UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Ronda being moved to co-main event

7/14/13 10:59 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
If it ain't Dutch, it ain't much
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

shaqitup - 

650k is probably double what it would have been.

I disagree, they would of put a big time co-main on it and stacked the card like they do for all NYE shows. The last few NYE shows did:
2012 - UFC 155 Cain vs JDS did 590,000 buys
2011 - UFC 141 Lesnar vs Overeem did 750,000 buys

Also Rondas last show did around 500k:
http://www.fightopinion.com/2013/03/05/dave-meltzer-ronda-rousey-ppv/

Not to mention she will have a whole season of Tuf to promote her fight.

Please explain logically why it would get 325k buys
7/14/13 11:05 PM
bigraydaddy
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

kevsh - Or ... the UFC realized that Rousey isn't going to sell PPVs by herself. Sure she did it once - it was rather historic - but are fans going to be willing to keep paying to see her tap out opponents in the 1st?

Kind of like buying a PPV to watch Mike Tyson knock out a fool in 2 minutes in the '80's
7/14/13 11:06 PM
ufc98newb
108 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I was thinking about this earlier today, and wondering how that works. I really hope she is not getting a % of every ppv sold after whatever the magic number is. I know I sound dickish not wanting somebody else "to have nice things" but there is no way she should be getting a piece of all of those buys and making like 5mil+ on the backs of silva and weidman. 

7/14/13 11:08 PM
gokudamus

MMALOGIC -

i believe you only get ppv if you're the main event.... that's why dana was talking about moving ronda to superbowl weekend... that was probably a way to negotiate something to keep her on the card.  They're probably paying her on a 450k buy estimate.

No. For example Alvarez wanted to be on GSP card. Phone Post 3.0
7/14/13 11:09 PM
gokudamus

Kazp306 -
gokudamus - She's going to make a shitload of money. I would bet she's very very happy kinda sucks for a guy like Ben Henderson tho who I think hasn't been on a ppv as champ. Phone Post 3.0
He's pretty vocal about how he loves being on free shows, so he can get more exposure to the average joe. He tries to put on good fights to get people interested that normally wouldn't be. Phone Post 3.0
Probably just restating bs Malki told him to appease him while he caters to his #1 dog bones jones Phone Post 3.0
7/14/13 11:16 PM
xXJayRobXx
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

kevsh - Or ... the UFC realized that Rousey isn't going to sell PPVs by herself. Sure she did it once - it was rather historic - but are fans going to be willing to keep paying to see her tap out opponents in the 1st?
Did people like watch mike Tyson KO opponents every fight? Lol. Oh ya I forgot, I hate watching finishes. Phone Post 3.0
7/14/13 11:29 PM

ufc98newb - 

I was thinking about this earlier today, and wondering how that works. I really hope she is not getting a % of every ppv sold after whatever the magic number is. I know I sound dickish not wanting somebody else "to have nice things" but there is no way she should be getting a piece of all of those buys and making like 5mil+ on the backs of silva and weidman. 

Even if it does 1.4 million and you include her sponsorships, I doubt she will make that much money. Thing is I assume Ronda, Weidman and Silva will all get a % of PPV which means UFC will not make as much as they could if they did Weidman and Silva II on their own card.

What I find funny is people are bitching some fighters are not getting paid and now a few are bitching one is making too much, lol.
7/15/13 12:20 AM
Glovegate

She's being moved to co-main because she's not a proven draw yet.  Maybe she will be, who knows what kinda stuff people will pay for.  But she's not proven.

She got more media coverage than Brock ever did and she did less than half of his prime era buys.  400-500k, with more mainstream coverage than any fighter in UFC history, is not impressive.  It's not good by UFC star standards.

And the people who are still optomistic about her don't have a leg upon which their predictions might stand.  Many of you said she was gunna do way more buys than she actually did.

The real question is, now that the novelty of a woman in the UFC is over and the media has moved on, will she be able to even match those numbers again when she's carrying a card.  Forget about exceeding them.

7/15/13 12:58 AM
JerodR
106 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

xXJayRobXx -
kevsh - Or ... the UFC realized that Rousey isn't going to sell PPVs by herself. Sure she did it once - it was rather historic - but are fans going to be willing to keep paying to see her tap out opponents in the 1st?
Did people like watch mike Tyson KO opponents every fight? Lol. Oh ya I forgot, I hate watching finishes. Phone Post 3.0
Was just about to type this.... Phone Post 3.0
7/15/13 1:18 AM

Edited: 07/15/13 1:20 AM
Glovegate - 

She's being moved to co-main because she's not a proven draw yet.  Maybe she will be, who knows what kinda stuff people will pay for.  But she's not proven.

She got more media coverage than Brock ever did and she did less than half of his prime era buys.  400-500k, with more mainstream coverage than any fighter in UFC history, is not impressive.  It's not good by UFC star standards.

