UnderGround Forums

BJJGround Forum >> How to get good grip strength?

7/5/13 6:34 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Pride Wanderlei
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So I know this MIGHT be "WFA" BUT Im looking to improve grip strength, I have one of those pro grip things to help. What else could I do? How often should I be "working" on my grips? I don't wanna over do it!

Thanks Phone Post 3.0
7/5/13 6:38 PM
Siciliano
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TTT. Burned out my grip this weekend at a tournament. Made me realize that grip endurance is very important for competition.

So far I only do kettlebells and Bulgarian Bags. The Bulgarian Bags does help with grip strength as well as the Bottoms-Up Press for kettlebells.
7/5/13 6:41 PM
Muffinho
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

gi/towel pull ups or rows

take a bucket of sand and squeeze
7/5/13 7:04 PM
TheThrill
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

check the thread on the judo forum here,theres some good ideas on there
7/5/13 7:27 PM
Predator2alpha
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

People tell me I have a strong grip. I always tell them I use the "grapple gripz" when I do pull-ups and use "fat gripz" for dead lifts. Both those products aren't that cheap but I feel they keep my grip strength improving. Phone Post 3.0
7/5/13 7:37 PM
XmmaAddictX
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What helped me to improve grip strength was to perform grip training exercises while the wrist is neutral, in flexion, and extension.

Often overlooked, while rolling you are never just securing your grips while in a neutral plane.

Take a stress or squeeze ball and with your wrist in neutral position squeeze and release, repeat this exercise now with your wrist in flexion, and then extension. I noticed my grips were much more weak when not neutral. It worked for me. Phone Post
7/5/13 8:07 PM
184 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Predator2alpha - People tell me I have a strong grip. I always tell them I use the "grapple gripz" when I do pull-ups and use "fat gripz" for dead lifts. Both those products aren't that cheap but I feel they keep my grip strength improving. Phone Post 3.0

do you know mike? ask him to give a discount to the forum for a limited time.
7/5/13 9:18 PM
CodeGeek
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've been doing a lot of battle rope lately, and I find that it has had a very positive effect on my grip strength, and overall endurance of my forearms, biceps and core.
7/5/13 11:19 PM
angrypirate
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have found that bouldering is the best for developing your grip. There is also a lot of other benefits that crossover into bjj as well.

7/6/13 12:23 AM
PayItForward
161 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

farmer walks with a thick handled barbell or wrap cloth around it until it's thicker. something that will require your entire hand engaging in the grip at 100%.
7/6/13 12:15 PM
Tilla

Practice Judo.

You'll gain insane grip strength from practicing Judo. Because if you don't get grip control expect to get thrown.
7/6/13 12:25 PM
BjjinCT

Check out chin na Phone Post
7/6/13 12:54 PM
Muggler
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Rock climbing Phone Post 3.0
7/6/13 1:00 PM
BEEF & CHEESE
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Farmers walks Phone Post 3.0
7/6/13 1:16 PM
Aaronrodgers=GOAT
709 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

. Phone Post
7/6/13 1:21 PM
DarthChoke
50 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Does anyone like the Capt of Crunch grippers? I would think holding closed the 1or the 2 would simulate gi gripping.

Also pull ups gripping a gi hanging over the bar would be good. Phone Post 3.0
7/6/13 5:32 PM
angrypirate
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Muggler - Rock climbing Phone Post 3.0

I like the cut of your jib sir!
7/6/13 5:59 PM
Grandmaster Wang

Learn to know when to use your grip strength and when to relax it a bit.
7/6/13 6:04 PM
Twizz
38 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Keep gripping people when you roll. Phone Post 3.0
7/6/13 9:50 PM
Blkbelt39
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hang a gi and do pull-ups by gripping the collars regular grip and lapel choke grip. Cut the sleeves off a old gi and tie them each around a concrete block. Grip the sleeves with a monkey grip and lift them off the ground Phone Post 3.0
7/6/13 10:12 PM
SC MMA MD
259 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Your grip muscles are hard to overwork, you can train them often. We do a few grip exercises before most classes by dragging a partner across the mat while they lay on their back and you gripping their sleeves with spider grip, then pistol grip, and then with you holding a belt ( they hold the middle of the belt and you hold the ends- no wrapping the belt around your hands). The stronger guys will sometimes throw their belt over the bag rack and climb it using just their arms from a seated position (I can't pull that off) Phone Post 3.0
7/6/13 11:04 PM
jakem
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

dig ditches and turn wrenches for twenty years..
7/7/13 1:34 AM
Akston
41 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

. Phone Post
7/7/13 7:40 AM
JasonGV
49 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Deadlifts, pull ups, cleans.

7/7/13 4:25 PM
jrv
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bouldering/rock climbing Phone Post 3.0

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.