UnderGround Forums

BJJGround Forum >> Women On The Mat

7/7/13 11:31 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
CharlesSmith
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Does your training group support women on the mat?
7/7/13 11:32 PM
CharlesSmith

Edited: 07/07/13 11:32 PM
7/7/13 11:44 PM
shen
664 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07/07/13 11:45 PM
Well, what do you mean by 'support'...?

You mean allow them in class or give them some sort of extra help?
7/7/13 11:51 PM
QAM256
44 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm a women's athletic supporter whenever possible. Phone Post 3.0
7/8/13 12:06 AM
CharlesSmith

shen - Well, what do you mean by 'support'...?

You mean allow them in class or give them some sort of extra help?

It's an open question, support in any sense.

More and more women seem to be finding their way onto the mat in more and more ways. I'm wondering what's happening in different people's places.
7/8/13 12:45 AM
liuk3
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

We have "women's only" classes and open mat offered at my school. Phone Post 3.0
7/8/13 12:51 AM
badpvtdan
61 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

They don't tend to stick around long. My academy and Professor are super friendly but we can't get the girls to stay (in numbers). Phone Post 3.0
7/8/13 2:12 AM
checkuroil
217 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

We sell sports bras that I help them fit in to Phone Post 3.0
7/8/13 6:55 AM
N5Z
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

We have I think 5 girls total, 2 of whom train consistently and 1 who could teach. Would love to have enough to start women's only classes but as mentioned before it is difficult to get girls to stay.
7/8/13 8:06 AM
N5Z
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

How do you make your gym more female friendly?

I try and get to know everyone's motivations/expectations when they start training but especially the females.

Some women are uncomfortable training w/ men, some men have no clue how to train with women. Its the instructor's job to find pairings that are constructive towards learning ie no pairing women with spazz white belts or 220lbs+ wildebeasts.

We also try to maintain a moderate decorum during training.

For the most part women training is not a hinderence like ive heard others say.
7/8/13 8:06 AM
Phuckles
580 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

We always pair them with the biggest, roughest guy and have him send a clear message. We don't need that shit on the mat.

What is your question op? Of course we support having women in our school although our only regular moved away about a year ago. Phone Post
7/8/13 10:28 AM
Nada MT
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Woman are the "canary in the coal mine" when it comes to the environment of your gym.
If you had them but the keep leaving then I would do my best to find out the reason. If you can't get them to stay past the first month then that is a separate issue and needs to be addressed.
If they are leaving to go to another school then you have a more serious problem going on and I would find out soom rather than later why.
A woman's only class isn't always the answer.
We have trianglegrrl teaching 4 or so classes a week (brown belt) plus we have a purple 3 blues and a few whites. Some days we are the majority.

I would have to say the reason we have so many is because we have made it the norm that we are there and not the exception.

Sometimes we have a woman's only class and the guys wonder what we are up too. Lol.

Perhaps some classes to deal with weight and strength differentials sooner rather than later would be helpful. You could argue that, this is the whole point of bjj but sometimes its not explained well enough to a newbee.

Why try so hard you may ask?

Woman can take the baseline aggression out of the room just by our presence. Without that kill of be killed atmosphere you will have better student retention overall. Keep the killer attitude for competition time where it has purpose.
We ALWAYS pay our dues ontime.
I have yet to hear of a woman skipping out on their dues.
We will almost always be the most welcoming to new students. If we stay its because we love bjj and our school and we want to share the experience.
We network. We will tell everyone to bring their boyfriends, kids etc.
Someday we may have little jiu jitsu babies helping grow the sport overall!

So yeah. Our school supports woman. It's probably more accurate to say trianglegrrl and the woman support our school. Phone Post
7/8/13 12:03 PM
aed333
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The 'women quit bjj' argument has been beaten to death in the past 6 months or so with the whole keith owen debacle. Sure, women quit bjj, but so do guys. How many newbs show up to class all gung ho and you never see them again? How many people leave in the 1st month? BJJ is tough, and it's not for everyone. As an earlier poster pointed out, if people are leaving to go to the gym down the street, that's an issue that you need to deal with. If the retention rate (% wise) of women students is much lower than men, that's also an issue
7/8/13 2:42 PM
ohmy23
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

We have women's only classes 2x per week plus a few of the female competitors always train in the advanced classes too.

I think the female only class is roughly 10-12 regulars Phone Post 3.0
7/8/13 6:06 PM
angrypirate
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

we have a women's only class. afterwards they head back to the kitchen where they belong.
7/8/13 6:58 PM
CarolinaSMB_CR

angrypirate - we have a women's only class. afterwards they head back to the kitchen where they belong.

