UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Galvao: Anderson was relieved after the loss

7/12/13 11:59 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1025 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

The post fight buzz on Anderson Silva losing hit title to Chris Weidman exceeds that of any other event in memory. The latest news comes from Brazil's Tatame, via google translate.

When Matt Hughes lost his title to BJ Penn in January of 2004 at UFC 46: Super Natural, he smiled in the ring afterwards. It is extraordinarily hard to win a world championship, but even harder still to keep it. The loss relieved Hughes of a pressure so few can truly understand, that comes with being a great champion in a combat sport.

Two time world BJJ champion Andre Galvao, a Team Nogueira teammate of Anderson Silva, said The Spider was relieved after the loss to Weidman.

"On the one hand this defeat was good for him," said Galvao. "He always won the fights, even when they had everything to lose. So, I think he will take a lesson from it all. When the fight ended, he came to himself. He was relieved to have taken that pressure off his back. But the record took a fall and when he fell, he became very sad and apologized for the whole team."

Galvao said further, that Silva was considering retirement before the Weidman fight.

"He became a celebrity, everyone knows who he is, had no peace anywhere," said Galvao. "He was tired. Win or lose, he was considering retiring, but I think this defeat will bring him more motivation to keep fighting."

Galvao also said the loss held lessons.

"Never underestimate opponents, regardless of who, we have to stay focused," said Galvao. "Anderson had a lot of pressure on him, always having to show that he is the best. After the fight he said he lost focus, he lost his emotional balance."

"There was a lack of humility. He lost his emotional balance. He is very confident and believed in himself... But this defeat humanized Anderson. Everyone thought he was a God who could win any time he wanted... This proves that no one is invincible. If he got a knockout doing that, everyone would be saying now that he is a genius, an unbeatable phenomenon."

"When he fights now, the weight is off, he'll fights looser, more comfortable, and does not have the pressure of having to defend the belt."

Read entire article... (original Portuguese)

7/12/13 12:21 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
UK Asylum
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Saying he lost focus isnt an excuse, its honesty.

if he said he was injured, that would definetly be an excuse.
7/12/13 12:27 PM
phillymmafan
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sub Phone Post 3.0
7/12/13 1:43 PM
JimmersonzGlove
466 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Galvao is the man.

7/12/13 1:54 PM
TheMessiah

That's how Fedor felt as well.., Phone Post 3.0
7/12/13 1:55 PM
MattyECB
178 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UK Asylum - Saying he lost focus isnt an excuse, its honesty.

Agreed, people don't understand the difference between an excuse and being introspective. Anytime you lose, there's got to be a reason, whether you use that reason to reflect upon yourself and improve or to deflect blame is the real issue.

He said himself in every interview after the fight, Weidman was better, I trained hard and did what I always do...

Now he's just trying to figure out what's his next move challenging. I thought AS would win this, but now I'm not so sure about the rematch. I'm expecting AS to come like a bat outta hell with something to prove, but Weidman has that Jones factor where you know he's gonna be even better the next fight...

It's like GSP used to be :'(
7/12/13 1:59 PM
MattyECB
178 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TheMessiah - That's how Fedor felt as well.., Phone Post 3.0

Fedor never really changed his style with age though and he had to give it up eventually.

I'm not so sure how AS will handle this. There's a real possibility he won't be able to fight like a whacky bitch anymore in which case we'll see if he can adapt his counterstriking to be a little less flamboyant lol

Not that he wasn't totally out of line last fight, but I'm expecting him to limit even the tamer taunts like pretending he's ali rope-a-doping.

RJJ had the same issue when he aged, you can't just turn off a style that's brought you success for so long, so when you age, you've got to figure out how to adapt it to your lessening reflexes, chin, or even just better competition to be frank.

AS used to fight alot more orthodox w/o all the taunting though so I think he'll be able to handle.
7/12/13 2:05 PM
JimmersonzGlove
466 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"Fedor never really changed his style with age though and he had to give it up eventually."

Fedor most definitely changed his style with age. He became a head hunter and less well rounded with his game plan.

7/12/13 2:39 PM
Jack Carter
544 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UK Asylum - Saying he lost focus isnt an excuse, its honesty.

If you don't think that it can be an excuse, you're a fool Phone Post 3.0
7/12/13 2:43 PM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
543 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Galvao is correct. Phone Post
7/12/13 2:46 PM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
543 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JimmersonzGlove -

"Fedor never really changed his style with age though and he had to give it up eventually."

Fedor most definitely changed his style with age. He became a head hunter and less well rounded with his game plan.

Yep, seems obvious to me that he stopped training hard and game planning like he once did. Phone Post
7/12/13 2:46 PM
Lite
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The relief was obvious in the post-fight interview. The lack of focus was obvious in the interviews before the fight. It's a shame you can't point this out without knocking Weidman and getting people all upset, which I why I would like to see him defend his title against some of the tough guys at 185 and not rematch Silva, who I think is emotionally done as a fighter, and was done before this fight.
7/12/13 2:50 PM
melendez
60 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jesus the Silva thrashers are already goin nuts about this whole "excuse thing" Galvao is just giving an opinion. Where in there are you guys finding an excuse?

7/12/13 2:54 PM
jjchgo
63 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JimmersonzGlove - 

Galvao is the man.

yep, this and very well said by the man!
7/12/13 3:06 PM
Jack Carter
544 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

melendez - 

Jesus the Silva thrashers are already goin nuts about this whole "excuse thing" Galvao is just giving an opinion. Where in there are you guys finding an excuse?

LMFAO!

Yeah, except it were the Silva loss deniers that brought it into the thread

Go read who brought up "excuse" first.

