UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Silva: "I don't think I can defeat Jon Jones"

7/1/13 9:56 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
yabadaba
122 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Here's what the UG's resident striking expert has to say about the matchup:

It seems that everyone in the MMA world wants to pretend that the arduous weight cuts which fighters put themselves through are purely formalities, and that fighters who work their hardest to fight as the biggest men in their weight classes would happily go up and have no problem against the champion in the class above... 

Anderson Silva is the greatest striker in MMA, and I wholeheartedly believe that. Unfortunately, a good striker will not pretend reach, size and the availability and risk of a tie-up mean nothing. If you are expecting an article where I hype up both sides and end with "this really is anyone's fight," you're going to be heartbroken...

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1628374-a-brutally-honest-look-at-jon-jones-vs-anderson-silva

7/1/13 9:58 PM
Lazer MMA
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA - 
Lazer MMA -
LMFAO @ posters who are saying AS is not telling the truth after all else he has said too on this!

Leave him TF alone already, HTF can the man make multiple statements all basically saying the same fuckin thing and it's still not clear? let him fight who TF he wants to!

Let JBJ do the super fights @ HW, no other party (save Aldo) is interested.
Jones also said he doesn't want to fight Anderson, and cited that he didn't want to lose to him in the quote.

Oops. Phone Post

Jones said only weeks ago that he'd entertain the fight after his next defense. He said from the get go in Gracie Mag. that he wants the fight years ago. That was prior to when AS called them friends. JBJ not wanting to call out the smaller guy.

"AS has said: "there's no way" the fight happens, he prefers GSP because he's "smaller" & it will be "easier", and that he wants "50 percent of the UFC" for the fight, all prior.

I don't like guys getting forced into fights. I think it's time to let all this super fight stuff go."

Leave AS TF alone. Leave GSP TF alone.

IMO this all is history now, time to let it go.
7/1/13 10:01 PM
GROUNDnLB
249 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

kyle223 - Not a big Silva fan, but Silva beats Jones 10 times out of 10 if Jones doesn't have his 84" reach and huge body type. Not Jones' fault that he utilizes his body to his advantage, but without his long ass reach, I don't see how people can sit there and think he'd still be as dominant as he's been. Listen to Joe Rogan during a Jones fight. He constantly says how Jones is able to dictate fights using his size and reach advantage. I think most MMA fighters will say reach is one of the biggest advantages in fighting.

I still think Jones would be a very good fighter, as he's extremely athletic, motivated, and very smart, but without the reach, he doesn't break the LHW record for most title defenses, and he definitely doesn't beat Silva.

Not sure why I'm arguing hypotheticals lol, but that's my opinion.
Sorry, I just read your first sentence. You are not a Silva fan? How can you not be??? Phone Post 3.0
7/1/13 10:02 PM
kyle223
86 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GROUNDnLB - 
kyle223 - Not a big Silva fan, but Silva beats Jones 10 times out of 10 if Jones doesn't have his 84" reach and huge body type. Not Jones' fault that he utilizes his body to his advantage, but without his long ass reach, I don't see how people can sit there and think he'd still be as dominant as he's been. Listen to Joe Rogan during a Jones fight. He constantly says how Jones is able to dictate fights using his size and reach advantage. I think most MMA fighters will say reach is one of the biggest advantages in fighting.

I still think Jones would be a very good fighter, as he's extremely athletic, motivated, and very smart, but without the reach, he doesn't break the LHW record for most title defenses, and he definitely doesn't beat Silva.

