UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Bellator's Artoff tests positive for marijuana

7/10/13 1:03 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1027 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Use of Performance Enhancing Drugs is a significant problem in mixed martial arts. Use of marijuana is not widely considered to be a major problem, and the Association of Boxing Commissions is taking steps to reflect society's growing acceptance of the recreational use of it. However, there are still laws on the books against it, and Bellator 96 appears to have produced the tournament-based promotion's first positive drug test.

A source close to the event today told MMAjunkie.com that preliminary-card fighter Steven Artoff was flagged for marijuana, and is due next month at a hearing held by the tribal commission that oversaw the event.

Carolyn Daniels of the Chickasaw Nation's Office of the Gaming Commissioner said fighters who test positive for banned substances can be fined and/or suspended by the Gaming Commissioner's office.

Read entire article...

7/10/13 1:06 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
IAmNotImpressedbyYourStocktonSlap
303 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It was gonna happen eventually. Phone Post
7/10/13 1:36 AM
Kings21
38 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

And here I thought Bellator fighters werent tested. Figures the first one would be for weed instead of something thats actually performance enhancing.
7/10/13 1:54 AM
virux11b
173 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He's a good kid. He should have followed the rules though. I'm sure it will be a lesson to learn from. Phone Post
7/10/13 1:57 AM
ChaosOverkill
451 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

under the 15 or 150 nanogram testing policy?

7/10/13 1:58 AM
aarick161
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kings21 - And here I thought Bellator fighters werent tested. Figures the first one would be for weed instead of something thats actually performance enhancing.

Scapegoat

7/10/13 1:59 AM
ChaosOverkill
451 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"On the possibility of additional testing, Bellator Director of Public Relations Anthony Mazzuca previously stated: "Testing by state athletic commissions is discretionary by each commission, and Bellator is held to exactly the same standard drug-testing rules and regulations as is the UFC."

Using native reserves was a clever way to duck that standard then wasn't it?

7/10/13 2:41 AM
PUBLIC_loves_VITOR_eff_THE_haters

ChaosOverkill -

"On the possibility of additional testing, Bellator Director of Public Relations Anthony Mazzuca previously stated: "Testing by state athletic commissions is discretionary by each commission, and Bellator is held to exactly the same standard drug-testing rules and regulations as is the UFC."

Using native reserves was a clever way to duck that standard then wasn't it?

also says tribal hearing Phone Post
7/10/13 2:59 AM
CindyO

And those drug standards suck. Thats why Zuffa has 100% of their fighters tested as well as pays for it. I suppose Viacom is too cheap or poor to do the same.

Cindy

7/10/13 3:08 AM
ChaosOverkill

willienugget - 
ChaosOverkill - 

under the 15 or 150 nanogram testing policy?

So far only WADA and UFC have set a 150 limit.

Absurd

7/10/13 7:36 AM
BLPorritt
82 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

virux11b - He's a good kid. He should have followed the rules though. I'm sure it will be a lesson to learn from. Phone Post
This

Shit Artoff, get it together.

He'll be back Phone Post
7/10/13 7:45 AM
grkblood

Joe Show Radio, janitor
CindyO - 

And those drug standards suck. Thats why Zuffa has 100% of their fighters tested as well as pays for it. I suppose Viacom is too cheap or poor to do the same.

Cindy

When did Zuffa start testing 100% of their fighters at events?

7/10/13 8:50 AM
Rival School

I think he got reverse triangled in the 1st Phone Post 3.0
7/10/13 10:29 AM
ranier wolfcastle
838 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

he must be very good at triathalons

7/10/13 10:58 AM
UGCTT_FryedTakayama
773 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Matt Riddle: Da fuck bro? They test? I thought I was in the clear.

7/10/13 11:50 AM
BLPorritt
82 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JustTheTip - It's also funny when people like Cindy and other Bellator detractors stick up for Zuffa when it comes to fighter pay and say they haven't been around as long as the major sports.

However, when it comes to Bellator, they want them to do everything the same as UFC such as testing, pay, insurance, etc.. despite the fact that they've only been around for 4 years versus UFC's 20 years. Was Zuffa paying for their own testing in 1997? Did they offer full medical insurance in 1997? I don't think so.
Did Zuffa own them in 97???

No Phone Post
7/10/13 4:21 PM
Chris27

First fighter in Bellator to test positive, or atleast the first guy outted from Bellator.

7/10/13 6:27 PM
THERE WAS A GLITCH IN THE MATRiX
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

he should be suspended, castrated, starved and then hung in the streets in front of the public. Havent you guys heard about all the bad things marijuana causes. it should be right up there with child molestation.
7/10/13 6:33 PM
ChaosOverkill

Chris27 - 

First fighter in Bellator to test positive, or atleast the first guy outted from Bellator.

and it's for Pot.

