UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> My alternate take on the Silva KO

7/8/13 7:03 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
jmb73
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I kept on replaying it. His legs wobble right when Weidman threw the back hand. Clearly he was surprised. Phone Post 3.0
7/8/13 7:17 PM
SKARHEAD
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

tt
7/8/13 7:38 PM
enbanc
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Why was Anderson able to matrix Vitor's punches (who also doubled up) but not Weidman's?
7/8/13 10:22 PM
Naderhood
800 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

enbanc - Why was Anderson able to matrix Vitor's punches (who also doubled up) but not Weidman's?
I would have to rewatch it but I'd be willing to guess he didn't Have his feet planted like hi did when Weidman caught him Phone Post 3.0
7/8/13 10:58 PM
yabadaba
130 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Vitor threw two very quick lefts and then backed away. After the second left Anderson was standing with his feet planted leaning back. Rogan's comment was "outstanding head movement by Anderson".

https://vimeo.com/22345665

Weidman threw two (not-so-quick) lefts, two rights and then a left. The second right was more a fake-out than a real punch and it allowed him to step forward with his left foot so that he was standing right in front of Anderson. The fake punch allowed Weidman to get too close and Anderson (who was already leaning back as far as he could) had nowhere to go.

7/8/13 11:06 PM
yabadaba
130 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1695987-ufc-162-how-chris-weidman-killed-the-king

7/8/13 11:07 PM
Naderhood
800 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think if Vitor pressed forward he would have possibly caught him but he disengaged. Vitor also throws very straight punches, generally. Like when he rushed forward on Wanderlei. Straight punches are much easier to slip than a punch with an arc like the hook that Weidman caught him with. Also, that backfist, like I mentioned earlier, frozen Silva as he had to lean back to avoid it, which put his weight back on his heels. So when Weidman stepped forward with the backfist and followed or with the hook, Silva didn't have the proper balance to avoid it and could only lean back a little farther. Because Weidman stepped forward with the backfist he took away any remaining space for Silva to lean out of range and got caught with the hook. Really good technique by Weidman IMO. Phone Post 3.0
7/8/13 11:29 PM
Caleb Alexander Von Reuter
170 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good to see not everyone here is an ignorant jackass. Phone Post 3.0
7/8/13 11:37 PM
Wasa-B
286 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

yabadaba - 

Vitor threw two very quick lefts and then backed away. After the second left Anderson was standing with his feet planted leaning back. Rogan's comment was "outstanding head movement by Anderson".

https://vimeo.com/22345665

Weidman threw two (not-so-quick) lefts, two rights and then a left. The second right was more a fake-out than a real punch and it allowed him to step forward with his left foot so that he was standing right in front of Anderson. The fake punch allowed Weidman to get too close and Anderson (who was already leaning back as far as he could) had nowhere to go.

The Weidman fight went on longer and Weidman got a longer feel for the range and Andy's movement. I dont think Anderson's footwork and reflexes were in peak form any more either. He didnt look good all fight imo. Nothing he threw landed and he looked a little sloppier. Inevitable. And Weidman kept on going for it.

Anderson declined, Weidman rose.
7/8/13 11:41 PM
Naderhood

^good point on Weidman having time to get a sense of Andy's range. Phone Post 3.0
7/8/13 11:41 PM
REDRUM_NYC

Good stuff Except #2  (anyone who knows Weidman's game knows HE WILL NEVER EVER EVER sit in someone's guard, he looks to pass right away, always and takes risks, IE giving up top control to shoot for the leg lock/heel hook)

7/8/13 11:49 PM
SgtJustinTeplitz
205 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I agree with many of your thoughts Nader. The spinning back fist threw Anderson off.

Voted up!

TTT
7/9/13 8:56 AM
Godmode
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks for the prespective in the 4th point. Well put!
7/9/13 9:57 AM
BrCutter
191 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jeff, great analysis and I think you're spot on. Lol, the only time I've ever spun back for that kneebar was in a no time limits sub grappling match! I couldn't imagine doing that in even an ammy mma fight without a lot of confidence. I honestly thought the fight was over. Chris could have cranked that kneebar the second he got it and crushed AS's knee. Watch that part over. He's way above the knee, legs lined up, and he's got a grip on it to hyperextend it. There's no time in the gym that you 100 % that. IMHO, kneebar could have finished. Phone Post
7/9/13 10:02 AM
GrayKickass
132 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

SgtJustinTeplitz - I agree with many of your thoughts Nader. The spinning back fist threw Anderson off.

Voted up!

TTT
I think it was just a regular backfist :p Phone Post
7/9/13 10:19 AM
morotetsuke

Punches is bunches while keeping his weight balanced
7/9/13 10:44 AM
Rudi

In Phone Post
7/9/13 11:05 AM
Kneeblock
77 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good analysis Nader. 

7/9/13 11:38 AM
Yussarian
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

jessethekid -  Logic, you have it. Phone Post

7/9/13 11:50 AM
SQUEEZIE

EKPOGI - 
NEWSFLASH -
I think we'll still see amazing fights from him, including the super-fights. I didn't want to see him fight JBJ before cuz I didn't want to see him lose. Well now that's a mute point. Would love to see him fight catchweight with JBJ and GSP back-to-back now, and maybe Diaz too

this^

lol.no wants that shit any more.jbj could'nt care less about that now...its point less and he has absolutely nothing to gain what so ever now.those fights went down with andy that night...glad to see you had confidence in him beating jbj before that too.you fucking guys are nuts.
7/9/13 11:52 AM
Lebronfloppedhisnutsonmyface
128 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nice break down and follow ups Nader.

