UnderGround Forums

BJJGround Forum >> When do you give someone a blue belt?

7/18/13 2:44 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
BigEyedFish
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

at around 2 years as long as the student is showing blue belt level aptitude.

OP, as long as you are winning those comps with BJJ techniques (and not because you are a good wrestler or judoka or whatever), Id give you the belt.

Problem is with gauging belt rank because of tournament results only, it gets convoluted because of the IBJJF points system. If someone wins 3 matches or whatever and a medal because they scored a takedown and some advantages, that really doesnt attest truly to ones aptitude in BJJ and/or grasp of the curriculum.
7/18/13 4:06 PM
Twizz
38 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Next time you are at class, and your instructor is finished demonstrating a technique and asks if anyone has any questions, ask when you are getting your blue belt. That's probably the best time to ask about the situation in my opinion. Phone Post 3.0
7/19/13 12:16 PM
Akston
36 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Taking a stab in the dark and saying your attitude has a lot to do with it Phone Post
7/19/13 10:56 PM
Braxmax
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My instructor only gives out belts when the student can verify that he hasn't posted anything about his rank on any Internet forum for at least 6 months.

So stfu and trane bro. Maybe in 6 months from now you'll learn that it doesn't really matter anyway. Phone Post 3.0
7/20/13 1:56 AM
AokiPants
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Twizz - Next time you are at class, and your instructor is finished demonstrating a technique and asks if anyone has any questions, ask when you are getting your blue belt. That's probably the best time to ask about the situation in my opinion. Phone Post 3.0
I read this, thought it was clever, then actually pictured someone doing it in class and started laughing out loud Phone Post 3.0
7/20/13 7:30 AM
Twizz
38 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

AokiPants -
Twizz - Next time you are at class, and your instructor is finished demonstrating a technique and asks if anyone has any questions, ask when you are getting your blue belt. That's probably the best time to ask about the situation in my opinion. Phone Post 3.0
I read this, thought it was clever, then actually pictured someone doing it in class and started laughing out loud Phone Post 3.0
It would be hilarious. I'm lad you saw the humor. Phone Post 3.0
7/20/13 7:59 AM
thegreatone287
85 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

When I first started all I wanted to get was belts. This being while I was a white belt. Now I'm a blue I couldn't give two shits about what belt I am I just want to get better. I don't care if I was a blue for the rest of my days of learning. I just want to train. Phone Post
7/20/13 9:06 AM
dojo stormer

just fucking train
7/20/13 11:11 AM
GaspareBJJ
183 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Go train!!!!!! Phone Post 3.0
7/20/13 11:28 AM
plasticonoband
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Akston - Taking a stab in the dark and saying your attitude has a lot to do with it Phone Post
^This is alao my first thought.... Phone Post 3.0
7/20/13 6:27 PM
Phuckles
703 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

lol op.

Just train man. Your belt only covers two inches of your ass anyway... Phone Post
7/20/13 7:11 PM
Twizz

Just get a blue sharpie and write "blue" on your white belt. I'm sure your instructor will notice Phone Post 3.0
8/4/14 1:03 AM
SportScience

So I just to clarify, I am still a white belt.

We have no blue belts at our club and our instructors have never given a blue belt out. There is now a bottle neck at the top of our club because there are a handful of people better than me who are also 4 stripe white belts.

Its gotten to this really weird point, I got another gold medal at a competition two weeks back. One of my team mates got two gold medals at that comp. He won his division and the open weight division beating everyone without a question of doubt.

He was snubbed at the grading we had last week and so was I. I don't want to leave my club and yeah I really have no idea what to do. I checked how many classes I have done and its 266 at this club and I came to this club with three stripes on my belt and a years experience.

A lot of us are all talking shit like a bunch of high school girls but no one says anything to the coaches because obviously we have heaps of respect for them.

I obviously can't do anything about it but yeah this is just an update.
8/4/14 5:16 AM
Chadderz
129 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Man, best thing to do is just ask. My instructor has always said at a grading "seriously guys, if anyone would like to ask any questions about their own grade after class they are more than welcome to, and I will tell them what they need to do to improve and advance to their next belt".

Nothing wrong with asking "excuse me sir, what do I need to do to advance to blue belt?". Phone Post 3.0
8/4/14 8:47 AM
JGooch
167 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

First you need to start speaking in a Brazilian accent. Next grow an old school rickson pony tail. Begin wearing speedos to all no gi classes. Refuse to wash you gi until your promoted. Start rolling with ur instructors and everytime they start to sweep pass or submit you walk them thru it like there a white belt and your showing them how to do it there not beating you. They will then realise how awesome you are, they might even skip you straight to purple.
8/4/14 9:51 AM
RockTheVote
448 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Joking aside I'd probably ask your instructor, in private, what you should be working on before your next promotion. Phone Post 3.0
8/4/14 11:29 AM
vegard
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Is this for real?

