UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Ronda being moved to co-main event

7/15/13 3:47 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
If it ain't Dutch, it ain't much
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Doctor NPD - 
If it ain't Dutch, it ain't much - 
kevsh - Or ... the UFC realized that Rousey isn't going to sell PPVs by herself. Sure she did it once - it was rather historic - but are fans going to be willing to keep paying to see her tap out opponents in the 1st?

Of course they are, they want to see if someone can beat her.

After this card she will be the biggest draw in UFC history with 2 or more fights on PPV as she will average 1 mil + PPV buys per fight. Granted that will go down over time but I think she will always be a draw. A lot of girls and people who normally don't watch UFC will order her fights.

Also, the reason they put this fight on the card is because it was the only choice UFC had. Look at UFCs schedule, they couldn't really add another PPV date and only two places it made sense was in Vegas or on the Super Bowl card and I don't think the Super Bowl card will sell as well as the Vegas show. If they wanted it in Dallas or to have it on it's own show, they would have to put it off until March of next year which is a long ways away and allows some of the hype to die down.

Uhhhhhhh what? How will she average 1 mil+ PPV buys per fight? UFC 157 only did 450K buys. She isn't a draw - the "first WMMA fight in UFC history" was just a sideshow.

If her second fight did 1.55 she would be over a million per show. Obviously that number will go down in her third fight but it's interesting non the less.
7/15/13 3:55 PM

Glovegate - 

"First, numerous reports in the media about Zuffa NOT wanting to move her to co-main because they believe she is a draw. She has also been on one card with 500k buys, not sure how anyone can say that is bad. It was exceptionally good and is why Zuffa wanted her to headline this card and why Fox wanted her on TUF."

There seems to be a lot of buzz around her, that's why they want her.  All I was saying was that she has only headlined one card so you don't know if the media attention surrounding her debut will translate into long term drawing power.  IT MIGHT.  I didn't say it definitely wouldn't.

"You made a laughable comment in your next post, how is 500k not good by UFC standards, it was one of the higher purchased cards of the year, go back and look at the numbers if you don't believe me."

I said it's not good by UFC star standards, not UFC standards.  And I'm right.

"Third paragraph is also funny because if you go back and look at the threads on the UG from before her fight, you would know the vast majority predicted around 200-300k buys and said it would be a flop. In fact I won a screen bet because of that."

I didn't say everyone making predictions, I said the people who are optimistic about her.  Those people got their predictions wrong too.  I guess everyone got their predictions wrong so maybe we shouldn't even have this conversation.

"Fourth paragraph is also another assumption, how do you know that the "Novelty" of WMMA is over in the UFC? Anything to back that up other then your opinion? We will see when she is headlining her next PPV but you should know she still gets more attention mainstream then 99% of UFC fighters and she even gets more attention from the hardcores on sites like this then 99% of the UFC fighters. Look at all the threads that involve her, I doubt you can name 4-5 fighters who have more threads about them in the past year.
"

First, if you think the mainstream media is going to cover her next fight with the same intensity as her first, I don't know what to tell you.  They covered the first woman in the ring, that story has been done now.

Second, it doesn't matter if she gets more attention than 99% of UFC fighters.  99% of UFC fighters aren't selling shows.  That 1% of Jones and GSPs are.

And third, yes there are threads about her around here.  But UG Blog shoving every random thought that pops into her head down our throats doesn't necessarily mean ordinary mma fans will buy her cards.

"Also, she said she would fight her at 135, and Cyborg ran away scared because she would be tested in the UFC."

It was Ronda who dropped down first, saying she would fight Cyborg someday, just not now.  This was as soon as people started to talk about a fight between them.  She said she would win the belt at 135 then fight Cyborg.  As soon as she won, it was Cyborg's job to come to the champ, in Ronda's opinion.  Both women have knocks against them, as it were.  So don't try to pretend this is all on Cyborg.  Ronda saw a fight with her on the horizon and dropped right down.

And I can offer JDS a fight at 185, doesn't absolve me of anything.

2nd issue - UFC Star standards, how many fighters draw 400-500k per PPV on their first PPV. My guess is less then 15 which puts her in the top 5% of all fighters in the UFC. Maybe you mean she is not a top 3 draw, which is fine. I def put her in top 10 though and she might end up being a top 5 draw for the company.

3rd paragraph, I don't anyone that predicted more then 450k PPV buys, that is a great number, IMO.

