UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Renzo: Weidman was fading; Ando Clowned too much!

7/9/13 11:58 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
LastMinuteReplacement
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^ this is as true as it gets
7/9/13 12:00 PM
Dmoney35
69 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

seemed like weidman slowed way down and Anderson was about to do his crazy pick him apart thing and weidman tagged him. it was annoying to watch Anderson not throw punches and have his hands down. I cheered for weidman when he won I hate the way Anderson acted against another professional. Phone Post 3.0
7/9/13 1:12 PM
Wasa-B
320 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I disagree with Renzo.

I think Anderson's tactics COULD have worked had Weidman started getting confused more and more. I think he did momentarily pause his momentum to adjust to the clowning but i think the other side of the matter is that it was Anderson that was fading or just not at his best anymore and was getting beat from the get-go anyhow and could not get anything going.

Note that Ray Longo also said Chris stood in the pocket more than he preferred and that may have been riskier than necessary but at the end of the day, Weidman prevailed and executed so....
7/9/13 1:17 PM
Johnny D
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TheJudge - Fading? I must've been watching a different fight. I thought Weidman dealt with the taunting well and snapped Andy's neck back with that shot when he was leaning back in his exaggerated way. I guess he was fading when he continued to throw shots and was really fading when he leapt on him and bounced his head off the mat twice.

Renzo is spot on about many of his comments but I disagree with this facet.

This, fading ???? what the hell was he watching ??? almost as bad as hearing Roy Jones saying Silva won the first round, full on retard..... and then some.
7/9/13 1:42 PM
OzMafioso
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TheJudge - Fading? I must've been watching a different fight. I thought Weidman dealt with the taunting well and snapped Andy's neck back with that shot when he was leaning back in his exaggerated way. I guess he was fading when he continued to throw shots and was really fading when he leapt on him and bounced his head off the mat twice.

Renzo is spot on about many of his comments but I disagree with this facet.
This. Phone Post 3.0
7/9/13 1:53 PM
Soup and Beer
216 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

lol, go home Renzo.  You are drunk.

7/9/13 2:22 PM
Bisping decisioned my SN

JStrongMMA - Weidman wasn't fading..he was fine. I'm sure Anderson got into his head a bit but Chris looked very calm in there. Silva needed to take him seriously and he didn't. That's why he lost the way he did. Chris may have beaten him regardless but Silva's performance was embarassing. Phone Post
I concur sir Phone Post 3.0
7/9/13 2:23 PM
Bisping decisioned my SN

LETMEBANGBRO - Like I'm going to listen to Renzo. Weidman fan boys know much more about MMA.
We knew who was gonna win... That's all that matters bitch Phone Post 3.0
7/9/13 2:38 PM
Silverball
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JD85 - Renzo doesn't really sound that supportive of Chris. It's constantly about how great Anderson is and how he beat himself, and how "the boy" Chris was fading. Coaches usually don't talk about their pupils like that, at least not in America. Sounded like some of that Brazil bias got through.

He's keeping it real. Would you prefer that he put s a spin on it to make it appear that Weidman was just too good for Anderson, even though that's not what he observed cageside? It's Renzo Gracie, and I respect his opinion, even if I don't agree with it 100%.
7/9/13 3:15 PM
Chiron
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Renzo's just calling it how he saw it. Just because he was supporting Chris doesn't mean he should blind himself to what he really saw like so many Weidman fans or Anderson haters have been doing. As a Weidman fan, I was pulling for Chris too but I saw the same thing Renzo did. After Silva got up from that first TD and stuffed the rest you could tell Chris was going downhill and looking slow while Anderson looked fresh and could end it any time he wanted to. Had Anderson not started showboating like crazy he could've KO'd Weidman at will like he's done so many times before. Still, suffering a loss from choosing unwise tactics is all part of the fight.
7/9/13 3:18 PM
Fabefromfort