7/12/13 3:31 PM
PeaceThroughStrength

The mental aspect of fighting is huge.That is just as important as being physically fit.
Being mentally strong in a fight is a skill,and should be looked at like all other skills used in a fight.
If Silva really didn't want to fight anymore then he shouldn't have signed a contract,but I don't think that was the case.I'll take Silva at his word,I believe he trained hard and didn't want to lose to Weidman.

It's ok if people want a Introspection into Silva's mind and soul,but the reality is nobody knows for a fact,Its all speculation.If Anderson Silva beat Weidman that night then not one person would be talking about this.It would be how Weidman was all hype and how he had no business being in the cage with Silva.There where plenty of fans claiming that before the fight,and how they couldn't wait to rub it in once Silva destroyed Weidman.If Silva won that fight the same way Weidman did then Silva would be called a genius.So much hypocrisy.
7/12/13 4:39 PM
Fabefromfort

What pressure ? He handpicked a bunch of Tomato cans to destroy, and toy with ! The UFC allowed him to do that ! Yes he is a very skilled fighter, but he took too many pages out of Roy Jones's book. Jones taught Anderson how to take soft touches, and avoid the threats to his title. He also taught him to clown. Every single one of Silva's taunts and clowning, he learned from his idol, Roy Jones, who picked them up from Ray Leonard, and Ali. Roy Jones added to the act by putting his hands down, and avoiding punches well inside the opponent's range. This is the one that was fatal to Silva. In addition Silva was continuing to clown well after he took some heavy shots, when his senses are dulled, and his bell is rung, which added fuel to an already burning, sinking ship. Another thought. Pre-fight Anderson said Weidman had two chances to win, and he only had one. Yes, we all know that he said after the fight the crowd would be cheering Weidman, Weidman. Maybe in a roundabout way, he let it happen. He did look resigned to it. All the kissing of his corner, and prefight preps pointed to it. It looks fixed, but, you don't need it to be. Weidman is that good that you can just come in at 99 percent and tip the scales and lose. If you envision it you make it happen. Silva prepared for the loss. Maybe he didn't think it would end like this. I just don't like that he robbed me of so many good fights to watch by taking on Tomato Cans throughout his career.
7/12/13 5:40 PM
HeHitsMeBecauseHeLovesMe

Yeah, he was relieved of his title. Phone Post
7/12/13 6:01 PM
phillymmafan
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fabefromfort - What pressure ? He handpicked a bunch of Tomato cans to destroy, and toy with ! The UFC allowed him to do that ! Yes he is a very skilled fighter, but he took too many pages out of Roy Jones's book. Jones taught Anderson how to take soft touches, and avoid the threats to his title. He also taught him to clown. Every single one of Silva's taunts and clowning, he learned from his idol, Roy Jones, who picked them up from Ray Leonard, and Ali. Roy Jones added to the act by putting his hands down, and avoiding punches well inside the opponent's range. This is the one that was fatal to Silva. In addition Silva was continuing to clown well after he took some heavy shots, when his senses are dulled, and his bell is rung, which added fuel to an already burning, sinking ship. Another thought. Pre-fight Anderson said Weidman had two chances to win, and he only had one. Yes, we all know that he said after the fight the crowd would be cheering Weidman, Weidman. Maybe in a roundabout way, he let it happen. He did look resigned to it. All the kissing of his corner, and prefight preps pointed to it. It looks fixed, but, you don't need it to be. Weidman is that good that you can just come in at 99 percent and tip the scales and lose. If you envision it you make it happen. Silva prepared for the loss. Maybe he didn't think it would end like this. I just don't like that he robbed me of so many good fights to watch by taking on Tomato Cans throughout his career.
Fucking ass clown Phone Post 3.0
7/12/13 6:07 PM
melendez
60 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

phillymmafan - 
Fabefromfort - What pressure ? He handpicked a bunch of Tomato cans to destroy, and toy with ! The UFC allowed him to do that ! Yes he is a very skilled fighter, but he took too many pages out of Roy Jones's book. Jones taught Anderson how to take soft touches, and avoid the threats to his title. He also taught him to clown. Every single one of Silva's taunts and clowning, he learned from his idol, Roy Jones, who picked them up from Ray Leonard, and Ali. Roy Jones added to the act by putting his hands down, and avoiding punches well inside the opponent's range. This is the one that was fatal to Silva. In addition Silva was continuing to clown well after he took some heavy shots, when his senses are dulled, and his bell is rung, which added fuel to an already burning, sinking ship. Another thought. Pre-fight Anderson said Weidman had two chances to win, and he only had one. Yes, we all know that he said after the fight the crowd would be cheering Weidman, Weidman. Maybe in a roundabout way, he let it happen. He did look resigned to it. All the kissing of his corner, and prefight preps pointed to it. It looks fixed, but, you don't need it to be. Weidman is that good that you can just come in at 99 percent and tip the scales and lose. If you envision it you make it happen. Silva prepared for the loss. Maybe he didn't think it would end like this. I just don't like that he robbed me of so many good fights to watch by taking on Tomato Cans throughout his career.
Fucking ass clown Phone Post 3.0

I love Philly

7/13/13 10:43 AM
Fryedtakyama owns me, it's normal

JimmersonzGlove -

Seriously. Sometimes posts make it clear how much people understand what they are watching. Phone Post 3.0
7/13/13 12:12 PM
Devlin
82 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

OnlyTheStrongSurvive -
JimmersonzGlove -

Yep, seems obvious to me that he stopped training hard and game planning like he once did. Phone Post
He also quit lifting weights in 2009 and had begun losing in sambo. Phone Post
7/13/13 12:35 PM
Mertvaya Ruka

well well well, I said the same thing after the fight and was voted down like some troll.

you could see after the 1st his corner was concerned cos they saw him lose it in there.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.