UnderGround Forums

Australasia UnderGround >> AIS looking for potential boxing and judo athletes

7/10/13 1:17 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
JSho
341 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://www.ausport.gov.au/ais/athlete_recruitment

Are you an athlete with the discipline, integrity and mental strength? Do you have what it takes to become a world-class boxing or judo athlete?

The Australian Institute of Sport (AIS) is now recruiting physically fit, male and female athletes between the ages of 18 and 27 who are keen to pursue the Olympic sports of boxing or judo.

No prior boxing or judo experience is required, but candidates must be based in Brisbane, Canberra, Melbourne or Sydney and be committed to completing the full training schedule.

Successful applicants will attend a training camp at the AIS in Canberra from 4-11 August 2013, where they will participate in a range of physical, skill-based and psychological challenges. Each athlete will receive free training and evaluation by world-class coaches and AIS sport scientists.

Athletes must also commit to training at least three times per week with a designated boxing or judo coach in their home city from August to October 2013, before returning to the AIS for a second training camp.

Entries close 19th July

7/22/13 8:52 AM
Gibstar
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Applied for both boxing and judo. Made the short list so far, we shall see what happens! :)
7/23/13 3:18 AM
ozjiujitsu
43 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fuck! Should have done this! Phone Post 3.0
7/23/13 8:26 AM
gammo2184
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Gibstar - Applied for both boxing and judo. Made the short list so far, we shall see what happens! :)
Hey mate have you got a background in either??? I applied and have a background competing in Thai and MMA but haven't heard anything! Also how did they contact you?? Phone Post 3.0
7/23/13 9:09 AM
Gibstar
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hey gammo2184. I've got a background competiting in bjj, muay thai, wrestling, and mma. They contacted me via email asking me to do a number of short fitness tests and send them the results. Haven't heard back from them yet.
7/25/13 7:36 AM
simpsonaye
133 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good luck fellas Phone Post 3.0
7/26/13 3:30 AM
gammo2184

Gibstar - Hey gammo2184. I've got a background competiting in bjj, muay thai, wrestling, and mma. They contacted me via email asking me to do a number of short fitness tests and send them the results. Haven't heard back from them yet.
Good luck mate! I heard back today and didn't make it (fractured my eye socket 3 weeks ago so can't train ATM) but was told they'll do another application process in September and if I apply then they'll accept me! Phone Post 3.0
7/26/13 6:59 AM
Gibstar

Thanks guys! I got in, but had to say no. Couldn't get the time off university, plus I have an 8 woman mma tournament coming up at the end of August. Couldn't commit to their training schedule.

Yeah, they told me the same thing about more programs later in the year. Said they'd keep me in the loop. Hopefully catch you at the next one gammo2184! All the best for a speedy recovery!
7/26/13 10:58 AM
gammo2184

Gibstar - Thanks guys! I got in, but had to say no. Couldn't get the time off university, plus I have an 8 woman mma tournament coming up at the end of August. Couldn't commit to their training schedule.

Yeah, they told me the same thing about more programs later in the year. Said they'd keep me in the loop. Hopefully catch you at the next one gammo2184! All the best for a speedy recovery!
Awesome! I'm at uni also so I'm hoping I get the second chance cos then I could apply for an elite athlete consideration and save alot in uni fees haha (my uni is very sports focused) but I'm also heading to Thailand for a few months in November for training so it could be bad timing again! good luck for ur tourney... Is it for storm damage??? What sort of fitness stuff did they ask u to do??? Phone Post 3.0
7/26/13 11:48 AM
Gibstar

Yeap, I'm on the Storm Damage card. Should be good fun!

Basically they just wanted to see how many chin ups you could do in a row, how many push-ups in a minute, how many up downs (modified burpees) you could do in three minutes, and how far you could jump in three jumps. I think just for basic fitness levels, that's all.

Sweet! Where you headed in Thailand to train?
7/30/13 3:01 AM
gammo2184

Gibstar - Yeap, I'm on the Storm Damage card. Should be good fun!

Basically they just wanted to see how many chin ups you could do in a row, how many push-ups in a minute, how many up downs (modified burpees) you could do in three minutes, and how far you could jump in three jumps. I think just for basic fitness levels, that's all.

Sweet! Where you headed in Thailand to train?
Oh ok sounds good! Where abouts do u train at?? I'm heading to Phuket for 4 weeks to train at dragon ( awesome place a little smaller and less commercial then the others but top notch training) then heading to Bangkok and will probably train at petchyindee but also check out a few other gyms Phone Post 3.0
8/2/13 9:37 PM
Gibstar

I train at William Street Gym and Absolute MMA in Melbourne. Yeah, I know Dragon- just around the corner from Tiger MT, right? Man, you're going to love Phuket! Spent the happiest three months of my life training over there, and been back a few times since. It's the best!
8/5/13 8:09 AM
gammo2184

Gibstar - I train at William Street Gym and Absolute MMA in Melbourne. Yeah, I know Dragon- just around the corner from Tiger MT, right? Man, you're going to love Phuket! Spent the happiest three months of my life training over there, and been back a few times since. It's the best!
Oh cool! I'm in Sydney! Yea that's the one it's right inbetween tiger n PTT! Last time I trained in Phuket was 2010 n was at dragon for 6 weeks n loved it n Phuket in general! I went last year but headed to Bangkok but this time spending majority of the time in Phuket! I totally get what u mean its an awesome place n nothing else to do but train! Phone Post 3.0

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.