UnderGround Forums

BJJGround Forum >> TME about Ryan Gracie

7/4/13 11:14 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Pride Wanderlei
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I just watched the Gracie's and the Birthplace of Vale Tudo, Ryan had some small parts in it. I know he passed away young, but he was before my time in BJJ/MMA. How was he as a fighter? How good was he at BJJ? What his his style like? Any crazy stories Etc. Phone Post 3.0
7/5/13 1:08 AM
thebasher

draculinho talks very fondly about him in one clip you'll find on youtube and all his pride fights are available.

certainly a colourful character who had some serious issues but my favorite gracie

he features heavily in legend
7/5/13 3:20 AM
spider guard
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He had his demons. However, he was 1 of those types that if your were friends, then you were friends no matter what. If you were his enemy, then it's pretty much for life. Would literally give you the shirt of his back if you liked his shirt. 1 time in San Diego, he was at a party and a blue blet who weighed 140lbs was getting picked on a dude like 100lbs more. Ryan choked out the dude. Everyone was freaking out, but Ryan just said let him sleep and it'll be fine. Later on in his life though I heard that his demons were just consuming him more and more. His students seem to be super loyal and I have heard numerous times that he instilled that kind of loyalty with a mixture of genuine care and love for his students with a hint of absolute intimidation.
7/5/13 9:15 AM
Pride Wanderlei

What do you guys mean by Demon's? Phone Post 3.0
7/5/13 11:32 AM
Tomato Can
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dude was ultra unstable and probably a pretty serious addict. I used to train at Renzo's and whenever I saw him there he seemed like a guy to steer clear of. He had the crazy eyes, there was something missing there.
7/5/13 11:40 AM
PrisonMattressPuncher

If by "demons" you mean a spoiled, criminal, thug, bully then I agree. He lived a criminal lifestyle filled with bullying, guns,and drugs. There is not reason to 'celebrate' this guy when there are so many other decent humans in the world.

I don't think it is a coincidence that his brother Ralph is also known as a highly unstable, psychopath with a little guy bullying complex.

7/5/13 12:18 PM
Pride Wanderlei

Outside of his personal life, has anyone rolled with him? What was that like? Phone Post 3.0
7/5/13 12:29 PM
Siciliano
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I remember when I rolled with Kyra when I trained at Renzo’s for 2 months. She shot in (no-gi) and accidentally my thumb gets in her eye and she goes to the ladies locker room crying. I can never forget that death stare Ryan gave me (albeit for a split second). I was ready to get my chef’s knife from the locker room and gut him if he ever tried to attack me. LOL! He smiled though and said it was OK. Whew!
7/5/13 3:25 PM
Aaronrodgers=GOAT
484 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Siciliano - I remember when I rolled with Kyra when I trained at Renzo’s for 2 months. She shot in (no-gi) and accidentally my thumb gets in her eye and she goes to the ladies locker room crying. I can never forget that death stare Ryan gave me (albeit for a split second). I was ready to get my chef’s knife from the locker room and gut him if he ever tried to attack me. LOL! He smiled though and said it was OK. Whew!
Yikes Phone Post
7/5/13 6:33 PM
Hunter V
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Pride Wanderlei - What do you guys mean by Demon's? Phone Post 3.0

addictions to drugs for the most part. It's the polite way of saying he had problems w substances.
7/5/13 8:08 PM
163 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I know he wanted to kick rorion ass,but Renzo talked him out of it.rorion was asleep at the time
7/6/13 3:11 AM
skilgannon

what I want to know is how involved was he in training his students? mainly the ones that represent his association. Ryan seems like his BJJ style is better for mma/vale tudo and no gi but his Ryan Gracie association has pumped out some really good and technical sport bjj guys like Celso Vinicius. I was really got the impression he started an academy and had the time to actually spend much time there to teach and develop students since he seemed like he was always traveling, training, and fighting/competing
7/6/13 7:47 AM
Herbish1
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've heard stories he'd crank a toe hold just because he wanted to. Phone Post 3.0
7/6/13 2:49 PM
Jits_n_Hoez

Looked unstable and egotistical in all of the footage I saw of him. Phone Post
7/6/13 3:10 PM
manster
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He once bit part of a guy's ear off in a fight. I think his name was Tico. It was one of those backyard old school Gracie challenge kind of things. I think I used to have it on VHS. You might find it on Youtube.
7/6/13 3:19 PM
dannybjj
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

PrisonMattressPuncher -

If by "demons" you mean a spoiled, criminal, thug, bully then I agree. He lived a criminal lifestyle filled with bullying, guns,and drugs. There is not reason to 'celebrate' this guy when there are so many other decent humans in the world.

