UnderGround Forums

Revgear League BJJGround >> Forget to Breath While Rolling: Help!!!!

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

7/9/13 2:38 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Mark Hunter
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've been training for just over a year, and am a blue belt. My knowledge of technique is getting better, but I gas too f#ckin' quickly because I forget to breath when the roll gets intense. It's been happening for months, and I'm really starting to get frustrated.

There are a lot of high level guys BJJ guys on this Forum, and I'm wondering if anyone can give me some guidance on how to do the common-sense thing of breathing while I roll. HELP!!!!!!!!!
7/9/13 2:50 PM
Muffinho
43 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I know some guys when they compete, their coach tells them to breath (Lucas Lepri still does this).

In general, you need to learn to relax and not hold. It's easy to say, hard to do. In your head, even if it's a hard roll, it's just a roll and being more relaxed will help you breath and also help your technique advance.

You don;t ever want to be too tight in bjj. The whole "be like water", "flow with the go" thing applies. Too much tension is easily exploited.
7/9/13 2:56 PM
SC MMA MD
532 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I was taught to intentionally breathe out while rolling, your body will force you to breathe in. We actually would roll while making a sh-sh-shhhh sound to emphasize the point. It helped me tons. Phone Post 3.0
7/9/13 3:04 PM
cdog1955
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You know how when you roll you will tell yourself, i am just going to concentrate on defense, or i am just going to concentrate on sweeps?

well do the same for breathing, during this roll i am just going to concentrate on breathing. Build a habit on breathing.
7/9/13 3:33 PM
MTH
157 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Short but good write-up on breathing in BJJ by Roger Gracie black belt Nic Gregoriades: http://jiujitsubrotherhood.com/2007/07/control-your-breathing/

7/9/13 3:38 PM
Furacao
103 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Learn to SWIM effectively and add it as a supplement to your BJJ training. It will help immensely with controlling breathing while rolling.

Roll like you swim, use smooth breathing & technique otherwise you gas / drown.

7/9/13 6:34 PM
219 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

talk to yourself
7/9/13 9:39 PM
pennviachoke
1448 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

As a very very new white belt..this is the most frustrating thing I do wrong. I don't expect to know moves, drills etc...but I do expect to know how to breathe. In for more great answers/advice Phone Post
7/9/13 9:47 PM
mbalz izhairy
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Rickson does the shoo shoo shoo for this very reason..
7/9/13 9:49 PM
jrv
38 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Put a piece of athletic tape around your wrist, write "breathe" on it, wear it while you roll. Great way to remind you to breathe. Remind yourself until it becomes second nature Phone Post 3.0
7/9/13 10:27 PM
markus
39 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

SC MMA MD - I was taught to intentionally breathe out while rolling, your body will force you to breathe in. We actually would roll while making a sh-sh-shhhh sound to emphasize the point. It helped me tons. Phone Post 3.0

this....

easy to inhale....when you breath out, 10-15 short exhales..making that sh-sh-sh sound. keeps the fresh oxygen in your body longer. stops you from panting like a dog. helps you think more clear. breathing is thinking is relaxing.
7/9/13 11:01 PM
sebastard
54 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Like everyone else said, focus on getting it out, don't focus on getting it in. Learning to breathe properly increased my stamina by a huge amount almost overnight. So whenever you sense yourself tensing, use that tension to force the air _OUT_ of your body. Violently if you must. The harder I work, the more sharply I exhale.

So, very simple, just sssh-shhh-shooooooo, the more tired you get, the harder you should exhale. The next big thing is to learn proper diaphragmatic breathing, i.e. don't breathe with your chest but draw it in from your diaphragm and push it out from your diaphragm. If you have any vocalist friends they can show you how (or youtube it).

You can drill this on your couch ;) I can't even breathe any other way now. It's also hugely beneficial for any sort of intense cardio work you might do outside of BJJ. I never get that "omg I'm sucking in air for dear life" feeling anymore even on intense circuit work.

I'm always surprised teaching proper breathing technique is not part of the standard curriculum at most schools.
7/10/13 9:56 AM
blackmonkey

breathe
7/10/13 11:20 AM
CodeGeek
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"I'm always surprised teaching proper breathing technique is not part of the standard curriculum at most schools."

Indeed.

