UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> My alternate take on the Silva KO

7/7/13 2:42 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Bisping decisioned my SN
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Naderhood - 

I'd like to hear some opinions on these points. Not saying I'm 100% correct, this is just what I think after applying my own understanding of striking.

VTFU. I think your assessment is spot on. I agree 100%

7/7/13 2:44 PM
bruised
309 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Todd Lally - that was the worst thing a stand up fighter could do! not even armature boxers square up and pull there head back with there chin exposed! Anderson had no were to go if Chris just kept moving forward with punches! (chin was out there to get hit)

Horrible technique shown by Silva! But, sometimes people believe there own hype!

This guy could never box ROY JR!!!!!!!!!!!!

SORRY MMA GUYS.

But what do I know?
I think there was more at play than just proper striking stance. As many others have noted, a more square stance and lower hands helps stop the takedown, which Wridman proved in round one was a threat.

Comparing the two different sports based on defense of an element that doesn't exist in boxing seems a bit shortsighted. Phone Post 3.0
7/7/13 2:44 PM
6ULDV8
53 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

When I was watching this fight and jumping around like a hopped maniac on crack, a few fucking idiots asked me to sit down.

Yeah right.  

I cannot fucking believe I was right for once in my life (in MMA matters).

7/7/13 2:45 PM
FCTV808
309 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

the key was this!

(and maybe a little about what you said) ;)

7/7/13 2:45 PM
NEWSFLASH
51 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Agree 100% with OP.

To add to it, Weidman trained for this exact thing. Compare his footwork during Anderson's dodges to Forrest and others.

To the "fixed" issue, no way. Although I don't think Anderson cared that much if he lost. He seemed to be prepared for it as his post-fight interview reveals. That kind of pressure had to be huge. Seemed relieved after it was over.

I think we'll still see amazing fights from him, including the super-fights. I didn't want to see him fight JBJ before cuz I didn't want to see him lose. Well now that's a mute point. Would love to see him fight catchweight with JBJ and GSP back-to-back now, and maybe Diaz too
7/7/13 2:49 PM
Stea1th

Jack slack didn't call it, however he did touch on it, but his main point was body work and dirty boxing which weidman didn't really do. 

"Boxers often double or even triple up the same hand mid-combination, which makes it difficult for the defender to turn side to side as Silva does.

Very few opponents have doubled up punches from one hand against Silva. I am not saying that doubling up would allow a fighter to knock Silva out—there isn't a simple answer to an iron chin. However, there is a reason why elite boxers rarely roll with every punch as effectively as Silva does; boxers are not as predictable and one-note in their offence."

7/7/13 2:54 PM
mestregruber
135 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Naderhood - 
mestregruber - Almost exactly what I wrote in the thread I created - the backfist didn't land with any power but it changed up the rhythm of the combo so the left hand landed clean. It looked really strange but was effective in confusing Silva's timing.

Not trying to steal thunder or claim to be the only one who thinks this, there was just WAY too many threads to search them all and make sure I wasnt rehashing what someone else already said.

Didn't mean to imply anything. It was a roundabout way of saying I agree with what you wrote. And I actually agree with you on submissions not being Anderson's weakness; what I was saying is many people have said it is. A guy who got submitted a couple of times years ago and hasn't really been close to it since doesn't have weak sub defense, IMO.
7/7/13 2:59 PM
Doc T
54 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I really think that first punch hurt him, it looked like it landed flush and hard. Phone Post 3.0
7/7/13 3:21 PM
ranier wolfcastle
1174 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

pretty good take, nader

7/7/13 3:27 PM
Jons Forsberg

Naderhood - 

I'm a counter puncher as well, although not nearly as good as Silva, obviously. I want to offer a different take on the Silva/Weidman fight.

1. As a counter puncher, your opponent has to throw hands in order for you to slip and counter. That much is obvious. The problem for Silva is that he has such a dominant, fear inducing aura that guys get too hesitant to attack so he has nothing to counter. I think thats why he taunts and people. He needs them to get annoyed/pissed enough to come after him. A good example of that would be Rich Franklin and another good one would be Forrest.  Personally, how I do this is by coming forward aggressively and making my opponent throw hands while moving backward. AS likes to use his footwork and low hands to lull a guy in and then reach out with his long arms and catch them.

2. AS def felt how good Weidman was on the ground. NOBODY expected Weidman to actually chase subs on him. I'm sure most (like me) felt he would get into halfguard and pound away like Chael did and be happy to stay there. I think AS was a little shaken by Weidman having the confidence to go from a very Dominant position and spin for the knee bar. I dont care who you are, you have to be very confident to give up a position like that in an MMA fight to look for the knee bar.

3. Weidman was equally frustrated by Silva's taunting and him slipping his punches. I think Silva was overcompensating for the fact that he was a bit nervous of Weidman's ground game and thats why he was over the top with the taunting at the end of the first Rd trying to get Weidman to get too aggressive so he could counter him.

