UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Rewatched Anderson vs Weidman....

7/8/13 12:26 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Jacinto
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

orcus - 

"The rematch will be totally different. Next time Chris will get him down like he did on his first attempt and gnp him to a tko imo. Had he not given up position for the leglock he would have done it this time."

He landed just 11 strikes in the first round and some of those were standing. How do you conclude he would have gotten a GnP TKO? He couldn't even GnP TKO Mark Munoz or Sakara in the first, why would he do it to Anderson?

He may have landed only 11 shots but there were several big shots on the ground. I just think if he maintained that position like he could have instead of going for the leglock they were gonna add up and get him the tko or a cut stoppage and this is coming from someone that thought Anderson was gonna starch him.
7/8/13 12:58 PM
ILoveWatchingJonesBoneShogun
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

orcus - 

"The rematch will be totally different. Next time Chris will get him down like he did on his first attempt and gnp him to a tko imo. Had he not given up position for the leglock he would have done it this time."

He landed just 11 strikes in the first round and some of those were standing. How do you conclude he would have gotten a GnP TKO? He couldn't even GnP TKO Mark Munoz or Sakara in the first, why would he do it to Anderson?

Regardless of what stat provider said he landed 11 shots it is pretty clear he landed whatever he wanted whenever he wanted on the ground. Maybe you need to re-watch the round

http://mmashare.mmavista.com/serious-mma-videos-f35/hd-update-anderson-silva-vs-chris-weidman-t66993.html
7/8/13 1:00 PM

also Anderson can only stop takedowns when he is near or against the fence, he can't stop any good wrestlers from taking him down in the middle of the cage
7/8/13 1:03 PM

Edited: 07/08/13 1:04 PM
and the reason he didn't land more shots is because after about a minute he went for the knee, Anderson had nothing for Chris. He is better off not fighting him again and let people wonder what would have happened, instead of getting hit in the head for 5 rounds
7/8/13 1:04 PM
Stigga
44 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I can not wait to see how silva is in the rematch! Is he himself, setting up counter strikes with crazy antics? Is he more normal and keeps his hands up? Is he agressive? Is he crushed and lost all his passion?
7/8/13 1:06 PM

in the rematch Weidman won't give up a dominant position and will keep it on the ground
7/8/13 1:39 PM
ortman166

Joemacka - At the start ill admit i was abit worried when chris got anderson down and went for the sub. But when it got to the second round i had no doubt in my mind that silva was gonna finish him. Instead of pulling the trigger and trying to end the fight he starts show boating and we all know what happened then. Phone Post 3.0
That was the way I was feeling, I wasn't even sure what happened until I watched the replay a couple of times... Phone Post 3.0
7/9/13 11:49 AM
NotSomeTourist
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I saw it very differently. What I saw was Chris take Anderson down with relative ease and control him easily on the ground, land solid punches and going for that kneebar then transitioning to the heeo hook. Then, after escaping the submission attempt, Anderson began to goad Chris into striking with him. I think Chris knew what was happening the whole time, like he said in the post-fight interview. In case you didn't notice, Chris' next two TD attempts, in the first and the second, were incrdeibly telegraphed and from way far out, do you honestly think a two time all american in wrestling and someone with the jiu jitsu he possesses would be that bad at taking someone down? The first takedown was flawless. But something else that I wish more people noticed was that  on the second TD attempt in the first, Anderson had a perfect Thai clench agfainst the fence, something he favours (thiunk Hendo, Franklin, Rivera) and uses to land devastating knees strikes. He didn't throw a single knee from that position, this is something that surprised the fuck out of me and basically proved to me that he was going to do anything to keep this standing. Chris knew that. When Anderson put his back against the cage like he did against Bonnar, Chris didn't wait for anything and he didn't hesitate and threw a solid jab-straight combo. He knew anderson was going to try and fuck up his timing by doingf all his normal stuff, stuff that has been successful. But Chris had the perfect gameplan counter that: never stop moving forwaerd. When Anderson drops his hands, he doesn't move laterally, it's always backwards. When Chris knocked him out, it was because he was stepping forward the whole time as Anderson moved straight back. What Anderson didn't expect was a backhand jab, which threw off his timing and forced to move unnaturally and set up the left hook perfectly.