Thumbs down!
Sure you think it's funny, telling that the kitchen is women's place, but I don't think!
7/9/13 11:02 AM
badpvtdan
61 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

We had one of the best female BJJ black belts and still didn't have them in great numbers. You're right about retention as a whole being low. We go out to Dave and Busters every 6 months or so and usually take some kind of group pic. It's always a different group of white belts. Phone Post 3.0
7/9/13 2:00 PM
ilnosnirx
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07/09/13 2:01 PM
wrong thread
7/9/13 2:24 PM
Easters
85 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Even though my gf does most of the cooking I probably spend more time in the kitchen than she does just by staring at the fridge or pantry...

Anyways, I have so much respect for women who train BJJ. We have a few and are getting more. If there's enough they usually pair up with each other, but if not then the instructor will pair them up with an advanced student or even himself. Everyone is cool with them and makes them feel safe. I actually like rolling with women who are higher ranked than me because it forces me to be much more technical and not get into a strength battle.

The only thing that bugs me is when females complain about lower rank males using too much muscle, like they are the only ones who have to deal with this. We all train with people who are stronger than us, and that is why we learn BJJ, so our technique can overcome size. Learn from it. It's a challenge and just because you can't conquer it right now doesn't mean you won't eventually.

My kickboxing gym probably has more females than men, because there's a BAMF female coach who solely focuses on females and relates to them extremely well. It's very much like a "women empowered" thing. They are insanely loyal to her and throw a shitload of money her way as well. I think there is a ton of room for growth with females in BJJ.
7/9/13 6:40 PM
CodeGeek
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Girls have no business training BJJ!

Oh wait... never mind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBL7YUTRlpk
7/17/13 2:47 AM
cprevost
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nada MT -  Woman are the "canary in the coal mine" when it comes to the environment of your gym.
If you had them but the keep leaving then I would do my best to find out the reason. If you can't get them to stay past the first month then that is a separate issue and needs to be addressed.
If they are leaving to go to another school then you have a more serious problem going on and I would find out soom rather than later why.
A woman's only class isn't always the answer.
We have trianglegrrl teaching 4 or so classes a week (brown belt) plus we have a purple 3 blues and a few whites. Some days we are the majority.

I would have to say the reason we have so many is because we have made it the norm that we are there and not the exception.

Sometimes we have a woman's only class and the guys wonder what we are up too. Lol.

Perhaps some classes to deal with weight and strength differentials sooner rather than later would be helpful. You could argue that, this is the whole point of bjj but sometimes its not explained well enough to a newbee.

Why try so hard you may ask?

Woman can take the baseline aggression out of the room just by our presence. Without that kill of be killed atmosphere you will have better student retention overall. Keep the killer attitude for competition time where it has purpose.
We ALWAYS pay our dues ontime.
I have yet to hear of a woman skipping out on their dues.
We will almost always be the most welcoming to new students. If we stay its because we love bjj and our school and we want to share the experience.
We network. We will tell everyone to bring their boyfriends, kids etc.
Someday we may have little jiu jitsu babies helping grow the sport overall!

So yeah. Our school supports woman. It's probably more accurate to say trianglegrrl and the woman support our school. Phone Post

Well said! We made some changes at our gym over a year ago. We did some curriculum and class changes to make the gym better for beginners since our retention rate wasn't so good. It turns out that the things you do to make the gym work better for beginners works for women as well. We have a ton of female members now and I couldn't be happier about it. They bring a ton of value to the gym and do change the attitude and atmosphere in a positive way.
7/25/13 1:51 AM
andrewn

Edited: 07/25/13 1:52 AM
My coach has a very friendly and supportive wife who also competes. And they have a son who trains and competes also. Having an alpha female and family atmosphere like this keeps the testosterone in line, and makes the place and the vibe much less intense.

Women notice a lot. Another gym I train at someone cut all the photos of guys out of a fitness equipment calendar near the front desk so only girl's pics remained. A female blue belt state champion who trained there got pissed off at this and told me "this sort of attitude is why they have problems retaining female students".
7/26/13 8:49 AM
allchokedup
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

my wife is the only female that regularly trains at my school. She doesnt feel confortable going to class without me. To keep women around the coach is going to have to make the atmosphere that of learning and not newbs trying to win. It has to be common knowledge and not something you explain to people after the fact. Take it easy on people smaller and weaker. Dont necesarily let them "win" but control your pressure and power. You can learn a lot from rolling with a girl. They use way more technique than a guy would, as they dont really have the option of powering out or muscling for a position.
7/26/13 9:24 AM
The Handsome One

My training group "supports" woman training. My instructor does a good job with making sure that woman are paired up with safe training partners. With that being said, I would say that half of the women that I've ever trained with initiated what I and other teammates have perceived to be an inappropriate tone when it comes to training. This may get some people's panties in a bunch, but a lot of woman I've trained with were overly revealing clothing and will roll in a specialized manner. For example, if I'm making sure not to grope you, I think you should refrain from pressing your partially exposed breasts in my face. Just my two cents Phone Post 3.0
7/26/13 9:31 AM
The Handsome One

*sexualized (not specialized) Phone Post 3.0

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.