UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Sonnen opens as favorite over Rua

7/1/13 1:34 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
557 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

SHOGUN250 - Shogun's REALLY only sustained two brutal, brutal fights, and in one of those he came back over the final rounds and arguably won. That being said, yeah he's slowed down considerably, but surprisingly Sonnen is 5 years older and has more fights on his record. Has Shogun slowed down more? Maybe, but I still think he's got the chops to get this done, both on the feet and especially on the ground. I won't be surprised to see a close decision go Chaels way, but I think we see Shogun finish via GNP late in the first/early second.
Good post. Interesting fight in that Shogun's biggest weakness is wrestling and Chael's is someone who's really good at bjj. The problem is even if Shogun can get off his back (I think he will) Chael will just keep taking him down.

It basically comes down to if Shogun can finish him on the ground before he gets too tired. Phone Post
7/1/13 1:35 PM
FeardBucker
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

YousHerName - Chael has been able to escape his last few fights without getting seriously hurt. Im afraid he wont be able to against shogun. This ends violently unless he gives up a submission early. But I have a feeling Shogun ends Sonnens career Phone Post
Really? If bones and Silva couldn't I'm curious how you think shogun does? Shogun needs to take it early, either the first or before halfway through the second or chael wrestles him to a decision Phone Post
7/1/13 1:42 PM
UNREASONABLE EXPECTATIONS
319 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Chael's only lost to the GOAT and Bones recently.  People act like he's losing to #5 ranked guys or something.

Chael wears him out for a UD victory.

7/1/13 1:46 PM
ThinkMMA
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

inf0 -
rMar89 -  Chael takes it easily. Shogun is but a shadow of his former self Phone Post

just another blind Sonnen nut hugger with no grasp of reality.

Seriously. Since when is Shogun ever an easy fight? Fucking forum is so blind.

Shogun by sub. Phone Post 3.0
7/1/13 1:50 PM
Lazer MMA
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

FeardBucker - 
YousHerName - Chael has been able to escape his last few fights without getting seriously hurt. Im afraid he wont be able to against shogun. This ends violently unless he gives up a submission early. But I have a feeling Shogun ends Sonnens career Phone Post
Really? If bones and Silva couldn't I'm curious how you think shogun does? Shogun needs to take it early, either the first or before halfway through the second or chael wrestles him to a decision Phone Post

Shogun just needs to show TF up unhurt period!

It would be Sonnen's biggest win ever.

Both that dream and Sonnen to be swept away with ease by Shogun who has swept better with ease. Sonnen to be sent back to MW again. He can engage Boetsch there who also had no business @ LHW.

This fight is ending by stoppage, Shogun via TKO or sub it that simple. I doubt it goes past three, but if it goes to rd.5 Shogun will stop him there regardless. Most likely Shogun ends the fight in round 1. Major league player Vs a minor league player.

7/1/13 1:54 PM
ogmonster
88 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ThinkMMA -
inf0 -
rMar89 -  Chael takes it easily. Shogun is but a shadow of his former self Phone Post

This, jones literally had to beat the piss out of shogun for the full duration of the fight and even then he put up perhaps 10 times the fight and that chael did against jones in terms of heart and durability, love chael as much as any other fighter but to say easy fight against a monster like rua is plain nuts , tell me anyone who's had an easy night against shogun ? Phone Post 3.0
7/1/13 1:58 PM
YousHerName
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lazer MMA -
FeardBucker - 

Shogun just needs to show TF up unhurt period!

It would be Sonnen's biggest win ever.

Both that dream and Sonnen to be swept away with ease by Shogun who has swept better with ease. Sonnen to be sent back to MW again. He can engage Boetsch there who also had no business @ LHW.

This fight is ending by stoppage, Shogun via TKO or sub it that simple. I doubt it goes past three, but if it goes to rd.5 Shogun will stop him there regardless. Most likely Shogun ends the fight in round 1. Major league player Vs a minor league player.

Agreed. Even if Shale can take him down Shoguns gaurd is too nasty for him. Shail literally has no options to win this fight other than shogun injuring himself. Shogun by Kneebah or VIOLENT KO Phone Post
7/1/13 2:13 PM
ThinkMMA
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I just don't think people really realize how nasty shogun's guard is. His sweeps (helicopter) on Machida were brilliant.

Here's hoping for a Kneebah Phone Post 3.0
7/1/13 4:38 PM
GSPsShadyHandWraps
102 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

OnlyTheStrongSurvive - 
SHOGUN250 - Shogun's REALLY only sustained two brutal, brutal fights, and in one of those he came back over the final rounds and arguably won. That being said, yeah he's slowed down considerably, but surprisingly Sonnen is 5 years older and has more fights on his record. Has Shogun slowed down more? Maybe, but I still think he's got the chops to get this done, both on the feet and especially on the ground. I won't be surprised to see a close decision go Chaels way, but I think we see Shogun finish via GNP late in the first/early second.
Good post. Interesting fight in that Shogun's biggest weakness is wrestling and Chael's is someone who's really good at bjj. The problem is even if Shogun can get off his back (I think he will) Chael will just keep taking him down.

