UnderGround Forums

BJJGround Forum >> When do you give someone a blue belt?

8/4/14 8:20 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
RockTheVote
497 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I wouldn't show him this. You come off poorly early. I'd just approach him after class when no one else is around and just say something like "coach, I know it's not about the belt, but I was just wondering if there are some specific things I should be working on before I progress in rank some day." If he gives you shit about asking about rank you can tell him the truth. "You're my professor and I trust your judgement. I just want to make sure I'm heading the direction you want me headed." Phone Post 3.0
8/4/14 9:40 PM
Caught_clean
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I know a lot of the guys here are coming off holier then thou etc, but for real if you have been training well over 2 years and that many damn classes with multiple tournament wins... I think its pretty lame to not promote a white like that.

People can blame anything they want but I think its almost more offensive when people enter guys that good into beginner divisions anyways. I understand not promoting someone good to purple/brown/black based on loyalty and attitude but keeping someone at white who clearly isnt is just silly and says more about the instructor imo.
8/5/14 12:19 AM
BJJkilla
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 08/05/14 12:19 AM
submit a video to gracie university? i always thought this is how everyone got promoted.
8/5/14 1:33 AM
kying418
72 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Your instructor has never promoted anyone to blue belt?

Sounds very strange to me.
8/5/14 2:19 AM
EvilGumby
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

kying418 - Your instructor has never promoted anyone to blue belt?

^ This. That point is what jumped out at me. Is your instructor not a black belt perhaps so not comfortable doing anything beyond giving out stripes?

If he's never promoted anyone to blue I'd look to find out what's going on there first personally.
8/5/14 2:53 AM
SportScience
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

EvilGumby - 

^ This. That point is what jumped out at me. Is your instructor not a black belt perhaps so not comfortable doing anything beyond giving out stripes?

If he's never promoted anyone to blue I'd look to find out what's going on there first personally.

Yep, its what I keep thinking about.

We are a relatively new club, they have been open for 2 and a bit years. When I started my instructors were brown belts and soon after I started they got their black belts. I checked online and they are both legit black belts so that is not the problem.

I talked to my instructor about this and he said I need to use more techniques that he shows us in class to win the comps, and that is fair I won a match with an Electric Chair and I won another match with a Banana Split (Both Eddie Bravo moves). I was told today that by the end of the year there will be a handful of new blue belts. I do not think I will get my blue belt then but fuck man at least it gives me hope!
8/5/14 4:45 AM
ElPulpo
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

SportScience - 
EvilGumby - 

We are a relatively new club, they have been open for 2 and a bit years. When I started my instructors were brown belts and soon after I started they got their black belts. I checked online and they are both legit black belts so that is not the problem.

I talked to my instructor about this and he said I need to use more techniques that he shows us in class to win the comps, and that is fair I won a match with an Electric Chair and I won another match with a Banana Split (Both Eddie Bravo moves). I was told today that by the end of the year there will be a handful of new blue belts. I do not think I will get my blue belt then but fuck man at least it gives me hope!

This makes quite a bit of sense.
8/5/14 5:10 AM
MrMichaelz

OP, I'm in a similar situation. After reading some of the comments on here.. I don't feel so bad.
8/5/14 5:40 AM
falsecrack
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Caught_clean - I know a lot of the guys here are coming off holier then thou etc, but for real if you have been training well over 2 years and that many damn classes with multiple tournament wins... I think its pretty lame to not promote a white like that.

People can blame anything they want but I think its almost more offensive when people enter guys that good into beginner divisions anyways. I understand not promoting someone good to purple/brown/black based on loyalty and attitude but keeping someone at white who clearly isnt is just silly and says more about the instructor imo.

to be fair, his initial post has been edited and this thread is a year old.  at the time he made the thread it wasn't explained like this

8/7/14 1:57 PM
krept
87 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My opinion... While belt color may improve your confidence or self-worth, you ARE still training. Pigment on a belt doesn't sharpen your moves, improve your base or make your pressure any heavier.

IMO the real question is, are you learning what you should be learning for your level? If you ARE and you develop solid fundamentals, once you get past this bottleneck, you may not spend a whole lot of time at the other belts.

That is what people mean when they feel it's an ego issue, because it really shouldn't change your jiujitsu. On the other hand, ego is part of our self-preservation, and taking the situation as you explained it, you have valid and reasonable concerns.
8/7/14 5:00 PM
A_Butler
92 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ElPulpo -
SportScience - 
EvilGumby - 

I don't think that makes much sense. You can't tell a person what kind of Jiu jitsu they're going to do. Different stuff works for different people. Cole Miller is my coach. He's 6' 170, I'm 6'1" 210 with a completely different build. His coach is like 5'5" 140. There's no way we're doing the same techniques the same way. I call bs on holding someone back cause they're winning with something other than what you showed them. If you win a Jiu jitsu match with Jiu jitsu it counts. Period. Phone Post 3.0
8/7/14 5:08 PM
MTH
147 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

A_Butler - 
ElPulpo -
SportScience - 
EvilGumby - 

I don't think that makes much sense. You can't tell a person what kind of Jiu jitsu they're going to do. Different stuff works for different people. Cole Miller is my coach. He's 6' 170, I'm 6'1" 210 with a completely different build. His coach is like 5'5" 140. There's no way we're doing the same techniques the same way. I call bs on holding someone back cause they're winning with something other than what you showed them. If you win a Jiu jitsu match with Jiu jitsu it counts. Period. Phone Post 3.0

I agree with Butler.  Winning with jiu-jitsu is winning with jiu-jitsu.

To me, this sounds like a new school trying to establish "credibility" on the local tournament circuit by not promoting guys until they're way past due for promotions.  At this rate, they'll own every podium in the lower belts.  It's institutionalized sandbagging. 

8/7/14 5:23 PM
ElPulpo
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MTH - 
A_Butler - 
ElPulpo -
SportScience - 
EvilGumby - 

I agree with Butler.  Winning with jiu-jitsu is winning with jiu-jitsu.

To me, this sounds like a new school trying to establish "credibility" on the local tournament circuit by not promoting guys until they're way past due for promotions.  At this rate, they'll own every podium in the lower belts.  It's institutionalized sandbagging. 

I missed the part where he said "techniques to win the comps." That's a bullshit reason, and I agree that you can't demand a person to have an identical game. However, I interpreted it as his instructor wishing to see a greater understanding and application of the fundamentals, which is understandable. My bad.

If it is indeed an attempt to establish credibility, then I have no tolerance.
8/8/14 1:11 PM
John Nic

When dey pay me da 200$ for de test Phone Post 3.0
8/8/14 1:58 PM
nick1302
43 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MTH -

I would have a private discussion with your instructor. 

However, I'd be clear that it's not about "WHERE'S MY BLUE BELT, DAMMIT!!"  It's about, "I want to become a blue belt.  As my coach, what do you feel I need to do or have to get there?"

No instructor should be so insecure that they cannot answer questions like that. 

Frankly, I think it's pretty amazing that BJJ instructors as a general matter don't have short monthly chats with each long-term student to talk about your development.  In any other sport, that kind of discussion is common.  In BJJ, it's like it's supposed to be some sort of secret--the instructor just has a mystical standard in his head and one day, unbeknownest to you, you'll meet it. 

That's a great idea. Phone Post 3.0
8/8/14 10:50 PM
whatevermoo

good ole blue belt blue balls

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.