Weidman did slow down because you simply can't keep that pace up. He also said he still had health problems, and was sluggish from the layoff, which is one of the reasons Silva fought him in the first place. The other was Fertitta stepped in, and told Silva he had to fight Weidman. Silva did not want this fight. Anyways, imagine a sharp, in shape Weidman fighting. Here's what I saw in a nutshell, and pretty much what I thought as it went down. Weidman came out with heat on Silva right off, with every strike with bad intentions. He got Silva down and landed the first three blows ( downstrikes ), one of which Weidman said he saw Silva's eyes roll back in his head. They landed because noone has ever done this to Silva, and Weidman is good, and fast. He didn't expect it. You carry these punches with you for the rest of the night. I'm a fighter, I know. Your senses are dulled, your thoughts are foggy, and your reaction is off. Your punches lose power. Those three punches set up the rest of the night. Weidman let Silva slip away because he went for the early submission, and his timing and sharpness was off. No problem. He is fundamentally sound, fast, and powerful standing, with good defense there. When he moves, he takes his feet with him. He has balance and power, and transitions at all times is available, just like on the ground. He is not as flashy as Silva but is great at boxing. Silva was getting clocked standing, clowning or not clowning. I think Silva was getting hurt by jabs, not just the left hooks, and straight right hands. When he feigned hurt, I think he was hurt! Silva threw all the tricks in the book in the second. A last ditch effort. The pressure got to him. When he feigned lets do this fight over here , and summoned Weidman, it was to make light of the pressure, and, get a break from it. He literally panicked the more the fight went on. He was losing, and had nowhere to go, or nothing to turn to. He couldn't reach Weidman, who was also slipping the punches nicely, the ones that got there. Weidman is tall, and fast, Silva had trouble getting in range. Silva was getting back in it with the leg kicks, and dancing, but he, couldn,t keep that pace for the rest of the fight. Weidman's pressure would gas him. Silva knew that and when he stopped to fight he got caught. Silva's antics were a result of panic, and frustration. Noone has come after him to seperate him from his senses like this before, not even Sonnen.
7/9/13 3:21 PM
Chiron
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wonkamaster - Why the hell would Renzo say Weidman was fading?
I thought Weidman trained at Renzo's?

He does train Chris. Which is all the more reason to consider his point. A lot of fans and teammates of a fighter are going to fail to take their bias out of the judgment and instead will try to act like it was all that fighters way and exaggerate that fighters exploits while downplaying the opponent. Renzo's not doing that. He's just being honest about what he saw. I'm a Weidman fan and I'm glad he won but I saw the same thing.
7/9/13 3:43 PM
andre
464 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

hubbarocks - LOL! Obviously Renzo is sticking up for a fellow Brazilian to Brazilian press, anyone not in denial can see that. Weidman was the better fighter all around and was nowhere near fading.
This is exactly right. Phone Post 3.0
7/9/13 3:57 PM
Stephen Holder

andre - 
hubbarocks - LOL! Obviously Renzo is sticking up for a fellow Brazilian to Brazilian press, anyone not in denial can see that. Weidman was the better fighter all around and was nowhere near fading.

Yeah exactly like he was doggin Silva in the media two weeks out from the fight?
7/9/13 8:33 PM
andre
464 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Stephen Holder -
andre - 

Yeah exactly like he was doggin Silva in the media two weeks out from the fight?
Anyone who thinks Chris was fading has some kind of bias. Phone Post 3.0
7/9/13 8:41 PM
UGCTT_iPray2bLaidByWeidman

Jack Carter -
Pitbull3744 - 
E55 Pilot - Chris was NOT fading at all. Silva realized early on that he was not going to win and decided to try to change his tactic and clown instead of having to actually fight.

This.  Chris was taking his time and not getting caught in Silvas game, Silva threw punches and had nothing for Chris.  I know its hard to imagine someone being better that night then Silva but it happened and it happened in every way.  