As a fan of both guys, I really didn't care who won. I just wanted to see Chris perform to his best abilities and I wanted Anderson to do the same. I think they both did and Chris was the smarter fighter and the better fighter on the night. I think that anyone trying to say this or that about either of then is silly. Chris won, Anderson lost. Whether it was because Anderson took him too lightly (I don't think he did) or wasn't serious is a non issue. Anderson fought how he did, Chris fought how he did, and it resulted in a new Middleweight Champion.

7/9/13 12:05 PM
Marketing guy

I'm an AS fan and I do think Silva would have won if he had takin the fight seriously. That being said we were robbed of truly knowing who the better fighter is. C'mon just because AS clowns doesn't make Chris the better fighter. Just bc Anderson got caught doesn't mean AS isnt the GOAT. Serra caught GSP. We all saw who the better fighter was in the rematch. I really don't know if Weidman would win the rematch but it probably won't be the same outcome as what we got. I would't be surprised if this fight actually eats at both of them. I'm sure they both really want to know who is ACTUALLY the better fighter. Weidman HAS to know he capitalized on the BIGGEST miscalculation of Silva's career. I'm sure Silva knows. Nobody really knows who would have won. We can just pontificate.
7/9/13 12:07 PM
Leck Brosnar

ortman166 - 
Joemacka - At the start ill admit i was abit worried when chris got anderson down and went for the sub. But when it got to the second round i had no doubt in my mind that silva was gonna finish him. Instead of pulling the trigger and trying to end the fight he starts show boating and we all know what happened then. Phone Post 3.0
That was the way I was feeling, I wasn't even sure what happened until I watched the replay a couple of times... Phone Post 3.0

Please do remember that when Anderson started showboating(faked he was hurt), he got Chris to come in and tried to counter with a left but FAILED. He got his reaction from the showboating, failed in his counter and got KTFO.

That's a counter striker for you, doesn't always work out when you're not fighting old Griffin.
7/9/13 12:15 PM
JStrongMMA
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm tired of everyone saying..."well if Anderson went into beast mode and if he took the fight seriously....". Ifs don't mean anything. They fought and Silva lost. Weidman beats him again in a rematch imo. The last memory that Silva will have when they step back in the cage is Weidman laying him the fuck out. Silva will have far less confidence and Weidman will have an infinite amount more. Phone Post
7/9/13 12:16 PM
The Black Cheez
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Anderson Silva is like Dr. Doom. Takes over the world, relinquishes control of the world because he was bored, then comes back and takes over the world again.

Or, he actually had nothing for Weidman. I think Silva was just bored, kinda stopped caring and paid for it. Phone Post
7/9/13 12:19 PM
subwrassler
75 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I agree with this 100%
7/9/13 12:20 PM
Leck Brosnar

http://brianharley.files.wordpress.com/2012/07/silva-griffin.gif

Just watch how similar a sequence this is. If Forrest had doubled up on the right he might've done the same. I hope Weidman and Longo specifically trained this.
7/9/13 12:21 PM
subwrassler
75 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm not sure how a Weidman fan wouldn't have been worried for him at the start of round 2
7/9/13 12:22 PM
Leck Brosnar

Against Forrest = GOAT

Against Weidman who adjusts = He was done, not in his prime, he gave it away

LOL.
7/9/13 12:51 PM
SQUEEZIE

Glovegate - 

For Caught_clean:

"he has him right where he wants him guys."

"he is trolling guys."

these guys make for some great laughs.just when i think people cant get any more stupid...i read ug andy hugger comments and think our world is getting dumber by the minute.
7/9/13 12:52 PM
fightharder
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MMALOGIC - 

And Anderson had Chris right where he wanted him (up until he got knocked out that is).

If you watch the fight, it is eerily similar to the Hendo and chael (#2) fights.  All of them took anderson down in the first round and smothered him and then couldnt in the second and were nothing but sitting ducks.

It looked like Anderson had Chris in the same spot as chael and hendo in the second round... All he had to do was take him out... (or at least try). 

The rematch will look nothing like the first fight.  That was Anderson's fight to lose.   Weidman definately has the tools to be champ but that was a gift from Anderson. 

