UnderGround Forums >> Chuck Liddell: The UFC is not a welfare state

7/12/13 11:27 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
NYjojo
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

epwar - 
melendez - 
EazyG - RockyBullwinkle -

Nice summary of the UFC monopsony. I think you said it better than I did.

Its pretty much Economics 101, or at least Industrial Organization 101.

Many folks here supporting the UFC wages have not even attempted to address the potential monopsony issue. Without addressing this pivotal issue, their arguments are basically irrelevant.

I guess for me its just weird that all these dudes are crazed MMA fans. They love the sport and everything about it. But then they don't want to see better compensation for the people that are providing them with entertainment from week to week. That is the part I find most confusing.

Sadly, I think this behavior stems from some fans seriously thinking Dana White is their buddy.  With Dana's huge online presence and availability, some folks think they are pals with him and have to parrot any stance he takes.  Look at a thread when he appears and notice the number of  replies afterward of dudes going, "OH DANA YOU OWNED THAT GUY" and thinking they are giving him cyber high fives.

Dana and crew built the ufc into a sport we love, he is a good buddy same as Wand is when he goes all out to entertain us. Chuck, Randy and the gang built the sport too, and they were the guys I paid money to see. I buy ppv when there's one or two fighters I have to see, I could care less about most of the other fights and their individual financial dealings.

Fighters make money according to their merit 90% of the time. Most people hate how a baseball player can get injured and be out years or even just play poorly and make 10 million a year. I'm sure the guys that you have to see fight are making great money in the UFC. It's just one of those things -- why are people so concerned about what so and so is making? People talking about how much money a movie made at the box office, like it's of importance to them for some reason.
7/12/13 11:37 AM
epwar
550 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07/12/13 11:37 AM
NYjojo - 
epwar - 
melendez - 

Many folks here supporting the UFC wages have not even attempted to address the potential monopsony issue. Without addressing this pivotal issue, their arguments are basically irrelevant.

I guess for me its just weird that all these dudes are crazed MMA fans. They love the sport and everything about it. But then they don't want to see better compensation for the people that are providing them with entertainment from week to week. That is the part I find most confusing.

Sadly, I think this behavior stems from some fans seriously thinking Dana White is their buddy.  With Dana's huge online presence and availability, some folks think they are pals with him and have to parrot any stance he takes.  Look at a thread when he appears and notice the number of  replies afterward of dudes going, "OH DANA YOU OWNED THAT GUY" and thinking they are giving him cyber high fives.

Dana and crew built the ufc into a sport we love, he is a good buddy same as Wand is when he goes all out to entertain us. Chuck, Randy and the gang built the sport too, and they were the guys I paid money to see. I buy ppv when there's one or two fighters I have to see, I could care less about most of the other fights and their individual financial dealings.

7/12/13 12:22 PM
EazyG

^^^ Great reply to empty arguments.
7/12/13 12:35 PM
MrMead
126 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

EazyG - ^^^ Great reply to empty arguments.

I have really liked a lot of what you are saying in your posts on both the UG and OG. Keep up the good work man.
7/12/13 12:45 PM
Infamous Ed

Damn I miss seeing him fight Phone Post 3.0
7/12/13 1:04 PM
EazyG

MrMead - 
EazyG - ^^^ Great reply to empty arguments.

I have really liked a lot of what you are saying in your posts on both the UG and OG. Keep up the good work man.

Much appreciated.

7/12/13 1:21 PM
melendez
60 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07/12/13 1:21 PM
NYjojo - 
epwar - 
melendez - 

Fighters make money according to their merit 90% of the time. Most people hate how a baseball player can get injured and be out years or even just play poorly and make 10 million a year. I'm sure the guys that you have to see fight are making great money in the UFC. It's just one of those things -- why are people so concerned about what so and so is making? People talking about how much money a movie made at the box office, like it's of importance to them for some reason.

What Dana and the Fertitta brothers have done for the sport that we all love is beyond description. They took a failing business that nobody cared about, flipped it around and turned it into a billion dollar industry. There is no disputing that and I will always be grateful and appreciate of them for their efforts. Same goes for all the guys who helped build the sport like Randy, Chuck, Tito (who you left out shame on you) and others.

All guys are saying is that they would like to see things get a little bit better for the fighters thats all. Nothing more.

Chucks comments were spot on and I agree with what he says about pay. However, Chuck is not in the same position as many of these guys. He will never have to worry about money ever in his life. He has as special job that was created just for him...He is in the good graces of the brass. For other guys I fear that there will be issues down the line. Am I worried too much about how much they make? Possibly. Do I have genuine concern for guys that have given their blood and sweat for my own entertainment? 200 percent.

As for ball players...I dont know what to say about your comment but Ill give you an example-I am a Soldier. If I get injured, I am able to get a doctors permission to stay home for a certain amount of time while I recover. This is called convalescent leave. Should I not get paid becuase I was injured? The same would go for a guy who worked at Wendy's. He slips and falls and breaks his leg at work. Is he then not paid because he can't work? Ohhhhhhhh they have that whole compensation thing for people who are injured on the job right? I wonder if you feel like if you were hurt at work and couldn' t do your job, you should be fired away for "not performing...."

7/12/13 2:03 PM
UncleGrappler
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"Livable wage" I get so sick of people throwing this term around. They apply in in situations that don't apply. A fighter starting out, get's what they get. Nobody told them they would be paid enough to support themselves or their family starting out. Because someone makes a decision to become a fighter, it automatically makes the organization for which they fight obligated to pay them enough to live???? Supply and demand, simple and true. If a fighter by way of his performance, creates a demand, he or she has better control over the supply and therefore can negotiate more money. It's to a large degree self-regulating. Don't like it? Guess what, you're free to go make a living some other way. This is a highly entertainment-based sport. Everyone should understand it.
7/12/13 2:09 PM
UncleGrappler
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The funny thing to me is that many posts here reflect the unfortunate changes in our culture. Too many people think they are "entitled". Something for nothing, or something for very little. Guy A thinks he should have everything Guy B has, but isn't willing to work as long and hard, or doesn't have the natural abilities, but still thinks he deserves the same.
7/12/13 2:24 PM
EazyG

^^^It continues to amaze me how uniformed some folks here are about economics. The key issue has nothing to do with a living wage.

The key issue is whether the UFC is a monopsony and exploits this to pay below free market wages. If true this is the antithesis of the free market outcome many here worship. This is the issue the Wagner Act and the FTC analyze when determining price fixing issues.

If you cannot construct a logical argument about the key UFC monopsony issue, you are not adding any value to the discussion.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.