UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> DFW: Vitor has to wait, Silva getting rematch

7/7/13 11:01 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1177 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Ray Longo is now the architect of arguably the two biggest upsets in MMA history - Matt Serra over GSP, and now Chris Weidman over Anderson Silva. In UFC title bouts, the challenger agrees to an immediate rematch in the event of a win, and in the first case, GSP came back and reclaimed his belt.

What happens in the rematch will be hotly debated, but UFC president Dana White summed up the future in a single word - 'rematch'.

Silva himself did not appear focused on a rematch in post fight interviews.

“I’m thinking of going home, and then thinking of what I’m going to do after that in three or four months," said Silva. "There’s a lot of pressure in defending the title. I want to take some time.”

However, White says it is just a matter of time.

“I guarantee you there’s nothing more he wants than that rematch with Chris Weidman,” said White after the fight.

"Anderson Silva needs to go home, hang out with his family, take a week or two to shake this thing off. There are times when guys will win a fight, and they don't want to talk for three weeks. It's really part of the process, it really is, and especially a big night like tonight. And when you lose the way that he lost, there's a process for this."

“I’ve never had a problem getting Anderson to fight, he’s never turned down a fight or said, ‘I don’t want this guy. He’s been a great champion and a man of his word.”

"Anderson plays a lot of things off publicly. The guy went on this win streak because he's an amazing competitor and is an amazing talent. He's going to want to redeem himself."

White said the Superfights are off the table.

“That fight cost GSP, Jon Jones and Anderson a lot of money,” said White. “In those super-fights, Anderson was the link to both of them. Now, there you go...”

Also off the table is a fight with Mark Munoz, or one now loudly campaigned for by Vitor Belfort.

"Anderson Silva has gone undefeated since 2006 and has beat everybody and held the title," said White said. "He deserves the rematch. Chris Weidman said that before he even fought him. Vitor is just going to have to wait.

"He's not getting the rematch. He can text. He can tweet. He can write f---ing letters. He can call his congressman. He can do whatever he wants to do. He's going to have to wait. Anderson Silva is getting the rematch."

The last piece in the puzzle, Chris Weidman, is game for all comers, especially Anderson Silva.

“Whoever the UFC wants me in there with, 100-percent,” said Weidman. “I’m holding onto this belt for as long as I possibly can. I don’t care who they bring up to fight me.

"I’d rather have a rematch with Anderson Silva. That’s the first thing I said to Anderson right after the fight. I said, ‘Let’s rematch. You got cocky and put your hands down. Let’s do this again.’”

7/7/13 11:02 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
epwar
602 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

7/7/13 11:04 AM
billcosbiguez
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Silva, does not want a rematch. Belfort vs weidman is a better fight. Silva is the new fedor. A fighter who is not hungry anymore is a done fighter.
7/7/13 11:05 AM
Michael Chase

Much respect to Weidman for saying that to Silva. I really like how he's handled it all, from challenger to victory. Phone Post
7/7/13 11:07 AM
Weidman Defeats Anderson
60 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Vitor's buggin' Phone Post 3.0
7/7/13 11:09 AM
Leck Brosnar

billcosbiguez - Silva, does not want a rematch. Belfort vs weidman is a better fight. Silva is the new fedor. A fighter who is not hungry anymore is a done fighter.

Yep, the rematch will never happen and Dana will cry. I hope Fedor sent him a ":)" on twitter today
7/7/13 11:10 AM
billcosbiguez

we need spider vs fedor.
7/7/13 11:11 AM
Entreri

Give Vitor a chance, he is very hungry.

When GSP lost to Serra, he had to make his way up again and that was clearly a fluke loss.

Weidman is the real deal.
shaqitup
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

why doesn't he just do vitor vs weidman in 3-4 months, stack an end of the year card and let anderson chill in brazil.

Smoldy
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Silva is, and always will be the GOAT and my personal fav. BUT....I loved watching him lose! That was awesome Phone Post
7/7/13 11:14 AM
Entreri

Cannot be always, Jones goes to HW and wins the title, certainly he is the undisputed GOAT.

Say in 10,20..etc years and someone does even better...

Things happen.

