UnderGround Forums

BJJGround Forum >> Who gives the best seminar???

7/8/13 4:45 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
omoplautistic
38 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I did a Roy Harris seminar, very detailed. I liked the numbered top positions.

Matt Thornton runs a very detailed seminar, but two days at 6-7 hours a day, it all ran together. Also I tapped to panic and claustrophobia when I rolled with him, so there's that.

Cobrinha was very cool, lots of neat stuff id never seen before, and lots of great details. Great private as well. He was wearing thermal underwear the whole time and I wanted to quit jiu jitsu after rolling with him.

Demian Maia put on a TERRIBLE seminar a Few months ago. Terrible. Dude just didnt care. While people were working on what he'd shown (mostly rehashed from his DVD sets) he'd walk around looking at the pictures on the wall and hitting the punching bags. Really disappointing.

And as I mentioned Gui's seminar was gold start to finish. Also wanted to quit after rolling with him. Not sure I've recovered yet. :)

I've got Caio terra coming up in a couple weeks. Phone Post 3.0
7/8/13 5:05 PM
dpro2716
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Crazy to hear that about Maia.  I have heard/read that he puts on a great seminar.  Granted they had the seminar with him a few years back before he really got into the UFC.

7/8/13 6:21 PM
indysjiujitsu
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Shawn Williams, he breaks everything down, make jiujitsu fun and ez. Phone Post 3.0
7/8/13 6:51 PM
omoplautistic
38 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

dpro2716 -

Crazy to hear that about Maia.  I have heard/read that he puts on a great seminar.  Granted they had the seminar with him a few years back before he really got into the UFC.

Ya I was surprised. It was like he couldn't be bothered. Sad sad Phone Post 3.0
7/8/13 7:07 PM
angrypirate
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Marcelo Garcia. 2007, a few months after ADCC. Hands down THE nicest guy in BJJ. Taught his arm drag and back game, still use the stuff from that seminar. His story of the match with Ricco Rodriguez was priceless!
7/8/13 7:16 PM
ChickenSalad
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm sure even guys that normally put on great seminars have off days.

I went to a two-day (gi/no-gi) seminar with Maia and it was really well structured and full of good stuff, no complains although he didn't roll with anyone afterwards.

Bravo put on one of the best 'game-changing' seminars I've ever been too maybe five years ago? Totally changed my half-guard game instantly. I also like his teaching style a lot.

Every SBG seminar I've been to has been fantastic, but with my broken-ass body I have a hard time with all the drilling/rolling. For young guys/girls they would be perfect. Travis Davison in particular put on a great seminar with a totally connected set of techniques...unfortunately my body could only handle half the day.

I also had a miserable time rolling with Thornton. I seriously thought about quitting bjj after that roll :)
7/8/13 7:19 PM
ohmy23
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Some of my favorites over the years

Xande
Caio 2x
leandro lo
BJ Penn
Murilo bustamante
Andre Galvao
Mendes Brothers

But mendes brothers stick out in my mind the most; detailed, attentive, and their passion for the art really shows. I liked their teaching so much I've dropped into their academy a few times since then Phone Post 3.0
7/8/13 8:00 PM
Tarado Safado
482 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

best: Xande, Oleg Taktarov

worst: Megaton Diaz (MacKenzie Dern's father)
7/8/13 8:15 PM
168 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

angrypirate - Marcelo Garcia. 2007, a few months after ADCC. Hands down THE nicest guy in BJJ. Taught his arm drag and back game, still use the stuff from that seminar. His story of the match with Ricco Rodriguez was priceless!

gotta agree,marcelo is 1 big smile
7/8/13 8:16 PM
168 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

never did a seminar,what a nice guy
7/8/13 8:55 PM
shen
743 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think part of what makes for a "good" seminar has to do with WHEN you take it...

Some seminars I took as, say, a White Belt, I may have not been "ready" for. Conversely, some I've been to lately, I may have not gotten all that much out of, but maybe if I had taken the same seminar as a Blue or Purple Belt, I would have loved it. So timing is a part of it.

Also, sometimes a seminar is "fun" because of the vibe or who's teaching, but you don't learn all that much useful stuff. Other seminars, I didn't really enjoy the teacher, but learned something useful.

So it's kinda complicated to say who gives "the best" seminars across the board.
7/8/13 8:55 PM
joe canada
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Tarado Safado - best: Xande, Oleg Taktarov

worst: Megaton Diaz (MacKenzie Dern's father)

First time I've ever seen someone explain who Megaton is by referencing his daughter, rather than vice versa.