It basically comes down to if Shogun can finish him on the ground before he gets too tired. Phone Post

I think Shoguns weakness against wrestlers is overblown

He took down Chuck Liddell, he swept Coleman multiple times, he used deep half guard to leglock Randleman, he used deep half guard to catch Hendo in a leglock and turned it to get back to his feet, he used deep half to scramble back to his feet against Machida. The only guy to successfully G&P him was Jon Jones who is in a completely different universe. And even there despite taking a massive beating, Shogun scrambled back to his feet atleast once IIRC

Chael is facing the same problem like he did vs Anderson. He can take Shogun down but he cant really hurt him, he has to ride the clock for 15-25 minutes while Shogun only needs one opening to change the fight.

And looking at his recent pics, he looks in pretty good shape, better than i have ever seen him
7/1/13 4:53 PM
Neil McCauley

^nice post brotha. Chael will be lucky to win a decision and he will get his ass far worse than shogun n the process. Something like the marquart fight at best. Phone Post
7/1/13 5:06 PM
RKing85
178 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's basically a pick em fight. I would have given a slight edge to Rua, but it's close so can't really complain.
7/1/13 5:09 PM
DumpsterBaby
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wasamic -
TUFkiller - Sorry to say it boys but Sonnen takes this easily. Shogun is a Shell of his former self and hasn't look great in a while Phone Post 3.0
Looked great vs Vera and forest. He's with kings again. Thank god. I bet he looks great. He will half guard submit sonnen Phone Post 3.0
He didn't look that great against Vera. Phone Post
7/1/13 5:27 PM
Neil McCauley

Vera would beat up chael don't get it twisted. Couture is way better than chael, stylistically similar and he had nothing for vera. Phone Post
7/1/13 6:46 PM
Jacinto
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What is a good site to wager on for MMA?
7/1/13 8:26 PM
Colboyo
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

How are Shogun's knees for the fight?
7/1/13 11:31 PM
MasterofMartialArts
130 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wasamic -
TUFkiller - Sorry to say it boys but Sonnen takes this easily. Shogun is a Shell of his former self and hasn't look great in a while Phone Post 3.0
Looked great vs Vera and forest. He's with kings again. Thank god. I bet he looks great. He will half guard submit sonnen Phone Post 3.0
No. He looked great against Forrest the second time (who knows how good his cardio was the fight was so short), and looked horrible against Vera. His striking was slow and sloppy, and his cardio was bad. Hopefully he worked strength and conditioning at Kings as well as striking, or him being there means shit. Phone Post 3.0
7/1/13 11:41 PM
JamesTheWelshDR
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

inf0 -

In shogun we trust Phone Post
7/2/13 8:54 AM
Carma

Money to be made on Rua....WHO-AH!
7/2/13 3:38 PM
Jetster
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Well if it comes doown to heart we all know Rua will eat em' alive...Chael talks big and starts big but does not have the heart of Rua

i have come to the sad realization that Rua will never be 2005 Rua :(...he is however still a very good fighter...hopefully he traind well and his body can hold up and cardio....regardless Chael is fighting a real man here with MMA's biggest heart.
7/2/13 4:17 PM
IIAces

Looks like ill be good making easy money on this. Phone Post 3.0
7/2/13 6:51 PM
NotJustA12er

Cheal win

Ha ha , like fuck he will . Phone Post 3.0
7/2/13 8:10 PM
Chemmy

Shogun by TKO Phone Post 3.0
7/2/13 8:14 PM
McCorkledbyMartialArtsMixed
186 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Chael is going to wrestle fuck him senseless.
7/2/13 8:28 PM
XcessiveZ

ogmonster -
ThinkMMA -
inf0 -

This, jones literally had to beat the piss out of shogun for the full duration of the fight and even then he put up perhaps 10 times the fight and that chael did against jones in terms of heart and durability, love chael as much as any other fighter but to say easy fight against a monster like rua is plain nuts , tell me anyone who's had an easy night against shogun ? Phone Post 3.0
To be fair if Keith Peterson had reffed the Shogun/Jones fight it probably would have been stopped much sooner.The Chael vs Jones fight was a bit of an early stoppage. Phone Post 3.0
7/2/13 10:04 PM
ThinkMMA

XcessiveZ -
ogmonster -
ThinkMMA -
inf0 -

To be fair if Keith Peterson had reffed the Shogun/Jones fight it probably would have been stopped much sooner.The Chael vs Jones fight was a bit of an early stoppage. Phone Post 3.0
It is kind of crazy to think that if chael could have escaped that he would have been champ. Or would it be nc? Phone Post 3.0

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.