UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> White defends Bonnar's inclusion in Hall of Fame

7/1/13 11:09 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1196 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Last month the UFC announced that Forrest Griffin and Stephan Bonnar would be inducted into the UFC Hall of Fame at this weekend's UFC Fan Expo. Forrest Griffin, by most accounts, seemed a no-brainer, but some fans and media questioned Bonnar's inclusion. Today at a press event for UFC 163, Dana White defended his decision:

"I was going to kick him off the show. I was going to kick him off – and I didn't. Imagine if I had kicked Stephan Bonnar off the show that day, and him and Forrest never happened. I don't think people realize, really, really realize, what that one fight meant to this sport and this company. I look at it as, I'm inducting Forrest, and Stephan goes with him. It wasn't just Forrest. Both of those guys took us to this next level. He's being inducted for that one fight that took this thing to the next level."

Guys don't get inducted into other Halls of Fame based upon one good night. 

But Dana White never operated by anyone else's rules. And without him, MMA likely wouldn't exist today, let alone the UFC. 

So, in the strict standard, Bonnar doesn't belong in. He's a drug cheat and he has zero significant wins.

But it was his ability on that one given night that helped save the sport. And while everyone else is willing to look past that one night, White is not. 

"Nobody knows more than me how much that fight meant," White said. "For us, that fight meant everything, and I never forget it."

read entire article...

7/1/13 11:17 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
DissOfKeath
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bonnar is in, but Frank Shamrock is not. Don't even try, Dana, it's futile. This is an embarrassment.
7/1/13 11:17 PM
crazydave
200 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

7/1/13 11:28 PM
Silverball
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

DissOfKeath - Bonnar is in, but Frank Shamrock is not. Don't even try, Dana, it's futile. This is an embarrassment.

7/1/13 11:32 PM
Erik Tracey
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Can sometime refresh my memory as to why he was almost kicked off the show? Phone Post
7/1/13 11:46 PM
KneeUpperCut Ios

It should be called "Dana Whites Hall of Fame".
7/1/13 11:48 PM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
558 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Erik Tracey - Can sometime refresh my memory as to why he was almost kicked off the show? Phone Post
Sneaked out the house and went to a liquor store Phone Post
7/1/13 11:48 PM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
558 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

KneeUpperCut Ios - It should be called "Dana Whites Hall of Fame".
Exactly. Phone Post
7/1/13 11:55 PM
Hong Kong Phooey
941 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

in for being in

7/2/13 12:35 AM
RKing85
167 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If I was running the UFC HOF, I would put that fight in but not Bonnar individually.
7/2/13 12:43 AM
Lynchman
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I get folks not wanting Bonnar in, but Frank Shamrock is a completely different beast.

In the past, White tried reaching out to Frank, only to be pushed away.

Do you induct somebody that would not only not show up, but insult you and your company instead?

Frank/Dana is a two person conflict. It is not just Dana hating Frank. Frank has spent far more time ripping on Dana than vice versa. And while he has every right to do so, Dana would be a moron to give him an even biggest platform from which to attack.
7/2/13 2:11 AM
scarfacedave
393 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Erik Tracey -  Can sometime refresh my memory as to why he was almost kicked off the show? Phone Post

White told a story about how Bonnar was almost kicked off the first season of TUF after getting antsy during the longest filming schedule in show history:

"Bonnar turned the shower on, climbed out the window and went to find a liquor store. Remember we took all the liquor out after that big fight? These idiots...we had been driving these guys around for six or seven weeks and the house is in the middle of nowhere. There was no liquor store near there. The guy was walking around for an hour and thirty minutes. So much crazy (expletive) happened that first season. Imagine if I had kicked off him off the show for going to a liquor store? Forrest (Griffin) and Stephan would have never happened."
7/2/13 2:32 AM
JerodR
86 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dana White can't even intelligently defend the people he will not let in to the UFC HOF let alone the people he puts in. I like Bonnar and don't have a problem with it but Dana is the last guy to defend or try to justify any decisions made concerning the HOF.

