UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> French judo champion Teddy Riner in MMA

7/14/13 9:01 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
mike hammer
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Have you guys followed this guy at all? He's a 5 time world judo champion and he stands 6'8 and is around 300lbs. They call him the Karelin of Judo. He's an absolute beast with great technique. On top of that he's only like 24 years old so he's still a very young lad.

How do you think he would fair in MMA if he decided to move forward with it? Also does anyone know if he has any interest in doing it? Would be very interesting to see how he would do against the heavyweights currently in the UFC.
7/14/13 9:14 PM
SpartanFightClub
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Riner already said that he doesnt like mma at all.

He already make a lot of money, it's judo or nothing else Phone Post
7/14/13 9:15 PM
raags
71 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He has no interest in MMA and thinks it is morally bankrupt

I'm sure he is athletic and talented enough to become a real star... but if he doesn't want to fight, it is all moot

7/14/13 9:25 PM
T Bag

He's a physical and athletic marvel..even a level or two above Brock.
It would be great to see him give MMA a shot but he has no interest
7/14/13 10:44 PM
DissOfKeath

He has the antidote to Cain's style, but you know he'll get his skull crushed if he steps in with Dos Santos. Let him stay in Judo.
7/14/13 11:22 PM
Unseen
161 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

300 pounds with under 10% body fat. How the hell would he come close to 265? Phone Post 3.0
7/14/13 11:24 PM
Wasa-B
314 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Too big and does not have an MMA friendly style. Brock is a wrestler doing monster power dubs, Riner is pretty classical judo, up right and very gi reliant. Not sure he is any good on the ground either.
7/14/13 11:29 PM
Purgey
57 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Unseen - 300 pounds with under 10% body fat. How the hell would he come close to 265? Phone Post 3.0
Draining 35 pounds of water is probably easier at 300 pounds than it would be for Tibau at LW. Phone Post 3.0
7/15/13 8:21 AM
AlexinTO

Didn't a past his prime Fedor show what happens to Olympic gold medal judokas recently when they fight MMA?

I think he literally broke his face. Phone Post 3.0
7/15/13 8:26 AM
Gomrad
72 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

raags -

I'm sure he is athletic and talented enough to become a real star... but if he doesn't want to fight, it is all moot

Morally bankrupt = Scurred Frenchman Phone Post 3.0
7/15/13 8:28 AM
Larry Appleton
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

he would be a beast Phone Post 3.0
7/15/13 8:31 AM
Mertvaya Ruka

Edited: 07/15/13 8:31 AM
he would struggle to make 265. like mccorkle, the cut would drain him.
7/15/13 8:47 AM
TeamRenzo

I looked at a few pics of him and he doesnt look anywhere near 6'8" and 300lbs
7/15/13 8:51 AM
Motivated Penn
70 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The skills and physique that are relevant to judo only barely intersect with the ones relevant to MMA. I think he would do about as well as Roger Gracie, nothing more. He'd CRUSH at amateur and low level MMA, but has no business in the UFC, for example.

And before anybody brings up Ronda, she is not fighting a large pool of highly skilled fighters, there are nearly no participants in her gender and weight class.
7/15/13 9:00 AM
Tilla

Dude would RAGDOLL the HW Division.

Can you imagine Cormier/Riner or Barnett/Riner? Holy shit!
7/15/13 9:03 AM
Devlin
85 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TeamRenzo - I looked at a few pics of him and he doesnt look anywhere near 6'8" and 300lbs
He might not look it but he is, guys a giant. Phone Post
7/15/13 9:03 AM
BadrMilk

Edited: 07/15/13 9:04 AM
He would have a plan, until he'd get punched in the face.
7/15/13 4:28 PM
Wasa-B
314 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sliva_Plated_Fedor - 
Gomrad -
raags -

To be fair though, we are talking about Fedor here - he broke just about everyone's face. And he was a hell of a Judoka himself - they just call it Sumbo over in mother Russia.

Teddy has no desire to come to MMA - why would he - where's the upside? 8/8 for his first fight? He prolly makes more at a seminar. This is the sort of talent the UFC and MMA in general are missing out on because the UFC are shortchanging their fighters. Phone Post 3.0

I think Fedor placed 3rd in Russia as a HW which has a very competitive HW div usually, many HW judo champs have been from Russia. Judo and sambo are trained interchangably in Russia but its not the same thing however esp combat Sambo which Fedor also competed in.
7/15/13 4:34 PM
AlexinTO

Wasa-B -
Sliva_Plated_Fedor - 
Gomrad -
raags -

To be fair though, we are talking about Fedor here - he broke just about everyone's face. And he was a hell of a Judoka himself - they just call it Sumbo over in mother Russia.

Teddy has no desire to come to MMA - why would he - where's the upside? 8/8 for his first fight? He prolly makes more at a seminar. This is the sort of talent the UFC and MMA in general are missing out on because the UFC are shortchanging their fighters. Phone Post 3.0

I think Fedor placed 3rd in Russia as a HW which has a very competitive HW div usually, many HW judo champs have been from Russia. Judo and sambo are trained interchangably in Russia but its not the same thing however esp combat Sambo which Fedor also competed in.
I've been schooled but what you say makes sense! Phone Post 3.0
7/15/13 4:54 PM
YouCantHandleMyRiddum
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Unseen - 300 pounds with under 10% body fat. How the hell would he come close to 265? Phone Post 3.0

To be fair, he probably sweats out 20 lbs after an intense workout.

7/15/13 5:10 PM
stevekt
643 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sliva_Plated_Fedor -
Gomrad -
raags -

Judo is not the same as Sumbo. Sumbo is Sumo plus Boxing. Phone Post
7/15/13 5:15 PM
MEOWticket
420 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In Phone Post
7/15/13 7:07 PM
mike hammer
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I did a little research and I read that he can make close to a million a year already with his sponsors so the UFC wouldn't pay him enough to motivate him to get in the cage. Would help their cause getting events into France though that's for sure.
7/15/13 9:22 PM
Larry Appleton
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've started a couple threads on Riner...if he gets offered BIG money I think he would take some fights Phone Post 3.0
7/15/13 11:44 PM
OCJudoTrngCtr
44 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Riner will go down as one of the greatest heavyweight judo champions of all time. I am skeptical that it would necessarily transfer over to MMA.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.