UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> How Do You Feel About HEADBUTTS???

6/30/13 9:46 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Smith1234
55 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In shocked 52 pct say yes. It would make the sport a million times more boring.

Vale tudo had many many boring fights. And the exciting ones weren't exciting because of head butts.

We would have super tight closed guards with the fighters grappling to inflict or defend headbutts. It would necessitate the proper calling of stand ups. It would kill or at least make materially worse the ground game. Phone Post 3.0
6/30/13 9:50 AM
Smith1234
55 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^^ people watch Kerr and Coleman highlights and see brutal finishes, etc.

But if you actually watch an entire vale tudo card, you would see how very boring it is.

The rule set made Chuck Liddel boring against Pele. That should be a fight to the finish but was a boring fight. Not blaming either guy, that's just what the result often was back then. Phone Post 3.0
6/30/13 9:53 AM
Smith1234

Watch a guy like Don Frye get held down and face turned to pulp by headbutts. I don't find that entertaining at all, personally. Phone Post 3.0
6/30/13 9:59 AM
dangerboy12
100 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I would like to see a promotion use rules closer to NHB. Things like no rounds, fewer banned moves, etc.

But I don't want to see all of MMA go that way. Headbutts really do increase offensive options from the top, but IMO there really isn't a lack of offense in today's MMA. Less than half of the fights in the UFC go to decision, and that number gets even smaller and smaller as you go lower in the ranks. Some regional promotions can go multiple cards without having one decision.

So, I voted yes, I would like to see headbutts back, but not in the UFC. Maybe another major promotion outside of the US can use rules closer to NHB to set themselves apart. I'd definitely watch.
6/30/13 11:22 AM
Smith1234

Danger boy, I agree with that.

I always liked the Rumble on the Rocks and other Hawaii promotions that had different rules (elbows and knees on the ground and stomps, but no headbutts). That was the best rule set IMO Phone Post 3.0
6/30/13 11:26 AM
Smith1234

^ actually I think they may have had no stomps, but I thought I remember Baroni getting stomped a lot by Kala Hose in Icon Phone Post 3.0
6/30/13 11:37 AM
Masakyst
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Vale tudo had many many boring fights. And the exciting ones weren't exciting because of head butts

This right here.

Headbutts just don't get my nipples hard, y'know?
6/30/13 11:38 AM
Evzey
84 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

No worse than elbows but they look worse so not for me.

I want to see the sport from not regress Phone Post
6/30/13 11:39 AM
Evzey
84 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Grow bastard predictive txt Phone Post
6/30/13 12:12 PM
Pro Ice
1925 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Pretty sure we'll never see headbutts again in a regulated event

They were brutal but a huge part of the game back then

Really seperated the men from the boys

6/30/13 1:24 PM
Winston Wolf
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 06/30/13 1:24 PM
Haulport can make thread after thread about headbuts He can write the commision etc It will never ever be legal in sanctioned MMA and with good reason Its barbaric,takes no skill and is not entertaining
6/30/13 1:54 PM
ironbear
44 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I personally love them.:)
6/30/13 2:03 PM
Pro Ice
1925 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ironbear - I personally love them.:)

One of first fights that pops into my head when think headbutts

6/30/13 2:20 PM
Pro Ice

For Mix6APlix

6/30/13 2:20 PM
Haulport

Smith1234 - ^^ people watch Kerr and Coleman highlights and see brutal finishes, etc.

But if you actually watch an entire vale tudo card, you would see how very boring it is.

The rule set made Chuck Liddel boring against Pele. That should be a fight to the finish but was a boring fight. Not blaming either guy, that's just what the result often was back then. Phone Post 3.0

Many Vale Tudo fights were boring because there were absolutely NO stand-ups and no (or very long) time limits that caused fighters to gas out and/or conserve their energy for the long 30+ min haul. It had nothing to do with headbutts.

Actually there is a NHB Frankie Edgar fight out there with Frankie throwing headbutts left and right. It is one of his most exciting fights.

6/30/13 2:29 PM
Haulport

Winston Wolf - Haulport can make thread after thread about headbuts He can write the commision etc It will never ever be legal in sanctioned MMA and with good reason Its barbaric,takes no skill and is not entertaining

I gave up discussing things with the Commission a long time ago. Right after I realized that NOTHING will ever change and they couldn't care less about the sport (well at least Kizer, the Fertittas and a bunch of others). I have some good buddies who are judges and no one thinks anything is going to change.

