UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> DFW:GSP Doesn't Want Superfight

7/4/13 8:28 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
ShatsBassoon
269 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

From MMAJUNKIE.COM

http://www.mmajunkie.com/news/2013/07/dana-white-georges-st-pierre-doesnt-want-ufc-superfight-with-anderson-silva

LAS VEGAS – Dana White still would love to put one of those coveted superfights together. But for one of them, he may be past the point of believing it'll ever happen.

The UFC president consistently has been badgered for several years about putting together a fight between UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre (24-2 MMA, 18-2 UFC) and middleweight titleholder Anderson Silva (33-4 MMA, 16-0 UFC). And more recently, there have been calls for a fight between Silva and light heavyweight champ Jon Jones (18-1 MMA, 12-1 UFC).

But White isn't sure a GSP-Silva fight will happen – because it's not a fight St-Pierre wants. Silva on Saturday defends his title against Chris Weidman at UFC 162 at MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas.

"There's no doubt about it – that's a fact (that St-Pierre doesn't want the fight)," White told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) on Thursday following the pre-event news conference for UFC 162. "If that was the case, he'd say, 'F--k Weidman. I'll take that fight. I really think Weidman's going to beat him, but I don't want Weidman to beat him. I want to be the guy to beat him.'"

St-Pierre, though, apparently doesn't believe Silva will beat Weidman. So instead of holding off to see if Silva gets another win, then trying to put a superfight together, St-Pierre focused his next effort on top welterweight contender Johny Hendricks. The two are expected to meet at UFC 167 in November in Las Vegas.

"I've been working hard to try to make those fights," White said. "Georges St-Pierre would not even think about this fight because Anderson Silva's going to (lose), according to Georges St-Pierre."

Silva will attempt to extend his UFC record for not only consecutive wins, but consecutive successful title defenses when he takes on Weidman.

St-Pierre in March in front of his home fans in Montreal took a unanimous decision from Nick Diaz. The Canadian has won 11 straight fights with eight consecutive title defenses.

Silva widely is considered the best pound-for-pound fighter in the world. And depending on the rankings, St-Pierre is considered No. 2 or No. 3, flip-flopping with Jon Jones. Silva is No. 1 St-Pierre No. 3 in the latest USA TODAY Sports/MMAjunkie.com MMA pound-for-pound rankings.

And that's why White is unsure why St-Pierre wouldn't want to make the fight happen, even at a catch weight, to prove who's the best.

"At the end of the day, he weighs 170 pounds," White said. "Any guy who's going to fight up in weight – 'I'm the man here at 170. If I thought I was the man at 185, I'd be at 185.' I get it. But it's a fight a lot of fans want to see, it's a big fight. It's a legacy fight, and it's a fight for the pound-for-pound best in the world.

"Georges St-Pierre could do this catchweight fight and he could still be the champ at 170. But what's crazy to me is, GSP opted to take a very dangerous fight (against Hendricks) at 170 without trying to take a dangerous fight at 185."

For the latest on UFC 162, and the rest of the UFC's upcoming schedule, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

What do you guys figure? Is this the end of speculation regarding Silva vs. St. Pierre or just Dana telling us what we want to hear? Lot of work/contenders at WW right now and i think defending titles is more important than holding up the division to accomodate superfights.

I know a lot of you guys are going to say "he scurred" but i think it's the logical choice for GSP right now.

7/4/13 8:40 PM
Dead President
169 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I love GSP but he has NOTHING for Anderson. I'd rather ANderson shut JBJ's mouth shut for good.
7/4/13 8:43 PM
SKARHEAD
60 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

r-pound best in the world.

"Georges St-Pierre could do this catchweight fight and he could still be the
champ at 170. But what's crazy to me is, GSP opted to take a very dangerous
fight (against Hendricks) at 170 without trying to take a dangerous fight at
185." This is the stupidest thing I've ever read.....This is why I NEVER listen to anything Dana says. Utter bullshit as usual....and the noobs and shills lap it up happily
7/4/13 8:45 PM
armbarseverywhere
55 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BRING BACK PRIDE!!! OWGP!!
7/4/13 8:46 PM
I LOVE GSP
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So was Dana the last one to realize this? Phone Post
7/4/13 8:47 PM
SKARHEAD
60 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dead President - I love GSP but he has NOTHING for Anderson. I'd rather ANderson shut JBJ's mouth shut for good.

Lol...keep dreaming nuthugger. Anderson wants this fight as much as GSP wants Anderson....Anderson would be JBJ's bitch
7/4/13 8:56 PM
BRZ

In Phone Post 3.0
7/4/13 8:58 PM
ShatsBassoon
269 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

SKARHEAD - r-pound best in the world.

"Georges St-Pierre could do this catchweight fight and he could still be the
champ at 170. But what's crazy to me is, GSP opted to take a very dangerous
fight (against Hendricks) at 170 without trying to take a dangerous fight at
185." This is the stupidest thing I've ever read.....This is why I NEVER listen to anything Dana says. Utter bullshit as usual....and the noobs and shills lap it up happily

I have to agree with you. I f you can't see the "canned comments" in all of these media sessions you are either blind or biassed. Anderson with his It's the sport, it's their opinion." 

Really get the feeling, IF Weidman wins, it will be controversial and there will be a rematch. Just speculating obviously but the UFC, at this time, needs a feud/trilogy/drama right now and i'm sure they're looking to make bank on another Silva feud. Back to the well if you will.

Still think it's a good decision for St.Pierre to keep the WW devision rolling, tons of good fights there. And with Silvas age he could potentially surpass his records.