Sorry, I just read your first sentence. You are not a Silva fan? How can you not be??? Phone Post 3.0

I should have said he's not one of my favorites. It doesn't take away from the fact that he's incredible to watch.
7/1/13 10:03 PM
BigFootsSkinnyArm

You really do have to laugh at people calling Anderson a troll all of a sudden... Oh the ironing.
7/1/13 10:04 PM
Illidan

Anderson trolls more then Renato Laranja Phone Post
7/1/13 10:07 PM
The Sultan
103 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I wondern if he's trolling or if he really believes that. Jon Jones would be a super tough fight for Anderson imo. Hes young, super athletic, very strong.... Phone Post
7/1/13 10:08 PM
SQUEEZIE

ABE FROMAN - 
SQUEEZIE - 
when did i say i hope he loses? all im saying is jbj would win that or at the min be a huge threat and a outrageous task for andy to handle. andy knows this,but his delusional fans dont...and so fucking what about him sayin that they are all better fighters...maybe he truly believes that.

and that dont matter any way cause a fight w fedor or bj made no sense any time.him and jbj are close enough to fight to actually find out...but someone does not want to find out cause they think they already know the likely out come.

So his fans have a difference of opinion than you which makes them 'delusional'?

You need a show on Fox news.

The only reason guys like you want Anderson and Jones to fight is because it kills 2 birds with one stone, somebody you hate is going to lose.

Professional frisbee needs fans.

yea thats it, just cause they have different opinion.gtfo out here w that.im far from shallow and ignorant like that...the guy actually involved probably knows more about himself then you i or anyone else.i dont like how his fans try to tell other people what he really thinks and means all the fucking time and have a double standard for shit he does and says.that shit rubs me the wrong way.o,and can you read?i dont hate jbj or andy one bit.

the only reason i want to see this fight is cause its two of the baddest motherfuckers ever and would be an excellent fucking mma match!
7/1/13 10:10 PM
ShowtimeWreckedMyLeever

Lazer MMA -
UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA - 
Lazer MMA -
LMFAO @ posters who are saying AS is not telling the truth after all else he has said too on this!

Leave him TF alone already, HTF can the man make multiple statements all basically saying the same fuckin thing and it's still not clear? let him fight who TF he wants to!

Jones also said he doesn't want to fight Anderson, and cited that he didn't want to lose to him in the quote.

Oops. Phone Post

Jones said only weeks ago that he'd entertain the fight after his next defense. He said from the get go in Gracie Mag. that he wants the fight years ago. That was prior to when AS called them friends. JBJ not wanting to call out the smaller guy.

"AS has said: "there's no way" the fight happens, he prefers GSP because he's "smaller" & it will be "easier", and that he wants "50 percent of the UFC" for the fight, all prior.

I don't like guys getting forced into fights. I think it's time to let all this super fight stuff go."

In for lnp to twist this somehow Phone Post 3.0
7/1/13 10:11 PM
LILBROCK

kyle223 - 
GROUNDnLB - 

I should have said he's not one of my favorites. It doesn't take away from the fact that he's incredible to watch.

Ya, and if Nick Diaz had a glass chin he wouldn't be as good, if Hendo had zero power he wouldn't be as good, if Lesnar was very weak he wouldn't be as good, if Nolan Ryan only had an 80mph fastball he wouldn't be as good, if Vince Carter only had a 15" vertical he wouldn't be as good, and on and on and on. All fighters/athletes have advantages. If you think Anderson's speed, chin, skill are not God given talents, you're wrong.
7/1/13 10:19 PM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
519 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lazer MMA -
UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA - 
Lazer MMA -

Oops. Phone Post

Silva said he would fight Jones today. Phone Post
7/1/13 10:21 PM
Granpa
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I commend him for his honesty cause I don't think he can beat him either.
7/1/13 10:22 PM
SQUEEZIE

kyle223 - Not a big Silva fan, but Silva beats Jones 10 times out of 10 if Jones doesn't have his 84" reach and huge body type. Not Jones' fault that he utilizes his body to his advantage, but without his long ass reach, I don't see how people can sit there and think he'd still be as dominant as he's been. Listen to Joe Rogan during a Jones fight. He constantly says how Jones is able to dictate fights using his size and reach advantage. I think most MMA fighters will say reach is one of the biggest advantages in fighting.

