UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Weidman: Silva 'realized he couldn't hurt me'

7/10/13 10:28 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
crzyJenks
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

DanGold - 
crzyJenks - 

Before the fight Chris says Anderson is great but he feels confident that he's going to win the fight and he has the tools.   Then people say enough of this kid, he's so cocky, arrogant, etc.

When him and Anderson stood face to face for the first time so many people wrote how Chris looks scared.

Then the fight happens and he did exactly what he said he was going to do.  He showed no fear against the most devastating striker mma has seen.  He went for a dangerous submission rather than just try to grind out a  decision.  It would have been easy for anyone to get caught up in Andersons games after that, lose composure and lose the fight.  Weidman pressed forward and played Andersons game and won.  Now he talks about beating the GOAT after coming out with no damage and anything he says means he's arrogant.

He said Anderson can't hurt him. Can't. Not didn't. That's a pretty arrogant statement to make considering Anderson didn't really throw anything hard.

I understand what you are saying, I don't think chris thinks anderson is uncapable of hurting him.  But I do not like the fact that people are just shitting on his win over Anderson.  Now it's Anderson was just toying with him.

Truthfully I think when Anderson was down on his back he took some good shots and even the heel hook looked a little scary.  I don't think he wanted to be there anymore.  So he did what Anderson does and he tried getting into his head.  Try to break him, make him feel like he didn't deserve to be in there.

But it didn't work, and I think Weidman deserves some respect for that.  If you guys think it's easy to stand in there with that man and not break down from that shit you gotta be outta your mind.  It was the same "arrogant" attitude that everyone was blasting weidman for that made him believe in himself that he could win.

7/10/13 10:38 AM
FightFanUK
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Unbelievable that anderson fans are calling Chris the arrogant one. DanGold -

7/10/13 10:38 AM
Stea1th
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's obvious a lot of people are a bit butthurt about anderson losing and that's understandable. What's not is trying to make it seem like weidman is full of himself when he isn't I think people are confusing weidman's condifidence with arrogence. 

1. Drop names out of context.

The name-dropper is a character who frequents many local Chamber of Commerce mixers. Name-droppers are a dime a dozen. Completely unsolicited, they will jabber endlessly about who they know, who they met and who they pal around with. As a journalist, I interview many great business leaders, one of whom was Starbucks CEO Howard Schultz. Bringing up his name in a presentation about leadership is appropriate; talking about Schultz with a barista at my local Starbucks is arrogant.

2. Avoid eye contact.

Arrogant people could care less about others. They're only interested in themselves. The arrogant person will constantly be looking past you for someone else to talk to — someone they think will benefit them more than you. Confident leaders look you in the eye and make you feel as though you're the most important person in the room.

3. Arrive consistently late to meetings … and don't apologize.

Arrogant people think their time is more important than anybody else's. Being late means nothing to them. Confident leaders are timely and quick to apologize when they're off schedule.

4. Use condescending phrases and put-downs.

Some well-known business leaders have been known to put down others with phrases like “that's stupid” or “you're a bozo.” These particular leaders are supremely confident, of course, but they've crossed the line into arrogance. I worked for one famous broadcast executive who routinely demeaned his employees and colleagues. Before long there was a massive brain drain from his department. He was bright; ambitious; and yes, confident. But his arrogance turned so many people off that he lost the loyalty of his team (and ultimately his position).

5. Strut or swagger when you walk into a room.

The best way to describe arrogant body language is “dominating.” Examples include pointing a finger at someone's chest, hands on hips or waving someone off with a flick of the finger. Confidence is open and less intimidating.

7/10/13 10:39 AM
Stea1th

6. Interrupt conversations … frequently.

Since arrogant people are only concerned about themselves, they're not really listening to you. Not only are they always on the lookout for someone else to talk to, they interrupt the conversation frequently.

7. Have an answer for everything.

Psychologists say that arrogance is a compensation for insecurities and weaknesses. An arrogant person will rarely say, “I don't know the answer, but I'll find out.” Confident people admit mistakes and learn something from those experiences.

