UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Why no Gatorade in between rounds?

7/2/13 3:59 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
EddieBravo
461 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

10th Planet Jiu-Jitsu, www.thetwister.tv

If it's ok for NFL players to drink Gatorade while on the sidelines why isn't a cage fighter allowed the same drink in between rounds of an MMA fight?

Has this been discussed before?

If so, I apologize but I would still be interested in the answer, thank you :) Phone Post 3.0
7/2/13 4:04 AM
XIITT_JBASS
236 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good point, does anyone actually know if fighters are allowed a drink other than water in the cage or is it simply they would rather have water?

7/2/13 4:05 AM
DanTheWolfman
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Eddies got the good stuff tonight lol.....

Or, IDK, and pretty sure NFL's water it way down, even more than G2....too much sodium and Sugar, can actually make you cramp more I believe
Galanis
720 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've seen boxers drink it not sure about MMA though..

CapoRock8732

Pretty sure its because of the athletic commissions only allow sealed bottled water with the fighters corner men.
7/2/13 4:06 AM
Robbied01

We don't get Gatorade in the UK. Is it supposedly performance enhancing like out Lucozade supposedly is? As in, full of electrolyte and helps you hydrate quicker? Phone Post 3.0
7/2/13 4:08 AM
Galanis
720 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wouldn't coconut water be better since it's not loaded with fake sugar etc?

7/2/13 4:10 AM
Dan O'Connell
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ltr
7/2/13 4:15 AM
Devlin
81 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Robbied01 - We don't get Gatorade in the UK. Is it supposedly performance enhancing like out Lucozade supposedly is? As in, full of electrolyte and helps you hydrate quicker? Phone Post 3.0
I get the inpression. its more like the poweraide.

Lucazade is fantastic though, Do you guys get that? Phone Post
7/2/13 4:20 AM
brigsy
78 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Is it sticky? Phone Post 3.0
7/2/13 4:27 AM
time traveling 12er
190 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I hear in both football and basketball they drink water on the sidelines. The cups say gatorade for promotional purposes but the cups and coolers have water. Each player is allowed to drink from bottles of gatorade/poweraide while on the bench though.

Also the truth is that Gatorade probably isn't going to help you that much during a fight. I've read articles that suggest most of the benefits from sports drinks are psychological. You have to be really fucked up or near death from dehydration to need electrolytes that badly.

I'm going to also guess at least a part of it is going to be the AC trying to keep things simple and even and also not wanting purple and blue stains on the mat from people spilling it.
7/2/13 4:28 AM
madmav
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

in fer answers n stuff.
7/2/13 4:33 AM
DanTheWolfman

Also, the coloring could help hide things like liquid Adrenalin put in the tops of gatorade with a insulin needle :)
7/2/13 4:34 AM
Jesus KO'd stayrad

Robbied01 - We don't get Gatorade in the UK. Is it supposedly performance enhancing like out Lucozade supposedly is? As in, full of electrolyte and helps you hydrate quicker? Phone Post 3.0
Yes we do lol Phone Post 3.0
7/2/13 4:36 AM
Fraser_Finlay
224 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jesus KO'd stayrad -
That's what I was thinking. I see Gatorade all the time in shops, maybe they don't get it in England? Phone Post 3.0
7/2/13 4:43 AM
shatefak

Why no coffee between rounds? Id do it.
7/2/13 4:43 AM
Wazza J

Dana addressed it in a recent press conference. There were no restrictions I think it was up to the corners discretion Phone Post 3.0
7/2/13 4:44 AM
madmav
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

obviously gatorade isn't big enough for teh ufc yet!!

;)
7/2/13 4:59 AM
MuayThaiMania
52 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think that would be a good deal. UFC can hook up with a coconut water company and they can drink it between rounds Phone Post
7/2/13 5:02 AM
Jesus KO'd stayrad

Fraser_Finlay -
Jesus KO'd stayrad -
That's what I was thinking. I see Gatorade all the time in shops, maybe they don't get it in England? Phone Post 3.0
Tesco, Asda, dw sports etc all sell it in scotland not so sure about the England Phone Post 3.0
7/2/13 5:06 AM
UGCTT_FryedTakayama
806 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I want to see a fighter dump Gatorade on his coach after a victory Phone Post 3.0
7/2/13 5:15 AM
scarfacedave
358 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Because it's sugar water...

Seriously though, in boxing you're only allowed water in the corner, that's how Panama Lewis got busted in the Pryor/Arguello fight. Panama said "hand me the bottle, the one I mixed". Didn't matter what they claimed it was mixed with the athletic commission only allowed water.
7/2/13 5:24 AM
Blackmore

EddieBravo - If it's ok for NFL players to drink Gatorade while on the sidelines why isn't a cage fighter allowed the same drink in between rounds of an MMA fight?

Has this been discussed before?

If so, I apologize but I would still be interested in the answer, thank you :) Phone Post 3.0
I think they do but with hidden containers
Because its business as usual Phone Post 3.0
7/2/13 5:25 AM
Bootsy Collins
169 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

time traveling 12er - I hear in both football and basketball they drink water on the sidelines. The cups say gatorade for promotional purposes but the cups and coolers have water. Each player is allowed to drink from bottles of gatorade/poweraide while on the bench though.

Also the truth is that Gatorade probably isn't going to help you that much during a fight. I've read articles that suggest most of the benefits from sports drinks are psychological. You have to be really fucked up or near death from dehydration to need electrolytes that badly.

I'm going to also guess at least a part of it is going to be the AC trying to keep things simple and even and also not wanting purple and blue stains on the mat from people spilling it.

Yea it would be a shame to have all those icky gatorade stains next to the blood stains :)
7/2/13 5:28 AM
shaqitup
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

gatorade won't pay the UFC 3 trillion dollars to appear anywhere within the vacinity of the octagon.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.