UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Stop training gi

7/10/13 6:02 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
PeterIrl
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You'll never be a UFC champion if you train in a gi...

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/p480x480/994157_10151714173559260_484521130_n.jpg

http://www.graciemag.com/pt/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/gsp_gi.jpg

http://www3.cdn.sherdog.com/_images/pictures/20120131081343_and_training22.JPG

http://premiumbjjstuff.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/54692.jpg

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/p480x480/392576_187020428113912_717556294_n.jpg

http://www.bjjee.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/jon-668x668.jpg

Wait...what?
7/10/13 6:16 PM
AlexanderTheGOAT
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

12SixElbow -
MARC BULGER -  It doesn't work in real fights. Nobody wants to put on pajamas to fight. All you people that train traditional bjj should stop and buy some mace. Phone Post

It doesn't work in real fights?

I am in my 20's, and thus far never been in a REAL FIGHT with a naked man.... It seems like the Gi is absolutely better for training REAL FIGHTS....

That doesn't make any sense either, I've never seen anyone out wearing anything remotely close to a gi. If we're talking realistic then peopl should grapple in whatever close they are wearing that day for that season. That's just ridiculous but the naked man part is stupid as hell. Because in no gi, like wrestling, you learn body part grips. It's not like they go away when the guy puts a jacket on lol. His wrists are there and his neck etc. basically, no gi is applicable with any attire and gi is most applicable with jackets and baggy pants but one may have a difficult time with a guy in shorts and a t shirt if his game is too grip reliant. Phone Post 3.0
7/10/13 6:16 PM
AlexanderTheGOAT

Clothes not close lol Phone Post 3.0
7/10/13 6:20 PM
AlexanderTheGOAT

Lots of folks lacking basic logic around here Phone Post 3.0
7/10/13 6:23 PM
MEOWticket
248 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'll ezekiel(sp?) choke the fool with the big silly jacket/and or long sleeve.

Hmm. Phone Post
7/10/13 6:58 PM
12SixElbow
606 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

AlexanderTheGOAT - 
12SixElbow -
MARC BULGER -  It doesn't work in real fights. Nobody wants to put on pajamas to fight. All you people that train traditional bjj should stop and buy some mace. Phone Post

I am in my 20's, and thus far never been in a REAL FIGHT with a naked man.... It seems like the Gi is absolutely better for training REAL FIGHTS....

That doesn't make any sense either, I've never seen anyone out wearing anything remotely close to a gi. If we're talking realistic then peopl should grapple in whatever close they are wearing that day for that season. That's just ridiculous but the naked man part is stupid as hell. Because in no gi, like wrestling, you learn body part grips. It's not like they go away when the guy puts a jacket on lol. His wrists are there and his neck etc. basically, no gi is applicable with any attire and gi is most applicable with jackets and baggy pants but one may have a difficult time with a guy in shorts and a t shirt if his game is too grip reliant. Phone Post 3.0

Remotely close to a gi?

You mean like a sweatshirt or jacket? and pants? Ummm....

7/10/13 7:27 PM
Unseen
106 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

uniquetechnique -
Unseen - 
Bellator Fan - "Again, a trained GI grappler is a better NoGi grappler than an untrained opponent which is what you will most likely run into on the street."

You will be in a FIGHT at that time and GI grappling doesn't prepare you for that. Phone Post 3.0

I live in San Diego where tere are BJJ schools all over.  The reason SD has so many MMA gyms is due to so many BJJ schols being here early on.  I've been involved in the MMA and grappling scene since 2000.

I train for free at at least ten differet schools here due to my writing for magazines, being involved with Total Combat and now involved with Grappling-X.  

I've also been in and scene street fights involving Gi students, no gi students and MMA fighters.  Probably over a hundred since 2000.  They all handled everyone they fought except for one instance where a fightr was hit from behind with brass knuckles.

I'm not trying to sound like a tough guy I'm just 42 and have been around.  A decent Gi guy will handle a your typically downtown ahole no problem as long as the ahole isn't 100pounds heavier or trained himself.  

I'v known Dean Lister since before he started training MMA and was just wearing the Gi under Fabio Santos.  He post here.  Ask him what happens in a street fight with a decent Gi guy.