And the people who are still optomistic about her don't have a leg upon which their predictions might stand.  Many of you said she was gunna do way more buys than she actually did.

The real question is, now that the novelty of a woman in the UFC is over and the media has moved on, will she be able to even match those numbers again when she's carrying a card.  Forget about exceeding them.

A LOT of assumptions in your post.

First, numerous reports in the media about Zuffa NOT wanting to move her to co-main because they believe she is a draw. She has also been on one card with 500k buys, not sure how anyone can say that is bad. It was exceptionally good and is why Zuffa wanted her to headline this card and why Fox wanted her on TUF.

You made a laughable comment in your next post, how is 500k not good by UFC standards, it was one of the higher purchased cards of the year, go back and look at the numbers if you don't believe me.

Third paragraph is also funny because if you go back and look at the threads on the UG from before her fight, you would know the vast majority predicted around 200-300k buys and said it would be a flop. In fact I won a screen bet because of that.

Fourth paragraph is also another assumption, how do you know that the "Novelty" of WMMA is over in the UFC? Anything to back that up other then your opinion? We will see when she is headlining her next PPV but you should know she still gets more attention mainstream then 99% of UFC fighters and she even gets more attention from the hardcores on sites like this then 99% of the UFC fighters. Look at all the threads that involve her, I doubt you can name 4-5 fighters who have more threads about them in the past year.
7/15/13 1:56 AM

AlexanderTheGOAT - Who give a shit? Rhonda would run her white ass out of a Target even in the middle of checking out if she saw Cyborg in the food section buying popcorn. Phone Post 3.0

Um she accepted a fight with her at one point if she wanted to do VADA testing and Cyborg said f-no. We all know why she wouldn't do it now, but thats besides the point.

Also, she said she would fight her at 135, and Cyborg ran away scared because she would be tested in the UFC.

Also before you say Ronda was at 145 before, who cares? Most fighters start at a higher weight and when they move up in competition they move down in weight. If you followed her Judo career, you would know she is a 135lb fighter. Cyborg would also be if she stopped taking her supplements. Funny how Dolce said she could make it no problem and Tito said she was half way there and then they leave UFC and say it's impossible.
7/15/13 2:06 AM
ufc98newb
108 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If it ain't Dutch, it ain't much - 
ufc98newb - 

Even if it does 1.4 million and you include her sponsorships, I doubt she will make that much money. Thing is I assume Ronda, Weidman and Silva will all get a % of PPV which means UFC will not make as much as they could if they did Weidman and Silva II on their own card.

What I find funny is people are bitching some fighters are not getting paid and now a few are bitching one is making too much, lol.

-100,000 - 175,000 buys - $1 per buy

-175,000 - 300,000 buys - $1.50 per buy

-300,000 - 330,000 buys - $2 per buy

-330,000 - plus buys - $3 per buy

this is what Randy's scale was. If it is similar to this, she makes well over 3mil on a 1.4m selling card. IMO, at least 2 mil of that should be split in some way between silva and weidman.

And for the record, I've never had a problem with the ufc pay scale, for the most part, but I do believe that the very few guys that have proven to be able to really move the needle on sales, should be compensated similarly to boxers. The GSP's and the brock's of the world ought to be making 8-10mil. 

7/15/13 2:21 AM
gokudamus

If it ain't Dutch, it ain't much -
ufc98newb - 

She will make over a million Phone Post 3.0
7/15/13 3:32 AM
Glovegate

Edited: 07/15/13 3:37 AM

"First, numerous reports in the media about Zuffa NOT wanting to move her to co-main because they believe she is a draw. She has also been on one card with 500k buys, not sure how anyone can say that is bad. It was exceptionally good and is why Zuffa wanted her to headline this card and why Fox wanted her on TUF."

There seems to be a lot of buzz around her, that's why they want her.  All I was saying was that she has only headlined one card so you don't know if the media attention surrounding her debut will translate into long term drawing power.  IT MIGHT.  I didn't say it definitely wouldn't.

"You made a laughable comment in your next post, how is 500k not good by UFC standards, it was one of the higher purchased cards of the year, go back and look at the numbers if you don't believe me."

I said it's not good by UFC star standards, not UFC standards.  And I'm right.

"Third paragraph is also funny because if you go back and look at the threads on the UG from before her fight, you would know the vast majority predicted around 200-300k buys and said it would be a flop. In fact I won a screen bet because of that."

I didn't say everyone making predictions, I said the people who are optimistic about her.  Those people got their predictions wrong too.  I guess everyone got their predictions wrong so maybe we shouldn't even have this conversation.