I have a slightly different take....

Anderson got annoyed and was impressed by Weidman ground game. So he was certain he did not want it to end up down there again and decided to use his famous baiting strategy once again.

In the standup he played around with Weidman and he did manage to stuff the one take-down attempt in the second round. But Weidman did play along with the crazy antics up to a point. Silva overdid it with his silliness and got punished for it but that will not happen in the rematch.

Then again Weidman might not get baited again and keep going for those take-downs relentlessly. He did rather well on the ground.

So while the first fight might not look anything like the first fight it was a gift giving out of frustration more then anything else.
7/9/13 1:00 PM
Wasa-B
294 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

nateallan - Orcus, It's pretty hard to take someone down with the double leg when they have there hands at there knees in a position for the cow catcher like Anderson was. Plus Anderson was backing up which if you anything about wrestling it is extremely hard to shoot on someone who has there hands down and retreating backwards. Weidman clearly never fully committed on another shot. Had Anderson fought with his hands up like in the first Chael fight, he would have been taken down repeatedly.

People give way to much credit to Silva because of the taunting. Bottom line is that Silva's only clean shots landed were inside leg kicks. Weidman landed clean shots in both the first and second round, but people ignore them because of Silva's taunting.

Anderson pretty much did nothing all fight. As i was talking to nobones in his thread, i think that Anderson's clowing was his attempt to take control of the fight, which he did SLIGHTLY in the fact that it made Weidman not pursue his regular course of wrestling like he did in R1 to which he easily took Anderson down off his first attempt. When Weidman did close the distance to clinch (and you this was still done with the td in mind) he was easily thwarted by Anderson. This is something that Anderson became really good at - taking the tds against the cage and either having double underhooks immediately as they clinch or in the first clinch in R2, Anderson was easily able to push Weidman off.

The only problem was though Anderson suceeded into keeping the fight standing, he wasnt able to do this thing there. Weidman still won there. That is the big difference of course. So I give full credit to Weidman there for rising to the occasion on many levels but I also think at the same time, Anderson showed his decline. Its a simple 2 fold thing to me: Anderson declined, Weidman rose. That's it.
7/9/13 1:06 PM
Stigga
44 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

For some reason I think Anderson desperately wanted to stand (You can tell by him yelling across the cage before round 2 to not wrestle and stand). He went overboard leaving himself open to make Weidman want to stand. And it worked, he get Weidman where he wanted him BUT we all know how it ended.
7/9/13 1:07 PM
Wasa-B
294 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Tomato Can - People talking this "Anderson beat himself with cockiness" shit are ignoring a key element of what happened. Anderson's clowning around was a tactic, and it was working. Weidman dominated the first few minutes of the fight, but come the end of the first round, Anderson's antics had him looking shook and confused, and maybe even a little gassed.

The problem was, he did take it too far. When you're 38 years old you can't leave your hands down and ninja your way out of every strike. It came back to bite him in the ass.

A rematch could be a very different fight but I don't see Anderson being a huge favorite. Anderson's aura of invincibility is gone and he won't be able to intimidate Weidman in the same way. Weidman will be more relaxed and confident, and if his coaches are smart, they'll keep him focused on a wrestling-centric approach, while mixing in some strikes off the threat of the shot. Not to mention Anderson will be another 6 months older.

Yeah, this is more along the lines of what i think too. Anderson momentarily was able to pause Weidman's momentum with this tactics (and yes, the clowing is and has always been a tactic and has always worked up to the other night, all good things come to an end for everyone). I also think Anderson tried it because he was getting a bit desperate himself and felt he had to roll the dice because he wasn't feeling control of the fight he normally does.

And yes, he did take it too far. I do think its a bit strange in the extent and how it transpired but it doesnt really matter in the end, Weidman seized the day, that's all that matters.