I'll have to disagree. I have also been around BJJ & No-Gi since 1995. I have known Dean since he was at Fabios as well and helped train him for some of his No-Gi,Gi and NHB.
Dean is more versed in No-gi and wanted Fabio to understand that No-gi training was essential but I would disagree that he would tell everyone to do just No-gi. In fact, he started his school teaching Gi in eastlake back in 99 I believe. Mixed in No-Gi and Gi. He also helped me choose the school I went to back in 2000 when I moved to Las Vegas..was very hard because of BJJ politics but he picked his Rival "Marc Laimon" because there wasn't many shcools then and he said, "if your comfortable there, then you should train there..don't let anyone tell you what to do..do what you feel is best for you" .."Marc Laimon is really good and I think if you feel good there, then you should train there". I trained at all 3 BJJ schools that was here back then and felt best with John Lewis school where Laimon was. I trained mostly No-gi there.
It really depends on the individual as I stated..If you like the Gi and feel it helps you more in your game..then stick with it. For me, like I said..it helps exercise your mind. For example: In No-Gi..You have 10x times as much moves/submissions from all positions..practically. So, now you have to think 2-3 steps ahead of your opponent. So..to me..I am playing at an advance chess game..more advanced than No-Gi.
Handles: I handle a lot of No-Gi in the same situation as gi. For Example: Holding handles on the sleeves, I would use more wrist control, Collar..I would cup the neck, vice versa. Of course you'll never pull a clock choke in No-Gi..but when you are cross training between both it is keeping your mind more aware. So now when you are training No-Gi....your mind is more open and I am able to think faster and mover from transition to transition even faster because I don't have as much arsenal than I have with the Gi.
Hard to tell it but I am sure a lot that have cross trained do understand where I am coming from.
Yeah I was there when Dean started his own school inside Just Fir Kicks. I actually trained with him for awhile there.

When Dean first fought Liamon Brian C had me goto Fabios. This was the first Grapplers Quest in Vegas and Brian wanted the west coast represented. My point being he went straight from GI to NoGi without issue. He lost to Liamon on points but Liamon ran out if bounds when Dean had and Achilles lock sunk.

My training is both GI and NoGi. I actually started NoGi at Roy Harris when it was still PFS. We learned leg locks at white belt as well as a lot if other cool stuff like Savate and knife and stick fighting.

I think like you said the GI makes you think more moves ahead. Also I think it's good for escapes because your opponent can hold you with so many different grips and on parts if your body that you couldn't grip in NoGi.

I don't think either is better, but to say that Gi training has no applications in a street fight just is not true. Phone Post 3.0
7/10/13 7:40 PM
sux@bjj
38 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

what if you train gi bjj because it's a fun sport, great workout and requires a lot of distinct technique?

still lame..?
7/10/13 7:45 PM
Phuckles
385 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I train both. No gi tonight, gi tomorrow. Phone Post
7/10/13 8:53 PM
TheLuckyMilkMan
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

*crumbles crackers and tosses them at op*... Have you never heard of anyone using clothing to throw someone or pull them in a certain direction or choke them during a street fight? I most definitely have. Then there are the ADCC results. There are a few great champions that do a lot of gi training.
7/10/13 9:31 PM
Animal Mother
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bellator Fan - "Again, a trained GI grappler is a better NoGi grappler than an untrained opponent which is what you will most likely run into on the street."

You will be in a FIGHT at that time and GI grappling doesn't prepare you for that. Phone Post 3.0
You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. Seriously, none. Phone Post 3.0
7/12/13 1:27 AM
supersaiyan

uniquetechnique - 
supersaiyan - just tossed my brown belt now that I know all the years training in bjj gi is pointless and useless for a street fight

Really?

yep...really just as much as I believe in this silly thread
7/12/13 1:39 AM
AlexanderTheGOAT

12SixElbow -
AlexanderTheGOAT - 
12SixElbow -

Remotely close to a gi?

You mean like a sweatshirt or jacket? and pants? Ummm....

With thick ass collars and lapels and material that's made to be pulled and not rip? And I'm glad you conceded the other points by not responding. Phone Post 3.0
7/12/13 1:42 AM
AlexanderTheGOAT

Unseen -
uniquetechnique -
Unseen - 
Bellator Fan - "Again, a trained GI grappler is a better NoGi grappler than an untrained opponent which is what you will most likely run into on the street."

I live in San Diego where tere are BJJ schools all over.  The reason SD has so many MMA gyms is due to so many BJJ schols being here early on.  I've been involved in the MMA and grappling scene since 2000.

I train for free at at least ten differet schools here due to my writing for magazines, being involved with Total Combat and now involved with Grappling-X.  

I've also been in and scene street fights involving Gi students, no gi students and MMA fighters.  Probably over a hundred since 2000.  They all handled everyone they fought except for one instance where a fightr was hit from behind with brass knuckles.

I'm not trying to sound like a tough guy I'm just 42 and have been around.  A decent Gi guy will handle a your typically downtown ahole no problem as long as the ahole isn't 100pounds heavier or trained himself.  

I'v known Dean Lister since before he started training MMA and was just wearing the Gi under Fabio Santos.  He post here.  Ask him what happens in a street fight with a decent Gi guy.