I was just curious how people feel about them because NHB always gets ~15% of the vote on my ruleset polls and I'm a PRIDE rules + elbows guy but I think I would like to see headbutts in the mix. So I was curious is that was a completely out of the loop feeling. Apparently it isn't (64% of those polled like them).

And PLEASE STOP with your "unskilled/barbaric/street fight" BULLSHIT. You claim that every technique you don't like requires no skill. That is ignorant beyond belief and too stupid for words for someone who trained with Matt Serra, so just give it up...............

6/30/13 2:31 PM
Haulport

Pro Ice - 

For Mix6APlix

I remember watching that live. That was one of the coolest headbutts ever!

6/30/13 2:31 PM
Haulport

Edited: 06/30/13 2:37 PM
ironbear - I personally love them.:)

LOL!!!

And Pro Ice follows that right up!

I have own that fight on VHS and then DVD for many many years...

6/30/13 2:34 PM
Haulport

Edited: 06/30/13 2:39 PM
Winston Wolf - barbaric.Haulport u dont care about the fighters as long as ur entertained

You don't seem to understand how physics works. You should become a Commissioner because they don't get it either.

A series of headbutts are FAR LESS DANGEROUS than a 10 round boxing match or an NFL game on Sunday. Do you comprehend what that means?

6/30/13 2:40 PM
Jacinto
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think they should be legal again really but it will never happen. I am against nutshots but i was really glad that Hackney got to pound that sorry POS rapist Joe Son's balls in before they banned them.
6/30/13 2:42 PM
I LOVE GSP

Edited: 06/30/13 2:42 PM
lol,this place is awesome.
6/30/13 2:43 PM
ipponssting
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

No thanks. People still view hitting people once they're on the floor a bit nasty. Throwing headbutts in hardly makes it any more appealing to Joe Public. Phone Post
6/30/13 2:46 PM
Smith1234

Haul port, it does have to do with head butts. Head butts are the reason why the guard players .... I don't even want to call it guard play. It was holding on in closed guard for dear life.

Standups don't change what will happen when it's on the ground. It is the old bottom headlock, grip break, tie up an maybe some headbutts thrown in, even enough to cause a bloody mess.

Personally I don't like them. I suspect most people voting haven't seen the many boring fights from that era. Phone Post 3.0
6/30/13 2:52 PM
Haulport

Smith1234 - Haul port, it does have to do with head butts. Head butts are the reason why the guard players .... I don't even want to call it guard play. It was holding on in closed guard for dear life.

Standups don't change what will happen when it's on the ground. It is the old bottom headlock, grip break, tie up an maybe some headbutts thrown in, even enough to cause a bloody mess.

Personally I don't like them. I suspect most people voting haven't seen the many boring fights from that era. Phone Post 3.0

I fully understand where you are going (and perhaps my "it has nothing to do with" wa a bit of an overstatement) but the same arguement is used for elbows (Nick Diaz recently revisted that line of thought). To me, if you need to eliminate techniques to enable a martial art to work properly, than it isn't a very effective martial art. So if a BJJ guy can't get anything going because of the presence of headbutts than he needs to stay off his back.

6/30/13 2:54 PM
Winston Wolf

Haulport - 
Winston Wolf - Haulport can make thread after thread about headbuts He can write the commision etc It will never ever be legal in sanctioned MMA and with good reason Its barbaric,takes no skill and is not entertaining

I gave up discussing things with the Commission a long time ago. Right after I realized that NOTHING will ever change and they couldn't care less about the sport (well at least Kizer, the Fertittas and a bunch of others). I have some good buddies who are judges and no one thinks anything is going to change.

I was just curious how people feel about them because NHB always gets ~15% of the vote on my ruleset polls and I'm a PRIDE rules + elbows guy but I think I would like to see headbutts in the mix. So I was curious is that was a completely out of the loop feeling. Apparently it isn't (64% of those polled like them).

And PLEASE STOP with your "unskilled/barbaric/street fight" BULLSHIT. You claim that every technique you don't like requires no skill. That is ignorant beyond belief and too stupid for words for someone who trained with Matt Serra, so just give it up...............

ya ? like what ? name one technique i said was barbaric besides head buts ? There is zero skill in headbuts It is just someone willing to possible bust their own head open to possible bust there opponents head open.You mean to tell me their is skill ? if so tell me the skill involved.Ill give u foot stomps require some skill ( not much more but more ) What other technique did i claim to be barbaric ??? ??????????????????????????????????????????????

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.