UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Gennadiy Golovkin vs Andre Ward

6/30/13 1:45 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
mghan44
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just came across this yahoo article:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/boxing--gennady-golovkin-too-talented-matthew-macklin-045329645.html

Basically says there is no one out there at Middleweight in boxing that can compete with Gennadiy Golovkin at the moment. I was surprised reading it to see no mention of a potential matchup with Andre Ward.

Ward competes at super middleweight (168) and Golovkin competes at middleweight (168), not a very large difference and it seems like it wouldn't be difficult to agree to a solid catch weight or have one move up or down.

To be honest, I haven't seen much of Golovkin so I can't comment on his ability but the article sure talks him up a lot and his record is damn impressive. That being said, I have Ward in my top 3 p4p (Floyd, Ward and Canelo in no order) and can't see many guys beating him.

Any thoughts on this matchup or does anyone who is more informed in the boxing world know anything about its feasibility. Or anyone know anything about who Andre Ward is going to fight next (hasn't fought since sept 2012).
6/30/13 1:57 AM
Eggbert
476 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Money talks. Brutal body punch he finished McDonald? With tonight Phone Post 3.0
6/30/13 2:00 AM
AllAmericanBoxing
166 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Eggbert - Money talks. Brutal body punch he finished McDonald? With tonight Phone Post 3.0
Macklin but that's a fight I would want to see. Who else does Ward have to fight? Lol Phone Post
6/30/13 2:00 AM
HossPearson
119 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^ Macklin, and yes. Phone Post 3.0
6/30/13 2:01 AM
HossPearson
119 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Also, before he looks for a super fight, I'd like to see him dethrone Martinez. Phone Post 3.0
6/30/13 2:07 AM
AlexanderTheGOAT
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GGG has some heavy hands Phone Post 3.0
6/30/13 2:10 AM
HeHitsMeBecauseHeLovesMe

Yeah, 168 and 168 aren't very far apart. Phone Post
6/30/13 2:12 AM
TX_432
139 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

HossPearson - Also, before he looks for a super fight, I'd like to see him dethrone Martinez. Phone Post 3.0
No way Martinez signs that right. Phone Post
6/30/13 2:19 AM
RCP_TT4LIFE
101 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The biggest problem with killers like Gennady and Matthysse is that no one wants to fight them.

Ward has made it clear he wants money fights. He wants Chavez Jr, he doesn't want to go anywhere near GGG. Martinez's promoter Lou Dibella downright said Martinez isn't going to fight that animal. So it's very difficult for those guys to get fights.
6/30/13 2:25 AM
mghan44
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

HeHitsMeBecauseHeLovesMe -  Yeah, 168 and 168 aren't very far apart. Phone Post

ha Golovkin fights at 160, sorry.

I can't see how a Ward/Golovkin match up would not be a money maker. Undefeated gold medalist and one of, if not THE best all around boxers alive in Ward vs undefeated knockout machine.

I can't see Ward turning down a fight like that.
6/30/13 2:37 AM
Barry_BondsMVP
908 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ward beats him handly

6/30/13 2:37 AM
newjack900

Its fun to wish but that fight wont happen anytime soon. GGG's next 2 fights will probably be Geale (as long as he beats Barker in Aug) & Sergio (unless he ducks, I don't think he will). Ward is still coming back from his shoulder surgery & without an opponent although I heard him say he'd like to fight in sep-oct range. I don't see his next fight being vs a big name opp. Btw I love Canelo as much as anybody but putting him at #3 in p4p right now is a stretch.
6/30/13 2:42 AM
I LOVE GSP

just came across this on si.

http://mma-boxing.si.com/2013/06/30/three-thoughts-gennady-golovkin-brutalizes-matthew-macklin/?sct=hp_wr_a2&eref=sihp

Who's next? Anyone? Bueller? Think any middleweight is eager to get in with Golovkin? After the fight, Golovkin was asked about Sergio Martinez, the 160-pound division's money man who is out for the rest of the year with multiple injuries. Golovkin was all for it. Lou DiBella, Martinez's promoter, was not.

"It's not that its out of the question," DiBella said. "But he's not going to come off a 14-month layoff and fight this animal."

Fortunately for Golovkin, he is going to start attracting some top opponents, thanks to HBO's exposure. Exposure means money, and Golovkin's license fees will continue to rise. Top Rank's Bob Arum said he is open to a fight with Julio Cesar Chavez Jr., and IBF titleholder Daniel Geale--who fights on HBO in August--is another possibility. Even Ward is now warming to it; he told me after the fight that he has no problem fighting Golovkin, but said Golovkin's team "doesn't want it right now."