I'll have to disagree. I have also been around BJJ & No-Gi since 1995. I have known Dean since he was at Fabios as well and helped train him for some of his No-Gi,Gi and NHB.
Dean is more versed in No-gi and wanted Fabio to understand that No-gi training was essential but I would disagree that he would tell everyone to do just No-gi. In fact, he started his school teaching Gi in eastlake back in 99 I believe. Mixed in No-Gi and Gi. He also helped me choose the school I went to back in 2000 when I moved to Las Vegas..was very hard because of BJJ politics but he picked his Rival "Marc Laimon" because there wasn't many shcools then and he said, "if your comfortable there, then you should train there..don't let anyone tell you what to do..do what you feel is best for you" .."Marc Laimon is really good and I think if you feel good there, then you should train there". I trained at all 3 BJJ schools that was here back then and felt best with John Lewis school where Laimon was. I trained mostly No-gi there.
It really depends on the individual as I stated..If you like the Gi and feel it helps you more in your game..then stick with it. For me, like I said..it helps exercise your mind. For example: In No-Gi..You have 10x times as much moves/submissions from all positions..practically. So, now you have to think 2-3 steps ahead of your opponent. So..to me..I am playing at an advance chess game..more advanced than No-Gi.
Handles: I handle a lot of No-Gi in the same situation as gi. For Example: Holding handles on the sleeves, I would use more wrist control, Collar..I would cup the neck, vice versa. Of course you'll never pull a clock choke in No-Gi..but when you are cross training between both it is keeping your mind more aware. So now when you are training No-Gi....your mind is more open and I am able to think faster and mover from transition to transition even faster because I don't have as much arsenal than I have with the Gi.
Hard to tell it but I am sure a lot that have cross trained do understand where I am coming from.
Yeah I was there when Dean started his own school inside Just Fir Kicks. I actually trained with him for awhile there.

When Dean first fought Liamon Brian C had me goto Fabios. This was the first Grapplers Quest in Vegas and Brian wanted the west coast represented. My point being he went straight from GI to NoGi without issue. He lost to Liamon on points but Liamon ran out if bounds when Dean had and Achilles lock sunk.

My training is both GI and NoGi. I actually started NoGi at Roy Harris when it was still PFS. We learned leg locks at white belt as well as a lot if other cool stuff like Savate and knife and stick fighting.

I think like you said the GI makes you think more moves ahead. Also I think it's good for escapes because your opponent can hold you with so many different grips and on parts if your body that you couldn't grip in NoGi.

I don't think either is better, but to say that Gi training has no applications in a street fight just is not true. Phone Post 3.0
It does have applications but there's a lot of false security that can be gained in the reliance in a gi. You want to know body parts grips that are learned and developed in wrestling an no gi because those are ALWAYS there no matter what someone has on. Phone Post 3.0
7/12/13 6:15 PM
supersaiyan

train both ...its the ultimate way to go...plain n simple
7/13/13 9:26 AM
Animal Mother
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

How many of you geniuses in this thread have actually learned in a gi? Armbars, triangles, mount escapes, side control escapes and pins even though taught in a gi, are not gi dependent. Hell, at white belt you're even taught sweeps from guard that don't require a gi. No one here is talking about using Berimbolos in the streets. Phone Post 3.0
7/13/13 10:26 AM
Virginio

HandyDarsh - Even if you're not wearing a gi and I am, you can still get gi choked faggot Phone Post 3.0
Best post ever. Phone Post 3.0
7/13/13 10:40 AM
Beefy Wellington

Because most fights occur in a bar or night club where all the fellas are just wearing board shorts right??? Phone Post 3.0
7/13/13 10:59 AM
LyotoBundy
300 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Y'all postin' in a throll tread Phone Post
7/13/13 12:34 PM
madbanker
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Handydarsh. Glad to know you where your gi to the bars. You must have chicks all over you. Do you where it to the grocery store too? Gi is good for learning defense. Horrible for offence. If people want realistic training then wear gi pants and a t shirt or whatever u normally wear. F I live in mn and have been in 15 or so fights up here and NEVER have had a jacket on. Phone Post
7/13/13 12:34 PM
madbanker
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Auto correct wear Phone Post
7/13/13 2:39 PM
Foos
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Pugilist82 - I personally prefer nogi. That being said, I don't know what high level guys ONLY go nogi. Even in MMA, the top guys train both. OP, what fighters that are strictly nogi prove your point?

Rory MacDonald, Jake Shields, Cain Valasquez, Team Alpha Male, Jon Jones, Dan Henderson...

7/13/13 2:44 PM
Foos
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Beefy Wellington - Because most fights occur in a bar or night club where all the fellas are just wearing board shorts right??? Phone Post 3.0

No, but most people are wearing t-shirts and tight dress shirts. I don't see much applicability with Gi grips on that type of dress code.
7/13/13 2:49 PM
Purgey
54 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MARC BULGER - It doesn't work in real fights. Nobody wants to put on pajamas to fight. All you people that train traditional bjj should stop and buy some mace. Phone Post
Supposedly when it comes to submission defense the Gi is superior but you should train no-Gi for offense. Phone Post 3.0
7/13/13 3:38 PM
Animal Mother

Foos - 
Pugilist82 - I personally prefer nogi. That being said, I don't know what high level guys ONLY go nogi. Even in MMA, the top guys train both. OP, what fighters that are strictly nogi prove your point?

Rory MacDonald, Jake Shields, Cain Valasquez, Team Alpha Male, Jon Jones, Dan Henderson...

Wrong

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.