The straight truth is that the UFC HOF is a joke. It is the Dana White Hall of Fame and is nowhere close to having legit merrit as long as he continues to run it like his personal baseball card selection. Phone Post 3.0
7/2/13 2:35 AM
Kinkle

Stephan Bonnar is in the UFC HOF, and Frank Shamrock will probably never be inducted. Thanks, that's all I need to know.
7/2/13 2:37 AM
HexRei

Only caught roiding twice, never held a title- UFC HALL OF FAMER!!!!!
7/2/13 2:41 AM
Kinkle

Will Chris Leben be the next UFC HOF inductee???
7/2/13 2:45 AM
Brian Rule
255 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

No need to bag on Stephan. Few think he's more deserving than others but clearly this is not his doing. The hypocrisy behind the selection process deserves our wrath instead
7/2/13 2:50 AM
chalice

Brian Rule - No need to bag on Stephan. Few think he's more deserving than others but clearly this is not his doing. The hypocrisy behind the selection process deserves our wrath instead

there's no reason to have any "wrath" towards a non-existent selection process, just think of it on the same level as like a pro-wrestling hall of fame instead of comparing it to actual sports.
7/2/13 3:23 AM
Bam57Bam
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

duckhuntgangsta -
DissOfKeath - Bonnar is in, but Frank Shamrock is not. Don't even try, Dana, it's futile. This is an embarrassment.
Separate issues. In the argument for Boner you have to look at his induction on its own merits. Shamrock is a red herring in the argument and one for another thread.

MMA can have it's own HOF with a fancy panel and voting and democracy or whatever...the UFC has their own to honor the people they want to honor. Personally O believe his name belongs next to Forrest's. their story is inseparable, but really, Why does anyone care? It's just ZUFFA's "at-a-boy" club. Phone Post 3.0
This...

I don't see what the big deal is. F Shamrock will not be inducted in the Ufcs "HOF" as long as Dana and the Fertitta's are in charge. Phone Post
7/2/13 3:40 AM
CindyO

Lynchman - I get folks not wanting Bonnar in, but Frank Shamrock is a completely different beast.

Do you induct somebody that would not only not show up, but insult you and your company instead?

Frank/Dana is a two person conflict. It is not just Dana hating Frank. Frank has spent far more time ripping on Dana than vice versa. And while he has every right to do so, Dana would be a moron to give him an even biggest platform from which to attack.

Exactly. Not a team player, never fought under the Zuffa banner. He has been nothing but a dick to Zuffa so LOL@ anyone thinking Shammy-Lite is owed a dayum thing from the UFC. If the UFC sucked Frank wouldn't give a shit about inclusion but they are HHHHUGE so it means something. He belongs in the MMA HOF and I think that is headed by Kirik, not DW. Someone should start a thread about that:)

Cindy

7/2/13 3:42 AM
Brian Rule
255 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

chalice - 
Brian Rule - No need to bag on Stephan. Few think he's more deserving than others but clearly this is not his doing. The hypocrisy behind the selection process deserves our wrath instead

there's no reason to have any "wrath" towards a non-existent selection process, just think of it on the same level as like a pro-wrestling hall of fame instead of comparing it to actual sports.

Although it will always be subjective someday there may be a much more genuine selection process. Spot on the targeting your wrath btw
7/2/13 3:43 AM
HexRei

CindyO - 
Lynchman - I get folks not wanting Bonnar in, but Frank Shamrock is a completely different beast.

Exactly. Not a team player, never fought under the Zuffa banner. He has been nothing but a dick to Zuffa so LOL@ anyone thinking Shammy-Lite is owed a dayum thing from the UFC. If the UFC sucked Frank wouldn't give a shit about inclusion but they are HHHHUGE so it means something. He belongs in the MMA HOF and I think that is headed by Kirik, not DW. Someone should start a thread about that:)

Cindy

Can we start calling the UFC HOF the "UFC Best Snuggle Buddies Club"? instead? :)
7/2/13 3:43 AM
Team GDP
403 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

KneeUpperCut Ios - It should be called "Dana Whites Hall of Fame".

"Dana White's employee of the month club"

7/2/13 4:33 AM
Champology
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That's almost as awesome as that Bonner VS Anderson fight. I hear the heat get to play the Milwaukee Bucks in the finals next year because they played hard in 1 game last year and Birdman is getting in the hall of fame, he played hard to once.
7/2/13 4:39 AM
CindyO

HexRei - 
CindyO - 

Cindy

Can we start calling the UFC HOF the "UFC Best Snuggle Buddies Club"? instead? :)

LOL! Go for it=)

Cindy

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.