In short: Golovkin is going to start getting bigger fights. And that's good news for everybody.
6/30/13 2:50 AM
The Mouth

GGG said no to possible catch weight fights with ward and Canelo.

So as of right now, this discussion is as close as we will get.

But money talks. Phone Post
6/30/13 4:53 AM
i_shogun_ruas

Barry_BondsMVP -

Ward beats him handly

Nope GGG all day Phone Post 3.0
6/30/13 4:59 AM
Galanis
485 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 06/30/13 4:59 AM

I want to see Martinez vs Mayweather/Alvarez winner, and GGG vs Ward. Then let the winner of those fights go at it (dunno if Mayweather would face GGG; definitely wouldn't face Ward though due to size.. but I thought he wouldn't fight Canelo either).

I don't think we will see Sergio fight Golovkin. At this stage I think GGG might win by KO.. Sergio is a favorite of mine but I think he has gotten old :-/

6/30/13 5:09 AM
bennit
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GGG will walk through Geale IMO.JCC Jnr may be unable to make 160 anymore.

Unfortunatly Pirog has fallen off the radar with injury and inactivity as that would be a good fight.

Maybe just maybe Sam Soliman may be able to give him a few rounds with his style but couldnt possibly see Sam lasting with him.

Peter Quillen is probably a Koala (Protected Species) and wouldnt be fed to GGG.

Mundine and Sturm are Koalas too

Martinez is at the end of his career and will need to tune up before he faces GGG.

A tune up at 168 for GGG and then a Froch fight wouldnt be bad or a fight with Steiglitz for IBF 168 title could warm him up for a fight with Ward.

If Ward ducks him or has Promoter problems then Bika would also land him a title if he wins.

GGG could be this decades Kostya Tzsyu

6/30/13 5:16 AM
Escopeta
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think a good technician beats GGG. Andre is a great one.
6/30/13 5:19 AM
Barry_BondsMVP
908 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i_shogun_ruas - 
Barry_BondsMVP -

Ward beats him handly

to big and smart for GGG...he'll use foot work and smother GGG and shut his offense down.

6/30/13 5:34 AM
bennit

Barry_BondsMVP - 
i_shogun_ruas - 
Barry_BondsMVP -

Ward beats him handly

to big and smart for GGG...he'll use foot work and smother GGG and shut his offense down.

Its a big call to pick GGG as the favourite in a Wrd fight at a full 168.

IF Canelo beats Mayweather then a catch weight fight between Canelo and GGG would be a blockbuster.

Cannot possibly see GGG making 154 and cannot see him taking his strength advantage into 168 straight away.

6/30/13 10:42 AM
mghan44

newjack900 - Its fun to wish but that fight wont happen anytime soon. GGG's next 2 fights will probably be Geale (as long as he beats Barker in Aug) & Sergio (unless he ducks, I don't think he will). Ward is still coming back from his shoulder surgery & without an opponent although I heard him say he'd like to fight in sep-oct range. I don't see his next fight being vs a big name opp. Btw I love Canelo as much as anybody but putting him at #3 in p4p right now is a stretch.

I tend to not consider HWs when I think p4p in boxing (even though I don't agree with omitting them) so no Klitchko on my list. The only person I see more worthy is Marquez. Honestly, I may be in the minority but I think Canelo is going to get past Floyd.

I've said it before and I will say it again though, p4p lists in boxing and MMA are speculative and opinionated and mean nothing.
6/30/13 11:23 AM
RKing85
130 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

A casual boxing fan so I wasn't overly familiar with Golovkin before this weekend, but I am certainly excited about him now.
6/30/13 11:31 AM
Evzey
83 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GGG is a beat Ward would decision him but he beats the piss out of Sergio Phone Post
6/30/13 12:10 PM
boxing wiz
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GGG would not beat Ward, and it possibly could be a loss for GGG by route. GGG is not a by middleweight first off. There is money to be made still at 160. If GGG is looking for the big fights, he should love down and fight Floyd-Canelo winner(which should be Floyd). If Canelo did win, he wouldn't want any part of GGG, but will be out of opponents and might not have a choice. It's been reported that GGG and Canelo spared in Big Bear, and Canelo wasn't all that competitive. Yes it was a couple of years ago, but I still think it was a glimps of how that fight would go.
Ward is better than Canelo in any aspect, other than MAYBE power. And Ward is the smartest fighter under 35 in boxing. Just a horrible match up for GGG.
6/30/13 12:17 PM
BradGluckman
573 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Would have loved to see GGG against the Sergio of three to four years ago today he would kill Sergio at 38 he is just not the same fighter

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.