stand your ground law, that whole state needs to fall off into the ocean.

And the uninformed comments continue! Phone Post
6/29/13 1:31 AM
yellow wrkahlc is dead
104 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

People, people, people. Let's discuss this like civilized members of society...

...over on the OG. Phone Post 3.0
6/29/13 4:48 AM
HeHitsMeBecauseHeLovesMe

All of the damage on Zimmerman, could have been done with 1 punch. Phone Post
6/29/13 4:50 AM
HeHitsMeBecauseHeLovesMe

Darup -
ender852 -

And the uninformed comments continue! Phone Post
I mean, you can't deny that he followed and unarmed teen, that wasn't breaking any laws. It's a fact, that's how this all started. Phone Post
6/29/13 7:16 AM
Gomrad
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

FredEttishFan - I live very close to Sanford and happen to know the defense attorney Mark o'Mara. He was a client of mine for years. I also have been traneing UFC for 8 years. No one in the courtroom has any idea what they're talking about. The gym where Zimmerman went only offers MMA conditioning classes (think: cardio kickboxing). They have kickboxing as well but certainly no developed MMA training program. If the defense had any idea what they were talking about, they would question why a guy that trains 3 days per week couldn't escape the mount against a 17year old with no training whatsoever. I mean, damn. That was one of the first things I ever learned.
What gym? Phone Post 3.0
6/29/13 7:23 AM
Malvert the Janitor
843 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

cswhitey321 - This is about to become the most annoying thread on the UG.... Phone Post 3.0
Voted up Phone Post 3.0

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.