4. I think the key thing to the KO was the backfist Weidman threw after the missed overhand right. I dont think Silva was expecting it and it threw off his timing. I think he was expecting the typical 3-2-3 and was waiting to slip the last hook but Weidman threw the backfist and popped him, while throwing the backfist he closed the distance enough that when he threw the left hook again, Silva wasnt as far away as he thought he was and he got caught.

great points.
7/7/13 4:39 PM
Randy Marsh
168 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

7/7/13 5:10 PM
KatieCasimir
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Il Duce - I'd also like to contribute that I think the 2nd left hook, the one that caught him while he was mock stanky legging the first left, actually hurt him a little. I don't think he expected and absorbed that one well either. Phone Post 3.0

Yep.  You always have to question the "fake wobble" after a clean shot, especially if there's no delay between the  punch and the wobble.  I think the less secure Silva felt the more he played his usual antics... kinda started to look desperate.

7/7/13 5:37 PM
6ULDV8
53 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I really think this was AS's fight to win or lose, but if he decided Weidman was though enough, he'd let him have it.

So he did.  Holy shitfuck pisscock what a night of fights!  Every fucking fight was awasome!

Oh, and I've never been right in my life, but I hit this one right on the head.

Oh Yes I Did!

7/7/13 5:38 PM
6ULDV8

*tough enough*

7/7/13 5:52 PM
Wasa-B
334 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07/07/13 5:52 PM
Looking at that GIF again, Anderson never squatted in a horse stance that close to anyone. Either way, it was only a matter of time, I think Andy was hurt from the first round and also gassed.
7/7/13 5:57 PM
Michael Chase

I love how everyone is focusing on the talk of "fix" and Silva defeating himself while ignoring what Weidman did. The whole backfist thing was brilliant and I'm sure it wasn't by accident. Phone Post
7/7/13 6:14 PM
zazy
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

maybe he lost his motivation... he is 38 yrs old , has many millions , want to spend more time with his family and can make money only from comercials and other stuff
7/7/13 9:30 PM
Sadyv

Wasa-B - Looking at that GIF again, Anderson never squatted in a horse stance that close to anyone. Either way, it was only a matter of time, I think Andy was hurt from the first round and also gassed.

Agreed with Nader's points, and that Silva was hurt in the first round and getting desperate.

I was thinking "WTF?" to myself when Rogan saying Weidman was not landing anything clean on Silva with his GnP in the first. The punches weren't huge, Fedor like bombs, but they were landing cleanly and solidly. I'll have to assume Joe wasn't watching the monitor when he was calling that.
7/7/13 9:40 PM
HeHitsMeBecauseHeLovesMe

I agree, that backfist definitely enabled him to close the distance just enough to land the last punch. Phone Post
7/7/13 9:54 PM
Eatin Applesauce

your spot on imo voted up
7/7/13 10:40 PM
Joeymarvelous
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It looked like Anderson's feet were the real issue. He's completely squared up with his feet parallel, and therefore has nowhere to lean back to, yet tried to lean back anyway and caught a good one. Phone Post
7/7/13 10:50 PM
vindixion
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Silva pretending to drop is what did him in. Dropping his weight down like that caused him to plant his feat heavily. Weidman jumped on him while his feet were planted and silva started trying to dodge punches like he normally does except because of the weight drop couldnt adjust his footing while doing it and after a couple bobs silva is way off balance. Weidman did a great job to kept throwing which denied silva a chance to correct his feet. Finally silva leans way back to avoid a punch (something he is normally great at) but because is feel are wrong he cant pull back far enough to get out of range and gets caught at the end of the punch.

Ordinarily Silva almost never plants his feet. His footwork is great. it's the reason he gets away with clowning guys. even when he's doing stupid stuff to mess with people he never compromises his footwork, but he did last night and Weidman jumped on it.

weidman did a great job of seizing the opportunity and keeping the pressure on when silva put himself in a bad position.
7/7/13 10:57 PM
Naderhood
933 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

vindixion - Silva pretending to drop is what did him in. Dropping his weight down like that caused him to plant his feat heavily. Weidman jumped on him while his feet were planted and silva started trying to dodge punches like he normally does except because of the weight drop couldnt adjust his footing while doing it and after a couple bobs silva is way off balance. Weidman did a great job to kept throwing which denied silva a chance to correct his feet. Finally silva leans way back to avoid a punch (something he is normally great at) but because is feel are wrong he cant pull back far enough to get out of range and gets caught at the end of the punch.

Ordinarily Silva almost never plants his feet. His footwork is great. it's the reason he gets away with clowning guys. even when he's doing stupid stuff to mess with people he never compromises his footwork, but he did last night and Weidman jumped on it.

weidman did a great job of seizing the opportunity and keeping the pressure on when silva put himself in a bad position.
Good call, I don't think AS thought Weidman would come in after him Phone Post 3.0
7/7/13 11:00 PM
EKPOGI
60 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07/07/13 11:00 PM
NEWSFLASH -
I think we'll still see amazing fights from him, including the super-fights. I didn't want to see him fight JBJ before cuz I didn't want to see him lose. Well now that's a mute point. Would love to see him fight catchweight with JBJ and GSP back-to-back now, and maybe Diaz too

this^

7/8/13 6:53 PM
Death and Taxes
1605 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I appreciate the analysis

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.