"Fourth paragraph is also another assumption, how do you know that the "Novelty" of WMMA is over in the UFC? Anything to back that up other then your opinion? We will see when she is headlining her next PPV but you should know she still gets more attention mainstream then 99% of UFC fighters and she even gets more attention from the hardcores on sites like this then 99% of the UFC fighters. Look at all the threads that involve her, I doubt you can name 4-5 fighters who have more threads about them in the past year.
"

First, if you think the mainstream media is going to cover her next fight with the same intensity as her first, I don't know what to tell you.  They covered the first woman in the ring, that story has been done now.

Second, it doesn't matter if she gets more attention than 99% of UFC fighters.  99% of UFC fighters aren't selling shows.  That 1% of Jones and GSPs are.

And third, yes there are threads about her around here.  But UG Blog shoving every random thought that pops into her head down our throats doesn't necessarily mean ordinary mma fans will buy her cards.

"Also, she said she would fight her at 135, and Cyborg ran away scared because she would be tested in the UFC."

It was Ronda who dropped down first, saying she would fight Cyborg someday, just not now.  This was as soon as people started to talk about a fight between them.  She said she would win the belt at 135 then fight Cyborg.  As soon as she won, it was Cyborg's job to come to the champ, in Ronda's opinion.  Both women have knocks against them, as it were.  So don't try to pretend this is all on Cyborg.  Ronda saw a fight with her on the horizon and dropped right down.

And I can offer JDS a fight at 185, doesn't absolve me of anything.

7/15/13 1:14 PM
McCorkledbyMartialArtsMixed
171 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MMALOGIC - 

i believe you only get ppv if you're the main event.... that's why dana was talking about moving ronda to superbowl weekend... that was probably a way to negotiate something to keep her on the card.  They're probably paying her on a 450k buy estimate.

I believe you have no fucking idea as usual and just post things you make up as fact. You know who gets ppv points? Whoever negotiates it. And you do not know who that is.
7/15/13 1:19 PM
Aaron Becker

good, I wouldn't buy a ppv with a womens fight as the main event anyways but I still won't be buying this ppv either since a womens fight is the co main
7/15/13 1:23 PM
PrettyBoy
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

For Ronda being such a draw the UFC sure has given her a fuck load of help on her two UFC cards.

First Henderson vs Machida and now Wiedman vs Silva 2.

If she gets a ppv percentage it almost is like the UFC is trying to drastically inflate the ppv numbers in her favor. Nobody has got such preferential treatment in the history of the company. Phone Post 3.0
7/15/13 1:28 PM
kevsh
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ThickS0lid N Right - 
SteveD - 

After what I saw last night... Honda doesn't interest me. Cyborg at a fair catchweight, would maul her into oblivion.

Let me get this right, because you think a better fighter exists (Cyborg>Rousey) you are no longer interested in watching her fight?

If thats the case are you interested in watching fighters like Pat Barry, Roy Nelson, Mark Hunt, Cerrone, Diaz Brothers, etc.. fight because they are not the best at their weight class but still put on a heck of a show.
Not even its like saying you didn't like Anderson because you think jones Is better.. They aren't in the same weight class or organization for that matter Phone Post 3.0

That is a very good example.

I really don't get the hate for WMMA, they put on great fights.

Whats funny is the same people who are on here saying they're not as skilled as the guys so they don't want to pay for it, will pay to go to the local amateur show in their hometown. I just don't get it.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I just don't like the idea of women fighting. It's not because they are less skilled or there is a lack of stars, it's just the fact they are women, period.

On the other hand I have no issue that women do want to compete, more power to them. It's their life and their choice.
7/15/13 2:10 PM
JerodR
106 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Me during an actual Rousey fight...

Hey Ronda's fighting next. Cool, I need to go to the bathroom really quick and grab a drink.

Alright, what did I miss? Why is she standing there with the ref already?

WTF do you mean the fight is over!?

Damn it.. Let me rewind it so I can see what happened...
7/15/13 2:40 PM
The Lurker Below

SteveD - 
ThickS0lid N Right - 
SteveD - 

After what I saw last night... Honda doesn't interest me. Cyborg at a fair catchweight, would maul her into oblivion.

Let me get this right, because you think a better fighter exists (Cyborg>Rousey) you are no longer interested in watching her fight?

If thats the case are you interested in watching fighters like Pat Barry, Roy Nelson, Mark Hunt, Cerrone, Diaz Brothers, etc.. fight because they are not the best at their weight class but still put on a heck of a show.
Not even its like saying you didn't like Anderson because you think jones Is better.. They aren't in the same weight class or organization for that matter Phone Post 3.0

Whats funny is the same people who are on here saying they're not as skilled as the guys so they don't want to pay for it, will pay to go to the local amateur show in their hometown. I just don't get it.

LOL, I actually think the women are more skilled. They have to depend on technique do to a lack of physical power. I love womens MMA for the record.

