UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Weidman 1000% in for super fight with Jones

7/12/13 12:25 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
910 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Chris Weidman doesn't have a single defense of his middleweight title on the books yet, yet there is already talk of potential superfights for him down the road. ESPN.com recently spoke to the new champion about this fight with Anderson Silva and a potential super fight with lightheavyweight champion Jon Jones:

Was there any one of Silva’s antics inside the Octagon that irritated you the most? 

Just the excessiveness of it. I was just like, yo, you’re not punching me and I don’t know, like, bro … I mean if you could do all that, punch me in the face. I actually let him punch me in the face; there was one time where I just said, "hit me." He punched me [Weidman points to his chin] and I said, "hit me again." He punched me, and then I could hear my coaches yelling, “Wideman! Stop! Stop!” I’m like, all right, and I circled out. I was just like, bro, what are you doing? I’m laughing inside and saying, I’m winning the fight. It got to the point where I wanted to hit him, so it motivated me to put my hands on him. 

If Silva had won the fight against you, there was talk about possible superfights for Silva against either Jon Jones or Georges St-Pierre. Now that for the time being that’s not going to happen, would you ever consider a fight against either of those two guys? 

Definitely not against GSP. First off, I would never call out someone who was a lot smaller than me. I’ve trained with him before, and he’s just a smaller guy. I’m not the type of guy who is going to be like, Hey, you want to fight? I’ve got Anderson Silva on my mind, but if the fans wanted to see that fight [against Jones] and the UFC wanted it to happen, I’m 1000 percent in. I asked to fight Jon Jones on 10 days’ notice back when Dan Henderson got hurt. But I wasn’t a big enough name at that point, so they were like, no. 

Your goal has always been to be champion. Now that you have reached the pinnacle of your profession, how have you readjusted your goals? 

My ultimate goal was always that I want to be known as one of the greatest of all time. The first step was obviously to be UFC champion. I did that, and now it’s time to take one fight at a time and really just set myself apart from the group. That’s my goal.

read entire article... 

7/12/13 12:36 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
i_shogun_ruas
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lol @ weidman jones being a super fight Phone Post 3.0
7/12/13 12:37 PM
BertR

He just won the championship after catching a guy unprepared because he was taunting. Let him put together a sizable, dominant winning streak before "superfight" comes into play
7/12/13 12:38 PM
Jesus KO'd stayrad
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BertR - He just won the championship after catching a guy unprepared because he was taunting. Let him put together a sizable, dominant winning streak before "superfight" comes into play
Unprepared ? Did Anderson not know they were fighting ? Phone Post 3.0
7/12/13 12:41 PM
Leck Brosnar

Jesus KO'd stayrad - 
BertR - He just won the championship after catching a guy unprepared because he was taunting. Let him put together a sizable, dominant winning streak before "superfight" comes into play

Only had like 6 months to train, if he had 7 he would've dodged that combo.
7/12/13 12:42 PM
Vaginal Tear
107 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I say do it Chris. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain. Those 2 back to back wins would be better than any 2 back to back wins in the history of MMA. Phone Post 3.0
7/12/13 12:42 PM
nolabrum
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm all for Weidman fighting Jones. But Weidman has to out in work at 185 first. Maybe after a few dominant wins. Phone Post 3.0
7/12/13 12:43 PM
Infamous Ed

Vaginal Tear - I say do it Chris. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain. Those 2 back to back wins would be better than any 2 back to back wins in the history of MMA. Phone Post 3.0
Jones is gonna be around for awhile, I say let Chris settle in as the champion first Phone Post 3.0
7/12/13 12:43 PM
Chris27

Sorry but no.

The super fights now are

Jones vs Cain HW title

Bendo vs Aldo LW title

Ronda vs Cyborg BW title

If Silva wins back his title a fight with Jones or a 178 catchweight vs GSP still would work.  I think it would actually make GSP/Silva at 178 more interesting knowing that Silva lost to Chris the first time.

Might give GSP more of a chance in some peoples minds which makes the fight alot more interesting.

7/12/13 12:46 PM
Il Duce
87 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Love the attitude!

Man, you guys love to bitch. Phone Post 3.0
7/12/13 12:49 PM
Jesus KO'd stayrad
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Leck Brosnar -
Jesus KO'd stayrad - 

Only had like 6 months to train, if he had 7 he would've dodged that combo.
You are most probably right man, that extra 4 weeks would of had his dancing a bit better he would of had more time to work with usher Phone Post 3.0
7/12/13 12:51 PM
da Vinci 81
100 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Did you guys even read?

He wasn't calling out jones, he was saying if that fight came up he would take it. That's all. Phone Post 3.0
7/12/13 1:06 PM
Kostakio
385 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Vaginal Tear - I say do it Chris. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain. Those 2 back to back wins would be better than any 2 back to back wins in the history of MMA. Phone Post 3.0
This. Phone Post 3.0
7/12/13 1:06 PM
Fan of fanboys
271 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Love this part:
Definitely not against GSP. First off, I would never call out someone who was a lot smaller than me. I’ve trained with him before, and he’s just a smaller guy. I’m not the type of guy who is going to be like, Hey, you want to fight?

I asked to fight Jon Jones on 10 days’ notice back when Dan Henderson got hurt. But I wasn’t a big enough name at that point, so they were like, no. Phone Post 3.0
7/12/13 1:10 PM
British101

Why the hate on chris for saying yes? He got asked the question it's not like he's calling jones out or anything, if he said no he'd get hate for that too Phone Post 3.0
7/12/13 1:13 PM
KG1010
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If NY ever legalizes the sport that fight would have to be at msg. Phone Post
7/12/13 1:14 PM
6ULDV8
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Definitely not against GSP. First off, I would never call out someone who was a lot smaller than me. I’ve trained with him before, and he’s just a smaller guy. I’m not the type of guy who is going to be like, Hey, you want to fight?

What a damn boss.  God I love this kid.

7/12/13 1:15 PM
Bucephalus

He's saying that he would kick George's ass is what he is saying. He's saying that it wouldn't even be a fair fight. Damn.
7/12/13 1:18 PM
Augustus Caesar
912 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If he goes on a run at middleweight, sure, why not. But I think middleweight and light heavyweight are too big of a difference in size to make a superfight. Superfights should be made with weight classes that are 10 pounds apart, not 20 lbs. 

7/12/13 1:19 PM
Fan of fanboys
271 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bucephalus - He's saying that he would kick George's ass is what he is saying. He's saying that it wouldn't even be a fair fight. Damn.
Haha Phone Post 3.0
7/12/13 1:20 PM
Wasa-B
256 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Be a cool fight but it wouldnt be a Superfight (just yet).
7/12/13 1:23 PM
Kostakio
385 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fan of fanboys -
Bucephalus - He's saying that he would kick George's ass is what he is saying. He's saying that it wouldn't even be a fair fight. Damn.
Haha Phone Post 3.0
. Phone Post 3.0
7/12/13 1:30 PM
DJmixmasterMobbie

6ULDV8 - 

What a damn boss.  God I love this kid.

beep
7/12/13 1:31 PM
BrandonWaltonMusic

He doesn't stand a chance against Jon Jones.
7/12/13 1:34 PM
jcblass

Only it wouldn't be a Super Fight because the guy holding the title was a 3-1 underdog, and a few years ago, no one ever heard of him. As such, his body of work is lacking. All the variables that make something a superfight are lost as long as Weidman is the champion. If 4 years down the road, he is still champion, then perhaps it could be a superfight. Until then, Silva vs. Jones would be a larger draw, even if Silva isn't the champion.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.