So a year later and you are still a white belt?

what rank are your instructors? Do they roll with you?

266 classes at your current club, 3 years as a white belt and winning comps?

That's crazy.

Something is wrong.
8/4/14 1:48 PM
PrettyBoy
45 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I feel you OP. We are in this together man. Phone Post 3.0
8/4/14 1:52 PM
JGooch
167 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I gotta admit if i faced u as a white belt i would be annoyed
8/4/14 2:24 PM
dignan
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 08/04/14 2:29 PM
Braxmax - My instructor only gives out belts when the student can verify that he hasn't posted anything about his rank on any Internet forum for at least 6 months.

So stfu and trane bro. Maybe in 6 months from now you'll learn that it doesn't really matter anyway. Phone Post 3.0

I find it nearly impossible to believe you are dominating in the fashion you state...if so be the white belt smashing everyone.

I'd also like to add:  In my experience, when someone is asking a question with a completely one sided argument, they are not telling the entire truth.  Specific facts and details are left out that would start to make the professors decisions reasonable.

I'd love to know where this fellow rolls or who the professor is.

8/4/14 5:52 PM
Phuckles
703 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

thegreatone287 - When I first started all I wanted to get was belts. This being while I was a white belt. Now I'm a blue I couldn't give two shits about what belt I am I just want to get better. I don't care if I was a blue for the rest of my days of learning. I just want to train. Phone Post
This to some extent. I mean I didn't only care about belts but I did. Now I give no fucks as a blue. There are blues in class with me stripes than me who couldn't sub me if I gift wrapped it but I give no fucks. I train because I love it, not for belts.

If your update us accurate I would worry that your coaches are sandbagging for tournament wins which isn't cool at all. Phone Post 3.0
8/4/14 6:01 PM
ElPulpo
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bro, no one likes a belt chaser.
8/4/14 6:46 PM
Soul Fighter Reese
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I recently heard a conversation between my Professor and another student. He was telling him how everyones journey in Jiu Jitsu is different. Some its about competition, some its about self defense. Others its just a personal quest so people get promoted based on different abilities and achievements. Ive been a purple belt for over 3 years, and Im still trying to figure this journey out. There are minimum guidelines put in place by the IBJJF for times at each belt BUT those are strictly guidelines. Not to say they don't apply but for a guy who has no competitive aspirations they would be pretty spot on. However an individual who competes every Worlds or Pan am's and never makes the podium they might take longer as they are on a competitive journey to be the best in the world. Who wants to be promoted to a higher belt if he's not competitive in his own division? Certainly not myself. Maybe your instructor sees potential for you to be a world champion, or maybe your lacking in your life away from the mats and he wants to see personal growth and development before promoting. Either way if you respect your Professor, and trust in him to teach you, trust in him to decide when your ready to move up. Getting promoted feels great but with each belt promotion comes more responsibility, and more pressure. Don't rush it man.
8/4/14 7:04 PM
dignan
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Soul Fighter Reese - I recently heard a conversation between my Professor and another student. He was telling him how everyones journey in Jiu Jitsu is different. Some its about competition, some its about self defense. Others its just a personal quest so people get promoted based on different abilities and achievements. Ive been a purple belt for over 3 years, and Im still trying to figure this journey out. There are minimum guidelines put in place by the IBJJF for times at each belt BUT those are strictly guidelines. Not to say they don't apply but for a guy who has no competitive aspirations they would be pretty spot on. However an individual who competes every Worlds or Pan am's and never makes the podium they might take longer as they are on a competitive journey to be the best in the world. Who wants to be promoted to a higher belt if he's not competitive in his own division? Certainly not myself. Maybe your instructor sees potential for you to be a world champion, or maybe your lacking in your life away from the mats and he wants to see personal growth and development before promoting. Either way if you respect your Professor, and trust in him to teach you, trust in him to decide when your ready to move up. Getting promoted feels great but with each belt promotion comes more responsibility, and more pressure. Don't rush it man.

VU

8/4/14 7:09 PM
SportScience

dignan - 
Braxmax - My instructor only gives out belts when the student can verify that he hasn't posted anything about his rank on any Internet forum for at least 6 months.

I find it nearly impossible to believe you are dominating in the fashion you state...if so be the white belt smashing everyone.

I'd also like to add:  In my experience, when someone is asking a question with a completely one sided argument, they are not telling the entire truth.  Specific facts and details are left out that would start to make the professors decisions reasonable.

I'd love to know where this fellow rolls or who the professor is.

So to make things clearer, I do not win every competition I enter. I have entered around 7 comps and have 3 gold medals and 1 silver.

I am not amazing at Jiu Jitsu by any stretch, that being said I roll with other blue belts as they come through our club and when I have trained at other clubs and I beat them 50% of the time but who knows if they are rolling light or if they have other issues.

I am trying to build up the courage to show my instructor this forum post and if I do that I will post my name and where I train.

I actually appreciate the feedback, but you guys say some cunty things.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.