see this is the shit im talking bout.i quit reading after first sentence.if anyone is winning 10 out of 10 its jbj and even that sounds dumb as fuck saying.at least be realistic.not even andy, or his momma believe he would win 7 out of 10 times.yet there are others that think he probably wins 11 out of 10 times...it makes no fucking sense what so ever in any world.
if jbj had the same reach than andy it wouldnt be the end all be all of the fight.his length only inhances the skill he has that would already beat you most of the time...i do agree his chances of losing would increase.but to say "if reach were the same he loses all the time" is to fucking far fetched for my liking.
7/1/13 10:24 PM
DWTF
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

dwtf?
7/1/13 10:30 PM
ILoveWatchingJonesBoneShogun

He is a smart fighter, there is no reason for him to believe he can beat Jones. He would be a huge underdog if that fight happened so how is he trolling?
7/1/13 10:53 PM
newtotheinterweb

Sliva_Plated_Fedor -
newtotheinterweb - 
Sliva_Plated_Fedor -
HandyDarsh - This guy loves to fuck with the media Phone Post 3.0
This. Half of what Anderson says is to troll the US media and fans who he has a huge disdain for.

But is it really so shocking that Anderson, the MW champ, doubts he can beat the most dominant LHW in the UFC - probably ever? If he knew he could beat Jones he would be the LHW champ, not the MW champ.

Whether or not Jones beats Silva at 205 has no bearing on whether he's ahead of Silva in the P4P rankings. He'd have to beat Silva at 185 or catch weight to claim that and that ain't happening.

Jones is awesome but we've never seen Silva caught in a deep armbar from an aging, blown up WW. Just saying... Phone Post 3.0
Which WW was that? Phone Post 3.0

What I meant was a blown up fighter from a lower weight division as JJ was by Vitor, a blown up MW.
Oh ok. I misunderstood. Though to be fair vitor has been a HW and LHW. But yeah I get what you sayin. Phone Post 3.0
7/1/13 10:54 PM
ABE FROMAN
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

SQUEEZIE - 
ABE FROMAN - 
SQUEEZIE - 
when did i say i hope he loses? all im saying is jbj would win that or at the min be a huge threat and a outrageous task for andy to handle. andy knows this,but his delusional fans dont...and so fucking what about him sayin that they are all better fighters...maybe he truly believes that.

and that dont matter any way cause a fight w fedor or bj made no sense any time.him and jbj are close enough to fight to actually find out...but someone does not want to find out cause they think they already know the likely out come.

So his fans have a difference of opinion than you which makes them 'delusional'?

The only reason guys like you want Anderson and Jones to fight is because it kills 2 birds with one stone, somebody you hate is going to lose.

yea thats it, just cause they have different opinion.gtfo out here w that.im far from shallow and ignorant like that...the guy actually involved probably knows more about himself then you i or anyone else.i dont like how his fans try to tell other people what he really thinks and means all the fucking time and have a double standard for shit he does and says.that shit rubs me the wrong way.o,and can you read?i dont hate jbj or andy one bit.

the only reason i want to see this fight is cause its two of the baddest motherfuckers ever and would be an excellent fucking mma match!

Yea, and he knows that BJ Penn would beat his ass too. GTFO with your version of common sense. Anderson wouldn't be Anderson if he wasn't saying he's a worse fighter than anybody who's done anything. The only double standard is sitting around waiting for a statement by Anderson that confirms that you are somehow right yet the fight hasn't happend. I can only imagine your self-satifisfaction when you saw the thread title.

