UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> DFW-It's going to suck when Anderson Silva retires

7/5/13 11:07 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
912 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Anderson Silva is two years older than Fedor Emelianenko, and heavyweights tend to peak later than middleweights. At some point, The Spider is going to retire. And when he does, it will suck.

B/R's Damon Martin has the story.

"I think that's one of the things people don't really think about or realize, but the day that comes when that man says 'I'm going to retire' it's going to suck," said UFC president Dana White recently.

"It's literally like when Jordan went away in basketball. How many games do they have a year in basketball, 80-something games? Whatever the number is and you took it for granted every night that Jordan played right up until he left. I think that's going to be the case with Anderson Silva too."

"When he fights I’m like 'oh s--- something crazy's going to happen tonight. If you look at the Vitor (Belfort) kick, what he did to Vitor, when Bonnar throws that spinning back kick and he steps to the side and then steps back in.  He put his hands down and letting him hit him."

"I think every time this guy goes out there he has some crazy, weird way to challenge himself, and just kind of play with things.  You know how confident you've got to be in your f---ing abilities, and your chin, and your skills and your age and all that s---, and how absolutely f---ing bad ass you've got to be to do the things that this guy does."

Read entire article...

It isn't going to last forever, Silva will be fighting Saturday night, live on PPV.

7/5/13 11:22 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
MyUnclesCreepy
767 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It really will suck when he retires

The UFC better release every Anderson fight on DVD not the best of Anderson but every Ando fight ever Phone Post 3.0
7/5/13 11:25 PM
MahatmaPetey
273 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MyUnclesCreepy - It really will suck when he retires

The UFC better release every Anderson fight on DVD not the best of Anderson but every Ando fight ever Phone Post 3.0

I would buy that. If only his Enlish was better, it'd be great to have him do commentary over every fight like Bas did for his set.
7/5/13 11:30 PM
MyUnclesCreepy
767 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

. Phone Post 3.0
7/5/13 11:32 PM
UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MahatmaPetey -

I would buy that. If only his Enlish was better, it'd be great to have him do commentary over every fight like Bas did for his set.
Its getting much better in recent interviews. I bet by the time he retires he could do it!

Fuck I would buy it even of he was speaking Portuguese :-) Phone Post
ILoveWatchingJonesBoneShogun

fun fighter to watch
MyUnclesCreepy

MahatmaPetey -

Ya I can't wait till my son is older so we can go thru all his fights and show him what a boss he really is

Do you hear me Dana we want every Ando fight on DVD make it happen Phone Post 3.0
7/5/13 11:34 PM
MahatmaPetey
273 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA - 
MahatmaPetey -

Its getting much better in recent interviews. I bet by the time he retires he could do it!

Fuck I would buy it even of he was speaking Portuguese :-) Phone Post

Haha yeah, I might learn Portuguese for that.
7/5/13 11:36 PM
MyUnclesCreepy

. Phone Post 3.0
7/6/13 12:01 AM
Sho_Kosugi

Funny that it wasn't too long ago Dana was talking about cutting Anderson after a couple snoozer fights. 

7/6/13 12:26 AM
MahatmaPetey

Sho_Kosugi - 

Funny that it wasn't too long ago Dana was talking about cutting Anderson after a couple snoozer fights. 

Dana on the left.

7/6/13 12:27 AM
tempus

MyUnclesCreepy - 
MahatmaPetey -

Ya I can't wait till my son is older so we can go thru all his fights and show him what a boss he really is

Do you hear me Dana we want every Ando fight on DVD make it happen Phone Post 3.0

Absolutely agree. That is the only MMA DVD I would ever buy, and at any price
7/6/13 12:32 AM
UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA

Sho_Kosugi - 

I think it was more the mocking and disrespect from the Maia fight that pissed him off...

That was their debut for the Shieks in Abu and all, and he acted pretty shitty in that fight. Not so much a "snoozer" issue as a "Hey fuckface, WTF are you doing?"

7/6/13 1:16 AM
MyUnclesCreepy

tempus -
MyUnclesCreepy - 
MahatmaPetey -

Absolutely agree. That is the only MMA DVD I would ever buy, and at any price
Me as well sir hands down day of release is buy that shit in a minute Phone Post 3.0
7/6/13 1:21 AM
ChaosOverkill
370 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Way to shit on your product there Dana.

Your hyperbole implies what is left over is crap compared.

7/6/13 1:45 AM
thatcpjguy

Losing Anderson is like losing chuck, irreplaceable. Hopefully some new young warrior steps in to give us some good moments. Maybe weidman or hall will be that guy. Phone Post 3.0
7/6/13 1:48 AM
wrestling4life
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MyUnclesCreepy - It really will suck when he retires

Agreed Phone Post 3.0
7/6/13 1:53 AM
Dingleberry Flopdoink The 3rd
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The only Anderson fight I've seen live was the Cote fight. I have to make a point to go see another one before he retires.
7/6/13 1:57 AM
cool hand Ed
117 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dingleberry Flopdoink The 3rd - The only Anderson fight I've seen live was the Cote fight. I have to make a point to go see another one before he retires.
Yeah I was there live for the Leites fight. LOL
You and I really know how to pick them. Phone Post
7/6/13 2:03 AM
time traveling 12er
204 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ChaosOverkill - 

Way to shit on your product there Dana.

Your hyperbole implies what is left over is crap compared.

lol
7/6/13 2:07 AM
jcblass

Yea, because that would mean some of those fighters who "don't matter" will be title contenders.
7/6/13 2:14 AM
MattyECB
123 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It really is something special with how long AS has lasted. I'm not surprised Fedor had a short shelf life since the only thing in a HW's favor for longevity is their power and generally lesser reliance on stamina and speed, which was his specialty being a doughy little whirlwhind of honey badger death.

With Anderson's ridiculous style it's gonna be ugly when he finally falls.
I mean it's retarded how much of a second wind his career has had since he turned 35 -- the age he said he'd retire at and pursue his dream of *shudder* taking out a shambling, broken RJJ. Since then he went from fighting Maia in the lamest shittiest fight he had in ages, and shut up everyone still sore over that and his Cote / Leites showings.

Here's to hoping he has another five years in him, and put's on a helluva show against Weidman
7/6/13 4:00 AM
WoodenPupa
87 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't dread the retirements as much as the comebacks. Almost nobody in the fight game stays retired, and that usually means a string of embarrassing fights. I hope he goes out on top, with his health and cognition intact. I want to see him fat, happy, and permanently retired when he finally calls it quits.
7/6/13 4:10 AM
ManWithTheIronFists
51 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Anderson's like fine wine, he gets better with age. I just hope he retires on his own terms and not the way Chuck did getting knocked out right and left.
7/6/13 5:01 AM
OldManMinerva

anybody remember when Dana refused to put the belt on him post fight and had someone else do it and said he would have no problem stripping a champion of his belt and letting him go from his contact?

I think it was the card in Abu Dahbi

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.