I'm so very, very old :(
7/8/13 10:32 PM
PayItForward
144 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I refuse to consider anyone who is under said instructor's association.

please post only those who you're not associated with.
7/8/13 10:46 PM

shen and myself,$60.00 got you 8 hr of techs
7/9/13 12:35 AM
ams
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Priit something from SBG Estonia puts on great seminars Phone Post 3.0
7/9/13 1:24 AM
ElFeroz

1) Saulo
2) Rickson
3) Xande
4) Rafa Mendes
5) Dave Camarillo
Not a big difference between 1 thru 5. Phone Post
7/9/13 1:46 AM
Im a real boy

romulo barral was best seminar i ever did. i've never been a huge spider guard player but now i have some very reliable sweeps from there because of him. he also went over how to defend some pass attempts. thing that i use the most today is the double underhook pass defense. he showed what he does to defend and ever since he showed this that pass has never been an issue for me, his techniques work so well.
7/9/13 1:51 AM
drx604
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mike Fowler came to our school to do a seminar, he also came a few days early to teach regular classes. The regular classes were like mini seminars of their own. The whole series he taught throughout each of the days were different yet all tied in to each other. but most of all, he's a pretty cool guy to be around and his classes were fun as hell. Phone Post
7/9/13 9:25 AM
dpro2716
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt Phone Post 3.0
7/9/13 9:46 AM
deepu
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

shen - I think part of what makes for a "good" seminar has to do with WHEN you take it...

Some seminars I took as, say, a White Belt, I may have not been "ready" for. Conversely, some I've been to lately, I may have not gotten all that much out of, but maybe if I had taken the same seminar as a Blue or Purple Belt, I would have loved it. So timing is a part of it.

Also, sometimes a seminar is "fun" because of the vibe or who's teaching, but you don't learn all that much useful stuff. Other seminars, I didn't really enjoy the teacher, but learned something useful.

So it's kinda complicated to say who gives "the best" seminars across the board.

This. I wish I could redo some of the seminars I did as a white belt again, specifically the Shaolin and Leo Santos ones.

Both were awesome but I would have got so much more out of them now.
7/9/13 9:56 AM
blackmonkey

I've done seminars with Rickson, Kron, Xande and Braulio and I have to say Braulio's was the best
7/9/13 10:04 AM
XmmaAddictX
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Laercio Fernandes & Carlson Gracie jr were two of my favorites. Two totally different styles of bjj but both super detailed and concise. Phone Post
7/9/13 11:51 AM
CodeGeek
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have low expectations, so if I get 2 or 3 new techniques (or details that make techs I know work better) then I'm happy with a seminar. To me, seminars are more about the experience of getting to meet and train with notable instructors, than they are about learning a whole bunch of stuff. I find it's just too hard to retain everything so I just look for a few gems that I can fit into my game. Every seminar I've attended has provided me with at least a couple things, so I've never been disappointed.
7/9/13 12:48 PM
RobbieMorales

Ive attended many seminars with Rickson and Fabio Santos probably 2 of the best ever but I recently hosted a seminar with Fabricio "Morango" Camoes ( Gracie Humaita Royler Gracie Black belt/ UFC Vet)and it was Incredible, Morango covered a sequence of sweeps from the open guard then two entries to the omoplata from the failed sweeps, cross-side attacks , to mounting opponent to opponent sleeve assisted ezekiel chokes and he finished off with attacking the turtle position to a very "connection" style clock choke. Morango teaches very concept and principal oriented and is a very articulate and personable instructor EVERYONE recieved individual attention. The Rickson / Royler influence is very notable with the "connection" stressed in every technique.

The seminar lasted longer than planned and I highly recommend EVERYONE to attend a seminar or a class with Fabricio.

Rob
7/9/13 1:50 PM
htownbjj
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07/09/13 2:20 PM
Using the criteria of "best" meaning insight, usefulness of techniques, energy level, details, friendliness, helpfulness -- here's the my ranking of my top 5, followed by more info.

1. Ratinho Couto
2. Cobrinha
3. Carlos Machado
4. Ryron Gracie
5. Clark Gracie

Cobrinha - super friendly and warm, awesome details & techniques, rolled with a bunch of guys (I didn't get to be one of them, unfortunately)

Robson Moura - I think he was a bit tired, pretty good seminar, interesting techniques

Ryron Gracie - friendly, patient, fantastic details

Marcelo Garcia - nice seminar, rolled with some guys (not me) showed a detail I use all the time but I think I've almost never seen him show on mginaction

Mendes Bros - RDLR, leg drag. They were helpful but seemed a bit detached

Cyborg Abreu - tornado stuff, none of which I've used. But it was a good seminar and he was a cool guy. He taught a detail from side control that I've never seen elsewhere. He good-naturedly tooled some high level dudes who rolled with him

Carlos Machado - mind-blowing concepts from butterfly and passing, friendly, wonderful experience

Carlos Gracie, Jr - great stories (with a GB slant, lol), some nice open guard techniques I still use

Ratinho Couto - gives the best seminars, IMHO. Profound knowledge and he really cares about his students

Galvao - was 45+ minutes late, showed his butterfly and leg drag game, good details but had to coax some info out, seemed tired/disengaged

Clark Gracie - excellent oma plata details and tricks, some nice guard passing concepts, a bit disengaged but still a good vibe

Jeff Glover - showed a million techniques, I don't think I've used any of them (probably my fault), he came off as friendly but really cocky

Edit: added top 5.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.