UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> DFW: Fighters should be cheap motherf@$%ers

7/7/13 4:04 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1295 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

in 2009 Sports Illustrated magazine estimated that 78% of NFL players are bankrupt or facing serious financial stress within two years of ending their playing careers, and that 60% of NBA players are broke within five years of retiring.

The fight game can be far worse, with Mike Tyson famously making $300,000,000, and ending up with nothing but love.

UFC president Dana White has a simple message for fighters.

“This isn't a long-term f---ing job," said White. "You don't come into the UFC thinking, man, I'm going to stay here until I'm 65 and then I'm going to retire, get a pension and do this, that and the other. This is a f---ing short-term gig.”

“You have a window of opportunity that's about this big, if you're lucky. If you're talented enough, and you get in there and you do as many amazing things as you can in front of as many people as you can and make as much money as you can, and enough contacts and this and that, so when that inevitable day that will finally come when it’s over you put yourself in a great position where you can move on and do better things, and if you figure it out right, you don't ever have to work again. Who the f---k on this planet doesn't understand that?”

“Forrest Griffin always says this: 'go out and fight like you, but go to the bank like me.' Which means he's cheap as hell. Forrest Griffin is still wearing the jacket he wore in Season 1 of The Ultimate Fighter. He's still driving a Scion. Scion is going to do a commercial about how many miles this kid has on his car, and it’s still running.

"Forrest Griffin is a cheap motherf---er, and that's the way you have to be in this business. Save your money, put it away, do the right things with your money, because this sport, your time can be over any minute. This isn't some long-term gig.”

Read entire article...

7/7/13 4:07 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
lgi
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://youtu.be/DicYF4RQBnU
7/7/13 4:10 PM
Entreri

The fact that most athletes can't manage their finances to save their lives = 90%+ broke after a few years, even those who earned 100's OF MILLIONS OF DOLLARS.
7/7/13 4:13 PM
Refuse to Lose
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sometimes the truth hurts! Money management is hard for anyone. I'm 21 work a part time job and still have a hard time blowing money on things I don't need. I remember seeing Pettis do an interview saying he spent 15 grand on a watch! If your a fighter it has to be hard saving money if your the type who wants to live a flashy lifestyle. Obviously Pettis and other fighters plan on making it to the top where there making millions but it won't pan out that way for the majority of fighters.

I myself see the importance of budgeting last night I decided to make a list of all my expenses and created a smarter spending plan that way I can kill my spending problem while it's still in the infant stages. They say the more money you make the more money you spend and I plan on making big money in my lifetime so I definitely see the truth in what Dana says... Saving is imperative for any person regardless of career but especially for athletes that compete in a sport where your one injury away from never competing again. Phone Post
7/7/13 4:19 PM
195 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

dana need not worry, 90 to 99 % will never make big money in the ufc.
7/7/13 4:20 PM
MEOWticket
456 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TRUE STORY, BRO Phone Post
7/7/13 4:20 PM
epwar
539 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

12 - dana need not worry, 90 to 99 % will never make big money in the ufc.

This.

7/7/13 4:21 PM
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dana White is 100% correct Phone Post 3.0
7/7/13 4:27 PM
Vaginal Tear
125 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dana, fighters ARE cheap motherfuckers. Phone Post 3.0
7/7/13 4:32 PM
DevilsAdvocate
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

How many fighters have made enough money to retire from mma? Like 7? Phone Post
7/7/13 4:32 PM
Naderhood
948 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I know several guys who fight or have fought in the UFC who have had the same 16oz gloves for YEARS. Their gloves are fucking tattered but still functional so they keep them. Thats the correct mentality.

7/7/13 4:34 PM
dannyapodaca
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Because im not going to pay you shit you should be a cheap motherfucker. Phone Post
7/7/13 4:36 PM
ChaosOverkill
743 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Can't expect people who focus on sports to have a lick of economic sense or worldly perspective, most have been caudled their entire lives into thinking they can do no wrong.

Except for fighters now, most are UNDERPAID and have been since it started and most are from countries and situations where they don't have much teo begin with so they actually have the right perspective. It's the North America yuppie kids and gangster types that have no idea the real value of money because one grows up priviledged and the other might have a mercedes by 16 by way of a good drug deal or his gang taking out a rival.

Trust me south AMericans KNOW the value of money.

7/7/13 4:39 PM
GladiatorGannon
300 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Some day this will be a high paying sport. Until that happens, people have got to be realistic. The leaner you live, the more able you are to focus on training.
7/7/13 4:44 PM
Pessimist_Pete

Randy Couture Phone Post 3.0
7/7/13 4:47 PM
CindyO

Naderhood - 

I know several guys who fight or have fought in the UFC who have had the same 16oz gloves for YEARS. Their gloves are fucking tattered but still functional so they keep them. Thats the correct mentality.

Cindy

7/7/13 4:58 PM
xakx

Dana should stop being cheap and pay fighters more instead of buying big rims for his escalade
7/7/13 5:04 PM
Immaculata
72 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07/07/13 5:10 PM
TITAN Combat/TITAN Grappling Open, Promoter
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CCkQtwIwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D9S2f76Kjx0c&ei=dNfZUa_VHMnJyQG55IGQAg&usg=AFQjCNFrbGU_HTBoathgRqw7dA5bjFPT7A&bvm=bv.48705608,d.aWc
7/7/13 5:12 PM
quick
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Broke NFL also get a pension. The fighters are really doing themselves a huge disservice by not unionizing.
7/7/13 5:14 PM
itskrisdude
190 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

dannyapodaca -  Because im not going to pay you shit you should be a cheap motherfucker. Phone Post

Accurate translation.
7/7/13 5:33 PM
HITMAN DAN DIAZ
145 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://espn.go.com/30for30/film?page=broke

should be manditory for every pro athlete to watch this every month for a year straight. 

7/7/13 5:38 PM
rockwell
88 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

dannyapodaca -  Because im not going to pay you shit you should be a cheap motherfucker. Phone Post

Yup
7/7/13 5:45 PM
Gomrad
81 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ChaosOverkill -

Can't expect people who focus on sports to have a lick of economic sense or worldly perspective, most have been caudled their entire lives into thinking they can do no wrong.

Except for fighters now, most are UNDERPAID and have been since it started and most are from countries and situations where they don't have much teo begin with so they actually have the right perspective. It's the North America yuppie kids and gangster types that have no idea the real value of money because one grows up priviledged and the other might have a mercedes by 16 by way of a good drug deal or his gang taking out a rival.

Trust me south AMericans KNOW the value of money.

I remember the first time I played Grand Theft Auto...

"might have a mercedes by 16 by way of a good drug deal or his gang taking out a rival." Phone Post 3.0
7/7/13 6:12 PM
Phisher

Edited: 07/07/13 6:46 PM
circa305 - LOL at nearly 80% of NFL players are bankrupt within 2 years. Those guys spending a LOT of $$$

I don't know why people are so incredulous about this stat. The average NFL career is like 19-20 games. The vast majority of guys who make it to the league only make a couple hundred grand after taxes and all other expenses.

7/7/13 6:24 PM
BackAndLeft
52 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I blame rap music. I'm trying to stop listening to it. YOLO Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.