People are so dumb. They think that because Chris wasn't falling for Silva's game that he was "fading"

Pura Vida is a prime example of such extreme stupidity.

Unless you're being sarcastic...Renzo probably knows more than any of us what Chris looks and acts like as he is fading. Phone Post
7/9/13 8:43 PM

andre -
Stephen Holder -
andre - 

And your logic tells you that the guy who has been helping Chris Wiedman train for this fight, and talked trash about Anderson leading up to the fight, has a bias favoring Anderson Silva and would be lying about his analysis?

Odd... Phone Post
7/9/13 8:48 PM
Lazer MMA

andre - 
Stephen Holder -
andre - 

It would have been cool for Renzo to give more detail as to what he saw exactly (without just making a comment and then talking about another fight). I do not agree with your last post prior BTW.

Having said that I have no clue what he thought he saw but IMO it was an illusion only.
7/9/13 9:02 PM

Chiron -
Wonkamaster - Why the hell would Renzo say Weidman was fading?
I thought Weidman trained at Renzo's?

He does train Chris. Which is all the more reason to consider his point. A lot of fans and teammates of a fighter are going to fail to take their bias out of the judgment and instead will try to act like it was all that fighters way and exaggerate that fighters exploits while downplaying the opponent. Renzo's not doing that. He's just being honest about what he saw. I'm a Weidman fan and I'm glad he won but I saw the same thing.
This Phone Post
7/9/13 9:03 PM

Lazer MMA -
andre - 
Stephen Holder -
andre - 

It would have been cool for Renzo to give more detail as to what he saw exactly (without just making a comment and then talking about another fight). I do not agree with your last post prior BTW.

Having said that I have no clue what he thought he saw but IMO it was an illusion only.
How was there an illusion? I had people over who had no bias at all, were casual fans, but all of them were or are athletes and all said he looked to be slowing down in the second. Like 5 of them. Phone Post
7/9/13 9:05 PM
orcus

Well something sure made him fail miserably on takedown attempts 2 and 3. 

7/9/13 9:21 PM
Lazer MMA

UGCTT_iPray2bLaidByWeidman - 
Lazer MMA -
andre - 
Stephen Holder -
andre - 

How was there an illusion? I had people over who had no bias at all, were casual fans, but all of them were or are athletes and all said he looked to be slowing down in the second. Like 5 of them. Phone Post

I'll rewatch it. As it was I was on the NJ coast for a damn wedding my daughter was in (flower girl) and was agitated that the brain surgeons putting it on were trying to break the world record for $$$ spent VS measuring the ounces of intestinal fortitude & pain inflicted on their guests (I'm guessing $1500 per guest including rehearsal dinner & reception is their bid). I barely made it to the bar in time to watch the fight after taking the time to go back to the hotel to 'peel off' my clothing and shower. So I really could have missed things under those circumstances. Or maybe your guest were just AS fans too and optimistic?
7/9/13 9:25 PM

My guests were people I just started working with again after 4 years away from Colorado.

Most were wrestlers, a couple baseball players too. None of them were "fans" of any of the fighters at all, just guys who like the sport and watch it casually. Phone Post
7/9/13 9:28 PM
Lazer MMA

BTW LMFAO @ SN!
7/9/13 9:44 PM
Stephen Holder

I'm not sayin Weidman didn't overcome the mental games most of Silva's opponents in the past fell victim to. The kid said he wasn't gonna fall for Silva's schtik and he didn't. He gets mad respect for that alone. To deny him that would be criminal. Equally rediculous would be to pretend as if Weidman lived up to the hype as some monster wrestler/bjj master/gnp sub machine that the long list of GSPs n Rashads proclaimed him to be. I didn't see it in that first round. Also as rediculous is not to acknowledge that once Silva realized how much Chris was overhyped he didn't start taunting (to a level we have NEVER before witnessed) and put himself in a position that left him so incredibly vulnerable you couldn't possibly consider Chris's win without an asterix.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.