UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Damon Martin: Why Fedor is not the GOAT

7/1/13 12:34 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1030 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

B/R Featured Columnist Damon Martin makes the argument that Anderson Silva, not Fedor Emelianenko is the greatest fighter of all time. Here is his argument against Fedor:

He put together an incredible undefeated run between 2001 and 2008, winning a total of 28 fights in a row.  Emelianenko was the conquering ruler of the heavyweights in Pride when they proudly boasted the strongest division the sport has ever seen.

What kills Emelianenko in the greatest-of-all–time-discussion is the fact that his streak is littered with no names and fights that were obvious set-ups for him to destroy the opposition.  At the time when Pride was at its apex, fights were routinely matched up as entertainment more than actually progressing a fighter's career by facing the best of the best in their division.

Emelianenko's streak is still ultra impressive, but it's hard to ignore that some of those wins came over names like Yuji Nagata (he was 0-1 when he faced Emelianenko) or Zuluzinho (despite his 7-0 record at the time he had no business being in the same cage).   He did topple the best heavyweights in Pride beating fighters like Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira and Mirko CroCop, but finished neither of them within the distance.

Some wins on his record also have to be put into context because it's no secret that when Emelianenko squared off with names like Mark Coleman and Kevin Randleman, their best years were already behind them.  Add in fights against Matt Lindland (who is middleweight) and Hong Man Choi (one fight in MMA at the time), and Emelianenko's invincible streak takes a few dings along the way.

It also can't be ignored that Emelianenko started fighting after Silva did (his first bout was in 2000), he retired at 36 years of age (Silva is currently 38), and he went 3-3 in his final six bouts.  In those three losses, Emelianenko was finished each time including one defeat to Dan Henderson, who was a light heavyweight moving up to heavyweight for the bout.

Read entire article...

7/1/13 12:35 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
ShaqNoob
91 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"fuck you goof!"
7/1/13 12:38 PM
i remember halloween
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"Anderson Silva, not Fedor Emelianenko is not the greatest fighter of all time."  - what?    I love UG blog.

7/1/13 12:39 PM
Devlin
82 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Underground Blog -

Damon Martin: Why Fedor is not the GOAT

B/R Featured Columnist Damon Martin makes the argument that Anderson Silva, not Fedor Emelianenko is not the greatest fighter of all time. Here is his argument against Fedor:

He put together an incredible undefeated run between 2001 and 2008, winning a total of 28 fights in a row.  Emelianenko was the conquering ruler of the heavyweights in Pride when they proudly boasted the strongest division the sport has ever seen.

What kills Emelianenko in the greatest-of-all–time-discussion is the fact that his streak is littered with no names and fights that were obvious set-ups for him to destroy the opposition.  At the time when Pride was at its apex, fights were routinely matched up as entertainment more than actually progressing a fighter's career by facing the best of the best in their division.

Emelianenko's streak is still ultra impressive, but it's hard to ignore that some of those wins came over names like Yuji Nagata (he was 0-1 when he faced Emelianenko) or Zuluzinho (despite his 7-0 record at the time he had no business being in the same cage).   He did topple the best heavyweights in Pride beating fighters like Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira and Mirko CroCop, but finished neither of them within the distance.

Some wins on his record also have to be put into context because it's no secret that when Emelianenko squared off with names like Mark Coleman and Kevin Randleman, their best years were already behind them.  Add in fights against Matt Lindland (who is middleweight) and Hong Man Choi (one fight in MMA at the time), and Emelianenko's invincible streak takes a few dings along the way.

It also can't be ignored that Emelianenko started fighting after Silva did (his first bout was in 2000), he retired at 36 years of age (Silva is currently 38), and he went 3-3 in his final six bouts.  In those three losses, Emelianenko was finished each time including one defeat to Dan Henderson, who was a light heavyweight moving up to heavyweight for the bout.

Read entire article...

I agree zulu didnt belong in a cage with fedor, but they did fight in a ring, so is that ok?

world class journalism there.

I've seen that arguement put together better by people on this site. Phone Post
7/1/13 12:43 PM
MMA_Hole
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07/01/13 12:43 PM
One thing I often notice about Fedor's detractor's is that none of them were watching Japanese MMA during it's heyday. I'll doubt there will ever be another fighter who has the aura that Fedor had during his prime.
7/1/13 12:44 PM
UGCTT_Capnsavem
401 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Duh. Phone Post 3.0
7/1/13 12:47 PM
omgjoshjames
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Travis Lutter, Patrick Cote, Thales Leittes. Everyone ends up fighting some less than worthy opponents. Stupid article is stupid. Phone Post
7/1/13 12:47 PM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
544 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This thread will turn into a hate machine got Silva and Fedor Phone Post
7/1/13 12:48 PM
ufc98newb
93 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^^in writer's defense, there are some talented people on this site!

imo, Fedor and Anderson both have some glaring holes in their resumes, along with their many incredible accomplishments, and ultimately beauty is in the eye of the beholder. 

