UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> How Chris Weidman Killed the King

7/8/13 4:50 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Jack Slack
1796 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07/08/13 8:30 AM

Hey guys,

Some of you will know that I didn't publish my Killing the King: Anderson Silva on here because I was unhappy with some editions which were made to it, but you can still read it here if you fancy: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1687489-killing-the-king-anderson-silva

Today however I wanted to talk about how Weidman caught Silva and the high risk, high reward style of pulling away from punches.

Hope you don't mind clicking the link and as always all feedback is welcomed!

Cheers,

Jack

UFC 162 brought one of the greatest surprises in recent UFC history as the relatively inexperienced Chris Weidman knocked out the great Anderson Silva. Weidman has just 10 fights to his name including his win over Silva and had been absent from the sport for a year (a quarter of his total career) up until the fight due to injury.

Here's the gif of the knockout. You're going to want to keep that open.

Weidman has unfortunately been robbed of some of the glory that he deserves by the many fans and journalists who are claiming this to be more a case of Silva losing the fight for himself rather than Weidman taking the title from him.

Weidman won the first round in fairly convincing fashion as he took down the champion, landed good punches and attacked with a kneebar and heel hook. Once the fight returned to the feet, Anderson Silva went to his showboating and looked to convince the judges that he was winning the round based on his confidence and bravado.

Unfortunately, MMA is the kind of sport wherein judges can be fooled into thinking that showboating actually means something, certainly some fans are still convinced Silva won the first round.

In the second round, it was more of Silva going about his usual antics and waiting for Weidman to overextend himself. Weidman did a wonderful job of continually moving into good striking range rather than lunging in at Silva's bait. Weidman's jabs landed successfully through Silva's razzle-dazzle, and that had to irritate the champion.

I spoke in my "Killing the King" series about how Anderson rolls with or pulls away from punches and how his opponents in MMA make it a good deal easier for him by never leaving the left-right-left punching pattern:

In MMA, this [anticipating strikes] should be easier than in boxing because almost all MMA fighters attack by alternating their hands—left-right-left or vice versa.

Boxers often double or even triple up the same hand mid-combination, which makes it difficult for the defender to turn side to side as Silva does.

Very few opponents have doubled up punches from one hand against Silva. I am not saying that doubling up would allow a fighter to knock Silva out—there isn't a simple answer to an iron chin. However, there is a reason why elite boxers rarely roll with every punch as effectively as Silva does; boxers are not as predictable and one-note in their offence.

Of course I had no idea that Chris Weidman would be the man to try this and even less of a clue that it would end in a knockout for a man whose chances most of us were pretty pessimistic about.

Weidman's success in throwing Silva off his game and catching the champion off balance before finishing him on the ground was largely due to his doubling up off his right hand.

Leaning straight back away from punches at the waist is a technical taboo in boxing. It opens up some lovely counters if you can convince an opponent to lunge at you—see Silva over Forrest Griffin or Muhammad Ali over Sonny Liston (which I wrote about here)—but if you get hit while bending backward at the waist, there isn't far that you can go to absorb the force of the blow.

Muhammad Ali draws Sonny Liston out and catches him reaching.

A fantastic example of both the risks and rewards of pulling straight back from punches can be seen in Prince Naseem Hamed's bout with Kevin Kelley. Hamed was dropped multiple times as he was hit while trying to lean back, but equally, Hamed's own knockout punch came off one of these awkward backward leans which made Kelley over commit.

Fans can complain about Silva leaning back with his hands low all day because it cost him the fight, but it has also won him numerous fights in his incredible win streak. It is difficult to lean as far back, or as freely, with one's hands up—try performing limbo while holding your fists to your chin for a lesson in human balance—and Silva loves to draw fighters in by making their strikes fall just short.

Silva loads up the short right hook while leaning back against Belfort.

Plenty of elite fighters in boxing, kickboxing and MMA have pulled away from strikes, as Silva does, and have become known as crafty fighters for their chosen style; Muhammad Ali and Prince Naseem are a couple of great examples from the boxing world.

Unfortunately, most who do pull away from punches eventually get hit while they are doing so, and it is just so much worse to get hit while leaning backward than when in stance with some semblance of a guard.

Continues with Ray Robinson, Mas Oyama and the knockout at: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1695987-ufc-162-how-chris-weidman-killed-the-king

7/8/13 4:58 AM
Spoonie Luv
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good article Phone Post 3.0
7/8/13 5:01 AM
ChaosOverkill
590 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

nice voted up

7/8/13 5:03 AM
smags
110 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

More great stuff man, VU Phone Post 3.0
7/8/13 5:04 AM
XIITT_JBASS
239 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Great read as always!! VTFU

7/8/13 5:07 AM
KZTT_W85
102 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

As always, good read Phone Post 3.0
7/8/13 5:10 AM
Smith1234
63 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Excellent work. Phone Post 3.0
7/8/13 5:10 AM
Smith1234
63 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

There are more people UGing at this hour than I would've thought. Phone Post 3.0
7/8/13 5:14 AM
lockon
60 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Really well written and overall a quality article. Thanks for the insight on just how well Weidman set up that hook in anticipation of Anderson's movement.
7/8/13 5:41 AM
DissOfKeath

I was going to ask you to write about Prince Naseem but after checking your writings I see you already did, awesome!
7/8/13 5:50 AM
Bossk
199 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm so glad that you acknowledged that the backfist was what threw off Anderson's timing, if Weidman wouldn't have thrown that I think Anderson would have been well out of the way from that left hand. 

7/8/13 5:51 AM
Bwatermyfren
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Great article. Phone Post 3.0
7/8/13 5:55 AM
Diazed And Confused
68 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Amazing, actually. I'll be sharing this all over Facebook for all my casual friends to read.

VU Phone Post 3.0
7/8/13 5:58 AM
ChrisJPN
75 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Great article.
7/8/13 6:04 AM
Matt Phillips
819 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Well done Jack. I really enjoy your posts.

7/8/13 6:07 AM
FullyLoadedFists

SUB Phone Post
7/8/13 6:18 AM
Jarvis73
162 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Great read. Thank you Phone Post 3.0
7/8/13 6:20 AM
Standup29

Great work as usual!

Keep up the great work! Phone Post
7/8/13 6:26 AM
smth416
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ttt Phone Post
7/8/13 6:53 AM
The Pendulum

Subbing to this. Phone Post
7/8/13 7:23 AM
atma
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nah, nah, nah...
Silva lost, weidman didn't won.. Take your knowledge to other place... ;)

Kidding aside, great article as always. Do you think Silva was being disrespectful, or was a little worried for how r1 went? I'm asking this cause it didn't feel as the "normal" showboating of Silva, he seemed more reluctant to attack.

Thanks Jack! Phone Post
7/8/13 7:40 AM
REDRUM_NYC

Ray Longooooooooooo

7/8/13 7:49 AM
OregonChaelClosedDueToBandWagonCrash

Weidmans stand up looked rudimentary at best. Lol at setting up the hook, he was a stunned dear in the headlights who got lucky. Phone Post 3.0
7/8/13 8:02 AM
REDRUM_NYC

OregonChaelClosedDueToBandWagonCrash - Weidmans stand up looked rudimentary at best. Lol at setting up the hook, he was a stunned dear in the headlights who got lucky. Phone Post 3.0

The first doooosh of this excellent thread

7/8/13 8:04 AM
grimer
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.