UnderGround Forums

BJJGround Forum >> I hate one round wonders (another rant)

7/9/13 1:08 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
checkuroil
254 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You know the guy. He goes balls out for the first round. Then he has no gas to roll for the rest of the night so he heads home.

Meanwhile I'm pacing for seven rounds of seven minutes, so I don't care to match his fury. Phone Post 3.0
7/9/13 1:18 AM
Randy Marsh
150 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Agreed. They generally only play their "A game" as well and treat that match like it is a Mundial finals match. Phone Post
7/9/13 2:34 AM
TristanESP
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

These guys usually show up right as warm ups are about to end. Phone Post
7/9/13 6:45 AM
Neal Zumbro
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Cook' em with a guard pass and strong top control. If they roll like its the final of worlds then stall like its the first round of a long tournament. Phone Post
7/9/13 6:47 AM
Twizz
38 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What about the guys who show up halfway through open mat? They wait until everyone has been rolling hard for a half hour, then mosey on in and come at everyone. Phone Post 3.0
7/9/13 7:12 AM
PointyShinyBurn
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't care. They're gimping their own training while presenting me with the valid training scenario (long tournament bracket, injury, inferior gas tank) of an opponent going balls out while I have to pace myself.

Similar to 90% of the shit people complain about in BJJ, really.
7/9/13 7:54 AM
Hunter V
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

up to the instructor to curb that behavior.
7/9/13 8:36 AM
Akston
41 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

People are allowed to leave class after one roll? No one sits out for any rolls at our gym Phone Post
7/9/13 9:04 AM
JasonGV
49 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Not unusual, don't much care myself. They tend to duck people that will give them trouble so they'll likely start dodging you soon as well since they're hamstringing their own progress.

Watch out for the hyenas though. Their a more sneaky version. They'll stick around the night but skulk around the mats "stretching", or "drilling", or just train straight shit talking when you ask them to roll. But like the noble hyena, they'll pounce on someone when they look tired. Especially people that give them trouble that are at the same belt, or one higher.
7/9/13 9:09 AM
JoejitsuMD
69 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It is a little bit annoying, but doesn't bother me much. Like some of the above posters I think that if it doesn't affect my training and how I train personally doesn't matter much to me. They are only hurting themselves and their own progress. Phone Post
7/9/13 10:32 AM
GrahamJ
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If they only roll for one round, then how good are they gonna be...?

Can't be that hard to school them - even if you're not as fresh as them.
7/9/13 10:49 AM
vegard
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I call them TMT -- two minutes of terror.

After that, they are done.

They're also doing you a favor.

Not everyone needs to roll boring, slow, technical all the time.
7/9/13 10:52 AM
kungfugrip

guess I never really noticed these guys, my focus was on my training. There are worlds of shit heads in the world, why waste your time noticing them?
7/9/13 11:59 AM
Eazy08
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Honestly imo i would roll with him and match his intensity every day. My method is if you do that everyday and get tired after the first round and you have 6 more seven minute rounds after a period you're cardio is going to be sick like where you can go all seven minute rounds 100% without being tired.
7/9/13 12:12 PM
John Frankl
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hunter nailed it.

Of course you should hate these tools, but the instructor is the real problem.

The student should be corrected once or twice, then asked to leave if unable or unwilling to "get it."
7/10/13 10:47 AM
Sugarfoot
135 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've been "guilty" of this before. However its usually after two hours of drilling/training, then by open mat, Im tired, hungry and just want a shower. So I will roll with few guys I trust, always higher rank than me, and leave when I'm spent. F the rules! Phone Post 3.0
7/10/13 11:09 AM
FirstScratch
52 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's annoying, but I don't pay too much attention to it. People like that either learn to pace themselves and focus their rolling or they usually don't last long. It seems to work itself out. I'm not really in a position to really point fingers at anyone anyway. I have a serious injury that I've been delaying getting surgery for so I try to limit how many rounds I put in each night and I usually only roll with experienced guys I trust. It definitely limits my progress, but I'm just trying to get in whatever training I can at this point without living in total agony. Phone Post
7/10/13 11:33 AM
Daniel/CGJJ
37 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The hyena is the worst kind of jiu jitsu player.

Aside from the Lloyders, of course Phone Post 3.0
7/10/13 12:38 PM
checkuroil
254 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It affects me because I have less training partners Phone Post 3.0
7/10/13 1:12 PM
EazyG

CUO -

Dude - you are really good and big, right? You may get better rolling from you partners this way. If you are better than most, wouldnt you like to get some more intense efforts from some guys to push you sometimes?

There are some better guys that probably prefer to roll with me when I am fresh as I offer them more than when I am tired out. But I may actually ask them so its an shared understanding.

Though conceptually I certainly see you point. It does seem like 'poor socialization skills'. It would seem douchey if that is the only way they can beat you, and they consciously play that strategy repeatedly.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.