7/1/13 12:48 PM
DaleSonnen

If you ask me, Anything this guys brings up against Fedor can be also used against Silva... Look at Silvas MMA record. He didn't exactly fight the best the whole time either. To me, Fedor still seems slightly more impressive still.. Pride Cro-Cop, Pride Nog... And I dont care what that guy says, Colman and Randleman were still relevant at that time.
7/1/13 12:51 PM
caseharts
404 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Pugilistics MMA
Do not agree. Phone Post
7/1/13 12:51 PM
caposa
1558 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Compelling argument.

7/1/13 12:52 PM
brune90

it is a matter of perspective

the real question is... Which one would you fear fighting the most?
7/1/13 12:53 PM
IAmNotImpressedbyYourStocktonSlap
304 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Stupid article is stupid. Phone Post
7/1/13 12:54 PM
Brenturban
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In my opinion arguing about who the GOAT is in any sports is pointless. Game changes with every generation. Now I feel it's even worse when trying to find out the goat in combat sports. Too many different variables to consider that are almost impossible to measure. Both are/were amazing fighters. Phone Post
7/1/13 1:04 PM
cross3dout
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Oh shit he poked a bear fucking the Fedor fans.

In to watch meltdowns Phone Post 3.0
7/1/13 1:08 PM
Calavaro
217 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

They are both fantastic fighters. They fight/fought in different divisions, facing totally different opponents and managed to outshine everyone in the process.

No fighter faces the #1 challenger at all times as there are too many variables (entertainment, feuds, money, timing, etc), so sometimes some lesser known/skilled fighter gets a shot at the big time.

When you start a career "in the big leagues" you normally don't get "top tier" fights right away. Fedor was literally thrown to the wolves upon entering Pride. It was a warm up fight for Heath Herring (afaik), and nobody gave Fedor much of a chance. Oh boy.... When Anderson Silva came to the UFC very few people knew who he was, and many questioned the decision of giving him a title fight just a couple of fight into his UFC career. Well, we know how that turned out.

Both have had great careers, accomplishing things that may never be repeated (28 fight win streak / undefeated in the UFC and a whole lot more).

Give credit to both for what they have done and continue to do for themselves and mixed martial arts as a whole. Without them, the sport may have taken a lot longer to grow to where it is today.

This polarizing crap is quite annoying and shows the shortsitedness of those who argue, really, about insignificant differences between 2 of the very best in MMA.

7/1/13 1:12 PM
kungfugrip

i hate the whole "GOAT" talk. Was Fedor a great fighter? Of course. Nothing else needs to be said. Articles like this just bash a great fighter.
7/1/13 1:16 PM
strict9
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I still do not understand why people care so much if someone else believes someone different is the GOAT of MMA. I personally think Fedor is because at his peak I do not think there was anyone who could beat him.
But I damn sure do not care if one of you believe that Anderson or even Jones is the greatest of all time, they all have compelling arguments for and against them. Only the people who believe it is a clear cut decision that Fedor, Anderson etc is the GOAT and the others should not even be discussed because they suck tend to bother me a little bit.
7/1/13 1:18 PM
Entreri

Anderson is the current GOAT. Fedor is still top 5 ever.
7/1/13 1:22 PM
Shoryuken Rw

GSP24 - Damon wrote some good stuff for Ryan's site but he's getting edgy on B/R.

I agree with pretty much everything he said. This article will likely piss Fedor fans off but in all honesty, they needed to be put in check.

Fedor, currently, is the HW GOAT.

Anderson, currently, is the GOAT. Phone Post 3.0
Voted down for retardation.

We all know Bones is the GOAT. Phone Post 3.0
7/1/13 1:25 PM
dabigchet

in terms of quality wins, anderson passed fedor with the FIRST chael victory. since then it was 3 more top MW victories - all finishes, and then the ridiculously brilliant performance in the bonnar fight.

each victory is just legacy padding at this point. there is no more serious debate on the subject.

7/1/13 1:26 PM
Bobby Lupo
90 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GSP has beaten tougher opposition than fedor or silva, so has bones, and those guys have years ahead of them and are head and shoulders better than their divisions Phone Post 3.0
7/1/13 1:33 PM
DamonMartinMMA
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Let me be clear in stating that my article was making a case for Anderson as the GOAT, but it's impossible to do that without comparing him to others considered the best in the sport.

The same type of arguments are made all the time in other sports—why isn't LeBron the greatest when compared to Jordan, etc. Not sure why the same discussion can't be had about MMA fighters without it being considered "bashing".

I also made points about GSP, who probably has the best current argument as the best outside of Silva. Jon Jones would have also made it into the article, but his body of work isn't there quite yet. The talent is there, no doubt. A couple of more fights and he will enter that discussion, which is pretty crazy considering how much younger he is than GSP or Silva.

7/1/13 1:38 PM
GaryColeman

All he said was that the majority of Fedor's victories were to insignificant no-name fighters (which is true) and the two or three good fighters he beat, he couldn't finish (also true). I'm not sure why hearing this is upsetting the Fedor fans... Oh wait, that's right, most Fedor fans are delusional as fuck and make me hate a fighter that I genuinely enjoyed watching fight simply because I do not want to be considered a "Fedor fan" because everyone knows they are delusional assholes! Phone Post 3.0

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.