UnderGround Forums

BJJGround Forum >> Favorite BJJ drills to warm up?

7/9/13 9:51 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Hugh Jaynus
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In the thread about "toxic attributes for a BJJ gym", a lot of people voiced that their favorite warm ups are BJJ partner drills. I think I've been exposed to a fair amount, but what are some of your favorites?

Jason Scully has a video showing lots of them, but not really in detail or how long/fast to do them.

Some of my favorites are butterfly guard lifts, side to side armbars from guard, x-pass drills, and a cyclical drill using bridge reversals from side control.

What are some that you like? Any good order you like to do them in?
7/9/13 10:27 AM
SC MMA MD
244 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I like the side to side arm bars as well, and side to side triangles (just shoot the triangle, don't finish), standing guard passes (hands on their knees, pass left and then right to practice footwork, standing leg drags alternating sides. Usually do each drill for a minute and then switch with partner. Helps muscle memory and to get me warmed up and loose Phone Post 3.0
7/9/13 12:18 PM
On the Mat
157 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Owner, On the Mat
Pete the Greek has the best BJJ Drills.
7/9/13 12:23 PM
MurdochIRL
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

On the Mat - Pete the Greek has the best BJJ Drills.
I would bet a lot of them are from his time at Osvaldo's. He has some amazing drills. Phone Post 3.0
7/9/13 12:32 PM
deepu
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

On the Mat - Pete the Greek has the best BJJ Drills.

Details?
7/9/13 12:34 PM
JoejitsuMD
68 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

. Phone Post
7/9/13 2:29 PM
demandango
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In Phone Post 3.0
7/9/13 3:38 PM
TrappeBier
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In Phone Post
7/9/13 3:45 PM
Muffinho
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Buy Andre Galvao's book, Drill To Win. Go through the entire thing.
7/9/13 4:10 PM
CodeGeek
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Usually I just lay on the mat and work up a sweat wondering what I'm going to injure next.
7/9/13 4:14 PM
mikeshort06
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Leg drags, leg drags, leg drags. Phone Post
7/9/13 4:46 PM
Rival School
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

deepu -

Details?
. Phone Post 3.0
7/9/13 4:47 PM
PTM2020
1004 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

SC MMA MD - I like the side to side arm bars as well, and side to side triangles (just shoot the triangle, don't finish), standing guard passes (hands on their knees, pass left and then right to practice footwork, standing leg drags alternating sides. Usually do each drill for a minute and then switch with partner. Helps muscle memory and to get me warmed up and loose Phone Post 3.0

question about this.

don't you always make the last rep a finish.  same with the pass drill, last rep is a full pass.

i guess it doesn't really matter, I've seen both ways at different schools.

7/9/13 5:03 PM
SC MMA MD
244 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

We don't always make the last rep a finish in class, but when we are fooling around before an open mat or an off day there is a very good chance that one of the arm bars or triangles etc is going to be attempted to be finished- but we avoid goofing off like that during actual class Phone Post 3.0
7/9/13 5:25 PM
Hywel Teague
234 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BJJ Hacks, free Arte Suave videos, Direct from Rio
deepu -

Details?
YouTube Osvaldo Alves and Fredson Paixao demoing the drills at a seminar in Japan. Phone Post 3.0
7/9/13 5:29 PM
Hugh Jaynus
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adOueUoWS4Q

yeah?
7/9/13 7:56 PM
Hywel Teague
234 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dats da one
7/10/13 12:47 PM
Randy Marsh
146 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

7/10/13 1:03 PM
deepu
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks Hywel! Great vid!!
7/10/13 1:17 PM
Hywel Teague

Dennis Asche is also big on drilling, here's an old video of him demoing the main moves he uses as his warm up drills

7/10/13 2:21 PM
Hywel Teague

Here's a vid of Dennis doing the drills full speed - starts about a min in

7/10/13 11:19 PM
shin2chin
120 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Those drills above are pretty much the ones i like to use.

I picked em up training at Tri-Force in Japan.
4/23/14 6:25 PM
Randy Marsh
146 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt

4/24/14 10:32 AM
Matthew Godden
45 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Black Belt, Buffalo, NY

He posted a few on youtube.

If you put out a PTG drills dvd I'd buy it!

4/24/14 11:38 AM
carcaju
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

God damn it, I gas out just thinking of the warmups we did in the gringo class with Dennis. I think the only one that gave him a run for his money was Toco at Nova Geracao. I picked a great day to climb Pedra da Gavea then attend one of his classes!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.