4th paragraph, if she is the top 5-10 PPV names, I really doubt the UFC will be upset. I personally think she will be 3-5 on the list but that is me. You are right some casual fans who don't want to see girls might not buy it but a lot of women will buy the card which should more then make up for it. Look at the fan expo this past wknd and see how many girls flocked to Ronda everywhere she went. It's a whole new demo who doesn't normally buy UFC cards who only buy her cards at this point.

Cyborg can make 135, her own coach and a Dolce said she could. She left the UFC because she wanted more money, not because she couldn't make weight.
7/15/13 9:20 PM
56sav

Great. Ronda "1993 Royce" Rousey on the main card because she has tits and ass. Forget about the most highly skilled fighters on the planet.
Don't hate, just the truth baby.
7/16/13 2:20 PM

56sav - Great. Ronda "1993 Royce" Rousey on the main card because she has tits and ass. Forget about the most highly skilled fighters on the planet.
Don't hate, just the truth baby.

I don't get the hate for her, where has she shown you she does not possess other skills other then Judo? Just because other girls can't stop one aspect of Rondas game does not mean she doesn't have other skill sets.
You will bash Ronda because she has tits and a nice ass but I wonder what you say when you get a male wrestler who just takes a guy down and holds them there for 15 minutes. Personally I'd much rather watch Ronda finish someone in 1 round then a guy lay on top of another for 15 minutes for a boring win.
7/16/13 6:10 PM
SKARHEAD
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Never thought Honda fights should be main event material anyway.
7/16/13 6:16 PM
PrettyBoy
44 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If it ain't Dutch, it ain't much -
Barbalos - 
gokudamus - She's going to make a shitload of money. I would bet she's very very happy kinda sucks for a guy like Ben Henderson tho who I think hasn't been on a ppv as champ. Phone Post 3.0

And a guy who has been training MMA for a fuck of a lot longer. Don't matter, the girls are the new novelty, so fuck our established fighters, let's pay the legit woman fighter we have more and the guys who have way higher skills and who have trained way longer can fuck off.

Ronda headlining a card draws more buys then Henderson, I don't think anyone will deny this. You may not like watching her fight more, but she draws more buys which is all that matters right now.
Put Henderson vs Machida as the co main event on Bensons next fight and I bet he draws about the same...

People seem to forget how stacked UFC made her first card.

Seriously that's like putting Sonnen vs Vitor on a undercard for Benson vs Showtime and then accrediting everything to Benson. It's nonsense. Phone Post 3.0
7/16/13 7:21 PM

PrettyBoy - 
Barbalos - 
gokudamus - She's going to make a shitload of money. I would bet she's very very happy kinda sucks for a guy like Ben Henderson tho who I think hasn't been on a ppv as champ. Phone Post 3.0

And a guy who has been training MMA for a fuck of a lot longer. Don't matter, the girls are the new novelty, so fuck our established fighters, let's pay the legit woman fighter we have more and the guys who have way higher skills and who have trained way longer can fuck off.

Ronda headlining a card draws more buys then Henderson, I don't think anyone will deny this. You may not like watching her fight more, but she draws more buys which is all that matters right now.
Put Henderson vs Machida as the co main event on Bensons next fight and I bet he draws about the same...

Seriously that's like putting Sonnen vs Vitor on a undercard for Benson vs Showtime and then accrediting everything to Benson. It's nonsense. Phone Post 3.0

Whats funny is if the card did well you would say it was because of the co-main and if it did bad you would say it was because of the WMMA headlining the fight.

I think it's safe to say most people ordered that card for Rondas fight and not the co-main. Yes a few hardcores here ordered it for the co-main but the casual fan wanted to see Ronda because of all the media hype.
7/17/13 1:51 AM

Skunk Stink Sac Dog Breath - good to see more than just the fans are realizing the hype around this one trick pony is just that.

She can't take a punch, fellas.

Who cares, she is still good enough at Judo to win every match she has in the first round.

Also, why do you think she can't take a punch? In none of her fights has she really showed she can't take one because she just charges forward, gets clinch, gets throw, gets armbar and wins. Until someone can stop that and force a stand up battle, we will never know.
7/17/13 2:47 AM
PrettyBoy
44 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

PrettyBoy - 
Barbalos - 

Whats funny is if the card did well you would say it was because of the co-main and if it did bad you would say it was because of the WMMA headlining the fight.