I think the irony of people thinking "Anderson beat himself with cockiness" is that they let Anderson's tactics distract them from what was really going on. So Anderson trolled these fans but he didnt troll Weidman. I was half kidding in another thread about Herb Dean not sure if Anderson was faking being out. In the Art of War, deception is a key element. So Anderson even deceived the ref but he didnt deceive the most important person, his opponent.
7/9/13 1:43 PM
Pepewise
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Silva did mention a few things that when I put it together I think I know what he wants. Obviously wanted to win but was ok with losing. when he lost he thought fuck it, burdens off my shoulder of being the champion, im ok with it. now he doesn't have that pressure to do shoots with the belt ,be in the lime light, fight every few months and all of that.he can take time off with his family. He can take a step back from it all then have a few fights vs 'interesting' opponents he's wanted to fight. I doubt RJJ but he has mentioned Bisping before, maybe someone in 205? Just have a few fights under his belt because he said he had 10 fights but doesnt wanna retire or fight for the belt. He prob just wants to fight a few ppl while taking months off to balance family and fighting,maybe 4/5 fights... then take the belt back and cement his legacy which is already one of the top all time. I would like to see Hendricks and Gustaffson win though lol get those fights with Andy back
7/9/13 5:55 PM
PeaceThroughStrength

orcus - 

"So got taken down and pummeled in the first round"

Pummeled? Chris landed 11 strikes in the whole round and went 1/2 on takedowns.

People seem to really exaggerate what happened in the fight. Chris landed 16 strikes in the whole fight and that's with Anderson being on his back for half of it and sticking his chin out with his hands at his knees for the other half. He went 1 for 3 on takedowns and had 1 sub attempt that had Anderson in no trouble and cost Chris the position.

Not sure how anyone can conclude much of anything from that other than that Anderson shouldn't clown so much.

People seem to be exaggerating Silvas performance way more the Weidman.
All this talk about Silva beating Weidman,only if he didn't get knocked out is pathetic.
If Silva knocked Weidman out while doing what he did you guys would call him a genius,but when Weidman knocks Silva out,it's still all about Silva.

Im amazed so many mma fans still don't realize that anyone can lose a fight.
The truth is Anderson lost the 1st round and got knocked out in the 2nd round,nothing more nothing less.
7/9/13 7:07 PM
Kansas Comet

Wasa-B - 
Tomato Can - People talking this "Anderson beat himself with cockiness" shit are ignoring a key element of what happened. Anderson's clowning around was a tactic, and it was working. Weidman dominated the first few minutes of the fight, but come the end of the first round, Anderson's antics had him looking shook and confused, and maybe even a little gassed.

The problem was, he did take it too far. When you're 38 years old you can't leave your hands down and ninja your way out of every strike. It came back to bite him in the ass.

A rematch could be a very different fight but I don't see Anderson being a huge favorite. Anderson's aura of invincibility is gone and he won't be able to intimidate Weidman in the same way. Weidman will be more relaxed and confident, and if his coaches are smart, they'll keep him focused on a wrestling-centric approach, while mixing in some strikes off the threat of the shot. Not to mention Anderson will be another 6 months older.

Yeah, this is more along the lines of what i think too. Anderson momentarily was able to pause Weidman's momentum with this tactics (and yes, the clowing is and has always been a tactic and has always worked up to the other night, all good things come to an end for everyone). I also think Anderson tried it because he was getting a bit desperate himself and felt he had to roll the dice because he wasn't feeling control of the fight he normally does.

And yes, he did take it too far. I do think its a bit strange in the extent and how it transpired but it doesnt really matter in the end, Weidman seized the day, that's all that matters.

I think the irony of people thinking "Anderson beat himself with cockiness" is that they let Anderson's tactics distract them from what was really going on. So Anderson trolled these fans but he didnt troll Weidman. I was half kidding in another thread about Herb Dean not sure if Anderson was faking being out. In the Art of War, deception is a key element. So Anderson even deceived the ref but he didnt deceive the most important person, his opponent.

You two nailed this, Thread ended in my opinion.
7/9/13 7:10 PM
Jack Carter
586 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07/09/13 7:09 PM

"Anderson momentarily was able to pause Weidman's momentum with this tactics"

Oops, you left out the MOST IMPORTANT part: That Weidman lost his momentum for taking the fight to the ground and instead gained momentum on his feet, leading to him repeatedly tagging Silva while Silva was supposed to slipping those punches and ultimately knocking him the fuck out

Why did you fail to mention the most important part regarding momentum?

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.