UnderGround Forums

BJJGround Forum >> Advanced Basics DVDs

7/8/13 2:56 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
TBoy2
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I watched a couple of Kesting's "How to Defeat Bigger Stronger Opponents" by Brandon Mullins. I was impressed by how he uses basic techniques in competition. What I call Advanced Basics with extra details on making basic techniques work.

This reminded me of Carlos Machado's Infinite Jiu Jitsu, another highly recommended set.

I think most of like working on basics because we get to see the results of it working through sparring and competition. Unlike other traditional martial arts that don't spar.

Can any of you recommend other DVDs like the two I mentioned that show a great deal of attention to detail using Basic techniques?

And yes, I do have all the Ryan Hall DVDs which may not be all basics but they show great concepts on how things work.
7/9/13 4:14 PM
Royce Nelson
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Demian Maia's DVD are awesome! Phone Post
7/9/13 5:33 PM
TBoy2
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks, I'll have to check em out
7/9/13 8:44 PM
ninja316
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Margaridas DVDs are very basic. Saulos stuff. I'm hoping bj penn puts one out as well. I think he would have a nice outlook on stuff. Phone Post 3.0
7/10/13 1:02 PM
scrappy
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In general You can't go wrong with video instruction from:

Carlos Machado, Ryan Hall, Braulio Estima, Saulo Ribeiro, Rafa Mendes, Paul Schreiner, Demian Maia.

Whether the move is basic or advanced they do a good job explaining

7/10/13 1:16 PM
krept
74 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jason Scully has a lot of good conceptual stuff on Youtube.

The Gracie Combatives teaches basics with very good details that may help your understanding of the common techniques.

Xande and Saulo both have excellent sets that also teach from a more conceptual level.

As mentioned, Kesting and Maia's sets are great.

--

That said I think it's important to consider a greater perspective. As Scully said (paraphrasing) a single concept is easier to remember and easier to apply than a given technique. The video sets above tend to present more of a strategy, a foundation from which to approach the art, showing you how the concepts fit into the overall game.

As an example, a technique would be like "put your hands like this on his hips, bump and push" for a mount escape. The concept would be... "use your limbs to make a frame. You can use it in a lot of different situations, here it is used in a mount escape." The strategy would be "what you want to do on defense is to keep your limbs tight and make space that allows you to launch an escape. Framing is a key component because..."

The sets above tend to have the "bigger picture" approach that can really help supplement your in-person BJJ classes, which tend to be more showing techniques (like put your hands like this and push).

Finally, you should really look into Saulo's BJJ University book. Aside from the fact you can take it with you anywhere, it provides perhaps the best structure to learning BJJ that I have seen and that includes personal instruction as well as DVD sets.
7/10/13 5:43 PM
TBoy2

Thanks for all the feedback. I do have the Saulo Book and Gracie Combatives. I picked up good technical details from both.

krept, good point on concepts which I try to remember and connect to different positions. I am also looking for the small "Ah Ha" technical details that might work for me. Different people sometime make small changes to a technique and sometimes that small change really helps me in my game.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.