UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Stop training gi

7/8/13 1:17 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
future_jabroni
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I live in South Florida and it's pretty rare for someone to where long sleeves so there are times when training gi that I'm kind of cynical about it. Nonetheless, there are obviously pros and cons with gi and no gi so ideally it should be cross trained, IMO.
My personal theory is that if you're not going to compete in mma then people living in hot climates should train a little more no gi, but up north it's obviously a very different story.
7/8/13 1:21 AM
Pugilist82
63 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I personally prefer nogi. That being said, I don't know what high level guys ONLY go nogi. Even in MMA, the top guys train both. OP, what fighters that are strictly nogi prove your point?
7/8/13 1:26 AM
lumberjack27
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MARC BULGER -
UNREASONABLE EXPECTATIONS -

op do you wear no clothes when you go out of the house?

Any street fight any real man takes off his shirt in America. Use bjj in a street fight you will get rampage slammed. Phone Post
Yeah don't you know bro!!!!!! take off your shirt and throwdown !!! Phone Post 3.0
7/8/13 1:42 AM
Emperor Nero
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

smoke a l in the back of the benzy
7/8/13 1:45 AM
homieCNTRL
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Do whatever Marcelo Garcia does. That's it, no debate. You can thank me later Phone Post
7/8/13 1:48 AM
Bad Karma
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I live in the Scandinavia and people wear jackets like 9-10 months out of 12. Gi is more realistic here, if one has self-defence in mind.
7/8/13 2:06 AM
kying418
46 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Aside from the technical debate- one very practical reason why someone would want to train in the gi is because usually the gi instructor has a traceable/legit lineage.

I'm willing to bet that compared to gi instructors, many no gi/mma instructors just arent as technical and good instructors as gi instructors when it comes to submission grappling.
7/8/13 2:23 PM
supersaiyan

Edited: 07/08/13 2:23 PM
just tossed my brown belt now that I know all the years training in bjj gi is pointless and useless for a street fight
7/9/13 8:52 AM
uniquetechnique
558 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

supersaiyan - just tossed my brown belt now that I know all the years training in bjj gi is pointless and useless for a street fight

Really?
7/9/13 8:56 AM
kungfugrip

what if I train in a gi because it is fucking fun? It is a great sport that adds many things that no gi doesnt have.

Believe it or not, everyone doesnt want to be a "fighter" and have to fight in the street everyday.
7/9/13 9:04 AM
JudOWNED
72 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

OP meets their naked. Phone Post
7/9/13 9:04 AM
dannybjj
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MARC BULGER -
ClearwaterFLMMA - op doesnt realize mma is not a real fight where people are wearing clothes Phone Post
Yeah trying pulling guard on concrete and I will spike your ass. It doesn't work only nerds use gi's. Phone Post
I'll bite. I'm not pulling guard. But you will be getting dumped on your head. If for some reason you ended up on top, you'd be swept, and if you think you're spiking someone, you clearly have not trained. Kinda hard to spike someone when they hook the leg. Phone Post
7/9/13 9:29 AM
armbarring
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I stopped training gi full time in 2003. Marc Laimon was right. No gi is the future. Phone Post
7/9/13 9:32 AM
armbarring
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just learn the basic self defense grip breaks with the gi then take it off in my opinion Phone Post
7/9/13 3:58 PM
Billyz

both have their value as some already mentioned training with Gi gives you some insight on how to manipulte clothing like jeans, sleeves collars etc. No gi of course is more adept for MMA.
"Street fighting" or whatever the hell you want to call it benefits from both I would think.
7/9/13 4:13 PM
MTH
134 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

But . . . I want to learn Brazilian jiu-jitsu.  As in, the actual martial art.  That includes grips, grip breaks, collarchokes, etc. 

I do no-gi about once-a-week just for the variety, but beyond that I don't terribly care about how applicable whatever it is I'm doing is to "real fights" or MMA matches.  I want to learn BJJ.  That's it. 

So I get to keep my gi, yeah?

7/10/13 10:46 AM
Unseen
107 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MTH -

But . . . I want to learn Brazilian jiu-jitsu.  As in, the actual martial art.  That includes grips, grip breaks, collarchokes, etc. 

I do no-gi about once-a-week just for the variety, but beyond that I don't terribly care about how applicable whatever it is I'm doing is to "real fights" or MMA matches.  I want to learn BJJ.  That's it. 

Again, a trained GI grappler is a better NoGi grappler than an untrained opponent which is what you will most likely run into on the street. Phone Post 3.0
7/10/13 10:57 AM
Jits_n_Hoez

My girlfriend tried to attack me today, semi-joking, semi-wanttotestmyskills, I grabbed her jacket sleeves and basic spider guard swept her. So suck my cock OP you cheekin cock faggetch. Phone Post
7/10/13 11:34 AM
MTH
134 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Unseen - 
MTH -

Again, a trained GI grappler is a better NoGi grappler than an untrained opponent which is what you will most likely run into on the street. Phone Post 3.0

Agreed.  No doubt.

I'm just providing an alternate response to the OP's troll that everybody should stop training in a gi because it "doesn't work" in a real fight. 

He can nit pick about just how much value a gi trained BJJer brings to a street fight versus a no-gi trained BJJer.  I might even agree with him to some extent--for example, if I could magically imbue my untrained brother with 10 years of either gi or no-gi training and I knew he was going to get into a street fight the following day, which should I choose?  I suppose I'd choose to magically provide him with 10 years of no-gi training. 

But when it comes to whether I must quit training with a gi (as recommended by the OP), that's irrelevant to me.  The OP can't nit pick about my own personal desires.  Those are mine exclusively.  And I want to learn gi BJJ.  It's a martial art and I want to learn it.  That's all there is to it. 

