UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Silva: Boxing RJJ means more than GSP orJones bout

7/4/13 9:42 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1228 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

With his legacy all but cemented as the best middleweight of all-time, what Anderson Silva should do next is a big question. Many would like to see a superfight with Georges St-Pierre or Jones, however Silva himself is stil adamant about a boxing bout with Roy Jones Jr.

"From a professional point of view, my goals have already been accomplished," Silva said. "I don't see any greater challenges in my career. I simply seek to be a better human being every day. I try to set a good example to those around me. That's what's most important to me. A fight with Jon Jones, with St-Pierre or even with Weidman won't change anything. The past has been written already."

So the superfights wouldn't personally mean much to him?

"I believe a fight against Roy Jones Jr. would be much better," he said. "... I think my legacy is already complete. I already fought around the world. I think I'm the only athlete in this sport who has four belts from four different promotions. I have the Cage Rage belt. I have the PRIDE belt from when I beat Dan Henderson in a unification bout. I also have the Shooto and UFC belts."

read entire article...

7/4/13 10:16 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
GladiatorGannon
295 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The RJJ thing is a good fight for both guys, big bragging rights and money for both sides, without anyone being outmatched.
7/4/13 10:24 PM
T-Ham
294 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

RCP_TT4LIFE - The media proclaimed greatest of all time is saying fighting a way past prime, zombie like Roy Jones is better than fighting a young strong champion like Jon Jones.

GOAT!
Unbelievable....

Is this pretty standard talk on the UG? I don't get on the UG much. (For this very reason) Phone Post 3.0
7/4/13 10:30 PM
ILoveWatchingJonesBoneShogun
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He pretty much has accepted that competition is going up and putting things into perspective by saying what he already accomplished fully knowing what is about to happen to his mma record. I think RJJ would actually take this fight
7/4/13 11:16 PM
Dave3ill

Roy Jones is fucking DONE. Even at times sounds lightly punch drunk. If he wants to fight a old man that can still fight Hopkins is waiting.
7/4/13 11:29 PM
Phisher

GladiatorGannon - The RJJ thing is a good fight for both guys, big bragging rights and money for both sides, without anyone being outmatched.

This fight isn't good for anybody. Jones has no business going anywhere near a ring again even to fight a guy like Silva.

7/4/13 11:51 PM
ShanTheMan
807 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

RJJ looks like shit man....fuck
7/5/13 12:11 AM
GizmodoMMA
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sick of hearing about this it's never gonna happen. Phone Post 3.0
7/5/13 1:54 AM
Malachy Friedman
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

this will be boxing right?

or a gentleman's agreement in ufc rules

kickboxing would be shitty for Roy too

I dont know how ufc promotes boxing match on one of their cards
7/5/13 2:19 AM
Brian J DSouza

UFC wouldn't touch this, under any circumstances.

I see where Anderson is coming from, though: To him, facing RJJ is like facing Tyson or Ali (skill wise).

Have more respect for RJJ and what he accomplished.

7/5/13 8:21 AM
ShamusO'nyou
244 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Takes away the shine from the sport when you would rather compete in a different sport against a fighter way , WAY past his prime.

Beating Jones so far from his prime would mean nothing. Yet it is more important and bigger than the two absolute biggest and most meaningful fights in MMA?

Wow

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.