LMAO

7/1/13 11:01 PM
UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA

SQUEEZIE -
kyle223 - Not a big Silva fan, but Silva beats Jones 10 times out of 10 if Jones doesn't have his 84" reach and huge body type. Not Jones' fault that he utilizes his body to his advantage, but without his long ass reach, I don't see how people can sit there and think he'd still be as dominant as he's been. Listen to Joe Rogan during a Jones fight. He constantly says how Jones is able to dictate fights using his size and reach advantage. I think most MMA fighters will say reach is one of the biggest advantages in fighting.

see this is the shit im talking bout.i quit reading after first sentence.if anyone is winning 10 out of 10 its jbj and even that sounds dumb as fuck saying.at least be realistic.not even andy, or his momma believe he would win 7 out of 10 times.yet there are others that think he probably wins 11 out of 10 times...it makes no fucking sense what so ever in any world.
if jbj had the same reach than andy it wouldnt be the end all be all of the fight.his length only inhances the skill he has that would already beat you most of the time...i do agree his chances of losing would increase.but to say "if reach were the same he loses all the time" is to fucking far fetched for my liking.
So do you honestly believe, if Anderson and Jones had the exact same dimensions, Jones would still be an even bet, or would he be the underdog/favorite? Phone Post
7/1/13 11:02 PM
UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA

OnlyTheStrongSurvive -
Lazer MMA -
UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA - 
Lazer MMA -

Oops. Phone Post

Silva said he would fight Jones today. Phone Post
How will lazer boy spin that? Or will he just conveniently ignore it? Phone Post
7/1/13 11:02 PM

ABE FROMAN - 
SQUEEZIE - 
ABE FROMAN - 
SQUEEZIE - 

Yea, and he knows that BJ Penn would beat his ass too. GTFO with your version of common sense. Anderson wouldn't be Anderson if he wasn't saying he's a worse fighter than anybody who's done anything. The only double standard is sitting around waiting for a statement by Anderson that confirms that you are somehow right yet the fight hasn't happend. I can only imagine your self-satifisfaction when you saw the thread title.

LMAO

"The only reason guys like you want Anderson and Jones to fight is because it kills 2 birds with one stone, somebody you hate is going to lose."

Did you seriously just bust out the race card on an MMA forum?
7/1/13 11:04 PM
Master_E
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If he actually fights Jones.... Win or lose he's the greatest because the greatest would take the risk.
7/1/13 11:05 PM

UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA - 
SQUEEZIE -

So do you honestly believe, if Anderson and Jones had the exact same dimensions, Jones would still be an even bet, or would he be the underdog/favorite? Phone Post

If they had the same dimensions, Jones would be champ at 185 and could sleepwalk his way through the mountain west conference on his way to GOAT status
7/1/13 11:06 PM
PelikanNutz

LILBROCK - 
kyle223 - 
GROUNDnLB - 

Ya, and if Nick Diaz had a glass chin he wouldn't be as good, if Hendo had zero power he wouldn't be as good, if Lesnar was very weak he wouldn't be as good, if Nolan Ryan only had an 80mph fastball he wouldn't be as good, if Vince Carter only had a 15" vertical he wouldn't be as good, and on and on and on. All fighters/athletes have advantages. If you think Anderson's speed, chin, skill are not God given talents, you're wrong.

^ This response is pretty much unfuckwithable. I grappled with the advantage Jones' reach gifts him just cause it seems so obsene but truth is everything a fighter possesses falls under the exact same umbrella.

Also, Jones would finish Silva imo. Silva always has a chance but the odds would have to favour Jones.
7/1/13 11:07 PM
Bawls
41 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JBJ by wrestlefuck Phone Post
7/1/13 11:31 PM
Mustard Tiger
368 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

These super fights are cool to talk about but have a very small window of ever really happening.

With the huge assumption GSP, Silva, and Jones win their upcoming fights, my pipe dream scenario is:

Bones calls out Anderson for a super fight Super Bowl weekend 2014.

GSP announces a move up to the middleweight division after his win over Hendricks in November. Georges is welcomed to the division with a number one contender fight against Bisping or Belfort.

Anderson will lose and Georges will win.

GSP and Silva fight in Madison Square Garden as the main event on the first UFC event in New York.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.