8. Always one-up the other person.

The other day I was speaking to someone who has a reputation for arrogance, and I noticed a common theme in his conversation with me — he always tried to one-up everything I said. For example, when the conversation turned to a documentary that I had recently seen on sharks, this man said, “That's nothing, I swim with sharks.” This trait in arrogant people is so common that the famous Dilbert cartoon strip has a recurring character named “Topper.” Confident people don't feel the need to brag. Their accomplishments do it for them.

9. Blast competitors.

Arrogant people can't see the strengths in their competitors, and if they do, they seek to minimize those competitors by bad-mouthing them. This simply makes the arrogant person look even smaller. I recently overheard a woman talking to a recruiter and saying vicious things about her former company as well as other companies in the industry. The recruiter listened patiently. When the woman left, I leaned over and asked the recruiter what he thought. He simply rolled his eyes. Take the high road so you don't get the eye roll.

10. Blame someone else.

Arrogant people can't 'fess up to their own mistakes. Watch "America's Next Top Model" with Tyra Banks. The most arrogant young wannabes are the ones who blame others for not taking a good photograph — it's either the fault of the photographer or the makeup artist. Needless to say, they don't last long, even in an industry that has more than its share of divas.

Some famous business leaders are unquestionably arrogant — people about whom you may have heard or for whom you work. But the vast majority of inspiring leaders are confident, not arrogant. Be a leader

7/10/13 10:44 AM
ortman166

Trying to convince himself it wasn't a fluke IMO. Phone Post 3.0
7/10/13 10:45 AM
MEOWticket
249 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

*sigh* Phone Post
7/10/13 10:47 AM
ortman166

IMO Anderson got his timing down on the tdd and wanted to embarrass the shit out of Weidman and ended up embarrassing himself instead. Be happy with how things turned out dont talk more bullshit after the fight. Smh Phone Post 3.0
7/10/13 10:48 AM
Haulport

Kinkle - Most idiots will say he is simply talking shit, but from watching the fight closely it makes perfect sense. Silva seemed rattled, and desperate, It could've definitely been from how confident Weidman was.

He is talking shit but I felt everything he said was true WHILE I was watching the fight. All the "clowning" on Anderson's part was nervousness and the realization that he had to get Weidman out of his gameplan because he was in trouble.

7/10/13 10:50 AM
Ironhouse
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What he said is more of how I saw it. AS first felt mad and disrespected by fighters picking Chris, then takedown made him rage like he did with Bonner (plus Chris landed some nice shots), then he tried to bate Chris but Chris stayed tight and kept coming forward like a tank. At that point I think AS thought it would take some extreme taunting to get Christ to open up for a counter and well we saw how that worked.
7/10/13 10:54 AM
Nonlinear

It's true, Weidman had/has good head movement or Silva is getting old or both.

7/10/13 10:56 AM
ChucoV
49 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

DanGold -
Bisping decisioned my SN - 
DanGold - "Can't" is not the same as "didn't".

Between the arrogance and the God squaddery, Weidman is going to be shooting up the Official Ronda Rousey Annoyingness Ratings in no time.

I agree but mainly to the silva fans.

Unless this becomes a every week thing, then it will start to get a little annoying. But he is the champ, he did just defeat the GOAT so he has earned the right to say whatever he wants...

I would agree to an extent, but it was a bizarre fight and to act like Weidman did everything right and beat the best Anderson Silva he could beat is untrue IMO.

It doesn't belittle the achievement, but Weidman is basically talking like he's Bones post Shogun, rather than Serra post GSP.
Lol @ he didn't beat the best Anderson Silva. Phone Post
7/10/13 10:56 AM
UGCTT_iPray2bLaidByWeidman

DanGold -
Kinkle - He COULDN'T hurt him in their last fight. That was also my conclusion during the fight. Silva got desperate because he couldn't connect any significant strike on Weidman, at the end of the first Weidman was showboating, taking face shots, and came out unscathed.. Also about 10 seconds before Silva was KO'd, he had a hold of Weidman's arm, threw a front kick (very similar to the one that KO'd Vitor), and it completely miss. I thought Silva was obviously frustated and that is when he started to taunt Weidman, to get him to engage, and rush in, to get caught by Silva's legendary counterstrikes, it obviously did not work out that way......

