UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Forbes: Silva loss would be good for UFC

7/6/13 9:10 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1252 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

There is a widespread belief that a loss for Anderson Silva, the best fighter in the UFC, and the world, would be a loss for the UFC. However, Chris Smith from Forbes magazine argues that precisely the opposite is true.

Many are predicting that the Spider will lose the strap tomorrow night, and there couldn’t be a better outcome for the UFC.

Silva has held the middleweight belt for nearly seven years. While legacies are great for business – hello, New York Yankees – a new champ would inject some life into a weight class that’s become a bit stale. Moreover, a Weidman win would immediately set up a rematch between the two fighters.

Rematches are incredibly popular. Silva’s rematch against Chael Sonnen last year drew a staggering one million PPV buys, and that was without the storyline of Silva as comeback contender. Should Silva take the title back in a rematch, the potential rubber match would likely be the most anticipated fight in MMA history.

The one downside of a Silva loss is that it would erase much of the excitement surrounding a potential superfight with Georges St. Pierre. However, like Pacquiao-Mayweather, the Silva-GSP superfight doesn’t seem to be in the cards, regardless of what happens this weekend.

Underdog upsets are some of the most exciting moments in sports, and the first UFC loss of the all-time greatest would be headline news. But more importantly for UFC and its fans, a Silva loss would create an incredible rivalry and set up a rematch that could challenge UFC 100 for the sport’s biggest pay-per-view draw. That’s the sort of victory UFC, a quickly growing but still niche promotion, really needs, and Weidman has the best chance yet of delivering it.

Read entire article...

7/6/13 9:13 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This guy must not follow MMA that closely. GSP doesn't want that fight regardless. The fact he said that and not Jones makes me not click to read it all... Phone Post
7/6/13 9:20 AM
Kirik
1930 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The UnderGround, Mayor
UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA -  This guy must not follow MMA that closely. GSP doesn't want that fight regardless. The fact he said that and not Jones makes me not click to read it all... Phone Post

Author said it will not happen, as GSP doesn't want it. Jones fight won't happen as Silva explicitly doesn't want it and explicitly doesn't think he can win it. The point is that a Silva loss is not bad of the UFC, as superfights aren't going to happen anyway.

7/6/13 9:24 AM
TryhardNobody
482 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Depends how Silva loses. If he gets pounded out in 30 seconds, the rematch might not be as anticipated as if its a close fight. And Silva might not want a rematch if he gets dominated and destroyed.
7/6/13 9:31 AM
El_Varaco
331 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Silva might retire if he loses Phone Post 3.0
7/6/13 9:34 AM
UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA

Kirik -
UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA -  This guy must not follow MMA that closely. GSP doesn't want that fight regardless. The fact he said that and not Jones makes me not click to read it all... Phone Post

Author said it will not happen, as GSP doesn't want it. Jones fight won't happen as Silva explicitly doesn't want it and explicitly doesn't think he can win it. The point is that a Silva loss is not bad of the UFC, as superfights aren't going to happen anyway.

Well what weird choice for wording in the opening paragraphs then. Seems he does follow MMA, and maybe wrote this a week ago, before Anderson said in multiple interviews that he will fight Jones? Phone Post
7/6/13 10:09 AM
FightToLive
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Even Better for the Weidman Family! War Chris!!!!
7/6/13 10:23 AM
omlet de fromage

El_Varaco - Silva might retire if he loses Phone Post 3.0
I think he would rematch Weidman, win the belt and then retire Phone Post
7/6/13 10:56 AM
NomoRomophobia
214 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just the fact that Forbes is writing about it is awesome. Phone Post 3.0
7/6/13 12:53 PM
attjack

I don't think a lot of people are picking against Silva. Where does he get that? Phone Post
7/6/13 1:10 PM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
575 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kirik -

Silva has said his wants to fight Jon Jones this week. Phone Post
7/6/13 1:28 PM
JeffersonDArcyChoke
368 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If Weidman wins, it'll make people say Silva got old.

It would take a beating of Silva to make Weidman a draw after this fight.

Like Ralphie on top of Scut Farkus type beating.

If ever there were a time to work the finish of a fight; THIS is it.

With buy rates down across the board save for GSP, Silva and Jones fights it is clear the UFC isn't living in the world of UFC 100 any longer.

They need a star to be born who can sell PPV events.

Who knows if its Weidman but the UFC wouldn't complain if Chris wins in devastating fashion. Phone Post
7/6/13 3:09 PM
The Last Emperor

omlet de fromage - 
El_Varaco - Silva might retire if he loses Phone Post 3.0
I think he would rematch Weidman, win the belt and then retire Phone Post

Still hanging on to fairy tales I see.
7/6/13 4:03 PM
dermotfix
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Weidman could be the Matt Hughes of the middleweight division

7/6/13 7:11 PM
CindyO

NomoRomophobia - Just the fact that Forbes is writing about it is awesome. Phone Post 3.0

I know! Before clicking the thread I assumed the writers name must be Forbes! Pretty awesome, indeed!

Cindy

7/6/13 7:17 PM
ILoveWatchingJonesBoneShogun

I share the same opinion as most fighters in that Silva will lose tonight. Will be putting money on it aswell because it is hard to see a scenario where he pulls off the win. I'm not a gambler anymore but just can't pass this up, with that said I disagree about it being a good thing.

We have 3 superheros in 3 divisions right now that seem unbeatable, the public eats up the stars and Weidman will in time be seen as unbeatable but it will take about 3fights until that comes. Much like it took a cpl fights for Silva to get that after beating the unbeatable RIch Franklin. The division is in great hands and it finally seems like some real contenders are on the horizon that will give some credibility to Chris's reign as king
7/6/13 7:19 PM

dermotfix - 

Weidman could be the Matt Hughes of the middleweight division

how so?
7/6/13 8:13 PM

KingofBJJ - 

A loss by Silva would probably be big money for the UFC in a rematch, but so what?  All of this hype about Weidman is starting to out do the crap surrounding Sonnen.

I just don't think Weidman has proven himself in the cage yet.  He hasn't fought a former champion (Franklin) or a notorious slugger (Vitor), to fully challenge him.  I watched replays of his fights, and like GSP says "I was not impressed".

After this defeat and total let down of apparently a large portions of the UFC and others already counting Silva out, my guess is Chris will drop down to 170.

Regardless, Silva will not be given credit in victory or loss, because people will say that the person he fought was somone he should have beaten.

Munoz is better than both of those guys
7/6/13 8:14 PM
TuLegit

It'd be disappointing if a jersey shore boy beat the goat. Phone Post 3.0
7/6/13 8:31 PM
dermotfix
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Long Island is not in the same state.

And regarding CW being like Matt Hughes...

I mean he's a dominant wrestler with very good submissions who could dominate the division for a while.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.