And a good point from vindix as well.

Someone mentioned the decline of AS...
I disagree.
Weidman certainly challenged him on the ground more than anyone since Hendo. And as mentioned his footwork was not where it needed to be at the crucial moment.
But Silva stayed composed on the ground, fought through the sub attempts and escaped well.
Once they stood up he stuffed the TD attempts and looked like he had Weidman dialed in like so many former opponents.
2nd round Weidman looked slow by comparison.

The lethal combination was AS over-clowning mixed with CW's preparation and relentlessness.
Great job by Weidman for sure, but I can't help feeling that had Silva taken him a little more seriously it wouldn't have gone down like that.
Lucky punch? NO.
But I doubt AS tries the fakey-wobble in a rematch Phone Post 3.0
7/9/13 11:57 AM
NotSomeTourist
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I just posted this on another thread but I think I will repost it here as well, as it echoes your thoughts Nader. 

I saw it very differently. What I saw was Chris take Anderson down with relative ease and control him easily on the ground, land solid punches and going for that kneebar then transitioning to the heeo hook. Then, after escaping the submission attempt, Anderson began to goad Chris into striking with him. I think Chris knew what was happening the whole time, like he said in the post-fight interview. In case you didn't notice, Chris' next two TD attempts, in the first and the second, were incrdeibly telegraphed and from way far out, do you honestly think a two time all american in wrestling and someone with the jiu jitsu he possesses would be that bad at taking someone down? The first takedown was flawless. But something else that I wish more people noticed was that  on the second TD attempt in the first, Anderson had a perfect Thai clench agfainst the fence, something he favours (thiunk Hendo, Franklin, Rivera) and uses to land devastating knees strikes. He didn't throw a single knee from that position, this is something that surprised the fuck out of me and basically proved to me that he was going to do anything to keep this standing. Chris knew that. When Anderson put his back against the cage like he did against Bonnar, Chris didn't wait for anything and he didn't hesitate and threw a solid jab-straight combo. He knew anderson was going to try and fuck up his timing by doingf all his normal stuff, stuff that has been successful. But Chris had the perfect gameplan counter that: never stop moving forwaerd. When Anderson drops his hands, he doesn't move laterally, it's always backwards. When Chris knocked him out, it was because he was stepping forward the whole time as Anderson moved straight back. What Anderson didn't expect was a backhand jab, which threw off his timing and forced to move unnaturally and set up the left hook perfectly.

As a fan of both guys, I really didn't care who won. I just wanted to see Chris perform to his best abilities and I wanted Anderson to do the same. I think they both did and Chris was the smarter fighter and the better fighter on the night. I think that anyone trying to say this or that about either of then is silly. Chris won, Anderson lost. Whether it was because Anderson took him too lightly (I don't think he did) or wasn't serious is a non issue. Anderson fought how he did, Chris fought how he did, and it resulted in a new Middleweight Champion.

7/9/13 1:20 PM
Wasa-B
286 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

NotSomeTourist - 

I just posted this on another thread but I think I will repost it here as well, as it echoes your thoughts Nader. 

I saw it very differently. What I saw was Chris take Anderson down with relative ease and control him easily on the ground, land solid punches and going for that kneebar then transitioning to the heeo hook. Then, after escaping the submission attempt, Anderson began to goad Chris into striking with him. I think Chris knew what was happening the whole time, like he said in the post-fight interview. In case you didn't notice, Chris' next two TD attempts, in the first and the second, were incrdeibly telegraphed and from way far out, do you honestly think a two time all american in wrestling and someone with the jiu jitsu he possesses would be that bad at taking someone down? The first takedown was flawless. But something else that I wish more people noticed was that  on the second TD attempt in the first, Anderson had a perfect Thai clench agfainst the fence, something he favours (thiunk Hendo, Franklin, Rivera) and uses to land devastating knees strikes. He didn't throw a single knee from that position, this is something that surprised the fuck out of me and basically proved to me that he was going to do anything to keep this standing. Chris knew that. When Anderson put his back against the cage like he did against Bonnar, Chris didn't wait for anything and he didn't hesitate and threw a solid jab-straight combo. He knew anderson was going to try and fuck up his timing by doingf all his normal stuff, stuff that has been successful. But Chris had the perfect gameplan counter that: never stop moving forwaerd. When Anderson drops his hands, he doesn't move laterally, it's always backwards. When Chris knocked him out, it was because he was stepping forward the whole time as Anderson moved straight back. What Anderson didn't expect was a backhand jab, which threw off his timing and forced to move unnaturally and set up the left hook perfectly.

As a fan of both guys, I really didn't care who won. I just wanted to see Chris perform to his best abilities and I wanted Anderson to do the same. I think they both did and Chris was the smarter fighter and the better fighter on the night. I think that anyone trying to say this or that about either of then is silly. Chris won, Anderson lost. Whether it was because Anderson took him too lightly (I don't think he did) or wasn't serious is a non issue. Anderson fought how he did, Chris fought how he did, and it resulted in a new Middleweight Champion.

Yup.

People always get hung up on the why or how and it can be speculated or debated to death.

The what is the bottom line and there is no debate on what happened at the end of the day.
7/9/13 1:23 PM
Naderhood

Those are some good points. I'm wondering if AS didnt throw knees because he wanted to avoid being taken down, especially with his back to the cage? If he lands the knee it's fine but Chris could also catch one and bring the fight back to the ground. I think you're right about AS not wanting anything to do with Chris on the ground. Phone Post 3.0
7/9/13 8:34 PM
enbanc

very interesting, thanks

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.