UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Ronda being moved to co-main event

7/14/13 8:38 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
If it ain't Dutch, it ain't much
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I really doubt she will admit this but she has to be extremely HAPPY that she is now the co-main. Yes she will get a bit less press now but she just got a huge pay increase. I think it's safe to assume she gets a % of the PPV money and my guess is the buys for this card went from 650k range to around 1.4 million. Basically Weidman just purchased Ronda a new house because she is about to get a HUGE pay increase because of the rematch being on her card.
7/14/13 8:42 PM
kevsh
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Or ... the UFC realized that Rousey isn't going to sell PPVs by herself. Sure she did it once - it was rather historic - but are fans going to be willing to keep paying to see her tap out opponents in the 1st?
7/14/13 8:42 PM
Barbalos

Sweet! Now we can pay 55$ to help the development of a sport that is nowhere nears it counterpart! We can pay 55$ to see what Royce was doing at UFC 1! I'm all for helping a new demographic, but lets not pretend a #1 fight at womens divisions is equal to LHW. It's not. And it won't be for a long time, just like BJJ after Royce. It's new, stop telling me that chicken shit is chicken parmesan.
7/14/13 8:56 PM

kevsh - Or ... the UFC realized that Rousey isn't going to sell PPVs by herself. Sure she did it once - it was rather historic - but are fans going to be willing to keep paying to see her tap out opponents in the 1st?

Of course they are, they want to see if someone can beat her.

After this card she will be the biggest draw in UFC history with 2 or more fights on PPV as she will average 1 mil + PPV buys per fight. Granted that will go down over time but I think she will always be a draw. A lot of girls and people who normally don't watch UFC will order her fights.

Also, the reason they put this fight on the card is because it was the only choice UFC had. Look at UFCs schedule, they couldn't really add another PPV date and only two places it made sense was in Vegas or on the Super Bowl card and I don't think the Super Bowl card will sell as well as the Vegas show. If they wanted it in Dallas or to have it on it's own show, they would have to put it off until March of next year which is a long ways away and allows some of the hype to die down.
7/14/13 8:58 PM

Barbalos - Sweet! Now we can pay 55$ to help the development of a sport that is nowhere nears it counterpart! We can pay 55$ to see what Royce was doing at UFC 1! I'm all for helping a new demographic, but lets not pretend a #1 fight at womens divisions is equal to LHW. It's not. And it won't be for a long time, just like BJJ after Royce. It's new, stop telling me that chicken shit is chicken parmesan.

Who is telling you it is the same?

Some people enjoy watching WMMA and others do not. I find it hard to believe anyone can watch an Invicta card and not be entertained. Also, when looking at the few UFC fights the women have had, they have for the most part been very entertaining.
7/14/13 9:26 PM
MT11

Of course Ronda can't sell a ppv alone Phone Post 3.0
7/14/13 9:29 PM
gokudamus

She's going to make a shitload of money. I would bet she's very very happy kinda sucks for a guy like Ben Henderson tho who I think hasn't been on a ppv as champ. Phone Post 3.0
7/14/13 9:34 PM
Pancake Syrup Ali
556 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

gokudamus - She's going to make a shitload of money. I would bet she's very very happy kinda sucks for a guy like Ben Henderson tho who I think hasn't been on a ppv as champ. Phone Post 3.0

Wasn't Edgar-Bendo 2 on PPV?

7/14/13 9:35 PM
Barbalos

gokudamus - She's going to make a shitload of money. I would bet she's very very happy kinda sucks for a guy like Ben Henderson tho who I think hasn't been on a ppv as champ. Phone Post 3.0

And a guy who has been training MMA for a fuck of a lot longer. Don't matter, the girls are the new novelty, so fuck our established fighters, let's pay the legit woman fighter we have more and the guys who have way higher skills and who have trained way longer can fuck off.
7/14/13 9:37 PM

Barbalos - 

And a guy who has been training MMA for a fuck of a lot longer. Don't matter, the girls are the new novelty, so fuck our established fighters, let's pay the legit woman fighter we have more and the guys who have way higher skills and who have trained way longer can fuck off.

Ronda headlining a card draws more buys then Henderson, I don't think anyone will deny this. You may not like watching her fight more, but she draws more buys which is all that matters right now.
7/14/13 9:44 PM
XcessiveZ
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thank god.Rousey headlining a NYE show would've been very disappointing.ESPECIALLY fighting someone she's already finished in 1 round.Not really interested in WMMA personally. Phone Post 3.0
7/14/13 9:46 PM
crazydave
189 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have no interest in watching women fight.

