UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Falcao, Mena Released from team following brawl

7/10/13 5:47 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1295 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Last week former Bellator middleweight title challenger Maiquel Falcao and fighter Kaue Mena were involved in a brawl outside a gas station in Brazil that left Mena in critical condition. Mena is reported to be improving, but the pair have been released from thir Renovacao Fight Team, by coach Marcelo Brigadeiro

Brigadeiro released an official statement via Brazil's Portal do Vale Tudo.

I, Marcelo Brigadeiro, in my role as leader of team Company Fight/RFT through this letter voice my official stance regarding the regrettable fight episode involving the athletes Maiquel Falcao and Kaue Mena.

Initially I’d like to make it clear that as far as my interpretation of the facts, I don’t believe any of the involved are innocent - all were wrong, in greater or lesser proportions. The actions of Maiquel Falcao which triggered all that occurred, despite it not being an aggression as many have characterized it, was disrespectful and not compatible with the behavior of an athlete. The reaction of the aggressors was in turn exaggerated, cowardly and criminal. Kaue Mena himself, who remains in a coma in the ICU at Hospital do Coração in Balneario Camboriu, also carries with him part of the guilt of what occurred; as a professional MMA athlete, he should not be on the streets at the hour of the event.

I also make it clear that the attitude of these two athletes does not reflect on the behavior of our entire team. We are known as one of the most successful teams in the world and also as a true family of athletes, good men of character, of exemplary behavior, as should be expected from true practitioners of martial arts. The attitudes of Maiquel Falcao and Kaue Mena do not meet what is taught by myself and practiced by my students, nor is it what’s expected by our sponsors and commercial partners.

I know that as professionals and practitioners of martial arts we should not and cannot be associated with night life, fights, altercations and the consumption of alcohol. We have the obligation to serve as an example to society and above all to children, who see us as heroes.

Whoever knows me knows the immense love that I feel for my work and for my students, whom I treat as sons, including Maiquel Falcao and Kaue Mena.  However, as master or ‘father’, as they call me, I must not and cannot close my eyes to the flaws of my ‘boys’. Due to the aforementioned, it is with a broken heart and great sadness that I officially announce that Maiquel Falcao and Kaue Mena no longer are a part of team Company Fight/RFT.

Lastly, I hope that this tragedy serves as a lesson to all of us. May we be aware how much a simple and unfortunate action can affect our lives in negative and permanent ways. May those who are starting in this profession understand that choosing to be an athlete is not the selection of a job, but that of a philosophy of life that requires self-sacrifice, discipline and obedience.

Read entire article... (original Portuguese)

In an interview with MMAJunkie, UFC president Dana White revealed that Falcao was released by the UFC following his arrested in Brazil for charges stemming from a 2002 incident that saw a woman injured during a clash between two groups, one of which included Falcao.

"This whole situation is really unfortunate," said White. "All you can do is just hope Kaue Mena's health continues to improve. But I have to be honest and tell you it really bugs me that it's being reported that Maiquel Falcao is a UFC fighter. We let him go back in 2011 for the same reason. We found out he had a charge on his record for hitting a woman, and we cut him because of that."

"We don't want anything to do with men who punch women. When the UFC found out Maiquel had a charge against him that involved women, we immediately cut him from the roster. Bellator/Viacom MMA then picked him up a few months later, and he's been fighting for them ever since.

"The UFC does not and will not ever tolerate situations like this. Sexual assault, hitting a woman or anything like that, you're gone from the roster. It doesn't matter if you're a winner or a champion or anything like that. You're gone. Keep your hands off women."

7/10/13 5:50 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Aleck911
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Story? Phone Post 3.0
7/10/13 5:51 PM
Devlin
87 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Aleck911 - Story? Phone Post 3.0
Theres already a thread on here, they took a beating from a guy with a 2by4. Phone Post
7/10/13 5:52 PM
EckY
70 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Whats the condition of Mena? Seems a bit harsh to kick him off the team when he is still in a coma, hopefully the guy makes a full recovery, seemed to have a promising career, but after that beating he will be lucky if he can string a sentence together again.
7/10/13 5:53 PM
Aleck911
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

But what's up with the UG Blog?
Headline and no story Phone Post 3.0
7/10/13 5:55 PM
Rudi
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mena was at the wrong place at the wrong time with a shitty teamate.

All he did was help his teammate now he is in a coma and released from the team. Phone Post
7/10/13 5:56 PM
Willin
262 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Releasing a guy when he's in a coma? Classy, classy move.

7/10/13 5:57 PM
RearNakedDeath07

Falcao is a fucking dick...he proves it over and over again Phone Post
7/10/13 5:58 PM
GarlicSauce

Edited: 07/10/13 5:58 PM
Kicked out while in critical condition? What a classy team he had. Good riddance to such a trainer, any other trainer will be an improvement.
7/10/13 5:59 PM
Skeezy420
41 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Story summary:

Falcao walks up on girl super close, she says something to him. Argument of some sorts begins, he smacks her with his wallet in the back of the head lightly. Guys w/ chicks bum rush him and his friend Kaue Mena inside of store. Guy suckers Falcao, Mena opens up on him. Falcao misses clear opportunity to lay out future 2x4 swinging dude but doesnt. Comes back to haunt them as fight continues and spills outside. Dude cracks Falcao twice with 2x4 KOing him, than blindsides Mena with it KO'ing him. His head bounces of concrete, he receives 7 to 8 punches, 3/4 kicks/stomps, and 2 running punts to head while asleep from a piece of shit.

