UnderGround Forums

BJJGround Forum >> High 90s with full humidity- no one at class

7/6/13 10:43 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
microbiologynerd
1226 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Instructor left me a gym key (i know right!) to open a few days a week while hes in brazil

Class/open mat started 10 min ago... And not a soul here, just me. Was planning on just drilling today as the heat is unbearable. No ac in gym, just fans and windows

Any tips/stories for training in this oppressive weather? Phone Post 3.0
7/6/13 10:51 AM
FanToFighter
237 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I would fucking be there! What I would give to have a real BJJ coach Phone Post 3.0
7/6/13 11:11 AM
microbiologynerd
1226 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Im no coach... Just a forever blue belt with a key :). Phone Post 3.0
7/6/13 3:27 PM
FanToFighter
237 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I would be happy with a committed sparring partner. I live in a small town where only people who train, drink beer six days a week and "trane UFC" the last day. Phone Post 3.0
7/6/13 4:46 PM
PayItForward
191 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

we are also in some high 90s and humid conditions. we had 20 or so on the mat and everyone was gearing up for a big comp coming up....

I literally drank 1.5 gallons of water in one session.. forced myself to drink a ton every 10 minutes or so. also, I had a container of ice cubes that I would put in a towel after each hard roll, wet it w/ cold water and put over my neck and head. pouring cold water over head w/ a towel around my neck to catch run off. it reinvigorates you and gets you ready for the next "match".
7/6/13 5:31 PM
shen
1063 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm guessing part of the reason no one was there was because the coach was gone. Some people just don't want to come to class unless they get "credit" for it.
7/6/13 5:36 PM
microbiologynerd

could be shen- but we have a pretty dedicated group of regulars, then the casuals, and then 1-2 guys who show up once every other month. 

they were afraid since ive been watching andre's guard dvd over and over!

7/6/13 6:06 PM
Twizz
38 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wimps Phone Post 3.0
7/6/13 6:22 PM
CodeGeek
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07/06/13 6:23 PM
I trained for a while at an old-school place that was always really hot (it was basically a warehouse with a metal roof, so it'd be like 100 degrees in there). They took pride in keeping the fans off and the doors closed. It was like it was a badge of honor to punish yourself. Anyway, I got heat exhaustion one day, and nearly passed out several times while driving home. After that I'd drink a ton of water for several hours before class, and an entire liter of coconut water right before stepping on the mat, and plenty of water between rounds. Even then it was brutal.
7/6/13 6:41 PM
SC MMA MD
317 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Some of my best training has been on days when the school was "closed" and a couple of us went in and just worked on stuff for a couple of hours. No "credit", but who cares- mat time is mat time Phone Post 3.0
7/6/13 7:55 PM
spider guard
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm in a tropical country. It's always 100% humidity and always hot, like 80's and 90's. There are those that won't let temp get in their way of the training and then those who have to have perfect conditions.
7/7/13 10:37 AM
Easytarget
48 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I get tropical summers, mid nineties and humid as it can possibly be without rain. Last for 2 months or so, no real dip in numbers, no a.c either.
7/7/13 2:50 PM
Animal Mother
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

For a while there was no ac at Renzos. The winter was absolutely horrible because all the hot water pipes in the ceiling had to have raised the temp to I don't even know what. Some people would just stop training. After we got AC I felt like I couldn't even break a sweat lol. Phone Post 3.0
7/7/13 3:17 PM
jakem
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

almost every day in central texas..
7/7/13 4:51 PM
CauliEars

Sounds like Guam weather.
7/8/13 3:12 PM
McLeod
96 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My school has air, but I keep it set at 80. Then we have three fans. It's hot in there, but IMO not unbearable. I hate training in air conditioning. It's hard to get loosened up, etc..
7/8/13 7:34 PM
John Nic

Yesterday's open mat had a grand total of 3 including myself. Getting pretty frustrated with the piss poor turnout. People say "it's the weather..." But what about those of us that train year around and make no excuses? Phone Post
7/8/13 8:13 PM
ColeMillerATT
377 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yeah my buddy has a gym that I've seen at about 100 degrees in his gym. It's constantly above 90 in Georgia in summers. I show up and teach, I won't train gi or no gi in that crap unless I'm in camp and stuck there. Humidity is high as hell and one can barely breathe. He's had 2 locations this is the new one and its cooler than the old one. He just got a porta cool fan that you connect a hose too to help out. Taken him 7 years to get that. He really enjoys it, helps weed out non committed people. Simply angers me and I know it turns ppl away Phone Post 3.0
7/9/13 1:02 AM
Randy Marsh
168 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

microbiologynerd - Instructor left me a gym key (i know right!) to open a few days a week while hes in brazil

Class/open mat started 10 min ago... And not a soul here, just me. Was planning on just drilling today as the heat is unbearable. No ac in gym, just fans and windows

We have unbearable heat during the summer time in Oklahoma. We don't have AC at the gym either. Even with three industrial size water fans the heat still hovers around 100 °F at times. Class size definitely drops a bit. I bring a cooler with ice cold water and Gatorade. I also will take a round or two off if needed and not feel guilty about it.Unfortunately the only answer is to suck it up and make the most of it. You might have your instructor look in on the water fan/mister things. Yaaaay! Phone Post
7/9/13 6:30 PM
Iambigd2
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

microbiologynerd - Instructor left me a gym key (i know right!) to open a few days a week while hes in brazil

You from fl? Hahaha Phone Post 3.0
7/9/13 7:42 PM
microbiologynerd

nope- north of boston

7/10/13 1:29 PM
krept
87 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07/10/13 1:33 PM
As someone who lives in the desert, I'll take 115 and <20% humidity any day over that. 90 degrees (much less high 90s) with completely saturated air is soul crushing. Edit to add for some others - the ability of your body to cool down from sweat evaporating is greatly compromised by humidity. The more saturated the air is with humidity, the less the sweat evaporates, so the less heat is removed from your skin. This is why fans really help, because they remove the very fine barrier of completely saturated air from around your skin. But if the air blown from fans is saturated too, they do not help as much as they typically could. Perhaps use desiccants? ha haa

Add in potential issues with electrolytes (like diabetes), increased chance for arrhythmia and so on... prudence wins IMO. Unfortunately there are people who quite literally left it ALL on the mat; high temps and humidity warrant a lifeguard-like mentality in my opinion.
7/10/13 3:49 PM
SlapUsilly
67 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In the past I've trained in all weathers under all conditions. Nothing about being a wimp.. what's bearable to some people is completely unbearable to others. Just be happy 3 people managed to show up. Obviously you're in the minority.

I have MS now, I go into a training situation with extreme humid heat (dry heat does nothing to me) and I start losing my vision, legs will stiffen up, and hands go numb.... then it'll take me about an hour or two of drinking ice water in my car with the AC full blast to feel normal again.

LOL. Fuck all that. I can wait till the weather is better.

And thankfully, my school has AC.
7/10/13 4:54 PM
Jivetkr

im usually ok in the heat but this summer ive been struggling. New school has no AC & its been super humid here in NY recently.
7/10/13 6:26 PM
shark tank
185 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i live in south florida and it gets quite hot in our gym. some days the A/C will be on and other days people will just open the doors. we are a pretty traditional school and really only do go. i bought a Kauai kimono last summer and that has been a savior on the hot days.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.