7/14/13 9:46 PM
gokudamus

If it ain't Dutch, it ain't much -
Barbalos - 

Ronda headlining a card draws more buys then Henderson, I don't think anyone will deny this. You may not like watching her fight more, but she draws more buys which is all that matters right now.
I have no doubt Ronda is a bigger draw but Ben has paid his dues and has been stuck on free cards for a while it seems. Ronda probably made more in her first fight than Ben has made his whole career. Phone Post 3.0
7/14/13 9:50 PM
SteveD
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

After what I saw last night... Honda doesn't interest me. Cyborg at a fair catchweight, would maul her into oblivion.

7/14/13 9:52 PM

gokudamus - 
Barbalos - 

I have no doubt Ronda is a bigger draw but Ben has paid his dues and has been stuck on free cards for a while it seems. Ronda probably made more in her first fight than Ben has made his whole career. Phone Post 3.0

You can argue Ben lost his past few fights where you can't argue she lost.

I do agree though, he should be on a PPV soon and he will be against Pettis. Crappy thing fir him though, is I think Pettis will take the belt from him.
7/14/13 9:54 PM

SteveD - 

After what I saw last night... Honda doesn't interest me. Cyborg at a fair catchweight, would maul her into oblivion.

Let me get this right, because you think a better fighter exists (Cyborg>Rousey) you are no longer interested in watching her fight?

If thats the case are you interested in watching fighters like Pat Barry, Roy Nelson, Mark Hunt, Cerrone, Diaz Brothers, etc.. fight because they are not the best at their weight class but still put on a heck of a show.
7/14/13 9:57 PM
Got Reach
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

crazydave -

I have no interest in watching women fight.

Not exactly what I'm wanting to watch either tbh :/ Phone Post
7/14/13 9:59 PM
RJJH
43 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

she shuld be moved to invicta.

UFC  "zero whores since '94!!"

7/14/13 10:02 PM
ThickS0lid N Right
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

SteveD - 

Let me get this right, because you think a better fighter exists (Cyborg>Rousey) you are no longer interested in watching her fight?

If thats the case are you interested in watching fighters like Pat Barry, Roy Nelson, Mark Hunt, Cerrone, Diaz Brothers, etc.. fight because they are not the best at their weight class but still put on a heck of a show.
Not even its like saying you didn't like Anderson because you think jones Is better.. They aren't in the same weight class or organization for that matter Phone Post 3.0
7/14/13 10:15 PM

ThickS0lid N Right - 
SteveD - 

Not even its like saying you didn't like Anderson because you think jones Is better.. They aren't in the same weight class or organization for that matter Phone Post 3.0

That is a very good example.

I really don't get the hate for WMMA, they put on great fights.

Whats funny is the same people who are on here saying they're not as skilled as the guys so they don't want to pay for it, will pay to go to the local amateur show in their hometown. I just don't get it.
7/14/13 10:19 PM
SteveD
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If it ain't Dutch, it ain't much - 
SteveD - 

Good question and fair...  My point is simply that the ability of Honda is not on the level of Cyborg. I think there were several fighters that Invicta showcased last night at a higher overall skillset. Rousey is a one trick poney and will be exposed as better competition moves in. For now.... the UFC will protect her because she puts ass's in seats. The little brazillian chick who fought before the main event looked infanantly more skilled than rousey.

7/14/13 10:22 PM
MMALOGIC

i believe you only get ppv if you're the main event.... that's why dana was talking about moving ronda to superbowl weekend... that was probably a way to negotiate something to keep her on the card.  They're probably paying her on a 450k buy estimate.

7/14/13 10:23 PM
SteveD

If it ain't Dutch, it ain't much - 
ThickS0lid N Right - 
SteveD - 

That is a very good example.

I really don't get the hate for WMMA, they put on great fights.

Whats funny is the same people who are on here saying they're not as skilled as the guys so they don't want to pay for it, will pay to go to the local amateur show in their hometown. I just don't get it.

LOL, I actually think the women are more skilled. They have to depend on technique do to a lack of physical power. I love womens MMA for the record.

7/14/13 10:25 PM
shaqitup
39 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

650k is probably double what it would have been.

7/14/13 10:26 PM
McBottery

Gonna be torn on whether I buy this card.  I normally wouldn't because the talent pool in womens MMA is an absolute joke and am not interested in watching the 1 decent WMMA fighter get another first round armbar.

But on the other hand, Anderson vs Weidman rematch...

Eh, maybe I'll just go to a bar for it.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.