7/10/13 11:40 AM
MTH

Bellator Fan - "Again, a trained GI grappler is a better NoGi grappler than an untrained opponent which is what you will most likely run into on the street."

You will be in a FIGHT at that time and GI grappling doesn't prepare you for that. Phone Post 3.0

You have obviously never grappled with a competent grappler, whether gi or no-gi.

After many years of training boxing and some farily hard-hitting karate, I had my first grappling session a few years back with a high-level purple belt who routinely competed and placed in international gi competition.  I assure you, from the moment he grabbed me until the time I tapped out (a lot) I never once felt this man was unprepared for a fight. 

Any martial art that uses live, resisting opponents will help prepare you for a fight.  Wrestling, boxing, BJJ (gi or no-gi), kickboxing, judo, etc. 

Would you be better prepared if you cross-trained in various disciplines like an MMA fighter?  Probably.  But to say that dedicated study of any one of those disciplines would not at least help prepare you for a fight is out of touch with reality. 

7/10/13 4:59 PM
Unseen
107 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bellator Fan - "Again, a trained GI grappler is a better NoGi grappler than an untrained opponent which is what you will most likely run into on the street."

You will be in a FIGHT at that time and GI grappling doesn't prepare you for that. Phone Post 3.0

I live in San Diego where tere are BJJ schools all over.  The reason SD has so many MMA gyms is due to so many BJJ schols being here early on.  I've been involved in the MMA and grappling scene since 2000.

I train for free at at least ten differet schools here due to my writing for magazines, being involved with Total Combat and now involved with Grappling-X.  

I've also been in and scene street fights involving Gi students, no gi students and MMA fighters.  Probably over a hundred since 2000.  They all handled everyone they fought except for one instance where a fightr was hit from behind with brass knuckles.

I'm not trying to sound like a tough guy I'm just 42 and have been around.  A decent Gi guy will handle a your typically downtown ahole no problem as long as the ahole isn't 100pounds heavier or trained himself.  

I'v known Dean Lister since before he started training MMA and was just wearing the Gi under Fabio Santos.  He post here.  Ask him what happens in a street fight with a decent Gi guy.

7/10/13 5:02 PM
118 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Obvious troll is obvious! And if you do not understand the benefits of the gi when the gi comes off you really should trane more UFC bro.
7/10/13 5:05 PM
uniquetechnique
558 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07/10/13 5:05 PM

Question to Chael Sonnen on No Gi vs Gi. :)
Go to 4:12
7/10/13 5:41 PM
uniquetechnique

Unseen - 

I live in San Diego where tere are BJJ schools all over.  The reason SD has so many MMA gyms is due to so many BJJ schols being here early on.  I've been involved in the MMA and grappling scene since 2000.

I train for free at at least ten differet schools here due to my writing for magazines, being involved with Total Combat and now involved with Grappling-X.  

I've also been in and scene street fights involving Gi students, no gi students and MMA fighters.  Probably over a hundred since 2000.  They all handled everyone they fought except for one instance where a fightr was hit from behind with brass knuckles.

I'm not trying to sound like a tough guy I'm just 42 and have been around.  A decent Gi guy will handle a your typically downtown ahole no problem as long as the ahole isn't 100pounds heavier or trained himself.  

I'v known Dean Lister since before he started training MMA and was just wearing the Gi under Fabio Santos.  He post here.  Ask him what happens in a street fight with a decent Gi guy.

I'll have to disagree. I have also been around BJJ & No-Gi since 1995. I have known Dean since he was at Fabios as well and helped train him for some of his No-Gi,Gi and NHB.
Dean is more versed in No-gi and wanted Fabio to understand that No-gi training was essential but I would disagree that he would tell everyone to do just No-gi. In fact, he started his school teaching Gi in eastlake back in 99 I believe. Mixed in No-Gi and Gi. He also helped me choose the school I went to back in 2000 when I moved to Las Vegas..was very hard because of BJJ politics but he picked his Rival "Marc Laimon" because there wasn't many shcools then and he said, "if your comfortable there, then you should train there..don't let anyone tell you what to do..do what you feel is best for you" .."Marc Laimon is really good and I think if you feel good there, then you should train there". I trained at all 3 BJJ schools that was here back then and felt best with John Lewis school where Laimon was. I trained mostly No-gi there.
It really depends on the individual as I stated..If you like the Gi and feel it helps you more in your game..then stick with it. For me, like I said..it helps exercise your mind. For example: In No-Gi..You have 10x times as much moves/submissions from all positions..practically. So, now you have to think 2-3 steps ahead of your opponent. So..to me..I am playing at an advance chess game..more advanced than No-Gi.
Handles: I handle a lot of No-Gi in the same situation as gi. For Example: Holding handles on the sleeves, I would use more wrist control, Collar..I would cup the neck, vice versa. Of course you'll never pull a clock choke in No-Gi..but when you are cross training between both it is keeping your mind more aware. So now when you are training No-Gi....your mind is more open and I am able to think faster and mover from transition to transition even faster because I don't have as much arsenal than I have with the Gi.
Hard to tell it but I am sure a lot that have cross trained do understand where I am coming from.
7/10/13 5:43 PM
12SixElbow
609 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MARC BULGER -  It doesn't work in real fights. Nobody wants to put on pajamas to fight. All you people that train traditional bjj should stop and buy some mace. Phone Post

It doesn't work in real fights?

I am in my 20's, and thus far never been in a REAL FIGHT with a naked man.... It seems like the Gi is absolutely better for training REAL FIGHTS....

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.