I would say there are 4 GOAT contenders and anyone's pick as good as anyone else: GSP, Silva, Fedor and Jones.
7/7/13 11:19 AM
MDKSDMF
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

let weidman defend the title against some one other than a rematch. get over the rematch bs. silva doesnt want one right now, im sure when he gets the eye of the tiger back he will call for one
7/7/13 11:20 AM
KingD87
101 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Make Weidman defend his belt against Vitor and have the winner fight Anderson next year Phone Post 3.0
7/7/13 11:25 AM
dabigchet

obviously the rematch has to happen. Anderson and Georges have earned that. no question.

people who compare this loss to the fedor :) tweet don't understand fight promotion. fedor's value dropped tremendously with that loss. Vadim had been a PITA to Dana and Strikeforce was a rival company.

in this case, there is no doubt that the rematch will do MUCH better business than the first fight or a hypothetical Anderson/vitor rematch. From a fight promoting standpoint, the Anderson loss is a :) for zuffa as well. Phone Post 3.0
7/7/13 11:28 AM
billcosbiguez

dabigchet - obviously the rematch has to happen. Anderson and Georges have earned that. no question.

people who compare this loss to the fedor :) tweet don't understand fight promotion. fedor's value dropped tremendously with that loss. Vadim had been a PITA to Dana and Strikeforce was a rival company.

in this case, there is no doubt that the rematch will do MUCH better business than the first fight or a hypothetical Anderson/vitor rematch. From a fight promoting standpoint, the Anderson loss is a :) for zuffa as well. Phone Post 3.0

I don't care about the business/promotional side of mma. I care about interesting fights. there is nothing interesting about a silva vs Weidman rematch.
7/7/13 11:32 AM
mcq
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Seems pretty clear that regardless of what the fighters involved want DFW wants a AS-CW rematch.
7/7/13 11:32 AM
Dugs95

NuclearRelapse -
Leck Brosnar -
billcosbiguez - Silva, does not want a rematch. Belfort vs weidman is a better fight. Silva is the new fedor. A fighter who is not hungry anymore is a done fighter.

Yep, the rematch will never happen and Dana will cry. I hope Fedor sent him a ":)" on twitter today
Lol @ fedor being on Twitter. Phone Post
He is on twitter!!! It's in Russian tho lol Phone Post 3.0
7/7/13 11:39 AM
Michael Chase

If anyone deserves a rematch based on resume, it's Silva, but I have a hard time accepting an immediate rematch after a devastating knockout for anyone, even the GOAT. Phone Post
7/7/13 11:41 AM
theoutsiders
201 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Michael Chase - Much respect to Weidman for saying that to Silva. I really like how he's handled it all, from challenger to victory. Phone Post
Me too Phone Post 3.0
7/7/13 11:43 AM
tubafor

I don't think most people would agree with the rematch not being interesting. Watching the new kid knock out the long time champ after the champ clowns around? Just about everybody with a pulse is going to tune in to see how Silva comes back and how serious he is.
7/7/13 11:45 AM
B_Goetz

"Ray Longo is now the architect of arguably the two biggest upsets in MMA history - Matt Serra over GSP, and now Chris Weidman over Anderson Silva."

Weidman was only a +200 underdog. It wasn't a big upset.
7/7/13 11:49 AM
Michael Chase

tubafor - I don't think most people would agree with the rematch not being interesting. Watching the new kid knock out the long time champ after the champ clowns around? Just about everybody with a pulse is going to tune in to see how Silva comes back and how serious he is.
Interesting has nothing to do with it. People need to pick a side; stick to your guns or stop complaining about guys getting rematches.

I have always held the stance that, if the finish/decision is clearly controversial (meaning not just a few people bitching on the internet), then a rematch is warranted. Any other case = he lost... and I've always been and still am a big fan of Silva's. Phone Post
7/7/13 11:51 AM
MisterMr
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

KingD87 - Make Weidman defend his belt against Vitor and have the winner fight Anderson next year Phone Post 3.0

Dana is afraid Weidman will lose to TRT Belfort and the big money rematch fight will go away.
7/7/13 11:51 AM
crumbs

Anderson haters, " weidman dominated the first round 10-9 ! bro , was winning anyways, had nothing to do with Anderson being cocky "

Chris weidman " Let’s rematch. You got cocky and put your hands down. Let’s do this again.’”

Hmmm, wonder who I should believe here.

Chris fucken weidman, not only a deserving champion, but humble and knows not to " feel " him Self too much, knows he didn't dominate Silva, wants to prove he can, not to us but to him self.
7/7/13 11:53 AM
Zaph
159 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Michael Chase - Much respect to Weidman for saying that to Silva. I really like how he's handled it all, from challenger to victory. Phone Post
In fairness, comments made by fighters immediately after a loss should be taken with a grain of salt. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.