UnderGround Forums

BJJGround Forum >> TME about Ryan Gracie

7/8/13 1:26 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
alley
83 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

dannybjj -  I believe I've seen in a video renzo claim Ryan was the most talented in comparison to Ralph and Renzo. Phone Post

Renzo might have just been speaking complimentary of Ryan because he had passed on. None of Ryan's accomplishments come even close to Renzo - mma, addcc, or bjj.

For fun, here's Renzo and Ryan training: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOwl0HcKwUM
7/8/13 1:42 PM
GrahamJ
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

'...my Uncle Hélio forgot, was the brotherly love. You see, if you call my brother Ralph now, and you ask him, who is better, him or me, he is going to tell you, it’s me. If you call me now and ask me, who is better, I will tell you it’s him.

We both know who is better, because we’ve trained together our whole life, but I want to see him in the highest spot. I know he wants to see me that way too. If you ask both of us who is actually better, that came out from my mother’s womb, we would both tell you it was our brother Ryan. This is the difference, between the brotherhood and the love we have for each other, and what my Uncle Hélio and his descendants have.'

- Renzo.

Http://thefightworkspodcast.com/2009/11/29/renzo-gracie/
7/8/13 4:17 PM
121 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What type of drug use is he alleged of?
7/8/13 9:37 PM
AlphaSlap
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Renzos always had funny stories about him. I think Renzo loved him very much.

He was always nice to me when I trained at Renzos.

Every guy in BJJ in the late 90s has a story about Ryan and his team in Brazil.
His feud with Wallid spilled over to the two teams, some of it was downright comical.

A black belt told me once that a fight between the two teams almost broke out because one of Ryan's guys looked up at Wallid (in the stands) and started talking shit, while he was on the mat competing.

Also, Ryan's guys came in behind Wallids in a comp once, so Ryan made his whole team jump off a bridge.
7/8/13 10:08 PM
pheonix5
603 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Renzo said Ryan caused his parents more trouble than he and Ralph combined. The dude was unstable to say the least. If you were part of the Gracie clan,students included, I think he was cool with you. With the exception of Wallid and Tico (Carlson Gracie). But also there was always that chance he could just snap at any time, someone I wouldn't want to be around.

Here's a little article

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/4901-ryan-gracie-the-bad-boy-of-brazilian-jiu-jitsu-dies-in-jail-cell

7/10/13 12:30 PM
IrishAggression
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Tomato Can - Dude was ultra unstable and probably a pretty serious addict. I used to train at Renzo's and whenever I saw him there he seemed like a guy to steer clear of. He had the crazy eyes, there was something missing there.

Agreed. I used to venture up to the NYC school periodically back in the day. I made sure I was always on the other side of the room whenever he was around.
7/10/13 12:49 PM
dannybjj
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

alley -
dannybjj -  I believe I've seen in a video renzo claim Ryan was the most talented in comparison to Ralph and Renzo. Phone Post

Renzo might have just been speaking complimentary of Ryan because he had passed on. None of Ryan's accomplishments come even close to Renzo - mma, addcc, or bjj.

For fun, here's Renzo and Ryan training: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOwl0HcKwUM
I've seen the video before. And I agree his accomplishments do not add to that of Renzo, but he was speaking on Ryan's talent. I'd say Ryan's death and maybe some personal problems interfered with what could of been. That we'll never know. Phone Post
7/10/13 1:28 PM
GrahamJ

Biggy - in brazil people will get into street fights all the time like its no big deal. but the line is drawn if u carry guns. most don't cuz if caught the police will throw u in jail. lets just say that Brazilian jail is another world which can be compared to the hell scenes in Event Horizon. so again, most don't carry guns for this reason and risk.

Ryan was one who carried guns and even show them off while in brazil (source mark Coleman during a Pride event) Phone Post 3.0

www.fightersonlymag.com/content/news/19316-falcao-beaten-unconscious-with-bat-friend-in-critical-condition
7/10/13 4:39 PM
Magic Mago

GrahamJ -
Biggy - in brazil people will get into street fights all the time like its no big deal. but the line is drawn if u carry guns. most don't cuz if caught the police will throw u in jail. lets just say that Brazilian jail is another world which can be compared to the hell scenes in Event Horizon. so again, most don't carry guns for this reason and risk.

Ryan was one who carried guns and even show them off while in brazil (source mark Coleman during a Pride event) Phone Post 3.0

www.fightersonlymag.com/content/news/19316-falcao-beaten-unconscious-with-bat-friend-in-critical-condition
What I get out of that article is, fuck that guy, he shoved a chick because she wasn't interested in him and the assault of another woman at a club.

Too bad about his friend tho. Phone Post
7/10/13 5:00 PM
MickColins
137 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Shithouse rats thought Ryan was a wee bit unstable. Phone Post 3.0
7/10/13 5:40 PM
Biggy
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GrahamJ -

what does this article have to do with what I posted? Phone Post 3.0
7/10/13 6:38 PM
GrahamJ

Biggy - 
GrahamJ -

what does this article have to do with what I posted? Phone Post 3.0

It was in Brazil; it was a streetfight; no guns were involved - but it escalated quickly to a very serious degree; the MMA fighter got a real beating - even though he didn't flash a gun; i'd imagine the police will treat this case seriously, and someone will go to jail - even though no gun was involved.
7/10/13 7:02 PM
Biggy
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

oh god you're picking an extreme example. I'm talking fist fights that plenty of brazilians get into everyday. knew one guy that got into like 4 in one night. no big deal. can fights escalate? sure but it's usually not the case and nothing comes from them.

on the other hand, if your caught carrying guns (notice this guy had a bat on him and not a gun) then ull be thrown in jail no questions asked. that's the point I'm making Phone Post 3.0
7/10/13 7:08 PM
GrahamJ

Fair enough: wasn't calling you a liar, or being argumentative.
7/10/13 9:42 PM
Biggy

cool cool Phone Post 3.0

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.