I think it's safe to say most people ordered that card for Rondas fight and not the co-main. Yes a few hardcores here ordered it for the co-main but the casual fan wanted to see Ronda because of all the media hype.
I don't know one casual fan who ordered for Ronda... Nobody cares. It's like Christy Martin was for Don King... It was cool for a while to see a chick banging away like Tyson but the novelty of it wore off pretty fast.

King was giving her 500k per fight for a while but women's fighting is never going to take off for the same reason the 125ers will never be as popular as the average size guys.

Regular Joes in the back of their minds still see them as weak and it takes away the awe factor. Ronda and Tate by themselves cant headline without help. The card wold tank. Phone Post 3.0
7/17/13 2:50 AM
Glovegate

"Look at the fan expo this past wknd and see how many girls flocked to Ronda everywhere she went. It's a whole new demo who doesn't normally buy UFC cards who only buy her cards at this point."

I don't feel like that demo is as big as you wish it to be.

And all I'm saying is she has headlined 1 card so far.  It remains to be seen whether or not her 1 card, with more mainstream attention than Brock Lesnar, will be recreatable in terms of buys.

What we do know is that, with more media attention than Lesnar ever got, she never even came close to the numberof buys he got.  Less than half of his prime era, actually.  And this is the number one woman in the sport.  That's what you really have to put into perspective.  Women, on the whole, don't draw and the very best woman is, thus far, a moderate draw who has yet to prove her drawing power will be consistent.

7/17/13 3:15 AM
allforroy
79 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

36 VS 14 - Awesome title's fights.

Weidman vs silva II

Ronda vs tate II
Agreed. Zero complaints here. Phone Post 3.0
7/17/13 6:01 PM

DanTheWolfman - It is interesting questioning how this could greatly effect the buy rate, and therefore presumably her take of the PPV.

I assume once a PPV % is negotiated that that is good for both Main eventing and Co-main eventing at this point but IDK for sure? Does anyone?

I have heard that she had to negotiate hard to get 1% ppv pt. So does that = 1.4 Mil buys times $64.99 or whatever, times .40 app Zuffa take I think times .01???

I assume she got more then one point, most likely it's a tiered set up similar to what Randy had. I doubt she got the same amount per buy that he got but it's most likely structured so she has to sell X to get paid anything and then as she produces more buys, she makes more per buy.

Also, I believe if you look at Randys contract which was made public, it wouldn't matter where she was on the PPV. She would still get a % of the revenue generated.
7/17/13 6:05 PM

Glovegate - 

"Look at the fan expo this past wknd and see how many girls flocked to Ronda everywhere she went. It's a whole new demo who doesn't normally buy UFC cards who only buy her cards at this point."

I don't feel like that demo is as big as you wish it to be.

And all I'm saying is she has headlined 1 card so far.  It remains to be seen whether or not her 1 card, with more mainstream attention than Brock Lesnar, will be recreatable in terms of buys.

What we do know is that, with more media attention than Lesnar ever got, she never even came close to the numberof buys he got.  Less than half of his prime era, actually.  And this is the number one woman in the sport.  That's what you really have to put into perspective.  Women, on the whole, don't draw and the very best woman is, thus far, a moderate draw who has yet to prove her drawing power will be consistent.

I still think it's a large demo, I am not saying it's tens of millions of people but it's large enough to make a difference in the amount of buys.

I agree you can't base her success as a PPV draw off 1 card and we will need to wait to see how she does in her third show as we won't be able to gauge it on this show either.

As far as Brock, I agree. Brock is a once in a lifetime PPV type draw as they guy has a huge following. He not only had all the pro wrestling fans ordering, he had MMA fans and casual fans. I don't think that will be replicated anytime soon. At the same time just because Ronda is not at Brocks level, I wouldn't call her a failure. She will always be a draw to some degree, we will just have to wait and see how big of one she really is.

I think the build up with her and Tate could of been big (600k - 800k) because you would of got casual fans who saw her on TUF, fans who see her in mainstream plus hardcore fans who always order the NY show. The last two shows on that weekend have been HUGE so I wouldn't of expected this one to be any different if she was headlining it.
7/17/13 7:20 PM
7/13neverForget

McBottery -

Gonna be torn on whether I buy this card.  I normally wouldn't because the talent pool in womens MMA is an absolute joke and am not interested in watching the 1 decent WMMA fighter get another first round armbar.

But on the other hand, Anderson vs Weidman rematch...

Eh, maybe I'll just go to a bar for it.

invicta had great fights i was sceptical but still ordered invicta 6. well worth Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.