I struggled with breathing for a long time too, along with generally holding a lot of tension while I trained. It took me a long time and conscious effort to reverse this habit, so don't be too hard on yourself. Just keep reminding yourself every time you train, and especially while you're rolling.

Learning proper breathing is a process, not something you just do. Always try to inhale through your nose and exhale through your mouth. And don't over inflate your lungs. Just breath to the point of slight tension then release. If you need more air, increase the pace of your breathing.

"The next big thing is to learn proper diaphragmatic breathing"

Yep, I think of it as "belly breathing"
7/10/13 11:33 AM
pennviachoke
1448 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

We do breathing exercises in Wednesdays during competition class but very little the other days I go. I guess I should be doing this shit at home too. Phone Post
7/10/13 11:37 AM
mrgoodarmbar
163 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think that initially a lot of it comes from fear of being put in bad positions. Secondarily it's about changing pace or being explosive with speed or strength (like weightlifting)

So maybe you could break it down into those 2 categories and work on each one. Start with bad positions. Make sure that you're not nervous or feeling claustrophobic. Try always have good frames which allows your diaphragm to expand and breathe. Get a nice calm state of mind where you are aware that you can breathe easily. Then work your escapes with good technique.... no mad scrambles or strength based moves that compromise your ability to frame and breathe.

Then start working on your explosive passing, etc. which is more just a matter of focus... You need make sure that your pace of breathing is disconnected from your pace of movement.

7/10/13 12:17 PM
biggator
46 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07/10/13 1:34 PM
Dub
7/10/13 1:33 PM
biggator
46 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yoga. It teaches stying calm relaxed and balanced in awkward positions and breathing technique.

7/10/13 6:25 PM
Mark Hunter
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks to everyone for the input. I begin every session by telling myself, "remember to breath." I start out OK and then, before long, I stop concentrating and start holding my breath unconsciously. I think it happens when I start concentrating too much.
7/10/13 7:51 PM
Alumynabjj

Mark Hunter - I've been training for just over a year, and am a blue belt. My knowledge of technique is getting better, but I gas too f#ckin' quickly because I forget to breath when the roll gets intense. It's been happening for months, and I'm really starting to get frustrated.

There are a lot of high level guys BJJ guys on this Forum, and I'm wondering if anyone can give me some guidance on how to do the common-sense thing of breathing while I roll. HELP!!!!!!!!!
I practice my breathing every time we practice technique. It's a skill like everything else and I bet you are holding your breathe then also yet don't notice.it as its not as taxing. Phone Post
7/10/13 11:54 PM
The Ghost Of Swayze
66 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mark Hunter - Thanks to everyone for the input. I begin every session by telling myself, "remember to breath." I start out OK and then, before long, I stop concentrating and start holding my breath unconsciously. I think it happens when I start concentrating too much.

Change your mantra to "Remember to EXHALE". Make a little noise when you exhale if you have to. The inhaling will obviously come naturally.
7/11/13 12:46 AM
219 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mark Hunter - Thanks to everyone for the input. I begin every session by telling myself, "remember to breath." I start out OK and then, before long, I stop concentrating and start holding my breath unconsciously. I think it happens when I start concentrating too much.

it is impossible to hold your breath when talking, narrate the roll
7/11/13 2:43 AM
GARRA
44 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I did this at and blue a lot, almost never at purple and I don't think I do it at all now at Brown. Focus and practice is key, same as any other aspect of your game. If its an issue focus on it until it isn't anymore. Phone Post
7/11/13 10:29 AM
uberpinscher
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

pennviachoke - As a very very new white belt..this is the most frustrating thing I do wrong. I don't expect to know moves, drills etc...but I do expect to know how to breathe. In for more great answers/advice Phone Post
Belly breathing too - use your stomach, push all the air out, and draw it all in with your diaphragm/ abs, make it intentional - even just start by doing that for ten breaths in a row when ever you think of it. It's something you can do anywhere

It's not easy to do and you will get lightheaded sometimes but like everything else theirs you do it the more control you will develop

Good luck:) Phone Post 3.0
7/11/13 11:41 AM
mrgoodarmbar
163 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't know about the belly breathing part. When I'm on bottom I'm always keeping my ab muscles pretty solid. Nothing like someone jumping into knee on belly and taking the wind out of your sails.

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.