UnderGround Forums

Revgear League BJJGround >> Who gives the best seminar???

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

7/9/13 5:28 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
nocasanova
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Gokor. Very practical techniques. Phone Post 3.0
7/9/13 5:37 PM
BJJintheUSA
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

shen - I think part of what makes for a "good" seminar has to do with WHEN you take it...

Some seminars I took as, say, a White Belt, I may have not been "ready" for. Conversely, some I've been to lately, I may have not gotten all that much out of, but maybe if I had taken the same seminar as a Blue or Purple Belt, I would have loved it. So timing is a part of it.

Also, sometimes a seminar is "fun" because of the vibe or who's teaching, but you don't learn all that much useful stuff. Other seminars, I didn't really enjoy the teacher, but learned something useful.

So it's kinda complicated to say who gives "the best" seminars across the board.

As usual Shen is dead on. My first BJJ class/experience was actually a Ray Diego seminar, unfortunately i have NO IDEA what techniques he taught, but i trained and it was fun and he engaged n00bs like me as well as the brown belts.

I had a great seminar with Eddie Bravo that showed me different perspectives and paths on attacks that I thought i knew, and i was instantly able to add them to my game. also, i took a seminar with Drysdale right after his ADCC victory, and felt like i didn't get as much out of it because what he showed was not where my bjj was at, but i know other people who use the same 2 passes he showed at that seminar day in and day out.

I think it all depends on where you are in the journey, and what you want your BJJ to look/feel like

7/9/13 6:31 PM
PTM2020
1776 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

shen - I think part of what makes for a "good" seminar has to do with WHEN you take it...

Some seminars I took as, say, a White Belt, I may have not been "ready" for. Conversely, some I've been to lately, I may have not gotten all that much out of, but maybe if I had taken the same seminar as a Blue or Purple Belt, I would have loved it. So timing is a part of it.

Also, sometimes a seminar is "fun" because of the vibe or who's teaching, but you don't learn all that much useful stuff. Other seminars, I didn't really enjoy the teacher, but learned something useful.

So it's kinda complicated to say who gives "the best" seminars across the board.

hmmmm.

wonder how it would go if someone offered strictly Blue belt, Purple belt etc  themed Seminars.

7/9/13 6:41 PM
LEMon
165 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Believe it or not Royler Gracie. I've been to three of his seminars and the first one he did was just ridiculously good. It was the second one he ever did in Australia and he is my coaches teacher and he just went all out, showed awesome passes, subs, transitions etc. The next two just couldn't meet with the first one.

Most disappointing to me was Ze Mario who is an excellent teacher but showed up u prepared, left early and just didnt show his best stuff. That was more due to the chaperone but it was just disappointing as I know how brilliant he is.

Xande was one of the best ever. Concepts, simple and game changing.

Mendes boys are always good, their style is not for everyone but if u ask them the right questions their side control escapes, armbars etc (ie basics) are really cool too.

Still never been to Mr Bravo but hear good things.

Andre Galvao was awesome, he fielded questions, told stories, showed great sequences and rolled with everyone. Highly recommended.

Abmar Barbosa was a really nice person, lots of respect, his game just isn't for me but his seminar was good.

Nicolini also has awesome coaching, highly recommend her! Phone Post 3.0
7/9/13 6:41 PM
LEMon
165 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Oh I forgot, Steve maxwell! Great guys, coach and still use his stuff dauly Phone Post 3.0
7/9/13 7:06 PM
BenBJJ
257 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Worst: Royler by far. I could even stress how bad it was and always recommend him as one to avoid.

Best:
Jorge Pereira for positions, old school violence.

Vitor Vianna (Wand coach), you may not have heard of him but his was great. I filmed each technique also, which is a GREAT thing to do in a seminar (if you can).

Royce (when I was white belt): "He signed my belt!"
7/9/13 7:20 PM
LEMon

Ben I did private with Vianna, def simple and awesome! Phone Post 3.0
7/9/13 7:59 PM
BenBJJ
257 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Liam, did you do turtle escapes and attacks? They were awesome!
7/9/13 8:07 PM
LEMon

A little, we did passing. His game is very simple and easy to apply why I liked it Phone Post 3.0
7/9/13 8:40 PM
dpro2716
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Trained with Vianna when he was helping Comprido teach in Chicago. Phone Post 3.0
7/9/13 9:45 PM
mbalz izhairy

One name I'm surprised no one mentioned- Leo Vieira.

I was training at a certain academy in NYC in 99 or 2000 and I told one of my friends who was a purple belt( who is now a well known black belt) that I was thinking of going to a Leo Vieira seminar up in Boston. He told me "Why would you wanna go to that? He's not gonna show you anything."