I don't think it is a coincidence that his brother Ralph is also known as a highly unstable, psychopath with a little guy bullying complex.

So you knew him personally? Phone Post
7/6/13 3:23 PM
dannybjj
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I believe I've seen in a video renzo claim Ryan was the most talented in comparison to Ralph and Renzo. Phone Post
7/6/13 4:01 PM
GrahamJ

manster - He once bit part of a guy's ear off in a fight. I think his name was Tico. It was one of those backyard old school Gracie challenge kind of things. I think I used to have it on VHS. You might find it on Youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ba4IUJH1P_Y

I can't fathom the mentality of anybody who would participate in, or even spectate, that, but y'know: whatever, man.
7/6/13 4:14 PM
GrahamJ

http://www.graciemag.com/2012/12/special-5-years-without-ryan-gracie/

7/6/13 5:33 PM
GrahamJ

HAHAHAHA!

Projecting much...?

And to answer your questions: no - i've never wanted to watch two men fight in speedos, in a back yard, while their equally juvenile friends egg them on, and tell them to bite the other guy; i'm not a mongoloid.

I've never had 'beef', because i'm not a fucking moron - and I don't regard having a fight as a constructive means of resolution...but then: i'm not plotting a course for an early death from a drug overdose in a gaol cell, so I guess i'm not failing on that front.

'Playing footsies': I don't know what this is in reference to, as i'm not on record as saying I like 'playing footsies'.
7/6/13 9:06 PM
LittleTony
37 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My one Ryan Gracie story happened the night of the 2001 World Championships in Brazil. This was the day that Ryan punched Wallid Ismail in the back the head and made a big deal during the event.

I was in the night club and I did the classic dumping shoulder-to-shoulder with this brazilian guy. When I turned around and looked up to say sorry or desculpe, it was Ryan Gracie of all the people in the World.

I said, Ryan with a smile...he looked at me and smile like everything was okay no problem. He felt like a brick wall. I will never forget that.

"little" Tony
7/7/13 12:16 AM
tbarchard
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

skilgannon - what I want to know is how involved was he in training his students? mainly the ones that represent his association. Ryan seems like his BJJ style is better for mma/vale tudo and no gi but his Ryan Gracie association has pumped out some really good and technical sport bjj guys like Celso Vinicius. I was really got the impression he started an academy and had the time to actually spend much time there to teach and develop students since he seemed like he was always traveling, training, and fighting/competing
Celsinho was a student of Gordo who took over Ryan's school in Brazil after he died. All the Black Belts I know under Ryan all speak of him fondly. Phone Post 3.0
7/7/13 12:37 AM
redwhiteandblues
61 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i had a chance to meet him at my second grappling tournament (around 2000 or 01), super friendly........i wished him luck on his career.

7/8/13 12:52 AM
RoidsGracie

Macaco on his encounter with Ryan Gracie:

My student won his fight, when I was taking him to the dressing room, he was approached by the media, so I left him and progressed to the room. I had to pass through the crowd where there were students from the Gibi-Thai (academy) and from Gracie Sao Paulo (Ryan’s team), they told me I couldn’t get through, and as soon as I asked “Why?” someone hit me from my back, when I turned it was Ryan and I didn’t think twice, I hit him with a jab and a hook which left him dizzy. He still came forward so I hit him again.

http://www.bjjheroes.com/bjj-fighters/jorge-patino-macaco-gold-team
7/8/13 2:10 AM
gurukripa
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In that fight video I am pretty sure that is his father Robson who allows and encourages him to keep biting.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.