UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> DFW: Leben's fight style not healthy for him

7/8/13 3:48 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
924 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Going into UFC 162 Saturday night, Chris Leben had lost two in a row, and three of his last four. UFC president Dana White was asked before the fight if Leben would be cut if he lost.

“Leben is a f---ing warhorse," said White. This guy comes in and he's either going to kill or be killed. He's either going to knock you out or get knocked out, that's just his style.”

“Let's see what happens on Saturday. He's a kid that, no matter what he's doing, I want to keep him motivated, and make it so that every day when he gets out of bed he's a part of society, and has to have something to achieve or some goals. I always want that there for him. I don't even want to talk about cutting Chris Leben.”

The remarks come following 15 months of sobriety, following Leben's well-publicized struggles with alcohol dependency.

But Leben lost on Sat, by split decision, and the question of his future in the UFC again arose.

"His fight style isn't healthy for him, the way that he fights," said White. "He's getting up there in age, and the big layoffs don't help him either.

"I don't know... I've got to figure out what I think will be best for him, which people hate when I say that and do that."

"I want Leben to get up everyday and be part of society and have to do something, whether it's training or training other people, no matter what is. Chris Leben has the type of personality that can go off the deep very easily in a lot of negative ways. I really care about the kid. I like him a lot. I love him. So I've got to figure this thing out."

White said Leben texted him an apology after the fight.

"I love ya, kid," White responded.

Read entire article...

7/8/13 5:17 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Officer Farva
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I always look forward to a Leben fight. Win or lose, it's fun to watch

7/8/13 5:41 PM
buckshot44
51 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

HUGE fan of Leben.. will always love watching him fight.  He looked slow and tired in that fight.  I also questioned his strategy of going for the takedown early, it seemed to really take allot out of him. 

Really hope he bounces back.. WAR CAT SMASHER!!!

7/8/13 5:49 PM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
519 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think he may be washed up as a fighter. It'd be cool if they got him a job as a head trainer at a UFC Gym or something like that. Phone Post
7/8/13 5:54 PM
UK Asylum
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hes probably the slowest fighter in the UFC and has next to no striking defence.

If he doesnt win his next, he should call it a career.

(No knock on him, i like his attitude + fights)
7/8/13 6:46 PM
Alpha Chimp

i wonder if anyone has talked to Leben about Iboga treatment for opiate addiction?
there's a lot of documented success with it, if i was an addict and wanted to quit, id give it a shot - way better than being hooked on prescription drugs.
ive also heard its good for re-setting a lot of thought patterns which are not working in your favour, so if you want to turn your life round in general.
7/8/13 6:47 PM
Alpha Chimp

and the reason i made the above post is because Leben has a therapeutic exemption for pharmaceutical opiates at UFC 162 -
7/8/13 6:52 PM
Chaelismyhero

He seems to be a lot smaller than everybody else at 185. I think a drop to 170 would help,but then again weight cuts hurts your chin. Which Leben has relied on for the last 10 years.

It really is amazing that his chin is not completely cracked.
7/8/13 7:00 PM
8flat
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Leben really stepped up for the UFC when they needed him to fill in, I can't remember for sure, but he won back to back fights in 2 weeks time against Simpson and then Akiyama with extra OTN bonuses on each. THen a while later destroys Wandy. It's cool to see Dana say he's going to take care of him.
7/8/13 7:06 PM
NomoRomophobia
207 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I like Leben alot.
He is just not with the top of the pack.
I still like him tho. Phone Post 3.0
7/8/13 7:07 PM
voorhees

ChokeEmOut -  Let Wanderlei decapitate him next so he can erase the disgrace of losing to someone like Leben. Phone Post

why would you say this?
7/8/13 7:23 PM
HeHitsMeBecauseHeLovesMe

I will be extremely bummed if Leben is cut. He was my original favorite fighter, back in 05 when I was 15/16 y/o. If I could credit any 1 fighter, with getting me into MMA (which has been a big part of my life, for a large portion of it) it would definitely be Leben.

It may sound really cliche. But, Chris is responsible for changing my life, more than he will ever know. I started watching at the end of 04, when I was 15. Since that time, literally everything in my life has changed, besides my love for mma.

Everything aside, Leben will go down as my all time favorite fighter. Phone Post
7/8/13 8:15 PM
TexasBadAss
61 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He seems to need to be the type of guy who needs to have responsibility doing something. I hope he finds a good gym to train younger fighters or sometype of Burt Watson role with the UFC. Saw him interact with fans once and he just seemed to be such a good guy.
7/8/13 8:40 PM
Roy Batty
137 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think he'd be better on commentary than a lot of guys they've used on the Fox and FX broadcasts; dude's got a natural charisma and enthusiasm that make for good TV.
7/9/13 6:55 AM
Mattapooh
36 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'd like to see him in a position to tell stories like the ones Chael mentioned on the Rogan podcast awhile back. Apparently Leben is loaded with the most insane, hilarious stories about his crazy upbringing so combining that with his current struggles would make him a great inspirational figure for a lot of people.
7/9/13 8:00 AM
Steve4192
199 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Roy Batty - I think he'd be better on commentary than a lot of guys they've used on the Fox and FX broadcasts; dude's got a natural charisma and enthusiasm that make for good TV.

Agreed.

I think he would be great either cageside announcing or sitting at the desk in the pre/post-show. I would assume they have some air-time opening up now that Dominick Cruz is able to train again. I doubt he'll want to carry the same broadcasting workload when he is preparing for a fight. Let Leben take some of the burden off Dom.
7/9/13 8:06 AM
Bobby Lupo
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Let Sakara get his rematch with Leben in a Euro show. 

7/9/13 9:24 AM
Roy Batty
137 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bobby Lupo - 

Let Sakara get his rematch with Leben in a Euro show. 

Sakara's gonna avenge all his losses! It will take him into 2015, but, darn it, he's gonna do it!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.