UnderGround Forums

BJJGround Forum >> How ridiculously expensive are jiu Jitsu tourneys?

7/8/13 4:47 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Subzero90
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It has dawned on me that I spend around $75 to compete in jiu Jitsu tournaments and at best get 2 matches usually only one because nogi is fairly thin.  I can justify paying a high entry fee for a life experience like the worlds but for 7 minutes of grappling at a local small time tourney, this seems criminal.

7/8/13 8:11 AM
Muggler
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Damn, around here 30-40 person divisions isn't uncommon. Phone Post 3.0
7/8/13 10:43 AM
Herbish1
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm competing July 20 at grapplers quest. I just check the fee, $97!!! Wtf! Phone Post 3.0
7/8/13 5:59 PM
angrypirate
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Honestly, I think going on a "daycation" and training at another gym is just as good. A mat fee of $20 or less, and as many rolls as you want. After gas, food, etc. you actually save money. Screw waiting around 8 hours.
7/8/13 7:14 PM
Predator2alpha

angrypirate - Honestly, I think going on a "daycation" and training at another gym is just as good. A mat fee of $20 or less, and as many rolls as you want. After gas, food, etc. you actually save money. Screw waiting around 8 hours.
I like this idea. It's likely you won't have people trying to crank on stuff in a friendly roll too Phone Post 3.0
7/8/13 8:16 PM
Subzero90

Haha damn I just reread the tournament info it's $90, for some local cbjjf tournament.. They are killing competition.  Seriously stop spending money on those gay medals and fancy score clocks and matching uniforms for your refs.  Lower the price so the skilled guys actually enter.  

7/8/13 11:52 PM
tripleguardpull
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^ I've done the last few CBJJF tourneys and honestly the $100 it cost (for gi and nogi) in comparison to smaller cheaper tournament is worth it IMO. I would like to see a losers bracket to fight for bronze but I'm sure it's a time issue. Having legit reffing and a well run tourney to condition us for the pans, worlds and such is a good thing again IMO.
7/9/13 3:50 AM
Subzero90

Edited: 07/09/13 3:59 AM
tripleguardpull - ^ I've done the last few CBJJF tourneys and honestly the $100 it cost (for gi and nogi) in comparison to smaller cheaper tournament is worth it IMO. I would like to see a losers bracket to fight for bronze but I'm sure it's a time issue. Having legit reffing and a well run tourney to condition us for the pans, worlds and such is a good thing again IMO.

Hmm I'm guessing u train with GB.  I don't need a losers bracket I need a lower entry fee so more people enter.  The most fun I've had at a tourny are the smaller ones, at least one gets matches. Last cbjjf I paid $80 to do the nogi purple and I got one match up a weight class.  Not too mention I was a blue belt at the time they wouldn't let me enter the bluebelt because I had won one of their tournaments in a purple belt division.  It's a complete money grab and nothing else.

7/9/13 9:38 AM
tripleguardpull
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lol at the GB comment, honestly I would think the same thing. I'm actually from the island and we have no GB but imagine you add on $250+ to the tourney cost for ferry fees and still its worth it compared to the tourneys here. I do understand though for a purple who only does only nogi cause really that's gonna be the thinnest part of these tourneys, Im blue so usually I get decent matches and if not then the open is an option.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.