I am sorry that you have no clue what is actually going on during the fight, so keep calling Weidman arrogant & annoying, the people who actually know what's going on will continue laughing at you.

At no point did Anderson throw punches or kicks that looked dangerous. He seemed to be content backing Weidman up, or letting Weidman headbutt his strikes rather than actually trying to hit him. Weidman didn't face a proper strike from Anderson at all, so the idea that Anderson can't hurt him is pretty preposterous. He didn't, obviously, but to say that he couldn't given the ridiculous showboating and tomfoolery he displayed is naive and arrogant on Weidman's part, and shows a lack of analysis on yours.

By the way your English is tremendous for a second language, where are you from?
To be fair, Anderson the the "vitor frontkick" about 3 seconds before the KO. He did throw a few dangerous strikes. Phone Post
7/10/13 11:00 AM
Marketing guy

Kinkle - 
DanGold - 
crzyJenks - 

Before the fight Chris says Anderson is great but he feels confident that he's going to win the fight and he has the tools.   Then people say enough of this kid, he's so cocky, arrogant, etc.

When him and Anderson stood face to face for the first time so many people wrote how Chris looks scared.

Then the fight happens and he did exactly what he said he was going to do.  He showed no fear against the most devastating striker mma has seen.  He went for a dangerous submission rather than just try to grind out a  decision.  It would have been easy for anyone to get caught up in Andersons games after that, lose composure and lose the fight.  Weidman pressed forward and played Andersons game and won.  Now he talks about beating the GOAT after coming out with no damage and anything he says means he's arrogant.

He said Anderson can't hurt him. Can't. Not didn't. That's a pretty arrogant statement to make considering Anderson didn't really throw anything hard.

Couldn't does not equal can't. Couldn't is past tense, where did Weidman say that Anderson would not be able to hurt him in the rematch? Weidman was simply discussing their first fight, where Silva COULDN'T hurt him.

Might want to rethink that last one

could (kd)
aux.v. Past tense of can

could·n't (kdnt)
Contraction of could not.

can 1 (kn; kn when unstressed)
aux.v. Past tense could (kd)
a. Used to indicate physical or mental ability: I can carry both suitcases. Can you remember the war?
b. Used to indicate possession of a specified power, right, or privilege: The President can veto congressional bills.
c. Used to indicate possession of a specified capability or skill:
7/10/13 11:03 AM
Pompei
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Not sure what some of you were watching... I saw Silva dance his title away to a guy that was clearly gassing out, stiffening up and losing confidence up until he caught Silva on the button.

To all of you talking crap about Anderson, have a look at his past fights. Look at the fact that its him and him alone that depicts when to turn up the heat and finish you. We love to watch him because nobody has ever seen enough of a guy that moves like a matrix character and can finish you with one move.

Have a look at Weidmans face during the first round break... Oozing confidence as he tried not to shit himself. Paper champ. Phone Post 3.0
7/10/13 11:05 AM
Soup and Beer
102 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You guys are pretty gullible. 

Watching the weigh-in face offs, Weidman got in Silva's face after shaking his hand and it was extremely obvious he didn't want to.  I'm 100% certain either Joe Silva or dfw told him to do that to generate some hype.  Now we have a situation where there is huge money to be made in a rematch, yet Silva doesn't sound interested.  I'm pretty sure all this is just trying to get Anderson fired up to speed up a title rematch. 

The UFC does not want Silva to lounge around and go on sabatical for a year, or start fighting lower level opponents.  Silva has already cleaned out the division except for Weidman.