I disagree, the majority of womens fights are a step back in the evolution chain of fighting.

sounds offensive, which is not my intention it just appears to be obvious that the set ups are missing in most fights and there is a massive drop in technical ability when comparing top tier to top tier and low tier to low tier athletes.

I can't help but feel like I'm watching fights from 10 years ago.
7/15/13 3:15 PM
RickTheRula125

SteveD -
ThickS0lid N Right - 
SteveD - 

LOL, I actually think the women are more skilled. They have to depend on technique do to a lack of physical power. I love womens MMA for the record.

I disagree, I find alot of the WMMA fights to be exciting but definitely not as skilled nor as athletic overall. BUT I think there are some really intriguing WMMA match ups to be made so I think the future is definitely bright just not quite there yet. Phone Post 3.0
7/15/13 3:16 PM
RickTheRula125

The Lurker Below -
SteveD - 
ThickS0lid N Right - 
SteveD - 

I disagree, the majority of womens fights are a step back in the evolution chain of fighting.

sounds offensive, which is not my intention it just appears to be obvious that the set ups are missing in most fights and there is a massive drop in technical ability when comparing top tier to top tier and low tier to low tier athletes.

I can't help but feel like I'm watching fights from 10 years ago.
Lol you portrayed my thoughts alot better then I did. Agree 100% Phone Post 3.0
7/15/13 3:41 PM

Doctor NPD - 
kevsh - Or ... the UFC realized that Rousey isn't going to sell PPVs by herself. Sure she did it once - it was rather historic - but are fans going to be willing to keep paying to see her tap out opponents in the 1st?

Of course they are, they want to see if someone can beat her.

After this card she will be the biggest draw in UFC history with 2 or more fights on PPV as she will average 1 mil + PPV buys per fight. Granted that will go down over time but I think she will always be a draw. A lot of girls and people who normally don't watch UFC will order her fights.

Also, the reason they put this fight on the card is because it was the only choice UFC had. Look at UFCs schedule, they couldn't really add another PPV date and only two places it made sense was in Vegas or on the Super Bowl card and I don't think the Super Bowl card will sell as well as the Vegas show. If they wanted it in Dallas or to have it on it's own show, they would have to put it off until March of next year which is a long ways away and allows some of the hype to die down.

Uhhhhhhh what? How will she average 1 mil+ PPV buys per fight? UFC 157 only did 450K buys. She isn't a draw - the "first WMMA fight in UFC history" was just a sideshow.

Rumor from Meltzer was it went over 500k if you read the article, so it would have to draw 1.5 for her to average that. You are correct.

Also, that is a big assumption saying she isn't a draw when she still gets more threads on this forum and more main stream attn then almost any other fighter.
7/15/13 3:41 PM

Doctor NPD - 

Of course they are, they want to see if someone can beat her.

After this card she will be the biggest draw in UFC history with 2 or more fights on PPV as she will average 1 mil + PPV buys per fight. Granted that will go down over time but I think she will always be a draw. A lot of girls and people who normally don't watch UFC will order her fights.

Also, the reason they put this fight on the card is because it was the only choice UFC had. Look at UFCs schedule, they couldn't really add another PPV date and only two places it made sense was in Vegas or on the Super Bowl card and I don't think the Super Bowl card will sell as well as the Vegas show. If they wanted it in Dallas or to have it on it's own show, they would have to put it off until March of next year which is a long ways away and allows some of the hype to die down.

Uhhhhhhh what? How will she average 1 mil+ PPV buys per fight? UFC 157 only did 450K buys. She isn't a draw - the "first WMMA fight in UFC history" was just a sideshow.

Rumor from Meltzer was it went over 500k if you read the article, so it would have to draw 1.5 for her to average that. You are correct.

Also, that is a big assumption saying she isn't a draw when she still gets more threads on this forum and more main stream attn then almost any other fighter.
7/15/13 3:46 PM

ufc98newb - 
ufc98newb - 

-100,000 - 175,000 buys - $1 per buy

-175,000 - 300,000 buys - $1.50 per buy

-300,000 - 330,000 buys - $2 per buy

-330,000 - plus buys - $3 per buy

this is what Randy's scale was. If it is similar to this, she makes well over 3mil on a 1.4m selling card. IMO, at least 2 mil of that should be split in some way between silva and weidman.

And for the record, I've never had a problem with the ufc pay scale, for the most part, but I do believe that the very few guys that have proven to be able to really move the needle on sales, should be compensated similarly to boxers. The GSP's and the brock's of the world ought to be making 8-10mil. 

No one knows what her contract is, it might be less then what you have shown. Then again, it might be more.

I disagree that the money should be split between the other fighters because this is what her contract states. It's no different then the argument that a promoter makes when a less known fighter becomes a big draw and is making less, the fighter has to follow through with the contract. I think it's safe to say Weidman, Silva and Rousey will all be getting paid for this card which is a good thing.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.