UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Coach: Silva hasn't faced fighter at Chris's level

7/3/13 1:41 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1196 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Team Serra/Longo coach Ray Longo appeared recently on Ariel Helwani's The MMA Hour, and talked about Saturday's fight between Chris Weidman and UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva.

"This one feels different," said Longo. "The nervous energy is there. It's another championship fight, but I think you were saying before with Matt [Serra vs. Georges St-Pierre at UFC 69 in 2007], no one gave him a chance. Walking in there, he was the biggest underdog in UFC history. This kid, a lot of fighters are saying he's going to win and they see something in him that I guess a lot of people are missing.

"Even when he fought Sakara, it was on two-weeks' notice and he had a banged up rib and you are going to be in the UFC. He passed that test pretty good, so it's not like he's unaware of fighting in the UFC or being in the big show for the first time. He's kinda gotten a glimpse of it, so I think if he stays in the moment and understands what's going on he'll have no problem with that at all."

"We're going to stay in the moment... That's all it is. He's there to fight. He's there to win and that's it. He's not there to get in a spitting contest with this guy or do any other things that are stupid. He wants to go in there and fight the best guy in the world, which is what he's doing. I think he's really excited to test himself."

"Can a 40-year old man stop this young, talented, strong, huge, technical, confident kid from dumping him on his head? That's the way I look at it. This guy is a beast. I think the age might play a little factor in this. I'm not sure there's a guy in the United States that could stop [Weidman] from putting him on his head at that age.

"He's that good, Ariel. He really is. It's not just bulls---. He's technical, strong, he's confident. He's got the attributes that it takes to win this fight and I think everyone knows if that fight hits the ground, it's going to be a different story."

"We've put him in there with pro boxers, southpaw, 6'1". He's passed the test, so he deserves to be here. Everybody's going to find out something on July 6th. I don't know who is going to be more surprised in the Octagon: Anderson Silva or Chris, but he's not going to be mentally defeated before he goes in there. He's got the flight time now to get what he wants.

"This guy is no joke. I just believe the guys hes been beating aren't on Chris' level, standing up or on the floor."

"I think from the first day I met him I knew there was something different about him. "I'd never seen anybody do the things he did and I think it's all going to come to fruition on July 6th."

Read entire article...

7/3/13 1:42 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Galanis
874 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Weidman is obviously beyond Hendo's level

7/3/13 1:54 PM
GrayKickass
134 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hmm, Hendo and Belfort are on his level, maybe even above his level.
7/3/13 1:59 PM
The Black Cheez
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bold statement. Phone Post
7/3/13 2:01 PM
UGCTT_SidRival
548 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wolf tickets! Get ur wolf tickets here! Phone Post 3.0
7/3/13 2:03 PM
ja_mma
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This dude is fool of shit LMAO WolfTickets!!!!
7/3/13 2:04 PM
phillymmafan
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So sick of this weidman hype . Can't wait till silva crushes his soul Phone Post 3.0
7/3/13 2:05 PM
ja_mma

If Weidman make one mistake GAMEOVER!!!!
7/3/13 2:10 PM
i_shogun_ruas

phillymmafan - So sick of this weidman hype . Can't wait till silva crushes his soul Phone Post 3.0
Me too bro. It's sickening Phone Post 3.0
7/3/13 2:11 PM
DaddyRich
88 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Icarus

Son of Daedalus who dared to fly too near the sun on wings of feathers and wax. Daedalus had been imprisoned by King Minos of Crete within the walls of his own invention, the Labyrinth. But the great craftsman's genius would not suffer captivity. He made two pairs of wings by adhering feathers to a wooden frame with wax. Giving one pair to his son, he cautioned him that flying too near the sun would cause the wax to melt. But Icarus became ecstatic with the ability to fly and forgot his father's warning. The feathers came loose and Icarus plunged to his death in the sea.
7/3/13 2:13 PM
Chisel Chest
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lol. The Great White Hype Phone Post 3.0
7/3/13 2:14 PM
ChrisAllen
185 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Unfortunately for Weidman he has not faced anyone on Silvas legal. Or even close.

At this point I'm tired of hearing all of the crap and hope that Silva just demolishes this guy, quickly. Phone Post 3.0
7/3/13 2:14 PM
ChrisAllen
185 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Chisel Chest - Lol. The Great White Hype Phone Post 3.0
Lol. "You tryin to embarrass me on live tv!?" Phone Post 3.0
7/3/13 2:20 PM
ja_mma

ChrisAllen - Unfortunately for Weidman he has not faced anyone on Silvas legal. Or even close.

At this point I'm tired of hearing all of the crap and hope that Silva just demolishes this guy, quickly. Phone Post 3.0

Absolutely,I'm tired of hearing Weidman talking shit,Chael,Kenny,GSP,R.Evans,F.Edgar,Dana,commercials.
7/3/13 2:21 PM
ScoutFightApp

When it comes to aggressive wrestling and top game, Weidman is better than the other guys Silva has faced. The best grappler Silva faced would probably be Maia but he doesn't have great wrestling in that division. I would even pick Weidman over Maia in a grappling match. Phone Post 3.0
7/3/13 2:23 PM
Rudi

Vitor, prime hendo, Okami, & Chael would all beat weidman. Phone Post
7/3/13 2:24 PM
Jason
293 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mixed Martial Arts LLC, Site Admin

That an odd statement to make. How about Weidman has NEVER faced a fighter that could even be uttered in the same sentence as Anderson Silva level?

7/3/13 2:25 PM
UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA

You're right, he has fought fighters at much higher levels.

Better bjj players
Better wrestlers
Better strikers

Chris is a BIG dude with a nasty combination of wrestling and bjj, but lets be real. Anderson has fought plenty at Chris' "level". Phone Post
7/3/13 2:27 PM
Rudi

Rudi - Vitor, prime hendo, Okami, & Chael would all beat weidman. Phone Post
Also Nate Marquardt and a prime Rich Franklin would give weidman a good fight. Phone Post
7/3/13 2:33 PM
Jack Skellington
796 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UGCTT_SidRival - Wolf tickets! Get ur wolf tickets here! Phone Post 3.0

LMAO this

The first time Anderson clocks Weidman he's gonna know he's in trouble. Anderson knocks people on their ass with his jab for fucks sake. Chris better be looking for a Chael like takedown & start from there cause without that he's dead in the water IMO.

7/3/13 2:34 PM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
558 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Rudi -
Rudi - Vitor, prime hendo, Okami, & Chael would all beat weidman. Phone Post
Also Nate Marquardt and a prime Rich Franklin would give weidman a good fight. Phone Post
Always felt like Marquardt was an underrated win for Silva Phone Post
7/3/13 2:34 PM
ManWithTheIronFists
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

and Chris hasn't faced a fighter on Anderson's level, nor Hendo, nor Belfort...
7/3/13 2:36 PM
Ligeia420

LOLOLOL
7/3/13 2:39 PM
Rudi

ManWithTheIronFists - and Chris hasn't faced a fighter on Anderson's level, nor Hendo, nor Belfort...
Nor Okami, Nor Chael, Phone Post
7/3/13 2:50 PM
nolabrum

UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA - You're right, he has fought fighters at much higher levels.

Better bjj players
Better wrestlers
Better strikers

Chris is a BIG dude with a nasty combination of wrestling and bjj, but lets be real. Anderson has fought plenty at Chris' "level". Phone Post
If Weidman wins. His coaches will be proven right. But all the nuthuggers will cry about a broken rib or a prime Anderson would have crushed him. It's a big "IF" though. Phone Post 3.0

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.