7/10/13 11:24 AM
Kinkle

"Might want to rethink that last one"

That they are both used in a different tense? That's my point.... Phone Post 3.0
7/10/13 11:29 AM
Marketing guy

I see your point. After rereading I understand what you were going for. I'm just saying that Weidman should have said he "didn't" hurt him not that he lacked the ability. We all know it could have easily been Weidman at any moment sleeping on the floor. If Weidman believes Anderson couldn't hurt him, that will definitely be an advantage for Anderson come rematch time.
7/10/13 11:33 AM
Stephen Holder

Ironhouse - What he said is more of how I saw it. AS first felt mad and disrespected by fighters picking Chris, then takedown made him rage like he did with Bonner (plus Chris landed some nice shots), then he tried to bate Chris but Chris stayed tight and kept coming forward like a tank. At that point I think AS thought it would take some extreme taunting to get Christ to open up for a counter and well we saw how that worked.

Only part about this post that I agree with is the fact that leading up to the fight, Silva played off all the fighters weighing in on how the fight would go down in Chris's favor when really in fact it infuriated him. Even though he shrugged it off publicly and said shit like "all fighters have opinions' its normal" I think it made him livid. The rest is wrong.

Every single person who said Chris was going to beat Anderson was under the assumption that he was going to take the fight where Chael did in his first fight with Silva only Chris was going to be more dominant and do more damage. It was either that or Chris was gonna sub him. Not one single mma opinionated person said 'Chris is going to ko Anderson.' In fact, I think it was Kenny Florian who predicted if Weidman decided to exchange with Silva he would surely lose. I think 9 times out of 10 Kenny is absolutely correct.

What really happened though is Anderson's disdain for the other fighter's comments combined with his skyrocket in Adreanaline inducing confidence after he saw what little of a threat Chris really posed (*) caused him to get to an almost euphoric level of cockiness. His taunting last weekend was on a level we have never seen before. It was outrageous and reckless. To pretend it was simply an instance of Anderson attempting to goad his opponent is just flat out disingenuous. It was foolish and Silva deserved to lose his strap because he lost his cool. Props to Chris for his mental strength to push through Silva's attempts to mesmerize and cease the opportunity when SO MANY in the past have not. Thats fucking huge imo.
7/10/13 11:50 AM
PatrickVilone

Lul. Anderson Silva CAN hurt any man on this planet. He DIDNT hurt him on Saturday. Huge difference.

Put any man with a granite chin in front of Andy. Let him land a few good head kicks/knees and punchs. No man can't be hurt. We saw that Saturday.

Andy kills him in the rematch IMO

If he wasn't acting a fool on Saturday I think he'd still be champ anyways Phone Post
7/10/13 11:53 AM
Stephen Holder

* = I really don't know what fight most of the forum members on here were watching last weekend. Chris got Anderson down and did nothing. He didn't control him as well as Chael did and his jitz looked amateurish the way he lost that leg lock after all the hype that surrounded him. I'm not dissing him in any way by pointing this out because most fighters even against lesser opponents than Silva crack when shit doesn't go their way. You see it all the time. Chris's mental toughness is amazing. That one single quality will take Chris very far in this sport.

Even still if Chris isn't appropriately critical of himself regarding how bad he was doing up until he caught Anderson hes gonna get annihilated in their rematch. A motivated/focused Anderson Silva who knows that all he really needs to do different is not fuck around is a dangerous man.

Also, everyone on here is adamant that Silva was frustrated and when he got up decided to start fucking around. Really? Is that what he did when Sonnen put him in the 'oh shit' position? NO that's not why Silva started acting a fool. Just because Silva didn't do much damage in the 6 minutes they fought, means nothing. Anderson sizes his opponents up and 'feels them out' for a period of time and then in a split second reduces them to nothing. It was only a matter of time before Chris was going to be picked apart had Silva not taken his clowning to the level he did.

Its one thing for the UG mob to really believe that Anderson was frustrated but if Chris really believes his shit didn't stink, hes in trouble in the rematch and fortitude alone will not be enough.
7/10/13 12:04 PM
Dmoney35

it's unreal to me sometimes the stances this place takes. Having any confidence that weidman can beat silva again is ludicrous unless Anderson acts crazy again. it was an awkward ending to a fight that Anderson silva was so confident he was going to win he messed around.

weidman didn't
-out skill Anderson
-out wrestle
-out smart
-out jiu jitsu
- out strike

Chris weidman landed a punch when Anderson was acting like an idiot. now a win is a win but weidman in no way proved he is a superior fighter.