I ended up going anyway and was blown away. The seminar was at Boston BJJ which was a Gracie Barra affiliate. Leozinho had energy to spare, was very friendly and showed a TON of his game. I put about half of the things I learned into my game immediately and used them for years after. I did a private with him after the seminar and since I was a fan of his, I was already familiar with his best moves. Every move I asked him about, he showed me in detail. I was just a blue belt, not from Alliance either, and he treated me like family. That guy is awesome.
7/9/13 10:34 PM
spider guard
38 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Surprisingly, Michelle Nicolini was the best. Every technique broken down. Kept the whole room attentive and reviewed all the moves at the end of the seminar.
7/10/13 12:07 AM
UGCTT_Fillthy
242 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07/10/13 12:07 AM

Shen got it right.

In my limited experience, Ryron and/or Rener are great at seminars.  They do an excellent job of layering and chaining the techniques, so that there's plenty of stuff to digest for all levels.  

And they bring a very positive vibe.  I'd love to have a whole day with Caique for the same reasons.

I'm a n00b, so it's easy to smash my brain with BJJ technique.  I've had privates with a lot of guys who I'm sure would do amazing seminars - like Kurt Osiander, Scott Epstein, Gokor, or Henry Akins.

7/10/13 8:17 AM
torquemada
470 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Two not big names but great learning were Ian MacPherson and Alan Shebaro. Phone Post
7/10/13 10:24 AM
GrahamJ

Not been to many, but Caio Terra blew me away: just hearing him explain how you should learn, and watching him roll, changed my perspective.
7/10/13 10:33 AM
Session

I went to a Xande seminar as a 1 month white belt. He did not show any overly complicated technique, really well presented, and he was very attentive to EVERYONE in the seminar. Would definitely go again.
7/10/13 11:32 AM
mikeshort06
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I believe Ive been to 4 seminars. De La Riva, real nice guy, kept it basic. Master Mansur, cool experience, but didn't get much from the seminar. Franjinha, great guy, highly recommended, went over a ton, seemed genuinely excited to be there. JT Torres, so awesome, mainly did passing techniques, they were all great and Ive been drilling them like crazy, seems like a super humble dude too. Phone Post
7/10/13 4:31 PM
7 Dust

My opinion- Seminars are over rated. Rather just roll with the high level guys; get my ass kicked and figure out what didn't work on them. Works 1000x better for me.
7/10/13 6:47 PM
GrahamJ

HAHAHAHAHAHA!

Does anything work on them...?
If it does, maybe they're just letting you work?
7/10/13 7:21 PM
Mike Fowler
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

drx604 -  Mike Fowler came to our school to do a seminar, he also came a few days early to teach regular classes. The regular classes were like mini seminars of their own. The whole series he taught throughout each of the days were different yet all tied in to each other. but most of all, he's a pretty cool guy to be around and his classes were fun as hell. Phone Post

Thanks!!
7/10/13 7:21 PM
Mike Fowler
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

drx604 -  Mike Fowler came to our school to do a seminar, he also came a few days early to teach regular classes. The regular classes were like mini seminars of their own. The whole series he taught throughout each of the days were different yet all tied in to each other. but most of all, he's a pretty cool guy to be around and his classes were fun as hell. Phone Post

Thanks!!
7/10/13 7:28 PM
torquemada
470 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mike Fowler -

Thanks!!
This is very cool. Phone Post
7/10/13 10:00 PM
ChimairaGT
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Rener Gracie by far. He was in town to do three seminars (Triangle Mastery, Back Attacks, and No-Gi Mount) and I attended each one. What made his seminars great is that each one had a distinct theme, and the techniques that he showed were interconnected. Although I didn't learn any earth-shattering individual techniques, my overall game in the particular focus area improved dramatically by focusing on specific details and being able to chain different attacks and transitions.

I found his approach much more useful than other seminars that I have attended, where someone shows a random grab bag of their favorite techniques. By the end of Rener's seminar you could really model an aspect of your game around the topic as a whole, as opposed to trying to figure out one or two techniques to adopt into your game. Also, since the techniques shown are all interrelated, it has been much easier to retain what I knew because if I can't remember a specific technique right away, I can usually piece it together from preceding or successive positions or techniques.

Lastly, I got to roll with Rener and was destroyed in a way I had never experienced before. I've trained with some very high level black belts and it felt like he was rolling in a different dimension.
7/11/13 9:55 AM
Stephan Kesting
223 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Free Roadmap for BJJ Book
I have had major breakthroughs directly because of stuff I learned at seminars by Erik Paulson, Oleg Taktarov and Marc Laimon, so those guys get my vote! Phone Post 3.0
7/11/13 12:30 PM
Beeran
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07/11/13 1:23 PM
I've attended seminars with Big Nog, Jeremy Horn, Leo Santos, Caio, and Luiz Claudio (Rickson BB), but the most useful was a one-day Gui Mendes seminar. Lots of great, fairly simple DLR stuff and a little berimbolo/leg drag.

Was disappointed that I didn't get to roll with him, but great seminar overall. I happened to be in Newport Beach the following week, dropped in at AOJ (still didn't get to roll with him :( ), and could not have been more impressed with the level of their students and the instruction there. There is clearly a different level of BJJ being taught at some schools.

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.