7/4/13 8:59 PM
Vaginal Tear
125 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good. Why the hell should he, and why are we still talking about it after all these yrs? Phone Post 3.0
7/4/13 9:00 PM
ManWithTheIronFists
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Well it's pretty obvious he's been avoiding the fight for years after he was the one who said he wanted to move up and beat the champion in the next weight class.
7/4/13 9:06 PM
SMACDADDY
50 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It amazes me how no one thinks GSP should man up and step up for a catchweight (at the least) fight vs Silva, yet everyone thinks Silva should step up FOR THE 4TH TIME to 205 for a fight vs the most dangerous man the 205 division has to offer. Ridiculous. Let Jones step up to Velasquez or GSP to Silva. Silva has already done more than his part for the UFC and to cement his legacy. Someone's else's turn to "sack up" in my opinion. Phone Post
7/4/13 9:09 PM
Entreri

GSP is just too small for Anderson. Even Ed Soares stated this.

If by some miracle Anderson cuts to 170, it is all GSP.

Pointless.
7/4/13 9:12 PM
SMACDADDY
50 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

LOL at Anderson being "huge". He's 6'2" and "skinny fat" at best. He's no taller than Royce Gracie who has been billed as "this scrawny Brazilian kid" for 2 decades. Now Jones? Now that's a "huuuge bitch" with insane reach! A true genetic freak if you will. I'd put money on it that GSP is stronger, faster, and more athletic than Silva. Not that I think it would help him though. Jones however, is a different animal. Phone Post
7/4/13 9:12 PM
nostripewhite

Or maybe injury plagued GSP should stay at his best weight. Phone Post 3.0
7/4/13 9:17 PM
Remorse
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

But what's crazy to me is, GSP opted to take a very dangerous fight (against Hendricks) at 170 without trying to take a dangerous fight at 185.

teh?
7/4/13 9:24 PM
GSPushedInMyStinkEye
471 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

7/4/13 9:35 PM
Refuse to Lose
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've known this for a long time now but this fight doesn't look like it will ever transpire. I think Jones/Anderson will be the fight the UFC pursues if they both win there next fights. Phone Post
7/4/13 10:39 PM
ILoveWatchingJonesBoneShogun

I think he should be given a MW equivalent of James Irvin to get his feet wet
7/4/13 10:53 PM
UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA

So he went from;

My goal in MMA is to move up and be the 185 champ.

To

I have to take time to add weight.

To

I have to check with my coaches/sponsors.

To

I don't want this fight because Wiedman is going to beat him.

Enough already, lets all move on. Phone Post
7/4/13 10:57 PM
submitbitch

Sounds like Silva doesn't want to fight Jones either. Its easy to pick on the smaller guy.. So when Silva pops off about GSP he should shut up and step up to 205! He is being hypocritical. GSP is just keeping it real. Going up to 185 is a big jump in combat sports.
7/4/13 10:57 PM
UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA

Remorse - But what's crazy to me is, GSP opted to take a very dangerous fight (against Hendricks) at 170 without trying to take a dangerous fight at 185.

teh?
I think Dana may he talking risk/reward/payout

GSP vs Hendricks will not make GSP anywhere near the money as vs Silva. Yet Hendricks is a beast.

A catchweight with Silva and he can fight Hendricks after, still be the champ win or lose, and likely have the same payout from Hendricks...

1.5million buys for Silva vs GSP easily (at least a year to a year and a half ago when the talks of it were at an all time high). Phone Post
7/4/13 11:00 PM
cyberc92
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

submitbitch - Sounds like Silva doesn't want to fight Jones either. Its easy to pick on the smaller guy.. So when Silva pops off about GSP he should shut up and step up to 205! He is being hypocritical. GSP is just keeping it real. Going up to 185 is a big jump in combat sports.

Silva has already moved up in weight 3x and people like rashad evans turned down fights with him at 205. He was only able to fight the guys willing to fight him at that weight.

Offer GSP a guy like Rockhold and see if he would move up.
7/4/13 11:02 PM
ProfessorDuckButter
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Not biased in any way. I could care less if silva loses Saturday or goes undefeated for the rest of his career. But when it comes to these super fight's there is a reason for the weight classes. Let silva drop to 170 or 175 and let bones drop to 185 or 190. There's a larger gap between between bones and silva than silva and gsp.
If a title isn't on the line is it gonna hurt your rep that much if u get beat by a pfp great. I don't think so. Or if the smaller guy is willing to go up then let them do it. But tip toeing and making excuses is worse than sacking up and saying yea that guy fight's at a weight 15 or 20 pounds above me and is a pfp great but fuck it ill fight them. Btw I think silva gets by wiedman on Saturday. Should be a good fight though.
7/4/13 11:05 PM
MieshaTatesSideBoob
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Anderson has fought at LHW before, GSP has never fought at MW... Phone Post 3.0
7/4/13 11:07 PM
ILoveWatchingJonesBoneShogun

"If that was the case, he'd say, 'F--k Weidman. I'll take that fight. I really think Weidman's going to beat him, but I don't want Weidman to beat him. I want to be the guy to beat him.'"

No Dana, it just means he like many fighters think Weidman will win.

yet Dana brings in Shields to offer GSP, then he brings in Diaz to offer GSP. Condit and Hendricks couldn't be anymore deserving of title shots. Not to mention Jake Ellenberger has already accomplished more than 99 percent of Andersons challengers have accomplished yet he is just another guy waiting in line in the shark tank. It never ends while at MW there is Weidman and nothing else but a bunch of 1 dimensional fighters. Hendricks is a killer on the feet and a top level Collegiate wrestler, these types of fighters simply do not exist at MW. You see guys who are great at 1 thing and they get title shots

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.