UnderGround Forums

Scott Sonnon >> Review of Fisticuffs!

4/21/02 2:58 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
nowaydo
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 21-Apr-02

Could some please give a review of Fisticuffs..."Vol 2 - Weaponizing Your Architecture", specifically? It sounds very good. Am I right in reading that it's about work in the clinch? What makes it different than what is currently out there? Is it fitting for someone with a greco and Muay Thai background? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks, Robert
4/21/02 3:00 AM
nowaydo

Oh, I am puchasing it, no matter what. I just want to know what to expect.
4/21/02 1:34 PM
Sonnon

Robert, What's "out there" from what I understand comprises an eclectic approach to seeking techniques to work within the clinch, while extracting various clinch formats from different styles of personal combat. FISTICUFFS Weaponizing Architecture presents the unique ROSS perspective on: 1. striking for control with unorthodox methods. 2. efficient flow from one controlling position to the next; understanding the dynamic connection between balance, rythm and timing. 3. and most importantly deconstructing the myth of rote technique; don't seek techniques, don't try to access techniques, don't try to impose techniques. CREATE techniques. In time, this last item shall be the grass roots revolution to which my coaching has been dedicated for years. Like the opposition encountered by JKD to the notion of absorbing useful techniques and discarding superfluous, the next evolutionary advance shall be made by ROSS, in that there are no rote techniques, if one is empowered to spontaneously CREATE relevant, effecitive, and personalized technical solutions to any conflict engagement. If you don't get FLOW STATE PERFORMANCE SPIRAL, you're missing the complete system that I present in crafting FISTICUFFS. Fraternal, Scott Sonnon
4/21/02 2:47 PM
nowaydo

That is exactly the mentality I use when I grapple on the ground. Thanks to Tony Cecchine, I was shown how to flow into submissions, rather than be attached to certain techniques. He refers to it as "Jazz music"(improvisational) in that you take what is given, rather than "Classical music" where you have to play it like it is from a sheet of music, the same way others have played it a million times. You look at limbs and say "how can I best destroy it" rather than saying, "I going for a kimura or armlock". That philosopy has given my groundfighting a rebirth. I would love to bring that philosophy to my feet. I have tools, but no set foundation for what I wish to accomplish. Oddly enough, JKD was suppose to satiate this need, but it's still taught in somewhat a box in this area. I'm hoping I can find what I seek here. I'd love to hear from people who have invested in the program. Robert
4/21/02 6:59 PM
ajn

I got the series about 3 weeks ago. I've only been able to watch it twice due to work pressures, but ... As usual, there's a HUGE amount of info presented here. And like most other series, it's more designed to give you directions for further exploration rather than question and answer. Some topics covered are: * More biomechanical exercises, not dissimilar to GTB but different again, and with an emphasis more developing attributes for pugilism rather than groundwork * Use of bodily weapons in non-standard and non-techniquified ways, building on attributes developed by the exercises. This is mainly upper body weapons, though no doubt a detailed treatment of the lower architecture would have added at least one more tape to the series * There IS quite a lot of excellent stuff on the standing clinch and grapple, which I found very useful as my background is kickboxing and BJJ with little of this material * IMO the main thrust of the series is developing, maintaining, and regaining the psychophysiological attitude which allows you to stay in the optimal performance zone during combat, while imposing pschophysiological distress on your opponent so he is caught in the downward spiral of performance. As usual, Scott manages to explain complex concepts in concrete terms in ways many other good martial artists do intuitively but somehow seem to find impossible to articulate. Like my other ROSS purchases, IMHO thought-provoking, inspiring and fascinating. Also, the new-look Scott does look more professional, but I do kind of miss the ponytail and beard ;)
4/21/02 9:49 PM
nowaydo

ajn, Thanks very much! I truly appreciate your time and depth!
4/22/02 7:27 PM
ajn

Edited: 22-Apr-02
Actually, NWD, I should have read your post in more detail - I skipped over the part where you were specifically asking about tape 2 of the series. This includes the delivery of multiple blows while in continuous motion and without regard to specific techniques or targets, including detailed treatment of non-standard use of various surfaces of the elbow and forearm, use of the "wave" and "casting" blows with multiple joints as opposed to "striking" or "whipping", exploiting the opp's fear-reactivity and "density", non-intentional striking, hitting "trigger points", and the material on strategies in the clinch, inlcuding effective application and escaping/reversal, including insertion of the aforementioned non-standard striking. The tape builds on and makes practical application of the exercises from tape 1, and touches on and leads into the "performance spiral" material in tapes 3 and 4. I would imagine it fitting into MT or greco quite well, though some of the most effective tactics might result in blows that might be illegal under some competition rules. That said, I believe this would definitely improve your game in both ring and street.
4/22/02 8:20 PM
nowaydo

Edited: 22-Apr-02
Believe me, my ring days are over! I don't play by any rules anymore...unless I'm training. This really sounds like the missing piece to my puzzle or rather the adhesive to pull it all together. Great review, thanks! Robert
5/2/02 2:12 PM
Renshi

Edited: 02-May-02
I just bought it. Ill let you know.
5/9/02 11:56 AM
Renshi

Edited: 09-May-02
Scott, what made you change to the sleek sexy look;)
5/9/02 2:18 PM
Sonnon

Edited: 09-May-02
Renshi, I look forward to your review, but please don't call me sexy - it scares me.
5/10/02 2:00 PM
Renshi

Edited: 10-May-02
lol

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.