Mena improving slowly, in ICU for a while. Falcao released later that night from hospital.

Moral: When your friends with assholes and live in shady places during night hours shit like this pops off.
7/10/13 6:02 PM
The Lurker Below

Edited: 07/10/13 6:02 PM
his reasoning seems focused on Mena being out late and no fighter should be out late? I don't know, I see a fighter defending his asshole fighter friend to the death...
7/10/13 6:05 PM
Devlin
87 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Disgraceful to.cut him from the team for it. particularly when he is in critial care atm. Phone Post
7/10/13 6:07 PM
Rudi

The Lurker Below - his reasoning seems focused on Mena being out late and no fighter should be out late? I don't know, I see a fighter defending his asshole fighter friend to the death...
This Phone Post
7/10/13 6:08 PM
Rudi

I'd help my teammate or friend also. Phone Post
7/10/13 6:09 PM
stebrillz
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That's cold as ice plus sounds like a cowardly piece of shit that attacked him, disgusting Phone Post 3.0
7/10/13 6:09 PM
EckY
70 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Falcao was obviously really drunk, you can see the way he reacts to the sucker punch. He obviously got a little close to the girl and said some sleazy bullshit she didn't appreciate, what I find strange is thereis a slight edit in the video rig before he swats at her with his wallet.

regardless what he did was typical sleazy dickhead shit, but what happened afterward was absolutely out of control, the little bitch attacking Mena shit his pants when Falcao and Mena started opening up on them in e store, but as soon as Mena is out the little bitch decides he wants to fight all of a sudden, guy should be executed for that shit.
7/10/13 6:11 PM
stebrillz
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

EckY - Falcao was obviously really drunk, you can see the way he reacts to the sucker punch. He obviously got a little close to the girl and said some sleazy bullshit she didn't appreciate, what I find strange is thereis a slight edit in the video rig before he swats at her with his wallet.

regardless what he did was typical sleazy dickhead shit, but what happened afterward was absolutely out of control, the little bitch attacking Mena shit his pants when Falcao and Mena started opening up on them in e store, but as soon as Mena is out the little bitch decides he wants to fight all of a sudden, guy should be executed for that shit.
Word Phone Post 3.0
7/10/13 6:12 PM
RJJH
103 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

out of this whle situation, I feel incredibly terrible for Kaue Mena. the guy is a really nice person and had his whole MMA future ahead of him.

pick your friends wisely everyone.

7/10/13 6:12 PM
pennviachoke
1226 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

stebrillz - That's cold as ice plus sounds like a cowardly piece of shit that attacked him, disgusting Phone Post 3.0
When you put ur hands on someone's sister/girlfriend/wife these things can happen. Sucks for Falcao but it was easily avoidable from what I've seen & read. Phone Post
7/10/13 6:13 PM
pennviachoke
1226 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

RJJH -

out of this whle situation, I feel incredibly terrible for Kaue Mena. the guy is a really nice person and had his whole MMA future ahead of him.

pick your friends wisely everyone.

+1 Phone Post
7/10/13 6:15 PM
stebrillz

pennviachoke -
stebrillz - That's cold as ice plus sounds like a cowardly piece of shit that attacked him, disgusting Phone Post 3.0
When you put ur hands on someone's sister/girlfriend/wife these things can happen. Sucks for Falcao but it was easily avoidable from what I've seen & read. Phone Post
I agree with that as far as maybe even KOing someone but the blindsided fag tactics followed by punts etc are out of order and weak IMO Phone Post 3.0
7/10/13 6:16 PM
RJJH
103 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07/10/13 6:17 PM

GarlicSauce - Kicked out while in critical condition? What a classy team he had. Good riddance to such a trainer, any other trainer will be an improvement.

I would LOVE to see him at Nova Uniao or in Vegas with Wanderlei...when / if he recovers of course

7/10/13 6:17 PM
pennviachoke

stebrillz -
pennviachoke -
I agree with that as far as maybe even KOing someone but the blindsided fag tactics followed by punts etc are out of order and weak IMO Phone Post 3.0
Oh yeah its bullshit to do that to anyone that's unconscious...fucking attempted murder imo Phone Post
7/10/13 6:22 PM
RJJH

Rudi - 
The Lurker Below - his reasoning seems focused on Mena being out late and no fighter should be out late? I don't know, I see a fighter defending his asshole fighter friend to the death...
This Phone Post

I think a few things about this, maybe Marcelo is being emotional and will let Mena back on the team when he is able to, if ever.

or, maybe Marcelo is tired of their "late night" antics and this is the first we have heard of it, unfortuantely, this might be the case.

from what I can gather and being friends with Mena on facebook, is that he is a really nice & genuine guy, I was looking forward to him being on TUF and him getting his shot.

7/10/13 6:29 PM
SubbedZER0
344 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I see this as without Mena - Falcao is dead.

Mena is on the streets a rough time. I agree, you combine that with alcohol and no, he's not living with his best interests in mind right then as his coach would like him to. He makes a decision to defend his friend, he's out, he's comatose, when he's aware, he'll be told he's off the team for these decisions.

I don't ever play revolution and go against a head coach, but I can't fully justify being off the team for Mena IMO

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.