ANDERSON LOST HIMSELF THE FIGHT

why is Anderson already the favorite for the rematch? Phone Post 3.0
7/10/13 12:06 PM
mestregruber
94 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Anderson also didn't land cleanly on Chris. That is a testament to Chris' defense, but Anderson has hurt every single fighter he has landed cleanly on. Unless Weidman's chin is that much better than Leben, Hendo, Vitor, Chael, etc...
7/10/13 12:08 PM
Jack Carter
325 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dmoney35 - it's unreal to me sometimes the stances this place takes. Having any confidence that weidman can beat silva again is ludicrous unless Anderson acts crazy again. it was an awkward ending to a fight that Anderson silva was so confident he was going to win he messed around.

weidman didn't
-out skill Anderson
-out wrestle
-out smart
-out jiu jitsu
- out strike

Chris weidman landed a punch when Anderson was acting like an idiot. now a win is a win but weidman in no way proved he is a superior fighter.

ANDERSON LOST HIMSELF THE FIGHT

why is Anderson already the favorite for the rematch? Phone Post 3.0
You are delusional Phone Post 3.0
7/10/13 12:09 PM
SQUEEZIE

Kinkle - He COULDN'T hurt him in their last fight. That was also my conclusion during the fight. Silva got desperate because he couldn't connect any significant strike on Weidman, at the end of the first Weidman was showboating, taking face shots, and came out unscathed.. Also about 10 seconds before Silva was KO'd, he had a hold of Weidman's arm, threw a front kick (very similar to the one that KO'd Vitor), and it completely miss. I thought Silva was obviously frustated and that is when he started to taunt Weidman, to get him to engage, and rush in, to get caught by Silva's legendary counterstrikes, it obviously did not work out that way......

I am sorry that you have no clue what is actually going on during the fight, so keep calling Weidman arrogant & annoying, the people who actually know what's going on will continue laughing at you.

7/10/13 12:14 PM
HexRei

Stea1th - 

It's obvious a lot of people are a bit butthurt about anderson losing and that's understandable. What's not is trying to make it seem like weidman is full of himself when he isn't I think people are confusing weidman's condifidence with arrogence. 

1. Drop names out of context.

The name-dropper is a character who frequents many local Chamber of Commerce mixers. Name-droppers are a dime a dozen. Completely unsolicited, they will jabber endlessly about who they know, who they met and who they pal around with. As a journalist, I interview many great business leaders, one of whom was Starbucks CEO Howard Schultz. Bringing up his name in a presentation about leadership is appropriate; talking about Schultz with a barista at my local Starbucks is arrogant.

2. Avoid eye contact.

Arrogant people could care less about others. They're only interested in themselves. The arrogant person will constantly be looking past you for someone else to talk to — someone they think will benefit them more than you. Confident leaders look you in the eye and make you feel as though you're the most important person in the room.

3. Arrive consistently late to meetings … and don't apologize.

Arrogant people think their time is more important than anybody else's. Being late means nothing to them. Confident leaders are timely and quick to apologize when they're off schedule.

4. Use condescending phrases and put-downs.

Some well-known business leaders have been known to put down others with phrases like “that's stupid” or “you're a bozo.” These particular leaders are supremely confident, of course, but they've crossed the line into arrogance. I worked for one famous broadcast executive who routinely demeaned his employees and colleagues. Before long there was a massive brain drain from his department. He was bright; ambitious; and yes, confident. But his arrogance turned so many people off that he lost the loyalty of his team (and ultimately his position).

5. Strut or swagger when you walk into a room.

The best way to describe arrogant body language is “dominating.” Examples include pointing a finger at someone's chest, hands on hips or waving someone off with a flick of the finger. Confidence is open and less intimidating.

lol at listing this guy's opinion and then acting like if you're not doing these ridiculously specific things then you can't possibly be arrogant.

im not saying weidman is, but this is a worthless rebuttal.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.