Oh wait CBS does NFL Football now it makes sense

7/10/13 8:15 PM
grkblood

Joe Show Radio, janitor
willienugget - 
JustTheTip - 
grkblood - 
CindyO - 

Cindy

I'd like to know this too. I know they typically test both main event fighters and a handful of others, randomly. I like how Cindy acts like the UFC goes above and beyond by telling fighters you "if you fight on this X date, you will be tested on X date." I'd say it's pretty easy to cycle when you know the exact dates they will come around. If they really cared about cleaning up the sport, tests would be random, like the NSAC did to Overeem.

And Zuffa pays 100% for it? Are you saying the AC's have nothing to do with testing, Cindy? I don't believe you but if so, seems like quite the conflict of interest.

They don't always. Just Ms Ortiz doing her thing. Only six fighters were tested at UFC 158.

I figured that was the case but wanted to hear the response from her.

7/11/13 4:38 AM
CindyO

willienugget - 
JustTheTip - 
grkblood - 
CindyO - 

Cindy

I'd like to know this too. I know they typically test both main event fighters and a handful of others, randomly. I like how Cindy acts like the UFC goes above and beyond by telling fighters you "if you fight on this X date, you will be tested on X date." I'd say it's pretty easy to cycle when you know the exact dates they will come around. If they really cared about cleaning up the sport, tests would be random, like the NSAC did to Overeem.

And Zuffa pays 100% for it? Are you saying the AC's have nothing to do with testing, Cindy? I don't believe you but if so, seems like quite the conflict of interest.

They don't always. Just Ms Ortiz doing her thing. Only six fighters were tested at UFC 158.

LOL@ this shit! Too lazy to look up when UFC 158 was but on May 30, 2013 Bloody Elbow ran a story with this quote:

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2013/5/30/4379788/ufc-on-fx-8-drug-tests-clean-brazil-commission-explains-belforts-trt

"The UFC has been informed by CABMMA that all fighters on the UFC on FX 8 card passed their pre- and post-fight drug tests," today's announcement read. "The UFC fully supports the drug testing efforts of all regulatory agencies. All fighters are drug tested at every event and the organization maintains a strict, consistent policy against the use of any illegal and/or performance-enhancing drugs, stimulants or masking agents."

There have been a few recent changes to the UFCs drug policy. Perhaps grkblood, in his infinite wisdom, can get to the bottom of this and report about it. That is what you do, isn't it? So go get us the real story and if the UFC is reporting incorrect info you should out them and claim alllll the glory for yourself:)

And JustTheTip, I responded to your question about who pays for it on the other thread but I'll share the links on this one as well:

Where is the source they pay for these drug tests and not the AC's (which you claimed on another thread today)?

You can go state by state but here's Nevada's:

http://boxing.nv.gov/uploadedFiles/boxingnvgov/content/Licensing/EXPECTATIONS1.pdf

DRUG AND STEROID TESTING
Every event will have fight-night drug and steroid testing of contestants. It is the responsibility of the promoter to pay for those costs. The total cost of the testing depends on the total number of bouts, and the total number of title bouts, if any. The overall cost to the promoter usually runs between $1,000 and $2,000.

And from Louisiana's commissioner:

http://www.mmafighting.com/ufc/2012/3/30/2911952/peds-in-mma-the-trouble-with-testing

"The fact is, there are still situations in which the UFC works hand-in-hand with state regulators to enforce drug testing, mostly by footing the bill.

Alvin Topham, who chairs the Louisiana Boxing and Wrestling Commission, detailed that process during an interview with MMA Fighting.

When the UFC comes to the state, as they did last September, they insist upon drug testing. The commission will administer the tests, select a laboratory to process them, and pay the initial bill. They will also be the first to receive the results, which they will eventually pass along to the UFC.

The promotion later reimburses them for the cost."

Cindy

7/11/13 5:28 AM
Thacommish
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07/11/13 5:41 AM
fk edit
7/17/13 7:51 AM
grkblood

Joe Show Radio, janitor

What about the other 12 Cindy?

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/news/438004/Henderson-denied-exemption-for-TRT-at-UFC-161/

According to an email received by Bleacher Report from the Manitoba Combative Sports Commission, who oversaw the June 15 event, a total of 10 fighters from the card were tested and all returned with negative results.

There were a total of 22 fighters competing that night, so just under half were drug tested by the commission.

In addition to the drug test results, the commission also verified that no fighters on the UFC 161 fight card received a therapeutic use exemption (TUE) prior to the event. TUEs are given to fighters for a number of medical reasons, most notably known in MMA for competitors who use testosterone replacement therapy (TRT).

7/17/13 8:56 PM
grkblood

Joe Show Radio, janitor

7/17/13 10:19 PM
YouCantHandleMyRiddum

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.